Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
Stream, thanks for the quick answer. I checked #2 and it's looks a little more involved than I personally would want to attempt on my 2008 535xi. I was wondering if you and others had any knowledge of this product? http://www.boostaroo.com/caraudio.html.

I look forward to see what you and others think.
Thanks Again,
Teach
Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Stream, thanks for the quick answer. I checked #2 and it's looks a little more involved than I personally would want to attempt on my 2008 535xi. I was wondering if you and others had any knowledge of this product? http://www.boostaroo.com/caraudio.html.

I look forward to see what you and others think.
Thanks Again,
Teach
Since I performed the surgery on the wiring harness, I have no need for an additional amp, and I'm not familiar with that product.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
I checked #2 and it's looks a little more involved than I personally would want to attempt on my 2008 535xi.
I just did it a few weeks ago - it's honestly not as complex as it sounds. Essentially all you have to do is splice out the capacitor and resistor they placed in-line for the aux input, the majority of that post is a careful description of how to access the cable itself.

Even after I did that, I'll say that the Aux input level is lower by 25% than my CD and radio inputs - certainly viable but it would not have been had I not made the adjustment.

As for the boosteroo - knowing nothing at all about it, I would assert that even if it does exactly as it says it does, what you would have happening is an increase in signal level from the boosteroo immediately followed by a decrease in signal level from the Aux input. It seems as if there would be opportunity for some noise and/or distortion to enter the signal with all of that modification. The only way to know would be to try it.

Good luck if you go that route, and please do come back and post your experience with it here - it would be very instructive.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Good luck if you go that route, and please do come back and post your experience with it here - it would be very instructive.

Will do.

Thanks for your input. Stream's "surgery" may be straight forward, but us chickens just don't have the nerve to cut anything electronic on a brand new car.

Teach
Old 04-12-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Will do.

Thanks for your input. Stream's "surgery" may be straight forward, but us chickens just don't have the nerve to cut anything electronic on a brand new car.

Teach
Believe me, it's not that big a deal, and well worth the time. And your aux input is located on the rear panel of the center arm rest console (mine is in the glove box), which is even easier to access.

OK...perhaps surgery was a bad word...

Last edited by stream; 04-12-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Pmarszal
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 525i
Post Ipod

Hey guys!

I searched this post and its really confusing for me to follow all the threads!

First off, I just bought a 2004 BMW 525i two days ago and got rid of my 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Congrats to myself!!!!

I want to integrate an ipod into my system and have no clue what the best solution is. I do not have a cd changer in the back of the car and in fact I dont even have one in the glove compartment. I only have the cd player that is in the dashboard.

What is the cheapest and best solution. I hate the Radio Transmitters and they get really annoying when they get static. I want cd quality and dont mind having it in the trunk of the car if I can control it from inside the car. Please let me know the price of how much it would cost as well

The dealership told me the car is satellite radio ready if this makes any difference and was made in 03/04. I live in Orange County, CA and looking to get this done as soon as possible for as I dont want to burn cds with 12 tracks on them.

I have also read in the forums that some have the mp3 intergration already installed in the dash cd players. When I am burning these to test the mp3 cds do I put the music into seperate folders or do I put all songs in the main directory of the cd?

I know this is like 20 questions all at once but I dont want to flood the board with my postings, and if you know the answer. It is greatly appriciated.

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 525I
Hey i just recently purchased a 05' 525I i was wondering if i get the ipod connector would my iphone work as well even as a phone or jus a ipod and what is the cheapest and best solution to do so. I was looking at the earlier posts i liked the spec.dock i was thinking about getting that how could that whole kit cost

Thanx
Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmarszal View Post
Hey guys!

I searched this post and its really confusing for me to follow all the threads!

First off, I just bought a 2004 BMW 525i two days ago and got rid of my 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Congrats to myself!!!!

I want to integrate an ipod into my system and have no clue what the best solution is. I do not have a cd changer in the back of the car and in fact I dont even have one in the glove compartment. I only have the cd player that is in the dashboard.

What is the cheapest and best solution. I hate the Radio Transmitters and they get really annoying when they get static. I want cd quality and dont mind having it in the trunk of the car if I can control it from inside the car. Please let me know the price of how much it would cost as well

The dealership told me the car is satellite radio ready if this makes any difference and was made in 03/04. I live in Orange County, CA and looking to get this done as soon as possible for as I dont want to burn cds with 12 tracks on them.

I have also read in the forums that some have the mp3 intergration already installed in the dash cd players. When I am burning these to test the mp3 cds do I put the music into seperate folders or do I put all songs in the main directory of the cd?

I know this is like 20 questions all at once but I dont want to flood the board with my postings, and if you know the answer. It is greatly appriciated.

Thanks ahead of time!
Posting the same question in multiple threads won't win your friends.

I responded to your first--exact same--post here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277658

You should invest the time to read and/or search this thread--it's full of info--just like the owners manual is.

Asking what's the "best solution" to issues that have been discussed countless times before with multiple opinions--and consolidated into a single thread--is at the same time leading with your jaw & opening a can of worms nobody wants to smell.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 525I
I did some research on my own and i found the site which sells them they cost $150 just for the dock and $500 for any one who wants the whole kit if anyone was interested
Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 09 535xiT
ipod/USB cord

is there any way to get a longer cord? i really dislike having to open the console each time i enter/exit the car, as it's an iphone and i have to take it with each time. i'd like to extend a longer cord out the side for easy connection on short trips. if not, i guess i'll have to get
a dedicated ipod for the car.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
Aux jack AND Ipod integration

Just got a 2006 525i last night and instead of installing the integration kit they just put an aux jack in the glove box. They will correct when i bring the car back in but is there a way to keep both? I wouldn't mind having the option to plug in my wife's ipod as well as have mine integrated? Is this possible and does it make sense? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by uva25 View Post
Just got a 2006 525i last night and instead of installing the integration kit they just put an aux jack in the glove box. They will correct when i bring the car back in but is there a way to keep both? I wouldn't mind having the option to plug in my wife's ipod as well as have mine integrated? Is this possible and does it make sense? Thanks.
Yes, you can have both. In fact, in the '08s, the aux input is standard, whether or not you order the iPod integration. It certainly makes sense to me to have both, if no additional cost is involved.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 AM

i think the ipod requires either the aux input alone or the aux+usb. don't think it can work on the usb alone. this would mean only one could be plugged in at a time.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbal View Post
i think the ipod requires either the aux input alone or the aux+usb. don't think it can work on the usb alone. this would mean only one could be plugged in at a time.
That is true for the MY08 iPod/USB adapter, wich is a factory only installed option.

uva25 has an '06 with the aux input already installed, and was asking about also installing the iPod Interface (different from the factory installed iPod/USB option in MY08), and as WJGreer said, both can be installed.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM

ahhh. on another note, anyone know if i can find a longer usb/aux adapter so i don't have to dig to the bottom of the console and put my iphone in there each time i get in/out of the car?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Quick question, I have a BMW 2004 525i. I Don't have a CD changer, what is my best move in order to add ipod functionality to my car? Is it possible to control it through idrive? If so, is this something BMW would have to install? What cost? Any good aftermarkets that I could add quickly. THanks
Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjones6 View Post
Quick question, I have a BMW 2004 525i. I Don't have a CD changer, what is my best move in order to add ipod functionality to my car? Is it possible to control it through idrive? If so, is this something BMW would have to install? What cost? Any good aftermarkets that I could add quickly. THanks
The BMW iPod interface will do the trick--though there are some limitations. If you search "iPod interface" in this thread you'll get lots of info.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Leave plugged in?

I notice when the iPod is connected and I turn the car off, the iPod remains on, apparently charging.

Is there any concern about leaving the iPod connected for extended periods while the car is off?

I would think such a small device would not draw significant current and drain the car's battery, but just want to be sure...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 PM

I said I would get back with an update on the problem getting enough volume from my iPod through the Auxiliary Connection.
I'm almost embarrassed to tell you guys how I solved my problem.
First, let me breifly reiterate:
I installed a Griffin TuneFlex for iPod on the Aux connection on the rear of the center console in my 2008 535xi. It has a gooseneck that plugs into the cigarette lighter/power source. It holds and charges the iPod while a connecting cord plugs into the Aux connection. It seemed to work fine except that it was not loud enough. I ordered a headphone amplifier called "Boostaroo". When the product arrived, I plugged it in and not only did it not increase the volume, there was NO sound. However, I happened to be browsing "Best Buy" where I had purchased the TuneFlex and decided to check to see if they had another one in stock. While reading the package I noticed a very small picture of a very small switch located under the aux cord that could not be seen from above when installed in the car.
To make a long story short, I flipped the little switch from "Lo" to "Hi" and the sound coming through the speakers from the iPod is nice and loud now.

Hope this helps someone.

Teach
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 525i
I spoke w/ one of the service consultants at Champman-Camelback in Phoenix yesterday and was quoted a price of $650 over the phone to have the BMW iPod adapter installed on my '05 525i. I'd seen some others on the thread being quoted around $800 so I'm assuming the $650 is fairly reasonable.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC B View Post
I spoke w/ one of the service consultants at Champman-Camelback in Phoenix yesterday and was quoted a price of $650 over the phone to have the BMW iPod adapter installed on my '05 525i. I'd seen some others on the thread being quoted around $800 so I'm assuming the $650 is fairly reasonable.
The part cost $300 (and most dealers give 10% BMWCCA discount).

For install, if you have a CD changer, it's an easy DIY (see attached instructions). If you don't want to mess with it, or you don't have a CD changer, the BMW instructions say it's 0.75 hours labor.

So $650 sounds way too high.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iPod interface install.pdf (234.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 525i
No CD Changer and no aux jack installed... looked in the glove box under the flashlight and it's a plain piece of plastic there. I'm not worried about doing the DIY as you provided. However I would need to get the aux jack installed in the first place. Correct?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC B View Post
No CD Changer and no aux jack installed... looked in the glove box under the flashlight and it's a plain piece of plastic there. I'm not worried about doing the DIY as you provided. However I would need to get the aux jack installed in the first place. Correct?

Even without the CD changer, it looks like a simple DIY, but be aware that your dealer will need to program your car to recognize the iPod interface (which emulates the CD changer), and the difference between the programming charge and full install charge may not be worth the hassle of doing the install yourself.

No--the iPod interface does not require the aux input.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
So even if you do the hardware install yourself, the car must be reprogrammed by the dealer and they might charge the full price of installation anyway?

What exactly does the reprogramming do ?

Will the ipod work without the programming?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 AM

Comments in bold below

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjax View Post
So even if you do the hardware install yourself, the car must be reprogrammed by the dealer and they might charge the full price of installation anyway?
That's not what I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
Even without the CD changer, it looks like a simple DIY, but be aware that your dealer will need to program your car to recognize the iPod interface (which emulates the CD changer), and the difference between the programming charge and full install charge may not be worth the hassle of doing the install yourself.
What exactly does the reprogramming do ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
Will the ipod work without the programming?
If you have a CD changer, yes. If not, no.