Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3/X3
First, I'm still looking to understand the cause of the water leaks others have experienced... (Update - it was the moonroof drain holes)

I do have some info for anyone wanting to know how to unplug the connector:

1. Locate the black connector with white lever on the unit. See photos in post above.
2. There is a small black button that locks the white lever in place. press it down
3. Slide the white lever from left to right which will unplug the big black connector!

Last edited by x3man; 07-01-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Question

Frustrating! I bought my 2006 CPO X3 3.0i in the beginning of April, and bluetooth worked fine, pairing with my Blackberry 8900 with ease. As I posted back on June 17th, I ran into the "bluetooth died" issue, discovered this thread, unplugged/replugged the battery, and all was good again -- until this morning. Dead again, and it's only been 2 weeks. I'll try the battery disconnect again in the morning, but this is silly -- only 2 weeks since the last fix! Assuming the fix works again in the morning, I sure hope I won't be dealing with this on a regular 2 week interval.

Next I'll have to see if my CPO warranty will cover replacement of the bluetooth module (I have BMW Assist also). Want to be sure I don't say anything wrong when I bring it in, and have them tell me, "Oh! You used a non-approved phone and THAT is what destroyed the BT module! Now YOU have to pay." --- so, I guess the first thing to do would be to tell them I only use it with one of the approved phones (and I'll hide my 8900, although there's NO way this is causing the periodic BT failure). Then the question would be: do I let them know that I know about, and have used, the battery unplugging trick? Or would they decide that this voided warranty coverage of that part?

Frustrating -- I just want this to work!

- Jon
Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3
My unit has died on me twice. Not so much died as phone calls were impossible to understand and constant disconnects. My dealership replaced the module twice under warranty. No questions asked. After the repair, one of the service guys re-linked my phone to make sure it was working properly. Each time with a different phone but both were blue tooth capable. Your phone has nothing to do with the Telephone Module breaking down. This has been a problem for a while I was told. If it goes down again I think I'll demand a new car and scream "Lemon Law"!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefron View Post
My unit has died on me twice. Not so much died as phone calls were impossible to understand and constant disconnects. My dealership replaced the module twice under warranty. No questions asked. After the repair, one of the service guys re-linked my phone to make sure it was working properly. Each time with a different phone but both were blue tooth capable. Your phone has nothing to do with the Telephone Module breaking down. This has been a problem for a while I was told. If it goes down again I think I'll demand a new car and scream "Lemon Law"!
Good to hear. I have no problem re: "approved phone", as I can simply use one of the approved phones (I have all my old cell phones, and I'm pretty sure at least a couple are on the list). I've read, though, that when the BT stops working and you bring it in for service, they'll simply start with the unplug/replug fix and give it back to you. I have a feeling I'll have to waste the time having them do this a couple of times over several weeks/months before they acknowledge the unit is dead - and I hate to waste the time. That's why I was wondering if it's safe for me to say that *I* already tried the unplug routine (probably not, if I want to keep it under warranty - I suspect I'm not officially supposed to touch this...?).
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 PM

I didn't know about the "unplug/plug" fix until I read this thread. I figure if it breaks, I've got the warranty! Plus I like getting a nice loaner in the meantime. My last was the 335xi. Or should I say, my next car!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM

The unplug/plug fix worked just fine once again this morning, and the car and my Blackberry converse happily once again. But, as I mentioned yesterday, it's been only a couple of weeks since the last time I had to do this. Hopefully this won't become a semi-monthly routine. If so, it's definitely back to BMW for a warranty service call...
Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3
wanted to contribute to this thread, since you guys helped me -
I foolishly updated to the latest "And greatest " version of TMobile. I have 8100 BB pearl.
That killed pairing with x3.

The fix:
get the OS version for AT&T which is 4.5. smth. (latest at the ime of writing) and ( after backup of your unit ) put it on the unit. now it's working almost correctly.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Bluetooth died

The same thing happened to me. After 7 months, the telephone function just disappeared from the computer menu.

Is there a way to reset, before I trudge down to the dealer?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helloswindon View Post
The same thing happened to me. After 7 months, the telephone function just disappeared from the computer menu.

Is there a way to reset, before I trudge down to the dealer?
in the back of the trunk, left side, the module can be unplugged for 5 minutes and then plugged back in. that will sometimes reset it.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550 m-sport, 2006 X3
For everyone using the unplug/re-plug method to reset their BT, remember that there is a SIB for faulty BT hardware (mentioned earlier in this thread) for cars with specific build dates up to April 06. The "diagnosis" for the dealership to determine whether your hardware is faulty (and thus replaceable under warranty) is to basically unplug/replug the module -- if this "fixes" the fault then the module is faulty and they will replace under warranty. If you reset the module before bringing it into the dealer, then there will be no way for them to establish the module is affected and offer you the replacement.

If you still have warranty, I'd recomment you not do the DIY fix and get the unit replaced while it's still covered.

I had this issue a couple of years ago, and finally had the module replaced (my dealer wasn't aware of the SIB until I brought it in -- Canada doesn't share the same SIB database, apparently). Before the replacement, the module would fail every 3-6 mos -- the new module has been flawless since.

Pierre
2008 550i m-sport
2006 X3 2.5
Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
The bigger issue here is if you aren't using an 'approved phone' the dealer will claim that the phone broke the BT module and therefore WON'T cover it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimoX3 View Post
For everyone using the unplug/re-plug method to reset their BT, remember that there is a SIB for faulty BT hardware (mentioned earlier in this thread) for cars with specific build dates up to April 06. The "diagnosis" for the dealership to determine whether your hardware is faulty (and thus replaceable under warranty) is to basically unplug/replug the module -- if this "fixes" the fault then the module is faulty and they will replace under warranty. If you reset the module before bringing it into the dealer, then there will be no way for them to establish the module is affected and offer you the replacement.

If you still have warranty, I'd recomment you not do the DIY fix and get the unit replaced while it's still covered.

I had this issue a couple of years ago, and finally had the module replaced (my dealer wasn't aware of the SIB until I brought it in -- Canada doesn't share the same SIB database, apparently). Before the replacement, the module would fail every 3-6 mos -- the new module has been flawless since.

Pierre
2008 550i m-sport
2006 X3 2.5

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 AM

This whole issue is a bit absurd. The idea that an "unapproved" phone, connecting by BT to the car's BT unit and somehow destroying it is unheard of in virtually all other bluetooth applications. Additionally, it seems that certain devices that have the identical bluetooth support (i.e., hardware/chipset, firmware, phone OS) may be one or off the "approved" list almost arbitrarily: for example, a Blackberry Bold may be "approved" while an 8900 is "not approved, despite having the same bluetooth hardware, and identical OS code driving the bluetooth connection to the car.

I've used bluetooth keyboards, mice, speakerphones, PC-to-PC "bluetooth LANs", etc for several years, experimenting with different BT stacks, drivers, app software, etc. In every case, even with the buggiest implementations (which have typically been release 1.x versions of Logitech software for their bluetooth devices), the worst case scenario requires either a reboot or loading a new firmware version. That's it. Considering that the bluetooth modules for BMW seem to be provided by Motorola (at least the ones I've seen), I find it difficult to imagine that they would come up with a device that can be destroyed by pairing with the wrong phone. There's something totally ludicrous about that.

I've "fixed" the bluetooth connection in my 2006 X3 about 4 times now in the last year by detaching the cable plug from the unit for about 10 seconds and reconnecting it, as discussed in the thread. I don't even have to re-pair the phone with the car. My Blackberry 8900 connects right up with the car after that. I'd love to have an updated module, so I guess I'd have to follow the advice above: wait for the connection to fail again -- and this time, instead of resetting the device myself, bring it into the dealership and tell them that the Blackberry I used was actually one of the approved ones (e.g., a Bold)... Let them reset and "fix" it, and then have them replace the unit. Feels like such a waste of time and energy to have to play games like this with what is supposed to be such a reputable company.

One other odd symptom I'm seeing occurs when I select either the #5 or #6 radio preset while listening to FM radio. What should be the RDS display shows the name "KELLY" for about 30 seconds, and then eventually reverts to a proper RDS display -- always "KELLY", and this only happens on presets #5 and #6 -- and "KELLY" has nothing to do with the station that either button is tuned to. Anyone ever see this weirdness before?

Ah well. Just one more reason I guess for me to convince BMW service to replace my bluetooth unit while the car is still covered on the CPO warranty.

- Jon
Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
Just go to the back of your back and unplug the Bluetooth module for about ten seconds (just pull the plug out and reinsert after 10 seconds). That did it form me without any trip to the service department.
Jimmy,

when you say go to the back of the back - what do you mean? I have a 2006 X3 - where do I go to unplug the blue tooth module?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstrong View Post
This whole issue is a bit absurd. The idea that an "unapproved" phone, connecting by BT to the car's BT unit and somehow destroying it is unheard of in virtually all other bluetooth applications. Additionally, it seems that certain devices that have the identical bluetooth support (i.e., hardware/chipset, firmware, phone OS) may be one or off the "approved" list almost arbitrarily: for example, a Blackberry Bold may be "approved" while an 8900 is "not approved, despite having the same bluetooth hardware, and identical OS code driving the bluetooth connection to the car.

I've used bluetooth keyboards, mice, speakerphones, PC-to-PC "bluetooth LANs", etc for several years, experimenting with different BT stacks, drivers, app software, etc. In every case, even with the buggiest implementations (which have typically been release 1.x versions of Logitech software for their bluetooth devices), the worst case scenario requires either a reboot or loading a new firmware version. That's it. Considering that the bluetooth modules for BMW seem to be provided by Motorola (at least the ones I've seen), I find it difficult to imagine that they would come up with a device that can be destroyed by pairing with the wrong phone. There's something totally ludicrous about that.

I've "fixed" the bluetooth connection in my 2006 X3 about 4 times now in the last year by detaching the cable plug from the unit for about 10 seconds and reconnecting it, as discussed in the thread. I don't even have to re-pair the phone with the car. My Blackberry 8900 connects right up with the car after that. I'd love to have an updated module, so I guess I'd have to follow the advice above: wait for the connection to fail again -- and this time, instead of resetting the device myself, bring it into the dealership and tell them that the Blackberry I used was actually one of the approved ones (e.g., a Bold)... Let them reset and "fix" it, and then have them replace the unit. Feels like such a waste of time and energy to have to play games like this with what is supposed to be such a reputable company.

One other odd symptom I'm seeing occurs when I select either the #5 or #6 radio preset while listening to FM radio. What should be the RDS display shows the name "KELLY" for about 30 seconds, and then eventually reverts to a proper RDS display -- always "KELLY", and this only happens on presets #5 and #6 -- and "KELLY" has nothing to do with the station that either button is tuned to. Anyone ever see this weirdness before?

Ah well. Just one more reason I guess for me to convince BMW service to replace my bluetooth unit while the car is still covered on the CPO warranty.

- Jon
Jon,

I agree! My iPhone stopped working with my 2006 X3 after over a year and now they tell me it's not a compatible phone???? Don't get me started....Can you tell me exactly how you detached the cable plug from the unit (where is the cable plug??)
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Open your hatch, right next to hatch door on driver's side there is a panel which you can open by pressing the button under rear most window. The bluetooth module and cable lies inside.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Service bulletin number, source or document?

Several have referenced the SB or SIB - could someone please post the number, or location, or actual document? Thanks!

Mine died yesterday, called the dealer, and got the "unsupported phone" routine. He cited my car's build date - April '06. If you go to the docs at wireless4bmw.com, there is only one phone supported for my car!

I unplugged, then replugged the unit, as explained here, and it now works again.

Thanks,

jv
Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Where is the latch to get into the rear compartment so i can reset my bluetooth?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltyd98 View Post
Where is the latch to get into the rear compartment so i can reset my bluetooth?
Look at the plastics below the rear LH side quarterlight - you will see a rectangular 'button' - press it and the cover will pop open from the top. The bottom fits into a slot next to the toolkit flap in the floor.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550 m-sport, 2006 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
Several have referenced the SB or SIB - could someone please post the number, or location, or actual document? Thanks!

Mine died yesterday, called the dealer, and got the "unsupported phone" routine. He cited my car's build date - April '06. If you go to the docs at wireless4bmw.com, there is only one phone supported for my car!

I unplugged, then replugged the unit, as explained here, and it now works again.

Thanks,

jv
Here you go...
SI B84 21 06
Communication Systems January 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
No Communication with the TCU

MODEL
E46 (3 Series) from 9/04 to 6/06 production with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA 639 (BMW Assist™)
E53 (X5) from 10/04 to 6/06 production with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA 639 (BMW Assist™)
E83 (X3) from 9/04 to 6/06 production with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA 639 (BMW Assist™)
E85 (Z4) from 10/04 to 6/06 production with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA 639 (BMW Assist™)

SITUATION
When a short test is performed using the DIS / GT1, the Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is not found.

The customer may complain of the following:
  • BMW Assist™ is inoperative.
  • On vehicles equipped with a Board Monitor (BM), "Telephone" is no longer displayed as an option.
  • When the R/T button or phone button on the steering wheel is pressed, the display in the radio or Multi Information Display (MID) does not change.
  • When the ignition is cycled on, the green Light Emitting Diode (LED) in the SOS switch does not illuminate.
  • On all E53 vehicles or E46 vehicles equipped with a Navigation system (SA609); the red, yellow and green LEDs on the MID/BM do not illuminate.
Note: Any TCU programmed with Progman V24.01.00 or higher has software loaded into the module to stop the problem from occurring.

CAUSE
Software error in the TCU.

PROCEDURE - DIAGNOSIS
In case of a customer complaint, perform the following procedure.

1. Perform a short test on the vehicle using the DISplus or GT-1.
  • If the TCU is found during the short test continue normal diagnosis.
  • If the TCU is NOT found when the short test is performed, continue with step 2.
2. Allow the vehicle to assume sleep mode.
3. Remove the 54 pin connector at the TCU for 2 minutes, then reconnect.
4. Perform an individual short test on the TCU using the DIS or GT1.
5. Is the DIS/GT1 now communicating with the TCU?
  • No, continue normal diagnosis.
  • Yes, a TCU software update is available to correct the problem.
6. Check the vehicle history report on DSCnet to see if the vehicle is covered by service action # 00 84 31 01 00. If this service action has not been performed, it should be performed to resolve the customer's concern.
Looks like this has been updated since I dealt with the issue, as in my case the recommendation was to replace the TCU. Now it looks like it's just a programming issue.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3, 2007 750il
Problem Solved (for now)

Thanks to all for these postings. Disconnected and reconnected the box in my wife's X3 (as x3eme displayed) and the BT came back to life (BB & iPhone). Kales
Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
my bluetooth went out and decided to stay on while the car was off which drained my battery and BMW had to tow it
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 02 Honda Civic 06 BMW X3
Ditto on the TCU not going into sleep mode and draining my battery and needing a tow. So, I have read all the above threads and many phones were mentioned. Has anyone had a BMW-approved phone paired and still had the TCU "no communication" issue occur? If so, did SIB 84 21 06 fix it? Or did you get your TCU replaced?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2006
Unplugged, worked like a charm

I unplugged the Bluetooth module just like in X3eme's post, waited 30 seconds, then plugged it back in, worked like a charm. Both phones found the bluetooth right away, and connected after entering the passkey.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 02 Honda Civic 06 BMW X3
Hey fatbobk2162, so are your 2 phones on the approved BMW phone list?

I'm aware of the reset trick but the next time I lose the bluetooth I want to get it to the dealer to see if they will apply the above SIB.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3 3.0i
X3 bt sb?

Anyone have a link or PDF on the X3 BT service bulletin? I want to "share" with my dealer too!

Thanks all!

UPDATE: Sorry! Didn't check the entire thread! Thanks Pimo!

Last edited by pistol_pete; 04-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.