Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-04-2006, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Is it just me?

As a new BMW owner, I have noticed that other drivers on the road seem to be more aggressive when in proximity to me. In less than 2 weeks of getting the car, I have been nearly run off the road twice by morons trying to pass (to the point where they are more in my lane than I), endless tailgating, oncoming traffic crossing over the lanes, zero regard for "right-of-way" and not to mention the inevitable "wanna race" at stoplights. The latter is to be expected, somewhat, and is mostly harmless. The other behavior is much more threatening and dangerous.

I'm interested to hear if others have experienced similar behavior. Or, am I being paranoid?
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 320d SE
Yeh your just being paranoid !!! Thats standard driving in the UK
Old 07-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer
As a new BMW owner, I have noticed that other drivers on the road seem to be more aggressive when in proximity to me. In less than 2 weeks of getting the car, I have been nearly run off the road twice by morons trying to pass (to the point where they are more in my lane than I), endless tailgating, oncoming traffic crossing over the lanes, zero regard for "right-of-way" and not to mention the inevitable "wanna race" at stoplights. The latter is to be expected, somewhat, and is mostly harmless. The other behavior is much more threatening and dangerous.

I'm interested to hear if others have experienced similar behavior. Or, am I being paranoid?
As a new BMW owner, I have nearly run a few drivers off of the road demonstrating the supreme handling and accleration of my vehicle.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888
As a new BMW owner, I have nearly run a few drivers off of the road demonstrating the supreme handling and accleration of my vehicle.
Xenons also make people lacking auto-dimming mirrors move outta my way.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: .
You're being paranoid.
I only get the wanna race thing. And not often enough to mention.
I do most of the passing. Usually, I look after the pass and invariably it's someone on the phone. Do you use the phone much?
- Frank Rizzo

Last edited by Boile; 07-04-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile
You're being paranoid.
I do most of the passing. Usually, I look after the pass and invariably it's someone on the phone. Do you use the phone much?

That is so often the case! Morons driving slow in the left lane, so you blow by them on the right and they're on the freakin phone!

One more reason to get the ZHB package.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer
As a new BMW owner, I have noticed that other drivers on the road seem to be more aggressive when in proximity to me.
I haven't experienced this but a lot of 911 owners report the same thing. I guess some people just want to prove their "average" car can take a highly regarded sporting car.

Alan
Old 07-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
I haven't experienced this but a lot of 911 owners report the same thing. I guess some people just want to prove their "average" car can take a highly regarded sporting car.

Alan

Yeah, it's especially stupid when someone in their big-a$$ pimped out pickup challenges you. ZHB!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit
That is so often the case! Morons driving slow in the left lane, so you blow by them on the right and they're on the freakin phone!

One more reason to get the ZHB package.

left lane squatters
Old 07-04-2006, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330, 04 R6, 02 vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888
Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Would Rather Be Driving

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
It is not just you. At least around here, drivers are noticeably more aggressive if you are driving a shiny new car. There are a lot of nice cars here, so I don't think it's jealousy so much as an assumption that you'll move because you don't want to hurt your nifty car.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerTwin

Alan
So true. Just tell them they're not worth your time, effort, and gas. If they keep bothering you, just rev the engine in neutral and drown them out.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Tailgating is about the only thing I will not accept when it comes to stupid drivers. For some reason it bothers me unlike anything else. If someone is tailgating I'll take avasive action and either speed up and change lanes or make the car dance which often makes the person tailgating think I'm drunk and they back off.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile
You're being paranoid.
No, I rarely, if ever talk on the phone while driving. This is also a pet peeve of mine. Although, I am growing fond of the bluetooth built into the car used with voice commands. If you have to use the phone while driving, this is the only way to do it, in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW
left lane squatters
It's the same here. Actually, I think more people drive in the left lane than in the right here.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
It's you.

I encounted a few aggressive morons on the road yesterday, when I was driving my wife's Forester.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
My experience (northeast US) is that Audi drivers are the most likely to engage in this behavior--and to a slightly lesser extent, VWs (especially GTIs).

It used to bother me, but not any more. Having them in front of me acts like a radar shield, and occasionally poetic justice is meeted out by a trooper up ahead with Lidar.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: TiAg 330i 2006/E90 via ed
I think we just encounter the occasional idiot as frequently as everyone else. We just have the pleasure of driving a car better than most.

Actually, the following happened to me today and helps me justify the power sunshades I got. I was in the middle lane of a six lane highway(3 lanes each direction) heading to the suburbs to visits friends. I was driving around 70mph and was conversing with my wife. A Black GMC Envoy pulls up right behind me and starts hanging on my tail. The idiot then begins to flash his lights. The passing lane is open for this Arsehole to pass but he expected me to move over for his big arse. I pressed the sunshade button to bring down the sunshade so he can get a good look at my finger. I pressed the button again to raise the sunshade. Then, I threw the car into sport mode and accelerated to about 110mph where he became a spec in my rearview mirror. After a few minutes, I resume my conversation with my wife and never seen the arsehole again. The experience really made me like the sunshade option a little more.

Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, 535i
Not in LA, a BMW is sort of on the level of a Toyota or Honda; it is like a standard car to people. Though it gets looks; a bimmer is like a standard car. LA is bimmer / luxury car saturated - period. Though I don't see AS many people with a 5er, it seems like the 3er is the LA civic lol Though people do tend to act a little more agressivly.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:39 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60lover
Not in LA, a BMW is sort of on the level of a Toyota or Honda; it is like a standard car to people. Though it gets looks; a bimmer is like a standard car. LA is bimmer / luxury car saturated - period. Though I don't see AS many people with a 5er, it seems like the 3er is the LA civic lol Though people do tend to act a little more agressivly.
the 3er in the US is relatively cheap compared to 3er's in every other country in the world.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 PM

I now know why people with nice cars drive like a'holes... because we have to.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: Loaded 06 330i
I have felt that more and more Nissan 350Z, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS350, and some trucks and SUVs have started been showing such driving behaviours around me and my friends.

But, I think it is just some of those little-man-syndrome dumba**es in those cars that want to prove themselves by being roudy. Most of the normal drivers of those cars are actually courteous (whatever that amountsa to in LA).

Just ignore them, though. Once I got pissed and decided to floor it off the stoplight in the fast lane of a three lane street, and the other guy was in the slow lane. a few seconds after take-off the guy who was in between the two of us in the middle lane turned his undercover cop lights on! so watch out!

Past: Fully Loaded 2003 E46 325i & 2004 E60 525i
Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: '04 Honda Element
I notice it

I hate to say it, but some BMW drivers where I live don't know how to drive. It's kind of a, "I'll buy a performance car to overcome my bad driving."

People are freaks--stay away from them . . . best to not even acknowledge them.

Ciao

Last edited by KevinR_51; 07-07-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Been three weeks since I've had my Z4. I had an A6 4.2 try to race me, been cut off numerous times, have had to wait forever to merge into traffic nobody lets me go.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: LexusES330/335Coupe6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60lover
I second this but for the Bay Area.