Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Is it possible to locate the ipod in the ceter console rather than the glove (inconvenient) box in an E60??
The location for dealer install is the glove box, but I ran a cable from there to the center arm rest, as described in post #1 of this thread. Here's a post with pix (the pix in post #1 of this thread were hosted on a site that crashed and couldn't recover the pix):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172378
Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
The location for dealer install is the glove box, but I ran a cable from there to the center arm rest, as described in post #1 of this thread. Here's a post with pix (the pix in post #1 of this thread were hosted on a site that crashed and couldn't recover the pix):
I think the poster was talking about the MOST adapter not the AUX line which has several feet of cable. The MOST adapter only has about 1-2 feet of cable so it won't reach to the center console.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: Lamborghini MurciÚlago
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
Ahhh yes, but I thought the pix is referring to the AUX connector, I was referring to the MOST connector (which also charges, and has 2 way data xfer)......or am I just having yet another senior moment
Old 10-30-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Ahhh yes, but I thought the pix is referring to the AUX connector, I was referring to the MOST connector (which also charges, and has 2 way data xfer)......or am I just having yet another senior moment
Oh, sorry.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Hello all--I posted the question about the new ipod connector maxing out at 30 playlists.

Well I got it installed and I seem to have this 30 playlist limit. All the other folders seem to have the 255 limit. Can anyone else test this with their system to confirm, maybe make a bunch of dummy playlists?

Please post with results. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:37 AM

OK, so let me ask in a different way; Is there a way of extending the iPod cable on the BMW MOST connector so that the iPod can be located in the arm rest console.

To access the iPod in the glove box is most inconvenient UNLESS you can pause and select all of the iPod functions from the iDrive.......wait a minute, maybe I have just answered my own post.....why would I need to have the iPod next to me like I do with the AUX connector, IF the iDrive does all the functions.....hmmmm, is that true?
2010 4Runner TR
08 Honda Element 4WD
2013 VW Passat tdi

Last edited by simplemind; 10-31-2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
OK, so let me ask in a different way; Is there a way of extending the iPod cable on the BMW MOST connector so that the iPod can be located in the arm rest console.

To access the iPod in the glove box is most inconvenient UNLESS you can pause and select all of the iPod functions from the iDrive.......wait a minute, maybe I have just answered my own post.....why would I need to have the iPod next to me like I do with the AUX connector, IF the iDrive does all the functions.....hmmmm, is that true?
When the iPod is connected to the BMW iPod interface, it can only be controlled via iDrive.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2006 750i
Quote:

I'm sure that it is possible given that the distance added should not cause an impedence problem (I don't know the IEEE standard but I suspect it's around 15ft) However you have answered your own question and that is you don't need to access the actual iPod physically because you control all of it's functions through the iDrive. On the other hand (I have a 550i 2007) there is an AUX jack on the back of the console that you could plug an iPod into and in that case you would need to access the iPod directly because it's only outputting the audio signal. The only thing you can control with the car (in the case of the AUX) is the volume.

George M. Perry
Coral Springs, FL
Life is like being a member of a sled dog team.
If you ain't the lead dog the view don't change very much.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
I restored the pics to this thread.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
iPod Integration Kit Observations

I took delivery of a new 2007 530i last week and wanted to share my impressions of the dealer-installed BMW iPod Integration Kit:

Pros:
- Easy to control iPod via iDrive interface
- Simple connection via connector in glove box
- Excellent sound over Logic 7 system

Cons:
- CD5 default perpetually repeats playback of a single podcast, rather than play each podcast one time and then move to the next
- CD1 defaults to main iPod directory (containing all music and podcasts in the iPod library), rather than to a music-only playlist, and will not automatically return to the last playlist used

Is there any way to overcome the two drawbacks listed above, or do we just have to wait until the next software update? In addition, is there any way to shut off the Weather Band so that the radio skips over this audio output when scrolling from AM radio to SAT radio?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ┼gent99 View Post
I restored the pics to this thread.
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmertz View Post
I took delivery of a new 2007 530i last week and wanted to share my impressions of the dealer-installed BMW iPod Integration Kit:

Pros:

Cons:
- CD5 default perpetually repeats playback of a single podcast, rather than play each podcast one time and then move to the next
- CD1 defaults to main iPod directory (containing all music and podcasts in the iPod library), rather than to a music-only playlist, and will not automatically return to the last playlist used

Is there any way to overcome the two drawbacks listed above, or do we just have to wait until the next software update? In addition, is there any way to shut off the Weather Band so that the radio skips over this audio output when scrolling from AM radio to SAT radio?

It would really be helpful if we understood how the iDrive looked at the iPod. Sounds like the is much work yet to be done by the iDrive architects.
2010 4Runner TR
08 Honda Element 4WD
2013 VW Passat tdi
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 PM

I've also experienced the same issues that bbmertz describes.

One thing I did figure out. You can scroll faster by twisting the iDrive wheel back and forth. It's hard to describe, but instead of just holding it steady, a racheting motion seems to speed up the scrolling.

With respect to podcasts, I tend to make playlists out of the short ones (hence my need for more than the usual number of playlists).

Frankly, I think access via playlist is the only viable way to play the ipod through the interface. The rest of it requires more manipulation, which may be fine on the ipod itself (since you aren't driving!) but can be a bit tedious via iDrive.

Still interested in hearing if anyone can confirm the 30 playlist limit.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmertz View Post

Pros:

Cons:

what date did your dealer install the ipod retrofit? the current progman version 23.02.01 will not allow an ipod to be retrofitted at this time.(software issue)
Old 11-18-2006, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545
New Ipod Hardware and Progman Available!

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ipod integration is now available for all e60 build dates starting with 03/03. Just had my '05 545 (09/04 build date) Ipod kit recoded after a DIY install. Works like a champ! $299 for the part, DIY install, and free recode from the dealer.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Does your 9/04 built e60 have navigation? My '05 e60 is production 4/05 w/navigation and was retrofitted with MP3 capability back in Aug According to the bulletin from a few months back, only E60s without navi from 3/05 and E60s w/navi from 9/05 will work with newly released interface part 65 11 0 403 651.

I've been waiting for either: 1)confirmation that it would work in my car before buying at-risk, or 2) the new part number for the pre 9/05 navi equipped e60.

2005 545i: Orient Blue/Beige, 6spd, Sport, Navi, CWP, PremSound, PDC, Active-steering, Comfort seats, Rear shades, Rear heated and folding seats and Satellite Radio.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:34 AM

Mein Auto: 530xi
reanem idrive Cd menu to have "ipod" instead

Is it possible to rename the CD text in hte Idrive menu system to reflect that of IPOD?

Also how muhc is the dealer charging for the the kit and install? Thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Quote:

Provided they make a Female/Male iPod extension cable....
With the glove box out, you would route the extension cable from the glovebox (follow how Stream did it with his Aux input) to the glove box. Not sure if anyone makes that cable however.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750li
Hello everyone. I am new here.

I have a 2006 750li w/ Nav/Sat/CD Changer/Rear Seat Ent.

I realize that this is the 5 series forum, however this appears to be the only thread w/ extensive discussion re: the ipod integration. If I should be posting elsewhere, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope someone here can answer some of my questions:

1. In my vehicle, I can play MP3 CD's in the changer, but not the in-dash player. Is there an update available that can change this? If so, is it necessary for the ipod integration to work?

2. I read earlier in this thread that if you have Rear Seat Ent., that the install may not be possible. Can anyone confirm this?

3. In the 5 series, where is the DVD unit for the GPS located? For the 7 it is in the trunk.

4. Would the 5 series DIY instructions be adequate for a 7 series as well?

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:56 AM
ggcbmwcca.org Member

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
#1 With this setup the iPod cannot be used to control anything so you would not gain anything by the extention.

#2 The most connection is a fibre optic cable and the extention thereof would make no sense.

#3 The only cable the you might extend is the cable that attaches to the bottom of the iPod but again it would serve no purpose to have the extention because when the ipod interface is being used the iPod is disabled so you cant control it anyway. All control is done from the steering wheel or the CD controls on the dash.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut9002 View Post
Does your 9/04 built e60 have navigation? My '05 e60 is production 4/05 w/navigation and was retrofitted with MP3 capability back in Aug According to the bulletin from a few months back, only E60s without navi from 3/05 and E60s w/navi from 9/05 will work with newly released interface part 65 11 0 403 651.

I've been waiting for either: 1)confirmation that it would work in my car before buying at-risk, or 2) the new part number for the pre 9/05 navi equipped e60.

2005 545i: Orient Blue/Beige, 6spd, Sport, Navi, CWP, PremSound, PDC, Active-steering, Comfort seats, Rear shades, Rear heated and folding seats and Satellite Radio.
Yep I have nav. The part number for my kit is 65 11 0 403 651. Looks like the same part. The difference must be in the CIP. According to my paperwork, my update was CIP 23.02. FWIW I still do not have MP3 playback capability, but the IPOD works fine.

Last edited by D-Nice; 12-03-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut9002 View Post

If you can play MP3's, you can have the iPOD. Period. If you already have a CD changer to remove, it is even easier and no dealer visit is required. Plug and Play.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
Downgrade iPod?

I purchased a brand new 80G iPod to go with my brand new iPod adapter.... The iPod came with 1.2 software on it, but as others have pointed out here, 1.2 software doesn't work very well with the BMW integration (which really ticks me off, but that's another thread somewhere, isn't it?). I can't find a good source to answer:

1) Can the 80G iPod work on 1.1.2 software?
2) Is there a reliable, Apple-sanctioned way of downgrading the device?

I've only found sketchy hacks that look like they've been revised over and over because unsuspecting users have tried them and have ended up erasing or destroying their iPods in the process....

I also just heard of a 1.2.1 release--does any one know if that might solve the "random playback" problem that 1.2 created (i.e., it doesn't play randomly any more in the car!!)?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
Well, I can answer my own question about the 1.2.1 bug fix release--it does NOT fix the random shuffle problem.

Man, that pisses me off, and I don't know who to complain to -- BMW? Apple? Who cares more about fixing the problem?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that Ipod integration is now available for all e60 build dates starting with 03/03. Just had my '05 545 (09/04 build date) Ipod kit recoded after a DIY install. Works like a champ! $299 for the part, DIY install, and free recode from the dealer.
Hmm I asked my dealer whether the retrofit software already avail for e60 2004 without nav, they said it has not come out yet. So prob have to ask diff dealer? Can someone give me the version number of the software?