Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick545i View Post
Eddie,
Post what happens on your install. Also, do you currently have a CD changer?
I'll post what happens on my install. Assuming I can pick this thing up tomorrow, I'll give it a go tomorrow afternoon. Per the DIY instructions, he had a 12/05 build on his M5 and thinks his software was updated when his steering angle sensor was replaced. I have a 2/06 build date and my steering angle sensor was replaced about a month ago, so hopefully my software will be OK too.

I don't have a CD changer. Didn't get one cuz I was planning on getting an integrated iPod solution when one was available from someone. Didn't think I would be waiting this long though. Don't know if this is worth noting, but I have the nav system.
Before that: 1988 528e 6 speed manual

Yep, I LUV the 5 Series!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb3 View Post
I'll post what happens on my install. Assuming I can pick this thing up tomorrow, I'll give it a go tomorrow afternoon. Per the DIY instructions, he had a 12/05 build on his M5 and thinks his software was updated when his steering angle sensor was replaced. I have a 2/06 build date and my steering angle sensor was replaced about a month ago, so hopefully my software will be OK too.

I don't have a CD changer. Didn't get one cuz I was planning on getting an integrated iPod solution when one was available from someone. Didn't think I would be waiting this long though. Don't know if this is worth noting, but I have the nav system.
Well, Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and have BMW do the install. Here's what I found and why I don't think I can do this.

First off, this morning I suddenly realized that I will probably need the software coded by BMW because, since I don't have a CD changer, it will need to be activated at a minimum. In iDrive, the CD changer is greyed out and you can't go there.

So on my way down from LA this morning, I visited no less than three different BMW dealers in person to see if I got the same story from all three. They all said because of no CD changer, I would need the software coded. Of the two I asked, both said the install needs to be done before they can code it. Quoted me two hours of labor charge to do it. So I bought the kit from one of the dealers and went home to do the install. I also made an appointment to go back tomorrow to have them do the coding.

Before doing the install, I went back to these forums and found someone with an '07 550 with no CD changer that had slightly different instructions than the guy with the '06 M5 with a CD changer that I originally found. Both instructions are attached here. The instructs with no CD changer are slightly different as far as where the wires come from, etc. He also states once done that he then has to go to BMW to get his software coded which supports my theory stated earlier.

But once I got into the wiring, it didn't resemble either of these instructions. I have no X18180 connector, no green optical wires, etc. There is a cable that comes out from the back and goes right back into the same area. When I look with a mirror and feel around, both ends of this cable seem to split off into individual wires and not to a connector of any kind. So WTF?

Here's my guess. The BMW install instructions, also attached here, state the following: "These installation instructions are only valid for cars with SA 672 (CD changer)
or SA 694 (CD changer preparation)."
I don't think I have either. The 550 instructs with no CD changer I believe has this CD changer prep, probably because he has the Logic 7 system. But I don't have Logic 7 which maybe means no CD changer prep. Again, just a guess.

Bottom line is my wiring is nothing like either of these instructs, so I gotta punt. So when I go in tomorrow, I'll have them install the unit in addition to coding the software. Once all is done, I'll let everyone know what I find out, other things I've already found out and what this all ends up costing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iPod BMW install.pdf (234.2 KB, 1100 views)
File Type: pdf iPod DIY Install M5 06.pdf (24.4 KB, 697 views)
File Type: pdf iPod DIY Install 550 07.pdf (22.4 KB, 697 views)

Yep, I LUV the 5 Series!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i Aero Kit
Quote:
Well, Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and have BMW do the install. Here's what I found and why I don't think I can do this.

First off, this morning I suddenly realized that I will probably need the software coded by BMW because, since I don't have a CD changer, it will need to be activated at a minimum. In iDrive, the CD changer is greyed out and you can't go there.

So on my way down from LA this morning, I visited no less than three different BMW dealers in person to see if I got the same story from all three. They all said because of no CD changer, I would need the software coded. Of the two I asked, both said the install needs to be done before they can code it. Quoted me two hours of labor charge to do it. So I bought the kit from one of the dealers and went home to do the install. I also made an appointment to go back tomorrow to have them do the coding.

Before doing the install, I went back to these forums and found someone with an '07 550 with no CD changer that had slightly different instructions than the guy with the '06 M5 with a CD changer that I originally found. Both instructions are attached here. The instructs with no CD changer are slightly different as far as where the wires come from, etc. He also states once done that he then has to go to BMW to get his software coded which supports my theory stated earlier.

But once I got into the wiring, it didn't resemble either of these instructions. I have no X18180 connector, no green optical wires, etc. There is a cable that comes out from the back and goes right back into the same area. When I look with a mirror and feel around, both ends of this cable seem to split off into individual wires and not to a connector of any kind. So WTF?

Here's my guess. The BMW install instructions, also attached here, state the following: "These installation instructions are only valid for cars with SA 672 (CD changer)
I don't think I have either. The 550 instructs with no CD changer I believe has this CD changer prep, probably because he has the Logic 7 system. But I don't have Logic 7 which maybe means no CD changer prep. Again, just a guess.

Bottom line is my wiring is nothing like either of these instructs, so I gotta punt. So when I go in tomorrow, I'll have them install the unit in addition to coding the software. Once all is done, I'll let everyone know what I find out, other things I've already found out and what this all ends up costing.

Eddie, I sent you a message to give you some help on this install.

Monaco Blue / Gray Interior / Anthracite Maple Wood / Anthracite Headliner ///M Aero Pkg

Steptronic /Cold Weather Package / Sport Package / Logic 7 / Active Steering / Navigation System / Sirius Radio / Night Vision / Heated Rear Seats / Heads Up Display /

V3 snap in/M5 spoiler/IPOD interface/Valentine One Hard Wire
Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I don't think its based on the overal software update but based upon a minor software update that programs the car to see the 6CD changer circuit. Since he had the 6 CD his was already programmed. My car was a 4/06 build and the software was not included in my car. I was quoted $110 to add the software but I think they will reduce that price since my car was delivered in June and my salesman is working with me on the price.

Monaco Blue / Gray Interior / Anthracite Maple Wood / Anthracite Headliner ///M Aero Pkg

Steptronic /Cold Weather Package / Sport Package / Logic 7 / Active Steering / Navigation System / Sirius Radio / Night Vision / Heated Rear Seats / Heads Up Display /

Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks Stream for posting this. It actually looks like it's easy enough for me to install. But one thing that's confusing me is in a previous post of yours, you talk about the install taking .75 hours, but coding can take up to 5 hours. The BMW install instructions also state you need to do coding. But in the DIY instructions you posted, he didn't do coding and it worked fine.

So is coding necessary or just some kind of precautionary step that's not actually required? I'd love to do this myself, but don't want to find out once it's too late that coding is necessary. Thanks.
I think there is confusion on Coding the entre software version, versus retro fit coding which is simply a 30 minute add on software for cars that didnt originally have the 6 CD changer.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veight View Post
I think there is confusion on Coding the entre software version, versus retro fit coding which is simply a 30 minute add on software for cars that didnt originally have the 6 CD changer.
Agreed--the only caveat is that for some retrofitting, they need to update your Progman, depending on the version on your car. Not sure if this applies to the iPod interface or not (it did on my car for MP3 playback retrofit).
Old 08-31-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
Agreed--the only caveat is that for some retrofitting, they need to update your Progman, depending on the version on your car. Not sure if this applies to the iPod interface or not (it did on my car for MP3 playback retrofit).
Yep its the progman that needs updating for the ipod update.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 PM

Do you still have the glove box out? I initially saw no wires that looked right either, but upon further analysis they were right in front of my eyes. The plastic fitting, what the instructions call the X-18180 is clipped to a pre wire holder near the top of the area you are looking at. The optical wires are in a black loop and need the black tape removed. I assume that you have the same prewire 6 cd as I.

Quote:

Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Today I took the car to BMW and they did the install. Good news is it's all in and working. Bad news is I had to pay for it. But I wish I had waited and got more help from Veight (several postings above) because it looks like he had the same wiring scheme as I did and he figured it out. Looks like my assumption of no CD changer prep was wrong and I did have it - just didn't know it.

They charged me total labor of 3.5 hours to do it. 2 was for the recode and 1.5 was for the physical install. Three different dealers quoted me 2 hours for the recode, although it sounds like some here found it for less. I was told by 2 of the 3 dealers that they don't just add the module anymore but now "have to" upgrade everything to the latest and greatest. Not sure if that's fact, but that's what I was told. The adapter kit itself was $270 plus tax with the BMWCCA discount. For those of you who aren't sure if your car/build, etc. is compatible with this thing, they can immediately tell you yea or nay based on the last 6 digits of your VIN.

So I probably spent a couple hundred more than I should have if I would have figured out the install, but I'm glad it's finally in and done. Sounds great! Tomorrow I will play with it and get it all figured out!

Yep, I LUV the 5 Series!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Well I went in last Saturday, the 2nd, for my 9 am appt to get my car progman updated for th ipod interface. It took 3 hours and it did update other software besides the IPOD (6 CD changer). But the interface works great. It takes a bout 2 minutes to pull all my music in, but once its up it sounds great. My dealer only charged me $ 51 to do this cause I went thru my salesman first and I just bought the car in June.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Did you have the same problem with the 250 artist limit?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Kobe, Kobe, Kobe!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veight View Post
Well I went in last Saturday, the 2nd, for my 9 am appt to get my car progman updated for th ipod interface. It took 3 hours and it did update other software besides the IPOD (6 CD changer). But the interface works great. It takes a bout 2 minutes to pull all my music in, but once its up it sounds great. My dealer only charged me $ 51 to do this cause I went thru my salesman first and I just bought the car in June.

Hi all - new to the forums (and the 5 series). I just picked up my MY07 530i a week ago, Sport, Premium, Nav, Heated Seats. NO CD Changer. I just ordered the iPod retro kit and plan on doing the install myself (thanks to all the handy DIYs on this site!)

Will I need the software update, or is it possible I have the most current Progman on my car? The car came straight from the port to me (arrived at port in mid August, delivered to me August 30) and my dealer said I did not need the steering wheel sensor replacement as BMW was making the fixes on the later delivery cars before they arrived at the dealership.

Is my guy telling me the truth (re my sensor) and therefore I have the current software, or will I have to pay for the update?

Thanks in advance, and I'm enjoying these forums!

-Eddie
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerholic View Post
Hi all - new to the forums (and the 5 series). I just picked up my MY07 530i a week ago, Sport, Premium, Nav, Heated Seats. NO CD Changer. I just ordered the iPod retro kit and plan on doing the install myself (thanks to all the handy DIYs on this site!)

Will I need the software update, or is it possible I have the most current Progman on my car? The car came straight from the port to me (arrived at port in mid August, delivered to me August 30) and my dealer said I did not need the steering wheel sensor replacement as BMW was making the fixes on the later delivery cars before they arrived at the dealership.

Is my guy telling me the truth (re my sensor) and therefore I have the current software, or will I have to pay for the update?

Thanks in advance, and I'm enjoying these forums!

-Eddie
You will not need a software update, however you will need to get the iPod kit activated after installation. We have the kits in stock:

iPod Integration Kit for e60 5-series
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=394

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Kobe, Kobe, Kobe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
You will not need a software update, however you will need to get the iPod kit activated after installation. We have the kits in stock:

iPod Integration Kit for e60 5-series
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=394
Thanks!

Do you know if this will be the nominal $50ish fee or the $100-$200 some people have quoted their dealer as charging? I'm going to call my salesman in any even to see if I can get a discount...
Old 09-08-2006, 09:26 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Thanks!

Do you know if this will be the nominal $50ish fee or the $100-$200 some people have quoted their dealer as charging? I'm going to call my salesman in any even to see if I can get a discount...
This depends on your dealer, if the vehicle is going in for service - most times it is included as a courtesy. Talk it over with your Service Advisor first to verify.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525
which adapter, how much?

I have a 2007 525 and have been trying to get the ipod adapter shown on the website.
According to dealer, the "new" ipod adapter is available, but will only work using steering wheel buttons, not idrive ?? until software update not yet available. Also, they quoted something like $700 which seems crazy -- even for bmw. The website quotes $149 +an hour of labor; is this the same adapter that is shown on the ipodyourbmw.com site?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_t View Post
I have a 2007 525 and have been trying to get the ipod adapter shown on the website.
According to dealer, the "new" ipod adapter is available, but will only work using steering wheel buttons, not idrive ?? until software update not yet available. Also, they quoted something like $700 which seems crazy -- even for bmw. The website quotes $149 +an hour of labor; is this the same adapter that is shown on the ipodyourbmw.com site?
You should find another dealer--yours is pretty clueless, and is trying to rip you off.

The part is ~$300 list (depending if you need the harness or not), most dealers give at least 10% BMWCCA discount, and the BMW install instructions quote 0.75 hours labor.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:55 PM

Are they correct about not being able to use the idrive control with the current software? I've had the feeling that the dealer doesn't know anything about this. How can I find out the correct part number so I don't get stuck with the wrong thing?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_t View Post
Are they correct about not being able to use the idrive control with the current software? I've had the feeling that the dealer doesn't know anything about this. How can I find out the correct part number so I don't get stuck with the wrong thing?
Since you have a 2007 car, the iPod interface will either work without coding (if you have a CD changer installed) or it will not work at all--I don't think there's a scenario where it will work with only the steering wheel buttons, but not iDrive.
See post #40 for iPod interface info.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Kobe, Kobe, Kobe!

Quote:
Since you have a 2007 car, the iPod interface will either work without coding (if you have a CD changer installed) or it will not work at all--I don't think there's a scenario where it will work with only the steering wheel buttons, but not iDrive.
See post #40 for iPod interface info.

Ok, now I'm confused: I have an 07 530 with CD Changer PREP not the actual changer. Everything I had read on this site (I think) before this post led me to believe that with a simple triggering of the CD Changer controls via software my iPod adapter would work.

Is this not the case, or did I miss something in the response? I'm planning a DIY install...

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Ok, now I'm confused: I have an 07 530 with CD Changer PREP not the actual changer. Everything I had read on this site (I think) before this post led me to believe that with a simple triggering of the CD Changer controls via software my iPod adapter would work.

Is this not the case, or did I miss something in the response? I'm planning a DIY install...

Thanks in advance.
You're correct - the dealer trip is for activation of the iPod or CD Changer.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: F10 MSport
Took my new car in for installation of the ipod/MOST interface kit today and the dealer had some problems.

Upgraded Progman to latest verison available to them (22.0.2). Hardwired the new ipod interface. Added it via retrofit, software retrofit printed out that the update was successfull. ipod does not show up on the iDrive Entertainment menu as an option.

Tried again using a 6 CD changer. Worked fine and showed up on iDrive screen and played through the L7 no problem. Plugged the ipod interface in and once again, nothing shows up in iDrive but the ipod lights up with the BMW symbol on the ipod screen.

Production date of the vehicle is one month newer of the cutoff so firmware should not be an issue.

Any other forum members who have had the install who may be able to provide a suggestion?

22 Retired and thoroughly enjoyed Bimmers
Old 09-18-2006, 05:29 PM

how much did the dealer charge for this??
Old 09-18-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I believe what you said is consistent with my comments. Since you don't have a CD changer installed, your dealer needs to code your car.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Kobe, Kobe, Kobe!

Quote:
I believe what you said is consistent with my comments. Since you don't have a CD changer installed, your dealer needs to code your car.

Ahh, got it now... your comment was addressing if the adapter would work w/o coding... makes sense now... now I need to find a dealer in OC/LA that will do the activation for a reasonable $ amount.

Anyone out there had any success with just a simple inexpensive activation in So Cal?