Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i Sport
iPod integration is definitely the way to go. Had a guy at work install the hardware, went to a local BMW dealership to have my software updated, and $350 later for everything it works and sounds fantastic. Wouldn't do it any other way...
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
New to the BMW stuff. So no matter what after the aux plug is installed you have to take it to the dealership for the software update?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530xiT
Ipod

I just installed the iPod MOST interface in my '06 530xiT. It's the BMW part (made by Alpine, as is the CD changer). I do not have NAV. I have the HK Logic7 system with the CDC, and my in dash player played mp3's. Although others on here seem to have been able to just plug and play, after installing the interface myself the car did not recognize the ipod. I took it to the dealer and they did a software update and it now works. I do notice that instead of saying CD 1, CD 2 ... CD 6, it now says MP3 1, MP3 2, etc. This is not in the manual either, so it seems that there have been at least some minor changes to either the hardware or software since 2008.

As for the people saying they were quoted $750, I would find another dealer. The part is $350 and I got the 10% car club discount. After that plus tax and shipping I paid about $348. The dealership charged one hour of labor, which is a rip-off since the whole thing only should be no more than 45 mins and I had already installed it myself. I probably spent 30 minutes doing it myself and I can't imagine the software update even took 15 mins, but whatever. Anyway, in total I spent about $475.

I can confirm that there is a 500 song per folder limit. Since my largest playlist though is less than 400, the limit does not bother me. Itunes creates a playlist though that is just everything, as well as the 90's music, and 00's music ones, so I can confirm the limit from those. I only have about 215 artists so they all show up but I would assume the 255 limit is correct also. It does take literally 1-2 mins to load the artist or albums, so switching is slow, but once loaded it is pretty quick and easy. Despite these limitations I love having the iDrive integration and not having to fiddle with the ipod while driving and I have always used playlists especially while driving, so for me it was worth it. Others may very well prefer the aux input method.

Lastly, the manual states that the 500 song per folder limit exists in vehicles with iDrive but w/o navi. It then states that there is a 1000 song per folder limit for 7 series vehicles, but gives no mention of the limit in non-7ers with NAV. I would assume then it is the same as the 7ers (i.e. 1000), but idk. The 255 limit seems to apply regardless though.

Last edited by Gwalchgwynn; 09-25-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added additional info
Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Has anyone had any issues after removing the capacitors and resistor? Any issues refering to problems with the oem equipment from removing them?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
By the way, here is the summary of my contributions and opinions on the subject:
  • iPod integration is ridiculously expensive on E60s, especially if your car wasn't built with it originally.
  • Ongoing compatibility with iPods is questionable; it's tough to use an iPhone as both an iPod and a phone at the same time using the iPod interface.
  • The software for the iPod interface has some odd limitations on number of songs, artists, playlists, etc.
  • The auxiliary input is much less expensive, has equal sound quality provided you use a line-out solution, and provides more flexibility in input sources.
  • There are some very cool aftermarket interfaces, like the Spec Dock, that make an auxiliary input solution even more slick.
  • BMW attenuated the input gain on all sources other than the radio and CD, so they are noticeably quieter. This is annoying, and can be addressed with a line-level signal amplifier.
For E60s, I think auxiliary is the way to go. Others may disagree.
I think this is the information I am looking for. I intend to purchase an 06 with Nav, and am thinking that AUX is the best solution. People are complaining about the sound quality, but it seems that those folks are using the mini-jack to headphone jack. But if you use a mini-jack to 30 pin (line out, in other words), the sound quality should be fine.

Am I right about this? Also, using the AUX, do I get steering wheel control? (I know I don't get idrive control - that's fine with me, as long as I can use the ipod itself for control).

Formerly in my garage: 1982 E21 (First car ) * 1995 E34 * 2007 E90 * 2002 E39 * A bunch of other American and Japanese cars I'd rather not mention .
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2007, 530i, silver grey
With the AUX input you can only control the volume, which is lower than the CD, radio, etc.
I have just ordered a mini to ipod connector and hopefully the volume will be better.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007, 530i, silver grey
I purchased the mini plug to Ipod connector from Amazon for $10.99 and now the volume level is the same as the other sources using Aux input.
I'm happy using my ipod to select and play songs.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by on1 View Post
I purchased the mini plug to Ipod connector from Amazon for $10.99 and now the volume level is the same as the other sources using Aux input.
I'm happy using my ipod to select and play songs.
Send me the link to that. SAT radio isn't the greatest music to listen to all the time
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
Cables To Go 35508 iPod-Compatible 3.5 mm to Dock Connector Audio Cable (4 Feet)
http://amzn.com/B000J022G6

Formerly in my garage: 1982 E21 (First car ) * 1995 E34 * 2007 E90 * 2002 E39 * A bunch of other American and Japanese cars I'd rather not mention .
Old 12-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: E60 bmw 550i
Question ipod aux cable install

Has anybody had this installed in Calgary, Alberta - if so how much & from whom. I have a 2006 E60 550i bought from Calgary BMW. Would love to get the ipod integration but not willing to pay high prices for parts & labor.

Last edited by smallgirl; 12-19-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: 530d, 330Ci, X5
Thanks all who have contributed to this useful thread, though I have to admit I skimmed a lot of it.

I'm not a fan of the aux input solution I use in my E46, and the Intravee in my wife's E53 isn't an option with a MOST bus. I don't *think* my questions have all been answered, and I can't find the answer the one I suspect has, so if anyone could clarify an help me decide whether or not to push the button on the iPod kit for my '05 530D that would really be appreciated.

Has anyone used the kit with the iPhone 4S? If so, and assuming it works, can you use the phone via Bluetooth (Parrot rather than OEM if that matters) while it's plugged in? If so, can you use Siri to select artists, albums and songs? In combination with a dozen or so playlists I mainly use for podcasts that would be a very workable solution for me for playing a specific artist or album that avoids the 500 / 255 limitation.

Failing that, has anyone tried a current iPod Touch using voice control, and if so does it work and can the microphone pick up commands? I imagine an external mic can be added via the headphone jack if the latter is the only problem.

Does the interface allow playing streamed audio like TuneIn Radio?

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light.

Fen

Last edited by FenC; 12-24-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Correcting horrendous typos
Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: '05 525i
I new to bimmerfest and i read all the pages on this thread. I was wondering if anyone could give me an updated estimated to install a aux input and possible software update on my 05 525i?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 530
I'm also interested in knowing current pricing for the iPod intergration.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 530d, 330Ci, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenC View Post
Thanks all who have contributed to this useful thread, though I have to admit I skimmed a lot of it.

I'm not a fan of the aux input solution I use in my E46, and the Intravee in my wife's E53 isn't an option with a MOST bus. I don't *think* my questions have all been answered, and I can't find the answer the one I suspect has, so if anyone could clarify an help me decide whether or not to push the button on the iPod kit for my '05 530D that would really be appreciated.

Has anyone used the kit with the iPhone 4S? If so, and assuming it works, can you use the phone via Bluetooth (Parrot rather than OEM if that matters) while it's plugged in? If so, can you use Siri to select artists, albums and songs? In combination with a dozen or so playlists I mainly use for podcasts that would be a very workable solution for me for playing a specific artist or album that avoids the 500 / 255 limitation.

Failing that, has anyone tried a current iPod Touch using voice control, and if so does it work and can the microphone pick up commands? I imagine an external mic can be added via the headphone jack if the latter is the only problem.

Does the interface allow playing streamed audio like TuneIn Radio?

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light.

Fen
Closing the loop on the questions I asked, I pushed the button on the BWM solution. Sound quality is excellent, and it's reasonable to use on my M-ASK screen (but much better with a Professional screen if I read the manual correctly, al most to the point of upgrading).

It does allow Siri with the iPhone 4S using my Parrot kit. It can also be used to play TuneIn radio, but you need a silent track to play on the iPod as it has to play something when the source is set to CD to use the interface, otherwise it's playing the radio.

2 negatives for me are that it doesn't continue playback from where the iPod got to last time. If you unplug the phone (which is pretty normal when you get out of the car as it's a phone) then it goes back to track 1 In the song list. Even if you dn't unplug it it goes back to track 1 of the album you were listening to whe it restarts. I have made my silent track the first in my song list so at least I don't get the same track every time I switch to iPod. Second issue is no pause function, which is not a huge issue, but I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks where missing even a few seconds is not ideal. At least they resume from where they left off if I don't disconnect the iPhone.

Overall I like it OK, better than the aux solution, but not as good as the Intravee in my wife's X5. I've got a spec.dock on the way to finish the job and it will then be better still. For what it's worth it was NZ$860 installed including updating the car to the latest software (US$709 at today's rate)
Old 01-28-2012, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335 is Cabriolet
Smile ipod

I have a 2007 550i with M package and had the dealer install the ipod integration kit a couiple of years ago. It works great; good sound, can select artist, song, genre etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i & 2012 535x GT
I took my 2004 to a dealer to get the AUX input installed, and after 2 hours they brought the car back and told me that they cannot install it as it is not possible on my car. They had previously stated that they could do it for ~$200. Upon reading this thread I have not noticed anybody else mentioning this problem. I called another BMW dealer in my area and they also told me that AUX in is not an option for 2004, that they can only install the Ipod in for ~ $700. Any ideas?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Tried to look up Spec.dock. The website is anemic and I can't select my car. Looks like they only sell Audi parts now. Is that correct?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i & 2012 535x GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
Tried to look up Spec.dock. The website is anemic and I can't select my car. Looks like they only sell Audi parts now. Is that correct?
Here's the link for the E60, hope it works for you:
http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/...V2I/Detail.bok
Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i with Sport/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuler View Post
I have a 2007 550i with M package and had the dealer install the ipod integration kit a couiple of years ago. It works great; good sound, can select artist, song, genre etc.
mschuler - I have a question. Have you tried using an iphone in the your car, or just an iPOD? If you're using an iphone, while its plugged in, can you use other music apps such as Pandora, Spotify, etc.

I remember reading someplace that when the iphone is plugged in, BMW sort of 'takes over' the controls. So I need to confirm, if it only takes over the itunes folder, or the complete iphone?

Thanks,
Serv

Last edited by Serv; 03-14-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i E60 09
550i 2009

Hello folks,

I am just buying a 550i sport 2009. It has NAV, 6 disc CD-Changer in the glovebox and the AUX input between the seats.

I have made my search and read a lot of posts from this excellent thread, but i'm sorry if I missed the one that answer my question bellow:

I'll will try first the AUX input with the iPod connector to 3,5mm mini-jack cable, but I'm wondering if someone knows if my iDrive version will have the iPod limitations such as 255 artists limit, 500 songs per playlist, etc.

I've read a post that these limitations apply to the non-NAV version, and since my car is newer, I could not find out if it still will have those limitations.

Thank's in advance!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Dension Gateway 500

Hello,

Is there anyone with iDrive CCC, text-capable, with NAV and 6 disc CD Changer that is using or have experience with DENSION Gateway 500???

I have found topics about dension, but none of them had idrive the specs above... I'd like to know what limitations/bug it should have in my 550i.

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM

No, but i just bought the Mobridge iPod unit. Haven't installed yet but will post later.
http://www.mobridge.us/products/most-ipod-aux
Supposedly the best solution on the market. Not cheap, but neither is the Dension.

Last edited by Oceans10; 03-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Hello Oceans10,

Are you going to install it by yourself? Are your iDrive the CCC version with NAV and CD Changer?

I have iDrive CCC with NAV and CD changer, I read the mobridge manual but did not understand if I will need re-conding or not...
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM

I have a top notch installer doing it for me, but I will watch the steps.
I have same unit as you with nav, no cd changer. No coding required.
Hopefully will have it in by next week.
I am also adding the digital preamp as part of new audio system, but that is a separate thing.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks Oceans10, I will wait for your review then.