Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchnife View Post
Total nfg here. Been reading through the treads for about a month and soaking up all the info on my 328i I should be getting in March. One thing I have yet to see about the 6FL ipod integration is the ability of the idrive to control the Genius function in the Ipod. Is it possible to create a new Genius playlist through the control of the idrive? Thanks
I don't have 6FL in my car, but I don't think you can create any playlists (or anything, for that matter) through iDrive--but rather only play what exists on the device.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: Not a Z4
Sorry guys to put this kinda newbie question out there, but really not finding a satisfying answer. So I am going to be ordering a new BMW soon. Is it worth the money to have the factory installed BMW Ipod integration?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoky View Post
Sorry guys to put this kinda newbie question out there, but really not finding a satisfying answer. So I am going to be ordering a new BMW soon. Is it worth the money to have the factory installed BMW Ipod integration?
Depends on your needs but for me yes! If you drive all day listening to talk radio then maybe no, you don't need it. But the storage capacity of the iPod (vs burned MP3 discs in the console drive) and iDrive integration are well worth it in my view. There are third party options that will connect in the glove box and work with iDrive as well...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i
I have a 2008 550i with Navigation and without the CD changer. I also have an iPhone 3G. I want to get the iPhone cradle so I can charge the phone and use the external antenna. I also want to get a USB interface. I currently have about 80 albums on a DVD in MP3 format that I am playing through the iDrive and the Navigation system but I want my navigation system back. I just bought a 32Gb flash drive and want to play my music through the USB interface off of it instead. I have spoken to several dealers and received conflicting responses. Several said that they cannot retrofit the USB interface. They also want $330 for the iPhone 3G cradle and said that all the space under the cradle will be lost to wires.

Can I get the USB interface installed in my car and if so what is the Part Number. Should I let the dealer do it or can I do it myself?

Is $330 reasonable for the cradle (sounds expensive to me) and does it real wipe out all the space under the cradle with wires?

I am sure some of this has been covered in this thread already but I had a hard time finding it.

Thank you!!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Comments in bold below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumahn View Post
I have a 2008 550i with Navigation and without the CD changer. I also have an iPhone 3G. I want to get the iPhone cradle so I can charge the phone and use the external antenna. I also want to get a USB interface. I currently have about 80 albums on a DVD in MP3 format that I am playing through the iDrive and the Navigation system but I want my navigation system back. I just bought a 32Gb flash drive and want to play my music through the USB interface off of it instead. I have spoken to several dealers and received conflicting responses. Several said that they cannot retrofit the USB interface. They also want $330 for the iPhone 3G cradle and said that all the space under the cradle will be lost to wires.

Can I get the USB interface installed in my car and if so what is the Part Number. Should I let the dealer do it or can I do it myself?
The iPod / USB adapter is currently only available as a factory installed option, although I've heard rumors it will be released at some point as a retrofit.

Is $330 reasonable for the cradle (sounds expensive to me) and does it real wipe out all the space under the cradle with wires?
For parts and labor, doesn't sound too bad, and no, it doesn't take up all the space below it. See this thread for details:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172379

I am sure some of this has been covered in this thread already but I had a hard time finding it.

Thank you!!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Damn, the cradle is nice but I really wanted that USB adapter. One dealer quoting me about $700 to install it, were they mistaken?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: '06 550i 6-speed
I got quotes from 3 dealers ($900, $700, and $500).
Haven't done it yet, though.
With all those rumors of 6FL retrofit for '05-'06 cars........i wonder if i should just wait and see.
2001 330i (retired) - 5-speed/sport/heated seats/xenons/DICE iPod interfaces
Old 01-23-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Damn, the cradle is nice but I really wanted that USB adapter. One dealer quoting me about $700 to install it, were they mistaken?
No...there were a rip off...
Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriska00 View Post
I got quotes from 3 dealers ($900, $700, and $500).
Haven't done it yet, though.
With all those rumors of 6FL retrofit for '05-'06 cars........i wonder if i should just wait and see.
I would--I am.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 PM

But you said that the USB interface was not available as a retrofit however I did get a quote from Steve Thomas BMW to install it for $700. I am confused.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
But you said that the USB interface was not available as a retrofit however I did get a quote from Steve Thomas BMW to install it for $700. I am confused.
I am not aware of the USB / Ipod adapter being available as a dealer installed accessory. My guess is your dealer is in a beta program for it (not likely...), or is confusing it with the BMW iPod interface (very likely).
Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
IPOD Connection

All,
I am not sure what BMW USA is doing with the prices. I live in germany and own a US spec 5, I took it in last year for the IPOD installation. It ended up costing around $300 for the everything (parts, labor and the software upgrade). It was done with the interface and the IPOD is in the glove. No issues with control, everything is done thru the Idrive. I reccommend it as a exec touch. Nothing better than crusing 200k and changing from lil wayne to LL.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
OK, I did a search on this thread but could not find an answer to my question. I have a 2007 550i with Progman V26 and the factory installed iPod adapter. It works great with my 80GB iPod. I just purchased an iPhone 3G and when I plug it into the adapter, I get a message on the iPhone that says charging is not support for this device. My Idrive recognizes the iPhone just fine and I can play the music no problem, but it appears that it's not charging my iPhone. Any suggestions? Will a progman upgrade fix my charging problem?

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAMMY View Post
OK, I did a search on this thread but could not find an answer to my question. I have a 2007 550i with Progman V26 and the factory installed iPod adapter. It works great with my 80GB iPod. I just purchased an iPhone 3G and when I plug it into the adapter, I get a message on the iPhone that says charging is not support for this device. My Idrive recognizes the iPhone just fine and I can play the music no problem, but it appears that it's not charging my iPhone. Any suggestions? Will a progman upgrade fix my charging problem?
When you say the factory installed iPod adapter, do you mean 6FL (iPod and USB adapter, which as far as I know is the only factory installed one)? If so, I recall hearing there was an updated cable that addressed the charging issue.

I see you have an '07, but I don't think 6FL was available until MY08.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: Not a BMW
Holy crap! I just finished reading this whole thread! OMG!! I need help! LOL!! Just kidding lots of great info here!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
When you say the factory installed iPod adapter, do you mean 6FL (iPod and USB adapter, which as far as I know is the only factory installed one)? If so, I recall hearing there was an updated cable that addressed the charging issue.

I see you have an '07, but I don't think 6FL was available until MY08.
Stream, my apologies, brain burp/fart, I meant to say dealer installed iPod adapter/cable - I do not have the 6FL option. My iPhone works fine with Idrive, I can scroll through the various playlists, etc, but it looks like it's not charging my iPhone. I'm wondering if I need a new cable or will a progman upgrade fix the charging issue?

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Old 02-07-2009, 03:29 PM

As I recall, BMW did come out with a new cable to handle the different power needs of the iPhone. Likely you need a new cable, but I cannot quote you a part number...
Old 02-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
As I recall, BMW did come out with a new cable to handle the different power needs of the iPhone. Likely you need a new cable, but I cannot quote you a part number...
I recall that as well, but I believe you're thinking of the pig-tail cable for the 6FL (factory installed) iPod option, not the dealer installed iPod accessory.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Of course, you are correct Stream. I am thinking of the 6FL option...
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 PM
L5 Commander

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi
Quote:

Thank you!!
Check other dealer's prices and compare:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=794369

Last edited by NeoE60; 02-24-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
i have a 2000 323i with the biz cd, i dont think it has dsp. no aux button. I want to install an ipod interface. what are my options. spending as little as possible. trying to leave ipod in glove box and being able to charge.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Harmon Kardon Drive + Play Issue

I just bought a used '07 530i (SMG), the car came with professionally installed Harmon Kardon (HK) Drive + Play (first generation) adapter/kit. The problem is that the HK dipslay screen shows "Please Wait" message everytime I start the car, but when I connect the iPod the iPod screen dispalys "OK to Disconnect" after this the HK display screen only shows "Please Wait" and nothig else comes on (oh yeah there is also a "02,1" message that keeps on blinking on the lower left corner of the HK diplay screen along with the "Please Wait" message).

I was wodering if someone has encountered this and if there is a way to fix it. I called HK and they told me to reset the the kit by unpluggig the wires. The problem with that is the adapter, which is installed somewhere behind the dash which I dont have access to.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Last edited by proxy123; 02-23-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
L5 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeene View Post
Ya, I was quoted $910.

I think this is complete Bullsh.... 2.5 hours of shop time to plug a car into a computer...$410 for the parts plus 1.5 hours of install time?

Come on. Its plug and play with a software download. Maybe some interior trim removal and making sure the connectors are clipped together.

My service advisor is a good guy and is trying but when is BMW going to get control of the dealers who fleece us because we can afford a BMW.

I am convinced that with the help of this forum and my ability to read and retain information I know more about the car than they do.

My salesman as much as told me so today.

Don't get me wrong, its a slick setup. Why do I have to pay 3 times what the Ipod itslef cost to get it? Even a Bose Sound-dock is cheaper...
I agree, there are stealerships out there that are totally unethical. Here's an easy way to compare dealership rates on part + labor:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...***entry784945

Support the ethical ones, hopefully, the rest will get the message.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
L5 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehitter530xi View Post
First off, thanks for all the information everyone, this thread is packed with facts.
OK, so I had the adapter installed last week in my non-NAV '06 530xi. Here are my thoughts:
1. Sounds brilliant.
2. The limitations previously mentioned of the number of songs per 'folder' are pretty annoying, though i have adjusted by making a bunch of playlists with fewer than 500 songs.
3. I love iPod's 'random' feature, it is one of the things that makes them better than cds in my opinion. however, on the BMW interface the 'random all' command is pretty often overmatched in some way and regularly just plays the next song on the list. This is not very cool and usually takes a 'play' command and then another 'random all' command to dispel. Pain.
4. The most annoying feature is the fact that when you select a folder (say, playlists or 'mp3 1') it will automatically go into the default (the first 500 songs on your iPod) playlist and begin playing the first song. i really do not want to have to listen to AC/DC every single time i turn on the iPod (much as i love them). I REALLY hope i find a way around this but right now i have to navigate out of that playlist and into another and there seems to be no way to accomplish this task before angus starts ripping off chords. More pain.
5. Sounds brilliant.

Before the 530, which I just bought used, i had a Jetta wagon with an Alpine iDX1000 head unit in it. Apple and Alpine have worked closely and that head unit really does replicate the interface of an iPod very well. I love my BMW, but i do miss the alpine right now...
Thanks for the detailed info! I'm in the same boat...er, ride...as you and this really helps spells out exactly whether getting the iPod integration kit is worth it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
L5 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjones6 View Post
So I am thinking about getting the BMW Ipod Kit installed by my nearby BMW. They told me it will cost $599 to install it into my 2004 BMW glove compartment.

1 Does it really cost $599 for the Ipod Kit, does that include installation cost?

2 They are going to place it in the glove compartment, is it possible for BMW to install it inside my arm box?

3 BMW told me the CD player will no longer be functional, is this true?

4 What is the brand name of the Ipod kit that BMW currently installs?

5 What do you think of the BMW ipod kit, Pros/Cons?

Thanks in advance.
Don't pay over $400 for the kit, installed.