Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
So Pause automatically shuts the Ipod down? And althoug hit was a very thorough and insightful post, I'm not sure if I want to install the aux jack etc if I do turn the car in after only a few months.
When playing connected to a power supply and the power is turned off, the iPod automatically pauses and shuts down shortly thereafter.

Since you have an '07 you already have the aux input on the rear side of the center console, right next to 2 power outlets, so you can connect your iPod with the iCarCharger there (although not the most elegant solution) if you don't want to take the time to run some wires.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 PM
www.125thfloor.com

Send a message via AIM to Swift Send a message via MSN to Swift Send a message via Yahoo to Swift
Mein Auto: '07 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
When playing connected to a power supply and the power is turned off, the iPod automatically pauses and shuts down shortly thereafter.

Since you have an '07 you already have the aux input on the rear side of the center console, right next to 2 power outlets, so you can connect your iPod with the iCarCharger there (although not the most elegant solution) if you don't want to take the time to run some wires.
Alright thanks. I experimented today and the Ipod does in fact shut down once paused. This even without being plugged into to a power source. I was also thinking about using the icarcharger but already have my treo charger plugged in there and it's starting to get busy back there.

The fact that it automatically shuts down is good enough for me. Much appreciated!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Audible Audiobooks Playback

Hi

Does anyone know if the retrofit ipod interface support Audible content on your ipod, and if so how do you access it ? Or should I just go the Aux in route?

Thanks

James
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
iPod Connection to 2007 335i - Song Name Display problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherisme View Post
Hello All.

I just purchased a new 2008 535i. I got the usb connection in the center console. When i went to plug in my ipod I had a few problems. If i play a song the song name is a random series of characters. Also when browsing by artist it does not show all my songs that i have. For example if i go into a particular artist, it only shows me 4 songs and I know i have more.

Any tips?

Thanks guys
Hello all - Having the same problem here on a new 2007 335i with the iPod connection. Song Titles appear as the following examples:

bkil
bqpm
cfnp
ciaw
ctdp
dyyg

and so on...

Anyone know of a fix for this? The songs play, but no idea what they are by the directory listing. Folders and artists names are the same way... Is it firmware on the iPod? Or a software bug that my BMW dealer needs to update?

HELP!

Thanks,
James
Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
Here's a thought: see if the problem persists when you connect a friend's, hopefully newer, iPod. I had this done at the dealer when my iPod had probs aftre I took delivery of my 650, and sure enough, it worked with the tech's Nano, so I went home and updated my firmware. Problem solved.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Hi

I am having the same problem with a 520D USB interface. I have 2 ipods, one 80GB and one 30GB, one enabled for disk access and one not and they both have the same problem. The format that you are seeing is actually the file structure on the IPOD (if you set the IPOD to disk use you can see this). The BMW is failing to intepret wherever the index is stored to make sense of the random file structure, this is a bit of a blow as the USB input is useless without it doing this correctly.

If anyone has theirs working maybe we could work out what the differences are?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to ChrisDressler Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisDressler
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrks1 View Post
Hello all - Having the same problem here on a new 2007 335i with the iPod connection. Song Titles appear as the following examples:

bkil
bqpm
cfnp
ciaw
ctdp
dyyg

and so on...

Anyone know of a fix for this? The songs play, but no idea what they are by the directory listing. Folders and artists names are the same way... Is it firmware on the iPod? Or a software bug that my BMW dealer needs to update?

HELP!

Thanks,
James
If you have the 6FL iPod option (factory), you have to use the special BMW combo aux/USB cable, you can't just plug in your iPod using your own iPod cable. If you use the BMW supplied cable (you should have received this from your dealer), the iDrive display should work just fine.
2007 X5 3.0si - Monaco Blue Metallic, Black Nevada Leather | Premium/Sport/Cold/Technology Pkg | Rear Heated Seats/3rd Row Seats | Comfort Access | Park Distance/Backup Camera | Xenon | Nav | iPod Adapter | Rear Seat Entertainment
Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Factory Cable

Many thanks for that ChrisDressler, I came to that independent conclusion myself yesterday after talking to the dealers and Customer Service in BMW.

Stupid thing is in UK this cable is not free of charge! You pay the 150 to have the USB port fitted in the car and then have to fork out a further 30 for a cable. They also do not make it clear that you need the cable at the point of ordering so you have to go back later and purchase it.

All in all not very clever really, but I am sure a few days of inconvinience will be worth it in the end.

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Anyone personally compare the AUX input and the IPOD connector for sound difference? I read all 15 pages of the thread and I read about the difference when listening to classical music, but that was it. Anyone else? Anyone compare the difference between using the iPOD dock connector (on the iPOD) vs the headphone jack (on the iPOD) when plugging the iPOD into the AUX connector?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i ,2001 X5 3.0
I have both the AUX and Ipod dock connector, the dock connector is much better. The only way to get the Aux connnector to sound almost as good, is to a)use an adaptor with 'line-out' capabilities from the ipod (i.e. the SIK imp or other cable) and use a high quality cable to connect to the AUX input.

Otherwise, the dock is the way to go if you are interested in high quality audio. Its much more convenient. I added the dock after making the mistake of installing the AUX first. I listen to classical jazz, R&B, and rock most of the time, and have the L7 stereo.

Being able to use the iDrive screen is much safer as well.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
i-pod integration for 2004 530i

Hi i'm new to this forum, I'm looking to add the ipod integration adapter for the i-drive and the dealership asked if my car was prewired for it. How can i find that out?
They told me they'd have to check and if it wasn't it would be expensive to install.
I don't want to get ripped off, any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Rick
Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmitruk View Post
Hi i'm new to this forum, I'm looking to add the ipod integration adapter for the i-drive and the dealership asked if my car was prewired for it. How can i find that out?
They told me they'd have to check and if it wasn't it would be expensive to install.
I don't want to get ripped off, any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Rick
The iPod interface replaces the CD changer, so what I believe the dealer was asking is whether your car was pre-wired for the CD changer. Do you have a CD changer? If so, you're OK. If not, you need to determine if your car has CD changer preparation (option SA 694). The dealer can run your VIN to determine if you do or not.

See install instructions below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iPod interface install.pdf (234.2 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by stream; 06-15-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
I don't have a changer, but i hope i had the prep.
thanks a lot. =)
Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
The iPod interface replaces the CD changer, so what I believe the dealer was asking is whether your car was pre-wired for the CD changer. Do you have a CD changer? If so, you're OK. If not, you need to determine if your car has CD changer preparation (option SA 694). The dealer can run your VIN to determine if you do or not.

See install instructions below.
This enables the ipod to dock/charge through the glovebox and be accessable through i-drive in E60s that have the changer or changer prep yes?

I was recently told that due to the fiber in my car that I could only get a hard-wired FM transmitter for ipod functionality.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM

Comments below in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkir View Post
This enables the ipod to dock/charge through the glovebox and be accessable through i-drive in E60s that have the changer or changer prep yes?
Yes

I was recently told that due to the fiber in my car that I could only get a hard-wired FM transmitter for ipod functionality.
As I suggested to the other member, I'd have the dealer run your VIN to see if you have CD changer prep.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks, I do have the changer already. Good to know that it'll integrate Thanks.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
What a MAJOR disappointment! So I went to Toronto BMW this morning to get the AUX input installed. The SA asked me to sign the authorization - $700! I said, no way. I was quoted $117 for the cable and 1.3 hrs at $119 per hour. That's $270 or so plus taxes. He said that's for the installation. And then it takes 3-4 hrs to program it. Obviously I left without the installation. Why would someone quote me 1.3 hrs without programming when programming is required? It's like telling people the car is $25,000 without saying that the engine and transmission are going to be another $50,000. Needless to say, I am never going to Toronto BMW again.

Now that I got that off my chest, I guess I will be bringing with me lots of CDs for my 8 hrs drive tomorrow to Philly. Or maybe I will give my FM transmitter another shot.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm getting the major run-around depending on who I talk to about this dealer ipod adapter. One person tells me that the 04s can't be done, another says that my production date is -just- within the cut-off, but there are still conditions where it 'might not work right'. And there is further confusion about software and the like, and what revision I need to be at to make sure it all works...

I'm not entirely sure how I clear this up other than calling shop after shop until I get the answer I'm looking for...

Does anyone know (with any authoirty) what the situation is on a production of 09/03, non-nav e60, for my options?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I'm getting the major run-around depending on who I talk to about this dealer ipod adapter. One person tells me that the 04s can't be done, another says that my production date is -just- within the cut-off, but there are still conditions where it 'might not work right'. And there is further confusion about software and the like, and what revision I need to be at to make sure it all works...

I'm not entirely sure how I clear this up other than calling shop after shop until I get the answer I'm looking for...

Does anyone know (with any authoirty) what the situation is on a production of 09/03, non-nav e60, for my options?
For the iPod interface to work, your car must have MP3 playback capability. When your car was built, MP3 playback wasn't available on E60 cars. To get MP3 playback, your Progman needs to be updated if you car doesn't have V22.00 or higher, and they need to "retrofit" MP3 playback capability--see SIB 653005 (attached).

According to all the BMW documents I've seen on this subject, if your E60 has nav (CCC in BMW speak) all production dates from start of production can get MP3 playback retrofitted. However, for non-nav cars (M-ASK in BMW speak), it is not possible.

Towards the top of SIB 653005 (attached) it says: E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation from SOP to 9/29/05 vehicle production (so your car doesn't meet the requirements since it doesn't have nav).

Near the bottom of the page of SIB 651805 (attached) it says: Retrofitting of a MP3 compatible M-ASK is not possible on E60 vehicles (so it's not possible on your car since it has M-ASK, or non-nav).

The first version of SIB 653005 said only CCC cars from 3/05 to 9/25/05 vehicle production could be retrofitted (now updated in SIB 653005 to be from SOP to 9/25/05), so it's possible that the info for non-nav cars may have changed as well, but just reading these docs it appears your car can't be retrofitted for MP3.

So it seems like the aux input is the way to go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MP3 retrofit SIB_653005.pdf (17.8 KB, 1049 views)
File Type: pdf MP3 SIB Jan 06.pdf (9.8 KB, 246 views)
Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 AM

Well. That's a rather costly mistake on my part it seems.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 AM

Pardon me while I grasp at straws...

Assuming that the vehicle has the capacity to get the 20.0 update (I believe it's currently on 19) which includes the software for interpreting the mp3 format, and granted that there may be a physical limitation with the cd-drive hardware (though I don't remember people needing to upgrade their cd-drives to play mp3). The adapter is just an object on the MOST bus, it's the software that interprets the format and plays it.. so.. in that scenario is there any imaginable restrictions that would cause that to not work being as the ipod wouldn't have any phyiscal limitation on sending the data to the software? Does the retrofit 'check' to see if the hardware is correct, or any number of codes exist before it'll set the mp3 compatability?

Expecting that it (mp3 playback) wouldn't work in the cd drive, of course.

I may appear to be going on and on, but this is a real "need" feature for me.

Last edited by Melkir; 06-23-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i ,2001 X5 3.0
My 03/04 production 545 does not have MP3 capability, and runs the iPod adaptor just fine through my iDrive.

There is no need to have MP3 playback capability.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Pardon me while I grasp at straws...

Assuming that the vehicle has the capacity to get the 20.0 update (I believe it's currently on 19) which includes the software for interpreting the mp3 format, and granted that there may be a physical limitation with the cd-drive hardware (though I don't remember people needing to upgrade their cd-drives to play mp3). The adapter is just an object on the MOST bus, it's the software that interprets the format and plays it.. so.. in that scenario is there any imaginable restrictions that would cause that to not work being as the ipod wouldn't have any phyiscal limitation on sending the data to the software? Does the retrofit 'check' to see if the hardware is correct, or any number of codes exist before it'll set the mp3 compatability?

Expecting that it (mp3 playback) wouldn't work in the cd drive, of course.

I may appear to be going on and on, but this is a real "need" feature for me.
Any E60 can get updated Progman versions (the latest is 25.xx). The issue with earlier non-nav MY E60 cars is that the M-ASK isn't capable or running the MP3 playback software, so you can't use the in-dash CD for MP3, nor can you use the iPod interface.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
My 03/04 production 545 does not have MP3 capability, and runs the iPod adaptor just fine through my iDrive.

There is no need to have MP3 playback capability.
That's the first time I've heard that. Have you tried playing an MP3 CD in the dash drive? It could be that the dealer enabled MP3 playback when they coded the car for the iPod interface.

This post confirms what I thought about MP3 playback & iPod interface:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...19#post2353319
Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 08 BMW535xi,06 350 4matc
Sounds like a lot of work I would take it to a professional car audio installer or you could always try a better altenative -buy a new 2008 and get it as an option.