Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_kk View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a certified 525i, 2006 model. It doesn't have any IPod integration options, only the CD player. But, it has blue-tooth and NAV. Production date: 08/2005.

I am wondering if I buy one of those blue-tooth adapters for my IPod video(3G), will I be able to listen to my IPoD in the car speakers. What about the audio quality? would it be comparable to the FM transmitter option or better?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/02/j...tooth-adapter/

Also, did any one figure out how to copy the NAV content and mp3 songs on the same dual-layer DVD so that they can play mp3 and also use the navigation simultaneously. This might be a cheaper option than buying the IPod integration kit.

Thanks,
KK.
I have a bunch of double layer MP3 DVDs in my car, and play them in the nav drive. I don't think there's a way to do what you suggest, since the car either recognizes the DVD as a Navteq DVD, or an MP3 DVD.

I almost never use nav, so not an issue for me.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
MP3 on a DVD

Hi,

That's great to know. could you share how you burnt the mp3 to the double layer DVD? I mean which software did you use? Any specific configuration options?

Also, please let me know the format of the DVD. is it DVD+R or DVD-R etc.

Many thanks in Advance for your help.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hi,

That's great to know. could you share how you burnt the mp3 to the double layer DVD? I mean which software did you use? Any specific configuration options?

Also, please let me know the format of the DVD. is it DVD+R or DVD-R etc.

Many thanks in Advance for your help.
I use Nero and Verbatim DVD+R DL DVDs (your DVD drive naturally needs to be double layer capable). Nero configuration and DVD details in posts 26 & 27 of this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=135231&page=2
Old 09-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I don't own Nero. I have Roxio and Sonic. Do you have any guidelines to burn with those software? I tried my best, but it didn't recognize.

Do you have any recommendation for other free shareware that I could use to burn?

Thanks either way.

KK.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I don't own Nero. I have Roxio and Sonic. Do you have any guidelines to burn with those software? I tried my best, but it didn't recognize.

Do you have any recommendation for other free shareware that I could use to burn?

Thanks either way.

KK.
When you say "it didn't recognize" what do you mean by it? The DVD you burned won't play in the nav dash DVD drive? Did you test it in your PC DVD drive?

The settings I used with Nero should also work with Roxio or Sonic. Does your car have MP3 playback capability ('06 and later do, but '05 and earlier needs to have it done by dealer--you can search this thread for more info).
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
My dealer wants $600 inclusive of all parts and install. They are also currently offering a free Ipod Nano with the upgrade, so it effectively makes the price $450 installed. Compared to what I have been reading people are being quoted on here this seems to be very reasonable, so I am going to go ahead and have it done. I was going to have to buy a nano anyway, as I want one to leave in my car permanently instead of having to unplug my phone from the glove box every time I get out of the car to take it with me.

Does this pricing seem good to you guys?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebanks View Post
My dealer wants $600 inclusive of all parts and install. They are also currently offering a free Ipod Nano with the upgrade, so it effectively makes the price $450 installed. Compared to what I have been reading people are being quoted on here this seems to be very reasonable, so I am going to go ahead and have it done. I was going to have to buy a nano anyway, as I want one to leave in my car permanently instead of having to unplug my phone from the glove box every time I get out of the car to take it with me.

Does this pricing seem good to you guys?
The part is ~$300 list, and every dealer I know of offers at least 10% BMWCCA discount.

Installation--per the BMW doc--is 0.75 hours.

So $450 - $270 = $180 you're being charged for labor, or $240/hour.

It's a fairly easy DIY (instructions have been posted in this thread). If you don't have the CD changer, the dealer would need to program iDrive to recognize the iPod interface (it emulates the CD changer).

Here's what I'd do. Contact Garry Romani at BMW of Newport (877-408-0108). He sells parts/accessories at 25% discount, so that's $225, plus say $10 shipping, so $235 for part. Install yourself. If you don't have a CD changer, the dealer will need to program IDrive, but I can't imagine them trying to charge more than 1 hour labor.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
iPod kit for 2004 BMW 530i

The step by step installation for your 545 was helpful. However, I am told that my 2004 BMW 530i does NOT have an auxillary input. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what are my options for direct connecting my iPod (i.e. not via FM)? Thx.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04BMW5series View Post
The step by step installation for your 545 was helpful. However, I am told that my 2004 BMW 530i does NOT have an auxillary input. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what are my options for direct connecting my iPod (i.e. not via FM)? Thx.
Aux input was not standard on the '04 E60, so it would need to have been installed after taking delivery.

Aux input is a good solution (but all you can control with the car is volume, and it doesn't charge the iPod). Or you can get the BMW iPod interface. Some--including me--feel the shortcommings don't make it worthwhile (lots of discussion of pros/cons in this thread, so search on it if you haven't).

I burn 8 GB double layer MP3 DVDs and play in the nav DVD drive.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: TBD
Controlling Ipod through iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
The part is ~$300 list, and every dealer I know of offers at least 10% BMWCCA discount.

Installation--per the BMW doc--is 0.75 hours.

So $450 - $270 = $180 you're being charged for labor, or $240/hour.

It's a fairly easy DIY (instructions have been posted in this thread). If you don't have the CD changer, the dealer would need to program iDrive to recognize the iPod interface (it emulates the CD changer).

Here's what I'd do. Contact Garry Romani at BMW of Newport (877-408-0108). He sells parts/accessories at 25% discount, so that's $225, plus say $10 shipping, so $235 for part. Install yourself. If you don't have a CD changer, the dealer will need to program IDrive, but I can't imagine them trying to charge more than 1 hour labor.

So if you do the DIY as you described, can I browse through artists/genres/etc through iDrive?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbehler View Post
So if you do the DIY as you described, can I browse through artists/genres/etc through iDrive?
Yes, with some limitations, which I consider too significant to buy the BMW interface. Do a search on this thread--lots of discussion on pros and cons.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Hi Stream,

I took the SIB (that you uploaded) to the dealer and he finally upgraded the Progrman to version 20. Now, my in-dash plays mp3. Also, the DVD that I burnt using Nero also plays mp3 files. Many thanks for your help. Without the SIB, i don't think the dealer would've upgraded it. I owe you a beer.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 530i
Guys i need some help

I have an early 2005 BMW 530i and wanted to know about options for connecting an ipod.

My car does not have bluetooth nor does it have NAV. it does however have a 6 CD Changer and an individual CD on the dash.

Could someone please tell me how to get my ipod or iphone connected via the idrive?

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBimmerGuy View Post
Guys i need some help

I have an early 2005 BMW 530i and wanted to know about options for connecting an ipod.

My car does not have bluetooth nor does it have NAV. it does however have a 6 CD Changer and an individual CD on the dash.

Could someone please tell me how to get my ipod or iphone connected via the idrive?

Cheers.
Can your in-dash player play MP3s?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Guys i need some help

Cheers.
The BMW iPod interface would work--it replaces/emulates the CD changer. There are some shortcommings (do a search), which I considered a deal breaker, so I play MP3 DVDs in the nav drive (which I understand is not an option for you).

If you can't play MP3 CDs in the dash CD drive, you'll need to have the MP3 playback retrofit performed (covered under warranty in US).
Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 AM

Thanks for the info.

But you are certain that the ipod interface can be installed on my car?

Also, wanted to clarify whether an aux connection will give me idrive capabilities or whether that is exclusive to the ipod interface.

Lastly , how much would all of this cost...?

Thanks again for your help...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Can your in-dash player play MP3s?
I beleive it cant.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Comments in bold below

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Certain is a strong word. I believe it can.

Also, wanted to clarify whether an aux connection will give me idrive capabilities or whether that is exclusive to the ipod interface.
Aux input is an audio only connection, so you need to control everything (except volume) from the iPod.

Depends on the dealer. If you search this thread, you'll see what others have paid, and there are installation SIBs posted which show BMW's labor time estimates.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi
Stream,

I take it you don't have a CD changer and wonder if you can answer whether mp3 CDs can be played in the six-CD box. (I cannot on mine, but those mp3 CDs play perfectly well if loaded in the main CD player.)

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRules! View Post
Stream,

I take it you don't have a CD changer and wonder if you can answer whether mp3 CDs can be played in the six-CD box. (I cannot on mine, but those mp3 CDs play perfectly well if loaded in the main CD player.)

Thanks!
The 6-disc changer is not capable of playing MP3's, only the in dash player can do this...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Yes, you can get the BMW iPod interface. As Stream points out, you lose the 6-disc changer. I did this on my Jan 2004 built 545 (no Nav or BT) and it worked well. Stream is right to point out some shortcomings though for me (and you), MP3 capability is not an option so the iPod interface was an easy choice for me. The major issue is the number of songs and playlists the option can handle. You will not be able to hook up a 60 Gb iPod and access all the songs. Can't recall the limit but it was something like 250 songs, maybe more. I had a 4 GB Nano I left in the glove box and never ran into that limit...

Ballpark, getting the dealer to do the install will likely run you $500-$700. Depends on location, hours charged for labor etc. Some have been quoted even higher prices so shop around if you can.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:56 AM

Thanks for all your help guys...

I'm gonna have a chat with my dealer about his ridiculous price and see if i can bring it down!

Cheers.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i and Audi A4
stream,

It looks like we both have the same car (05 545i) and in the Bay Area.

"at least 10% BMWCCA discount ... Here's what I'd do. Contact Garry Romani at BMW of Newport (877-408-0108). He sells parts/accessories at 25% discount, so that's $225, plus say $10 shipping, so $235 for part. Install yourself. If you don't have a CD changer, the dealer will need to program IDrive, but I can't imagine them trying to charge more than 1 hour labor." - where can I find instructions on how to set this up myself?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
The 6-disc changer is not capable of playing MP3's, only the in dash player can do this...
Thanks for the confirmation. (the changer does play CD-RW files btw.)

I plan to research whether there are any 6-disc changers than can play mp3 files. If anyone knows about it, please post your feedback.

Edit: looks like many CD changers are there in the market. See http://www.mysimon.com/9015-11144_8-20606769.html Question now is: can we just substitute these changers with the original one that came with the car?

I understand that the mp3 option is probably going to attract a miniscule % of the bimmer users. So, sorry if this bores the others.

Thanks,

Last edited by BimmerRules!; 11-26-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i and Audi A4
Lightbulb

It would be great if there's a MP3 changer that can play mp3 files and display the ID3 tags on the nav screen