Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Sound like a Diversity Antenna?

My FM and AM radio started cutting out and completely went out. After doing a lot of forum searching, I was told that it was a diversity antenna problem. I didn't have any problems with the remote control to unlock the doors. The signal was still very strong.

I decided before buying a new diversity antenna, I would try some deox and clean the existing diversity antenna. Everything worked perfectly. I wasn't able to get my FM signal back however there are some instances that it's a little bit static but the FM signal came back nonetheless. But now, my remote to unlock the door, the signal is pretty much gone. I have to stand right next to the car in order for the unlock button to work.

Does it sound like I need a new diversity antenna? And do I only need the antenna part that is next to the third light in the back?
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Yes, you need to replace the diversity amplifier (it is located under the head liner between C-pillar and brake light).
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi Sport Wagon
I am at dealer and have radio cutting out on my 2006 530xi Sport Wagon. My independent doesn't do radio work. They want up to $495 to fix a wiring issue - yikes. Biting the bullet now and having it done as we plan to keep it a while. Maybe I should have gone to a stereo dealer?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 530i

I bought a new diversity antenna and installed it myself. Very simple to do. Radio still works perfect but still not getting any distance range from my key fob. I have to be right next to the car to make it unlock.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E61 535i xdrive

Just got my E61 back after above issue. They found corrosion and water intrusion at the antenna site. Dealer replaced module and sealed with windshield sealant.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
HI,

My radio and key fob completely went out. I purchased a diversity antenna but cannot find anywhere online how to actually replace it. Would you mind letting me know how to do this?I thought to ask you since you said it was simple.

Thank you!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Google "bmw diversity antenna diy"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645962

For example.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi Wagon
I have a 2006 530xi sport wagon ... the key fob works great, even at far distances. But my FM reception is dismal compared to any cheap-o car with a normal antenna. Might there be a problem with my antenna that would warrant my opening up and cleaning the contacts? Or does it sound normal that this expensive car just has a poorly designed FM antenna?

All the posts I could find seemed to indicate the symptoms of the antenna problem are the key fob not working and mine works fine from a long distance away - so I'm thinking I don't have anything wrong. But I'm disappointed at how poor the FM reception is compared to other cars with the old fashioned antenna.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM
2008 535XIT

Mein Auto: 2008 E61 535xi Wagon

My FM and AM radio started cutting out and completely went out. After doing a lot of forum searching, I was told that it was a diversity antenna problem. I didn't have any problems with the remote control to unlock the doors. The signal was still very strong.

I decided before buying a new diversity antenna, I would try some deox and clean the existing diversity antenna. Everything worked perfectly. I wasn't able to get my FM signal back however there are some instances that it's a little bit static but the FM signal came back nonetheless. But now, my remote to unlock the door, the signal is pretty much gone. I have to stand right next to the car in order for the unlock button to work.

Does it sound like I need a new diversity antenna? And do I only need the antenna part that is next to the third light in the back?

Mine is the opposite of your situation. My radio works, however I am very disappointed of the reception quality that I get compared to my other cars (non BMW). My comfort access and lock and unlock functions have completely given out on me. Last night I got in to the diversity antenna and nothing was corroded - it looked completely clean - thats not saying that its working fine - but in any case... Today I decided to give the entire car a reset and disconnect the battery for an hour - same as before. Ive tried countless times to re-initialize the key to the car, but no luck. I'm trying to think and find out everything that I can do before I have to resort to emptying out my pockets and selling out to the dealer... PLEASE... any thoughts?? Pretty PLEASE. Thank you in advance - distressed first time bmw owner...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiungjae View Post
Mine is the opposite of your situation. My radio works, however I am very disappointed of the reception quality that I get compared to my other cars (non BMW). My comfort access and lock and unlock functions have completely given out on me. Last night I got in to the diversity antenna and nothing was corroded - it looked completely clean - thats not saying that its working fine - but in any case... Today I decided to give the entire car a reset and disconnect the battery for an hour - same as before. Ive tried countless times to re-initialize the key to the car, but no luck. I'm trying to think and find out everything that I can do before I have to resort to emptying out my pockets and selling out to the dealer... PLEASE... any thoughts?? Pretty PLEASE. Thank you in advance - distressed first time bmw owner...
Classic symptom of failing diversity amplifier. I am 100% sure.
Replacement of diversity amplifier solved the problem on my car. I ordered the amplifier on BMWmercedesparts dot com and I replaced it. It's not that difficult...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM
2008 535XIT

Mein Auto: 2008 E61 535xi Wagon
Thanks!

Classic symptom of failing diversity amplifier. I am 100% sure.
Replacement of diversity amplifier solved the problem on my car. I ordered the amplifier on BMWmercedesparts dot com and I replaced it. It's not that difficult...

Thank you Pcy! I was on the fence of taking it in to the stealer, but I will go ahead with this first - because this is going to be a cheaper alternative anyways. Question though - when i went to the website you have recommended above, there are 4 different items that are under "diversity Antenna" Are you suggesting that its JUST the amplifier that I need to replace, or all 4 parts?? Sorry - I am an newbie and just so torn - I was so thrilled to get my first BMW and was so thrilled, but this is throwing me in the dump. Thank you in advance!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Amplifier can be either 315MHz or 868MHz depending on which one your car has.

When you see multiple rows for the same part [on RealOem or other site], that means that part has been revised. So, you need to look at the last row for that part.
First you need to confirm if your car has 315MHz or 868MHz. One way to find out is to pull out the part that is on the car. MHz number is printed on the part.

Last edited by pcy; 12-19-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiungjae View Post
[I][SIZE="1"]
Hello Guys,
Unfortunately, I ended up in the same boat as you .. especially kiungjae... since my FM reception is fine (not that I care about it as much), but FOB only works when I am next to rear window (close to Diversity Amp off course). All my research pointed me to this issue, however; the amp at dealer ship is about 375 USD... would like to confirm before I bite that bullet. I read so many threads, and kind of summarize all the information. It would be helpful (for me and the next victim) if anyone can answer questions below.
1. Is there a way to confirm it is diversity amp before I buy another one.
2. Anyone tried fixing this issue successfully, instead of getting a new one?
3. I took out the panels to see the amp (wanted to make sure the mhz, snapshot attached)... It only has FDB 315 written on top... assuming it means its 315 MHZ (I dont have easy access).
4. I see the following three options for the amplifire. Dealership recommended me the 2nd one, however; I guess its in my best interest to find the latest one...
a. Factory install diversity amplifier: 65 20 6 931 719 (that I have now)
b. Revision 1 diversity amplifier part no: 65 20 6 988 057 (Dealership selling me for about 375)
c. Revision 2 diversity amplifier part no: 69 20 9 193 836 (I think I should get).

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-21 18.53.42.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	441177  
Old 07-12-2014, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
I have finally found the time to do some puttering work on my car. The symptoms are FM radio reception is crap and/ or the key fob remote doesn't work. Yup, it's the diversity antenna module which on an '06 E61 also contains the remote entry receiver. Took off the spoiler and found almost 1/2" of crud underneath along with lots of dried road salt around the module. I took things apart and found rusted screws and corroded copper traces. It's really ugly but I am going to try some repairs. I will probably have to purchase a new one as there are traces that are totally gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140712-00395.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	451440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140713-00404.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	451441  

Last edited by dharmabmw; 07-12-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Benz S211 Convert

Mein Auto: 535 Xi Wagon, MB CLK430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
I have finally found the time to do some puttering work on my car. The symptoms are FM radio reception is crap and/ or the key fob remote doesn't work. Yup, it's the diversity antenna module which on an '06 E61 also contains the remote entry receiver. Took off the spoiler and found almost 1/2" of crud underneath along with lots of dried road salt around the module. I took things apart and found rusted screws and corroded copper traces. It's really ugly but I am going to try some repairs. I will probably have to purchase a new one as there are traces that are totally gone.
Did you have any success with a repair? My car seems to be giving me the rundown of all known electronics issues. I have the replacement for the failing Nav DVD drive already in hands, and now the diversity module is going out.

Plenty of grime around the encasement of the module in my E61, but no evidence of moisture inside. Thanks to location, no road salt damage. Still have to remove the module and look inside. Anything you might have been able to learn from your repair attempt would be very useful.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM

while removing/installation, don't bend those pins/contact points on the diversity amplifier.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Benz S211 Convert

I have meanwhile found light at the end of the tunnel from across the big pond: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/58717-...g/#entry724355. Posts #14 and #15 sound very promising. I'll give that a try.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Benz S211 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee4711 View Post
I'll give that a try.
And try I did. Unfortunately, to no avail.

Since torrential rainfalls and road salt are infrequent issues here in NorCal, it was not too surprising that there was no trace of moisture nor corrosion anywhere on the circuit board. I still removed the small amount of dust from the underside of the board, scrubbed it with a dry tooth brush and liberally treated it with contact cleaner spray. Rinse, repeat. No effect.

This may suggest that one of the components on the board tends to go bad, and exposure to the elements merely accelerates this. Does anybody have the slightest clue which component it might be?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:34 AM

I have to say that I was not successful in reviving either the diversity module nor the remote entry portion of the circuit. The diversity module had suffered far too much damage from corrosion due to salt and water incursion. Traces were completely destroyed as were a number of other parts: capacitors and /or resistors, (its hard to tell) and at least one IC. Due to the fact it's all surface mount and some of the parallel traces and vias are totally gone, that portion of the circuit board is FUBAR. At the other end where the power entry was, the traces were a combination of rusted and salt corroded. That was repaired but I suspect the damage had been done to the remote entry IC's so it's also FUBAR. Replacement appears to be the only option in my case, but if I do purchase a new one I will be covering it with a conformal coating to protect it from the elements.

The other issue will be getting the coding right for the modules so they will work. I tried a low cost interface from a stateside supplier but so far no good.

Also working on a battery maintainer using a 1000 watt switch mode IBM computer supply (12V 85 amps). that will be in another post.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Benz S211 Convert

Different situation here, but the effect is the same. I tried it the hard way yesterday: Showed the solder iron to the module. Did not help. Plugged the solder iron in. That is normally as far as I have to go. Did not help this time. So I touched up all solder joints associated with connectors, and everything else that was big enough for my clumsy hands, all the time making sure I looked like I had the slightest clue of what I was doing.

The good news is that it is not worse than before. Bad news, it did not help either. Radio reception is OK, but the remote needs to be pretty close to the spoiler, and comfort access does not work most the time.

I am kind of reluctant to drop 240 - 300 bucks while not even being sure the module is actually the culprit, as there is no corrosion or visible damage. Most boards in my computer look a lot less pristine than this one. The antenna in the spoiler is visually OK, too. Anybody had the antenna damaged?

Does the module need programming? I was under the impression it is a drop-in replacement. As I understand, the diversity module only relays the information, but is not responsible for the actual process of locking / unlocking the car. Is that correct, or does it need to be programmed, in addition?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:03 PM

I went thru the same song and dance...
The radio reception was good; however, remote didn't work unless it's next to rear window. I checked the diversity amplifier, looked perfectly ok. Checked all the soldering joints with a magnifying glass, didn't see anything obvious. I bought a new diversity amplifier from BMWmercedesparts dot com and installed it. Remote started working from a football field length (may be longer, but I didn't test further).
Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM

My radio reception is absolute crap. It only works well when I am in the 1000uv/m RF contour of the broadcast station, and is horrible in urban areas prone to multipath issues. As I understand the diversity system, there are 4 antennas in the back glass of the car. Those are connected to the module through the red and black connectors. The feed to the radio is via the miniature co-ax on the left end of the module so maybe the co-axial cable is damaged since it is the main antenna wire to the radio and goes through the lift gate hinge. Not sure about the antenna connections for the CAS but I think the antenna is in the RR side window.

As an aside, you can rinse the circuit board under soapy water with out damaging it. You have to make sure it's totally dry before you power it up, though. The best way to dry it off is to put it on a warm air vent for 24 hours or so. I have also used my windshield defroster to dry off my cell phone, that I sent through the washing machine by accident. It was fine.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Benz S211 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
As an aside, you can rinse the circuit board under soapy water with out damaging it. You have to make sure it's totally dry before you power it up, though. The best way to dry it off is to put it on a warm air vent for 24 hours or so. I have also used my windshield defroster to dry off my cell phone, that I sent through the washing machine by accident. It was fine.
Considering that the board is not filthy, I think I'm gonna skip this step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
I went thru the same song and dance...
The radio reception was good; however, remote didn't work unless it's next to rear window. I checked the diversity amplifier, looked perfectly ok. Checked all the soldering joints with a magnifying glass, didn't see anything obvious. I bought a new diversity amplifier from BMWmercedesparts dot com and installed it. Remote started working from a football field length (may be longer, but I didn't test further).
That sounds exactly like what I am seeing. So this is the confirmation I have been waiting for. I think I should be pulling the trigger then. Thanks also for pointing me to the cheapest source: $225 is the best price I have found anywhere. I assume they carry the OEM part, right?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee4711
That sounds exactly like what I am seeing. So this is the confirmation I have been waiting for. I think I should be pulling the trigger then. Thanks also for pointing me to the cheapest source: $225 is the best price I have found anywhere. I assume they carry the OEM part, right?
BMWmercedesparts dot com is actually the parts department of an actual BMW dealer. They only sell genuine parts. If the part is not in stock, they will order the part and ship the part to you.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Benz S211 Convert

Thanks for the info. Order placed.