Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i, Barbera Red
I put a new iPod Nano in my 2010 535 (Nav system) today and it works great. Charges and everything. Just FYI.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamer El-Meehy View Post
oh you must have the new iDrive then..it could be that the new iDrive has a higher capacity
My Idrive is not the same one in the 2010 but I will say this I dont have 80gig of music on my ipod. I have about 30 gigs and I can access all of it. To answer your other question I got the ipod adapter from BMW in Rhode Island.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Tamer

Mein Auto: 2006 523i
Well..I'm in Egypt..not very far away from you..but my iPod has 160 GB of music and my BMW is a 2006 523i...so my iPod is excessively large and my iDrive - hypothetically - has a smaller capacity..I just ordered te Densopn Gateway 500..it should solve this annoying problem
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamer El-Meehy View Post
Well..I'm in Egypt..not very far away from you..but my iPod has 160 GB of music and my BMW is a 2006 523i...so my iPod is excessively large and my iDrive - hypothetically - has a smaller capacity..I just ordered te Densopn Gateway 500..it should solve this annoying problem
I saw that unit....Does it play video too?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Tamer

Mein Auto: 2006 523i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsBMW View Post
I saw that unit....Does it play video too?
To be honest I have no clue..all I know is that it - reportedly - offers a bigger capacity, full control of your iPod and allows you to keep your CD changer
Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM
The Drone Dog

Mein Auto: 525i (E60) Alpine White
aux port install

after reading a ton of these threads on this site and others, i decided to install the aux port on my car. it is a 04 which was built in 11/03. i do not have nav or a cd changer. but that is not why i decided this way. well part of it is.
here are my reasons:
1) even getting an adapter right now sounds hard. i have contacted a number of BMW places and no ones seems to have one.
2) the mobridge ones seem expensive for a car that i have had 6 years and will probably trade in another 2.
3) with my set up and the factory adapter, there is the whole song and folder issue.
4) i am not sure what version of ipod i have or will have in another year or so. will a new one work with the software or will my old one?
5) with the aux port, i am not limited to just the one ipod. i can plug my shuffle into it or my blackberry to listen to music so i can have the ipod in another vehicle. or if it dies, like the last one did, i can switch to another one or my phone easily.
6) if i use my blackberry i can put on Pandora which is internet radio and like having sat radio in the car.

certainly i would love to have the idrive work the ipod or phone but i am sure i can manage. too old to worry about the wow factor at this point.

ok so this works for me and maybe just me. we all have our own priorities and that is what makes this forum and threads like this so long. but here is something else i was wondering....

my blackberry has a 3.5mm port to plug earphones into. the earphones they give you use this plug and have a mic with a button on it to answer a call if you are listening to music when a call comes in (mutes the music). so if these ear buds and mic work off this 3.5mm jack, can i somehow splice this set up to a 3.5mm plug that would go into the aux port? if i can, then i can mount the mic up on the dash somewhere and at this point have a hands free system that works thru the speakers of the car. as long as i am listening to the phone thru the aux. well in theory anyway, this sounds good. any electrical guys here that can give me some info on that? can i open up the plug on my headphones and take the wires that run to the ear buds and connect them to a 3.5mm jack that would go into the aux port?

with his set up i get a version of sat radio, mp3 music (with 800 songs) and a hands free phone... again in theory.
Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525white View Post

my blackberry has a 3.5mm port to plug earphones into. the earphones they give you use this plug and have a mic with a button on it to answer a call if you are listening to music when a call comes in (mutes the music). so if these ear buds and mic work off this 3.5mm jack, can i somehow splice this set up to a 3.5mm plug that would go into the aux port? if i can, then i can mount the mic up on the dash somewhere and at this point have a hands free system that works thru the speakers of the car. as long as i am listening to the phone thru the aux. well in theory anyway, this sounds good. any electrical guys here that can give me some info on that? can i open up the plug on my headphones and take the wires that run to the ear buds and connect them to a 3.5mm jack that would go into the aux port?

with his set up i get a version of sat radio, mp3 music (with 800 songs) and a hands free phone... again in theory.
Thanks
Your setup is probably the same as my iPhone, so your 3.5 mm output takes either the standard 2 conductor audio plug, or 3 conductor plug that uses the extra conductor to control phone volume, etc. The problem with your suggestion however is that mounting the mic on the dash will most likely be too far from your mouth to be effective. You should look into a suitable mic for your idea to work.

Spyder
Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM
The Drone Dog

yup. i worry about that too. if i end up cutting my headphones apart, i have a separate mic to wire in that i used years ago and worked well. but before i do that i found an iphone adapter that will work in the phone and add a mic. it is made to allow you to use your normal stereo headphones. it is a mic, with an end call button and has a 3.5mm stereo plug on it. so instead of doing the headphones, i will use a male/male plug to go into the aux port. if the mic works ok, i am good. if not i will put my old headphones under the knife.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
spec.dock

I followed this thread while waiting to have my iPod integrated into the car. I finally went with the OEM kit (found one at a dealer 70 mi away while there on business) and had my local dealer install along with the (finally!) newly-released Gen 2.5 Sirius Sat Radio tuner - only had to pay one programming charge this way.

My details: iPhone 3GS running 3.1.2, Win 7 Premium 64-bit, iTunes 9.0.2

Results: As installed, factory kit worked fine with iPhone but would would not charge my 3GS. I bought the spec.dock kit (direct, but I since learned that BSW sells them...) and did a self-install along with the optional Cable Jive adapter they sent me to allow charging of my 3GS. Installed over the weekend per the excellent instructions emailed to me - BSW posts them also I believe... However, for their current v2 kit, I cut a slot in lower REAR of the ash tray and not a 3/4" hole in the BOTTOM as the kit said to do... This done to pass the iPod cable end thhrough to connect up with factory iPod cable - and the charging adaptor goes in the middle.

Looks great, charges my iPhone 3GS and I am happy with the car!

However - as many may already know, there are compatibility issues now with iTunes 9 and Win 7, so count me in the club of many folks who are now trying to get their devices to sync and update their music libraries for enjoyment in the car!

If anyone else has solved this, please advise. Otherwise, I'll post up when I get it sorted out...

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.

Last edited by djcwardog; 11-05-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
UPDATE to iTunes and Windows 7 - solved!

I read that one of the things to try is to use only a direct motherboard USB port - typically on the back of your PC. I moved my iPod sync cable and plugged it in back there...and it all sync'd and worked great this morning: Win 7 Premium 64-bit and iTunes 9.0.2. My music library is mobile - again!

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
The Drone Dog

aux port install

i have gotten my retro kit. i have one question on the instructions from BMW if someone can help me. it says to remove the wires from branch A2 and install them in connector X13813. the plug that came with my kit looks like X13813. do i still pull the wires from this plug and put in a plug that is already there? it seems silly that BMW would send a plug if you are not going to use it. but something i read lead me to believe i needed to use the plug already there... if there is one.
can anybody give me some insight on what i will do once the unit is out?
thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 AM
karate monkey

Mein Auto: 550i
Treo 750 in new E60?

Sorry. Posted to wrong thread.

Last edited by cc4005; 11-04-2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 11-12-2009, 05:35 PM
The Drone Dog

installed

i have installed my aux port and gotten it programed by the dealer. the dealer charged me two hours for programming and we had our words about that. but i got it done and it works fine. as described at the beginning of this thread, i removed the resister in the line before installing. not much to add to the install part if you want to DIY. i would heed the warning about removing the trim with your fingers as it says. there is also not a lot of room to move the wiring around but it is doable. i did not unplug the heat/ac wiring to the switches. i used a small bungi cord from the mirror and just held it up out of the way.
i mounted my port into the back of the little recessed pocket on the dash. my car does not have nav and has a little recessed pocket below the radio controls. i mounted the port there because it can not be seen and the hole could be plugged (and not seen) if i wanted to move it. this also left me a short 12" cable to my device which i set in the pocket. it is also right next to the cig lighter to plug in any charger.
the ipod is really low if you do not have a way to line-out the music. i have a belkin charger and booster. it really helps. i notice on my blackberry that this is not an issue from the phone. it is just as loud right out of the 3.5mm jack. i wanted to be able to plug my phone in so i could listen to the pandora or slacker internet radio apps. i have ordered an IPhone cable that is just a microphone and allows to plug headphones in this cable. i plan to plug the male 3.5mm cable right from it into my port. as soon as i get it i will let you know how the mic works. i am now trying to decide if i want some kind of holder so i can just reach out and change songs or do whatever. i have seen some that clip into the vents. the main thing here is i want something easy to use and clean. i also want to be able to hang my garmin on it so i can use it for multiple things.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: E46 323i, E60 545i
I've read through 31 pages, all I can say is thanks for the info and patience. I would like to know if there has been any updates on a retrofit for a SA 6FL USB/Aux interface for older E60s. Otherwise the Aux Input seems like the cheapest and least intrusive of the options.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
In case anyone is wondering, I added a Scosche passPORT (purchased through amazon) to my 2007 550i. I'm using it with a 4G Nano, which now charges since I've added the passPORT.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
The Drone Dog

I am not sure if anyone is still following this thread but at some point someone may read. i have been using my AUX port hook up for a month or more now. on short trips around home, i just plug in my shuffle and leave it in the pocket below the radio. i do not have nav and it tucks right in there. the sound is fine and i can easily get it loud enough. i do have to turn it down if i switch to radio which i seldom do.
For longer trips i plug my BB storm in and listen to Pandora internet radio. i really like how that plan works. i bought a mic plug-in for an iphone that allows you to use any head phone you want. into this i plug the male/male cable i use with the ipod. the mic actually works well if someone calls and i get the phone reception over the car speakers.
For me this system works very well. i have found i like the internet radio better than using my ipod. i took my main one out of the car and only use the shuffle. and again i only use on short trips. i would recommend this set up for anyone with an older 5 and i think you will be very happy with the sound and ability to use.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550
I thought this thread was dead also. However, I am going to throw a few questions out for comment:

1. Has anyone had the iPod interface adapter installed recently, and if so, are there still the limitations that we see referred to throughout the life of the thread?
2. Are there any new aftermarket options that would be a good substitute for the BMW iPod adapter?
3. Any updates on the status of the 6FL retrofit for the U.S. market?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i, Barbera Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimaria View Post
I thought this thread was dead also. However, I am going to throw a few questions out for comment:

1. Has anyone had the iPod interface adapter installed recently, and if so, are there still the limitations that we see referred to throughout the life of the thread?
2. Are there any new aftermarket options that would be a good substitute for the BMW iPod adapter?
1. I have one in my 2010 535 and it works great. I use a pretty new iPod Nano. It charges and shows all the pertinent information on the screen nav screen.

2010 535i, Barbera Red Metallic, Creambeige/black Dakota leather, Sport, Nav
Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 94 Mazda RX-7
'08 550i also not playing / charging the 4G Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmn View Post
In case anyone is wondering, I added a Scosche passPORT (purchased through amazon) to my 2007 550i. I'm using it with a 4G Nano, which now charges since I've added the passPORT.
MJSMN - I think I've got a similar problem to yours - I've got a 2008 550i, bought it with the 6FL iPod adapter. Has worked fine with my 30GB Video iPod consistently.

I bought a recent 16GB Nano (green, 4G I believe)... and not only doesn't it charge when I connect it to the 6FL adapter... it doesn't even connect to play songs through iDrive (AUX input)!

I may buy the Scosche item you discussed above.... plus it should help the new Nano to charge in my Bose SoundDock (at least the Nano plays songs there, but doesn't charge).

Was your 4G Nano playing songs through the iDrive BEFORE the passPort?
2010 X5 xDrive30i /Alpine white over sand beige/Sport Activity/Premium/Cold Wx/Rear Climate/Technology/Active Ventilated + multicontour seats/ 55K miles
Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 525white View Post
I am not sure if anyone is still following this thread but at some point someone may read. i have been using my AUX port hook up for a month or more now. on short trips around home, i just plug in my shuffle and leave it in the pocket below the radio. i do not have nav and it tucks right in there. the sound is fine and i can easily get it loud enough. i do have to turn it down if i switch to radio which i seldom do.
For longer trips i plug my BB storm in and listen to Pandora internet radio. i really like how that plan works. i bought a mic plug-in for an iphone that allows you to use any head phone you want. into this i plug the male/male cable i use with the ipod. the mic actually works well if someone calls and i get the phone reception over the car speakers.
For me this system works very well. i have found i like the internet radio better than using my ipod. i took my main one out of the car and only use the shuffle. and again i only use on short trips. i would recommend this set up for anyone with an older 5 and i think you will be very happy with the sound and ability to use.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimaria View Post

Still alive and very useful!
2005 Steel Blue / Gray 325i
^Retired^
2007 550i Gray / Black - Mods: M5 mats, M5 spoiler, tint.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Raymond Lee
Mein Auto: BMW and MBZ
I leave iPod in the glove compartment if I am gone for less than 3 hours. Somehow it stays on and it is in charge mode even when engine is off. I have concern that plug and unplug actions will evantually wear out connector.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335 is Cabriolet
I just picked up a 2007 550i and the dealer gave me a connect cord for the iPod. Here is the dilema|: the cord is about 8" long, plugs in to the port at the rear of the console (armrest); where does the IPod GO?? have not got to seeing if it works yet.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuler View Post
I just picked up a 2007 550i and the dealer gave me a connect cord for the iPod. Here is the dilema|: the cord is about 8" long, plugs in to the port at the rear of the console (armrest); where does the IPod GO?? have not got to seeing if it works yet.
That's just an aux input cord. $1.50. Just choose th aux setting on your radio in iDrive and control your iPod iPhone or other MP3 from the device. The cord plugs into the headphone Jack.
^Retired^
Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
I am soo lost on what I can do!!!

Hello Everyone,

just joined up and I have a 2004 525i with out NAV. What are my options regarding getting a ipod hooked up to my car and or the idrive?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darktrader View Post
Hello Everyone,

just joined up and I have a 2004 525i with out NAV. What are my options regarding getting a ipod hooked up to my car and or the idrive?
Most if not all your questions will be answered by reading this thread, but you can either get an Aux input or the MOST adapter as OEM parts, and there are a lot of aftermarket options too.

Read.....
^Retired^