Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Take it to the track - ok, but where?

I don't think there is any track in the US where a 330 can hit 155mph...

Summit Point Main has a very long straight and I was only able to do something like 125, not more. And then you have to brake hard all the way down to some 40mph, which is a very dangerous thing to do from 125mph...

I think maybe you could do it on the 'Ring, it has a a couple of very very long straights. But that's over in Germany, not easily reachable.

I see absolutely nothing wrong in maxxing out your car on a deserted hwy with excellent visibility, in clear weather conditions.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Take it to the track - ok, but where?

I don't think there is any track in the US where a 330 can hit 155mph...
That and the fact it will only go 130 without SP and 149 with SP.

Unless, your talking about the coupe maybe ?
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:09 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
That and the fact it will only go 130 without SP and 149 with SP.

Unless, your talking about the coupe maybe ?
No, I have an E46 sedan with the Perf Package which is limited to 155.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
No, I have an E46 sedan with the Perf Package which is limited to 155.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Ahh ... since this was in the E90/E91/E92/E93 forum I was not thinking of that ...
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-29-2006, 06:13 AM
acd483 acd483 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: Porsche Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
driving 140 mph on US roads is what I would consider a bad driving skill.
Well because it's America, driving 140 mph is insane because we have crappy roads and poor drivers...I agree.

Quote:
The simple fact that you believe what you said above ... makes a conspiracy theory. "The Government is out to get your money."
So anytime the government lies to us and we call them on it...that constitutes a conspiracy theory? I'm not seeing black helicopters. Are you telling me that speed traps aren't out there to collect money? C'mon man.

Quote:
The sole purpose of speeding tickets is not for government revenue; it's to help insure safety on the road. Believe me .... I just got a ticket for not using a turn signal in a turn lane that had a turn arrow ... (that might be considered government revenue), but giving a ticket to speeders is just part of life (I go 80 mph in a 70 and I expect sooner or later I will get a ticket).
Not using a turn signal is actually more dangerous than driving 10 mph faster on the highway. You must agree, no?

Quote:
Can our roads handle faster than 70mph, some can for sure. However, our driving culture is not such that if they were to make the speed limit 140 mph that it would be safe.
Go drive in Europe. You'll realize that about 2% of the drivers on the highway drive over 100mph. That speaks to my point. People drive the speed at which they are comfortable. Most people find comfort in driving ~60-70mph. Those who drive faster because they'll fall asleep at 65 take the same risk of being ticketed every time. Take away speed limits and all you're left with is a lack of revenue. It's a simple equation, which is why I'm arguing that this is not conspiracy theory...it's simple logic.

Quote:
It's simple physics ... if you don't get it .... you're being blinded to intelligent thinking.

If you're going twice as fast, it takes you twice as much distance (if not more) to react to something or someone in the roadway that has pulled out in front of you. If I'm expecting a car to be traveling at 70 roughly, and I pull out in front of a car going 140 ... you're going to have one hell of a time avoiding an accident.
Huh? When are you going to be in situation to pull out infront of a car going 140? End the hyperbole...it doesn't prove any point. There are only a few situations where it is safe to drive in triple digits. One being a superhighway with multiple lanes, good road surface and the ability to see far down the road in order to anticipate any potential surprises. No one is advocating driving 140 down a local road.

Quote:
Like I said .... If you want to drive 140 mph, get the speed limits changed. If we're all driving by the same rules it will be much safer.
Again, changing the speed limits has nothing to do with the feasibility of driving 140. What you really need is to redirect government spending on what it should be focused on...infrastructure being of great importance. We need good roads. We need strict and intensive driving tests and most of all, a change in attitude of American drivers. We are amongst the worst in the world. People completely disobey the most important rule of the road...the meaning of each lane. Left for passing, middle for fast drivers and right lanes for slower traffic and trucks. That is what should be posted in place of speed limit signs.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483
So anytime the government lies to us and we call them on it...that constitutes a conspiracy theory? I'm not seeing black helicopters. Are you telling me that speed traps aren't out there to collect money? C'mon man.
When did the government start telling us lies about speeding. I believe they've always said ... if you speed we will give you a ticket. The thought that the only reason they give tickets is to generate revenue is the conspiracy you're spewing. This might happen in small town hickville, but not metro Atlanta. If they wanted to generate revenue by speeding they could make a billion dollars. The average speed on Atlanta Hwy's is extreemly high. They only pull over the idiots driving too fast for conditions or just plain being stupid. Anyway, you keep believinng the only reason they give out tickets is to generate revenue ... it doesn't matter to me what you believe so I'll stop trying to show you otherwise. I'll conceed that we just see things different and were at an inpass on that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483
Not using a turn signal is actually more dangerous than driving 10 mph faster on the highway. You must agree, no?
Agreed, but sitting STOPPED in a TURN LANE and then turning when you have a GREEN TURN ARROW and everyone else has a redlight seems a bit much. However, I paid my fine as it's clearly stated in the GA law books that you must use a signal by hand or by car turn signal anytime you turn your wheel to change lanes or to make any turn. The frustrating thing about it is that I use my turn signal about 90% of the time. I can't say 100% cause I do forget or get lazy from time to time. Oh well, lesson learned ... I'm going for 100% now. So maybe in some backward way the officer will end up saving my life or someone elses because I'll be more careful about using a turn signal. Who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483
Go drive in Europe. You'll realize that about 2% of the drivers on the highway drive over 100mph. That speaks to my point. People drive the speed at which they are comfortable. Most people find comfort in driving ~60-70mph. Those who drive faster because they'll fall asleep at 65 take the same risk of being ticketed every time. Take away speed limits and all you're left with is a lack of revenue. It's a simple equation, which is why I'm arguing that this is not conspiracy theory...it's simple logic.
However, those driving 60-70 mph EXPECT there to be people driving faster. They stay out of the fastlanes and give way to faster cars. That doesn't happen here. If the speed limits were changed and everyone was expecting people to drive at or above 100 ... no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483
Huh? When are you going to be in situation to pull out infront of a car going 140? End the hyperbole...it doesn't prove any point. There are only a few situations where it is safe to drive in triple digits. One being a superhighway with multiple lanes, good road surface and the ability to see far down the road in order to anticipate any potential surprises. No one is advocating driving 140 down a local road.
That's good to hear, however, the point was that if other drivers are expecting you to be driving at 60-70 ... they cannot judge a safe distance because of your speed. They have no idea you're going 140mph ... you just can't tell. If they are expecting you to be going 70 ... they may pull out into the road. If you made a mistake and did not see them on that open road or thought that they were not going to pull out, they it's going to be hard to avoid an accident. However, like I said above if the speed limits were 140 then they should know better than to pull out infront of you ... that doesn't just mean a pull out from a dead stop ... I'm talking about if they pull out into the fast lane to move around a slower car. If you're running at 140mph it doesn't give them much of a chance to judge safety in their review mirror.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483
Again, changing the speed limits has nothing to do with the feasibility of driving 140. What you really need is to redirect government spending on what it should be focused on...infrastructure being of great importance. We need good roads. We need strict and intensive driving tests and most of all, a change in attitude of American drivers. We are amongst the worst in the world. People completely disobey the most important rule of the road...the meaning of each lane. Left for passing, middle for fast drivers and right lanes for slower traffic and trucks. That is what should be posted in place of speed limit signs.
Changing the speed limit would require all that you said ... I guess I figured that was kinda a given, but I can see where what I said was not clear. So on this point I do agree with you.
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood

Last edited by Davisjl; 06-29-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-29-2006, 04:48 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,367
Mein Auto: Moped
Just one point: speed limits do exist for generating revenues.

Near my house there is a major road that has 35 mph speed limits. Except for one block where the limit drops to 25 mph (24 hours a day). That one block is 25 mph because there's a senior center off the road. In 4 years I've never seen a senior out there.

But boy do I see cops camped out there all the time. They sit in the shadows on bikes with radar guns. That one block allows them to snag person after person for doing 40 mph (which the road and conditions easily support in that 35 zone).

Good revenue (15 mph over the limit = ouch in CA) and it's little more than a speedtrap.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 PM
acd483 acd483 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: Porsche Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
When did the government start telling us lies about speeding. I believe they've always said ... if you speed we will give you a ticket.
You've got to stay on topic. No one has said that the government has lied and told us that you can speed and not get a ticket. What they lie about, as I've clearly stated, is the intent of speed limits. Speed limits, are touted as safety devices. Infact, the rediculous speed limits that are imposed upon us in many states are a hold over from the energy crisis in the '70s...drive slower, use less gas. Prior to that most states had reasonable limits of 70-75mph, many loosely enforced. After the energy crises the federal government withheld funding for transportation projects unless each state kept the 55mph limit. In the mid '90s this legislation was repealed, but clearly the increased revenue and the government's outright blackmail has persuaded many states to keep the 55 limit.

You tell me where "safety" has come into play?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-29-2006, 07:41 PM
westwest888's Avatar
westwest888 westwest888 is offline
Banned
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,181
Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscamp
Our nation's highways are definitely getting worse as a result of the major budget shifting in order to support our 'Democracy' endeavors in the Middle East. Just my opinion---not a rant.
I guess you're free, so who cares right? Great nation states have an obligation to provide humanitarian services to their fellow man. When a tyranny threatens US prosperity our steadfast response is paramount.

Quote:
John F. Kennedy:

"The wave of the future is not the conquest of the world by a single dogmatic creed but the liberation of the diverse energies of free nations and free men."
50 million Iraqis are free. That's a start. Look to the leaders of the past, not whatever the New York Times spins this week or what Nancy Pelosi says grandstanding in front of news cameras.

Last edited by westwest888; 06-29-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Vornado's Avatar
Vornado Vornado is offline
Protect your (lug) nuts
Location: N. Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,576
Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
__________________
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483
You've got to stay on topic. No one has said that the government has lied and told us that you can speed and not get a ticket. What they lie about, as I've clearly stated, is the intent of speed limits. Speed limits, are touted as safety devices. Infact, the rediculous speed limits that are imposed upon us in many states are a hold over from the energy crisis in the '70s...drive slower, use less gas. Prior to that most states had reasonable limits of 70-75mph, many loosely enforced. After the energy crises the federal government withheld funding for transportation projects unless each state kept the 55mph limit. In the mid '90s this legislation was repealed, but clearly the increased revenue and the government's outright blackmail has persuaded many states to keep the 55 limit.

You tell me where "safety" has come into play?
Like I said before ... you keep believing what you want ... I just don't care anymore.
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM
paraboloid paraboloid is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 167
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkIRM3Vert
I believe it has to do with the speed rating on the tires and also what BMW believes is appropriate for the car's suspension setup. Hence the different limits on different models.
In Germany all cars limited to 250km/h. It doesn't matter if you have a sport package or not. I think it's the NA marketing department shows some work.
Yeah, I agree about tires. Turanza is total crap. Sometimes I can spin my wheels even in the second gear on dry road and it gets much worse on wet.

Last edited by paraboloid; 06-29-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-30-2006, 04:59 AM
acd483 acd483 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: Porsche Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
Like I said before ... you keep believing what you want ... I just don't care anymore.
Thanks, you just made me laugh. It's just rare to come across someone who defends speed limits...kinda like defending tax increases.

Bottom line...when government limits our freedom to an unnecessary extent, there's always a less-than-rosy reason behind it.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483
Thanks, you just made me laugh. It's just rare to come across someone who defends speed limits...kinda like defending tax increases.

Bottom line...when government limits our freedom to an unnecessary extent, there's always a less-than-rosy reason behind it.
I didn't defend the current speed limits ... unless your saying I defend the fact that there is a need for some type of speed limits? I would support anyone that said they need to raise the speed limits, but there should still be some limits and we all need to follow those rules. If you don't follow those rules, I don't see where it would be wrong to get a fine for it. I believe, weather its right or wrong, that it's safer on the PUBLIC roads when we are all following the SAME rules.

You did say one thing that made me think ....

Regarding police officers generating revenue via speeding tickets ... After thinking about it for a bit I am 100% for this. I think all police departments should be doing this. It's a great thing. Maybe they would be able to ticket enough people that we could actually lower the taxes some.

Think about it ... instead of a tax where everyone is forced to pay by the police power of the government, you would shift that burden to a voluntary payment. If you CHOOSE to speed and you get caught, you'd have to pay. As long as you follow the laws setup by your chosen government officials, you'd not have to pay into the system.


It's a great idea ....
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:17 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
Think about it ... instead of a tax where everyone is forced to pay by the police power of the government, you would shift that burden to a voluntary payment. If you CHOOSE to speed and you get caught, you'd have to pay. As long as you follow the laws setup by your chosen government officials, you'd not have to pay into the system.


It's a great idea ....
Not a great idea!

If their livelyhood depended on ticketing you, they would inevitably start creating false reasons for doing so.

It would be the worst experiment possible...

adc
03 330 ZHP
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:26 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888
I guess you're free, so who cares right? Great nation states have an obligation to provide humanitarian services to their fellow man.
Oh yeah? Where the hell were you from 1945 to 1990? There were some 60-70 million people all over Eastern Europe who didn't exactly relish being handed over to Communist Russia after the war.

Quote:
50 million Iraqis are free. That's a start. Look to the leaders of the past, not whatever the New York Times spins this week or what Nancy Pelosi says grandstanding in front of news cameras.
Well how about the millions and millions of North Koreans? They've been essentially starving for some 20 years or more, much worse than Iraqis. Of course, we don't go there because:
1. There's no oil.
2. They actually have nukes. (No need to invent them ).

It's just so conveninent when we selectively apply the "humanitarian" efforts without any regard to the actual state of need of those people... I didn't even mention various countries in Africa...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping others by helping ourselves in the process. But let's not kid ourselves - we aren't in Iraq for the Iraqis. We're in it for the oil - so just admit it and move forward. And stop all the grandstanding and BS.


To keep this sort of on topic, I wonder if anyone knows what the speed limit is in Iraq?

adc
03 330 ZHP
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Not a great idea!

If their livelyhood depended on ticketing you, they would inevitably start creating false reasons for doing so.

It would be the worst experiment possible...

adc
03 330 ZHP
If they started making up false reason then that would be a crime in itself.

It public has to take some responsiblity to control the situation ... Remember we live in a Republic, we elect the officals. If we don't take responsibilty for our actions then we don't deserve to be free.

If there is corruption, vote it out. I don't have any simpathy for those that either don't vote or vote uniformed.

Maybe iif they started giving false tickets out all over the place it would generate more public awareness and then we could actually get some good public response.
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:32 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
If they started making up false reason then that would be a crime in itself.

It public has to take some responsiblity to control the situation ... Remember we live in a Republic, we elect the officals. If we don't take responsibilty for our actions then we don't deserve to be free.

If there is corruption, vote it out. I don't have any simpathy for those that either don't vote or vote uniformed.

Maybe iif they started giving false tickets out all over the place it would generate more public awareness and then we could actually get some good public response.
All true, in theory.

But you can help theory along with smart decisions, or not. I'm just saying your approach would create more problems than it would solve.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Oh yeah? Where the hell were you from 1945 to 1990? There were some 60-70 million people all over Eastern Europe who didn't exactly relish being handed over to Communist Russia after the war.



Well how about the millions and millions of North Koreans? They've been essentially starving for some 20 years or more, much worse than Iraqis. Of course, we don't go there because:
1. There's no oil.
2. They actually have nukes. (No need to invent them ).

It's just so conveninent when we selectively apply the "humanitarian" efforts without any regard to the actual state of need of those people... I didn't even mention various countries in Africa...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping others by helping ourselves in the process. But let's not kid ourselves - we aren't in Iraq for the Iraqis. We're in it for the oil - so just admit it and move forward. And stop all the grandstanding and BS.


To keep this sort of on topic, I wonder if anyone knows what the speed limit is in Iraq?

adc
03 330 ZHP
Oh stop the bleeding heart liberal and Libertarian talking points.

Where I am sure that Oil had something to do with why we are in Iraq, I don't think it's the only or main reason.

We used over 10 YEARS of sanctions and negotiations to try and get them to behave.

Remember, Sadaam invaded Kuwait (sp). He signed an peace agreement that said he would disarm and PROVE IT. We went through 10 YEARS of him thumbing his nose at that agreement. The problem was he wouldn't PROVE he disarmed. What other option was there but to go in there and find out for ourselves ...

I for one stand behind the decision and feel much more safe because of it. I'd rather KNOW that Sadaam didn't and doesn't have WMD than only have a vague idea that maybe he doesn't.

Also, we had an avenue to go to war with Iraq. They signed an agreement for a cease fire that allowed us to resume hostility if they did not Properly PROVE they disarmed.

I don't think we have such an agreement with North Korea or for that matter Iran.

You can argue the political nature of war and say there were other options ... I will agree with that, but don't fool yourself into thinking the big bad government was just out for Oil ...

I know before you even post there is not need to argue ... this is a very polar issue in America and I'm not going to convince you to change your view .... just as you're not going to change mine ...

So post a response if you want the last word on this issue, but I'm not going to respond further and go down this road arguing this point on a Car Forum ...
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood

Last edited by Davisjl; 06-30-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
All true, in theory.

But you can help theory along with smart decisions, or not. I'm just saying your approach would create more problems than it would solve.

adc
03 330 ZHP
There is a lot of sarcasm in my post ... I'm not suggesting it's the best way. Just making the point that if you want to drive fast, change the laws. If not, don't blame the police for giving you a ticket because they want to generate revenue by enforcing that law. That was my point the whole time.

I agree ... I would LOVE the speed limits to be increase, however there is a lot more to increasing speed limits than just chaning the signs. As you have stated before.
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood

Last edited by Davisjl; 06-30-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
Oh stop the bleeding heart liberal and Libertarian talking points.
Why? Because you say so? Edit: What I mean is, this is who I am and how I think, and I haven't heard a single valid reason here to change it...

Quote:
Where I am sure that Oil had something to do with why we are in Iraq


Quote:
I for one stand behind the decision and feel much more safe because of it.
Well that's probably because you're not in the active service. Just remember that for every political decision we make at home, somebody's son somewhere may have to pay the price. So we'd better make some really smart decisions, which I am convinced we didn't make in this case.

That's all I'm saying, and I won't argue with you anymore...

adc
03 330 ZHP

Last edited by adc; 06-30-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Davisjl's Avatar
Davisjl Davisjl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc

That's all I'm saying, and I won't argue with you anymore...

adc
03 330 ZHP
Thank you ... I'm sure our political views are much closer to the same than you think ....
__________________
2006 325i
ZPP
iDrive/Navi
Steptronic
Logic 7
Adaptive Headlghts
Satellite Radio
Heated Front Seats
Comfort Access
Chrome Tips
Sparkling Graphic Metalic/Beige Dakota Leather/Poplar Wood
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-30-2006, 04:39 PM
westwest888's Avatar
westwest888 westwest888 is offline
Banned
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,181
Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Well how about the millions and millions of North Koreans? They've been essentially starving for some 20 years or more, much worse than Iraqis. Of course, we don't go there because:
1. There's no oil.
2. They actually have nukes. (No need to invent them ).

It's just so conveninent when we selectively apply the "humanitarian" efforts without any regard to the actual state of need of those people... I didn't even mention various countries in Africa...
The North Korean situation isn't as approachable because they share a border with China, who can call up an Army with more soldiers than the total number of people North America. We can't do anything on the ground of the Korean peninsula without China's blessing, else we're in for WWIII. In the meantime we provide humanitarian aid in the form of free food and attempt diplomacy in the face of diatribes from a mentally ill Kim Jong III.

The oil war argument is not defensible--if we wanted the oil, we'd seize it. Instead it'll end up on the open market for $70 a barrel where Brazil, Russia, India and China will consume most of it.

We get 15% of our oil from Africa too, but that's not why we "lend" them billions a year in aid (the debt is later forgiven). If there was a need for a significant deployment there we'd have more soliders on the ground, but thankfully there isn't.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-30-2006, 06:40 PM
KevinC's Avatar
KevinC KevinC is offline
your average JAMF
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,051
Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 PM
fidozoom fidozoom is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cary, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 321
Mein Auto: 2007 MB 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisjl
I for one stand behind the decision and feel much more safe because of it. I'd rather KNOW that Sadaam didn't and doesn't have WMD than only have a vague idea that maybe he doesn't.
And the only price for this feeling of safety is a few hundred iraqi children's heads blown out and a few hundred innocent iraqis left with only half their bodies.

if you had really felt this has no place in a car forum, that's all you'd have said.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very impressive snow performance BazBoy 3 Series / 4 Series 34 12-10-2003 04:13 AM
Man, that snow out there is impressive... Nick325xiT 5spd General BMW 86 02-18-2003 05:53 AM
Another impressive land slide, this one even bigger and more incredible. dredmo Off-Topic 1 01-02-2003 01:01 PM
M3 is quiet impressive. (my impression) LIL RAJA M Series 5 06-30-2002 10:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms