Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered lunatic.

Mein Auto: M-Sport twins.
Modular Monster iCharger

I took Stream's write-up of installing the iCharger one step further. Because we are planning to add either an X3 or an X5, I didn't want to dismantle the iCharger kit and bind it to just one vehicle. The fact that the X5 has a 12V outlet and an Aux Input in the armrest gave me an idea.

First I started by taking out that resistor segment of my aux-input harness. Since I had already installed my kit prior to Stream posting the benefit of removing that portion, I had three options: Disconnect the harness by dismantling the dash (again) and taking the cable to my desk for some soldering; hook up my power converter for some soldering in-the-field; use scotchlock connectors and just crimp the bugger.

Needless to say, I took option three. IMHO, the sound is just as clear as if I had used soldering tin instead of these insulated connectors. Really REALLY handy.

Segment dissected

Segment Close up

Scotchlock connectors attached

And wrapped in electrical tape (not really necessary)

On to the next part. I pretty much mimicked the X5 setup by using BMW part # 82 11 0 004 073. It's the Auxilary power adapter that normally converts the glove-box flashlight socket into another cigarette lighter plug. I routed the monster stereo cable underneath the side of the armest so the wire is completely hidden and pulled it out the backside where the rear 12V outlets are. Very similar to what Stream did here except a "little" neater (No offense Stream )

Next, at the lower level of the armrest, I used wire cutters to snip out the vent housing at the rear and pulled the monster cable through that into the compartment. After that was in place, I snipped off the glove-box side of the BMW kit part and fed that wire through the armrest side back to where the vents are. Looks something like this when the iCharger is plugged in to it.

And like this from the backside

Now, the audio is already plugged in up front to the Aux-Input, so that part is done. Now to feed power to the adapter kit. Using a continuity tester, I figured out that the socket Tip is a White wire and the socket side is a Black wire. With that in mind, I popped the existing connectors off of the rear-seat lighter housings and wiggled the adapter wires onto the taps and re-capped the source.

I would have preferred to use a traditional T-tap for the two power leads on the adapter, but the ones I have on hand are too small in gauge to wrap around the existing lead wires. Either way, the wires are in tight and a dry run shows the iPod (skinned in blue) turns on and off with the car.

After I add in a 90* adapter for the line-out on the iCharger, the entire kit will be completely modular so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle.

BTW, if anyone wants more detailed pictures, reply before tomorrow morning. "Most" of the car is still in pieces, but once everything is reassembled, you're going to have to persuade me to get those rear vents off again.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
iPod integration kit not available (at least in Canada) for 530i built 9/04. Emailed BMW Canada and got this reply "Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to release an iPod intergration kit for your specific vehicle". Only available for production dates after 9/05 (?). I'd be interested if anyone really has had luck getting integration kit for older 5 series - part #??

Cynic
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against, any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual."

Steinbeck 1952

Last edited by mnicolle; 12-25-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 550
iPod Hidden Costs

I just installed the Most based Ipod System in my 07 550i (part number 65 11 0 403 651) from Barvarian Motorwork this is the system build by Alpine that has all the BMW installation instructions etc. Well long story short the cost was the part plus the retro fee (activation) Partwas $270 and the software install was $245 and a coule of days in the shop so the total cost was $515. Now maybe if you buy the CD changer it will work without the s/w upgrade but my SA say’s don’t count on it. So just figure the retrofit s/w upgrade cost into the cost of doing business.

2007 550i Sport
Titanium Grey / Black Nasca Leather / Anthracite Maple Trim

/ Ten way adjustable Comfort Seats / Heated Front Seats / Rear Side Airbag / Rear and Rear-Side Window Shade / Power shade / Navigation / Comfort Access / Logic 7 Premium Sound / Aux In / iPod Most interface / Dinan Exhaust

ED Ordered: September 15, 2006
ED Pickup: October 16, 2006
Dropped At Harms Munich: October 27, 2006
Redelivered: December 22, 2006
Old 12-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcain32055 View Post
I just installed the Most based Ipod System in my 07 550i (part number 65 11 0 403 651) from Barvarian Motorwork this is the system build by Alpine that has all the BMW installation instructions etc. Well long story short the cost was the part plus the retro fee (activation) Partwas $270 and the software install was $245 and a coule of days in the shop so the total cost was $515. Now maybe if you buy the CD changer it will work without the s/w upgrade but my SA say’s don’t count on it. So just figure the retrofit s/w upgrade cost into the cost of doing business.
Per BMW (it is mentioned in the instructions) the recoding (software update) is covered under the warranty. You should NOT have been charged for that.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: Lamborghini Murciélago
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Per BMW (it is mentioned in the instructions) the recoding (software update) is covered under the warranty. You should NOT have been charged for that.
That is interesting indeed! I wonder if they (BMW) would require the installation be carried out by the service department, and bury the cost of the progman update in what they would charge for the install?

Could you post or scan what the instruction sheet says?

Tks,
SM
Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
That is interesting indeed! I wonder if they (BMW) would require the installation be carried out by the service department, and bury the cost of the progman update in what they would charge for the install?

Could you post or scan what the instruction sheet says?

Tks,
SM

Search is your friend. The install instructions are in post 56 of this thread...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=56
Old 12-28-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
On to the next part. I pretty much mimicked the X5 setup by using BMW part # 82 11 0 004 073. It's the Auxilary power adapter that normally converts the glove-box flashlight socket into another cigarette lighter plug. I routed the monster stereo cable underneath the side of the armest so the wire is completely hidden and pulled it out the backside where the rear 12V outlets are. Very similar to what Stream did here except a "little" neater (No offense Stream )
Nice DIY. And no offense taken.

Not sure what was "un-neat" about my install, though. The pic you linked to above ("here") I intentionally took with the carpeted trim piece removed, to show how the wire runs:

With the trim piece installed it looks like this (which is the pic just above the one you linked to)--looks pretty neat to me:
Old 12-30-2006, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i (Very Soon)
Just picked up my car earlier this week and instantly fell in love with the iPod interface that the dealer installed. I love the fact that my iPod is totally integrated. Who needs Sat radio when you have all the tunes you want to hear available on your iPod??

In spite of my neverending love, I am having some issues with the iDrive controller. At the rate I'm going, I'll never listen to an artist past the "B"s! I figure that I'll need to create playlists for a few key artists, but for those times when I must venture into the "G"s, the "M"s, or heaven forbid...the "T"s, does anyone have ANY tips on getting to the end of the alphabet without spraining your wrist and/or breaking the iPod controller? Whenever I twist it all the way, I can't help but to think I'm on the verge of breaking the darned thing. Help!?!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I should be getting my car this week and I have spent the past couple weeks updating my Ipod for the car.

I really do not want to spend the extra $$$ to have BMW install the Ipod kit in my car and I am not nearly handy enough to install the kit which has been mentioned in this thread.

Is there a big difference between the Aux input when listening to the Ipod that I can just easily do without any work to the factory installed or the kits which have been customized by other posters?

Thank you for any input.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindzcar View Post
I should be getting my car this week and I have spent the past couple weeks updating my Ipod for the car.

I really do not want to spend the extra $$$ to have BMW install the Ipod kit in my car and I am not nearly handy enough to install the kit which has been mentioned in this thread.

Is there a big difference between the Aux input when listening to the Ipod that I can just easily do without any work to the factory installed or the kits which have been customized by other posters?

Thank you for any input.
Obviously the big differences between the aux input and the BMW iPod interface is the later allows you to control the iPod via iDrive, charges it, and turns it on/off. I use the aux input and the sound quality is great, and although I haven't heard an iPod through the interface kit, I can't imagine it sounding noticeably better. With my set up, the iPod gets charged and turns off when I turn off the car, but you need to manually turn it on after you start the car (I use the remote for that).

I was very excited to get the iPod interface, but I've decided to pass because of its limitations. Perhaps down the road they'll address the shortcomings and I'll reconsider. With the current implementation, it seems the only really workable approach is to set up several play lists, but you can also do that using the aux input, and still be able to navigate using the iPod scroll wheel.

I just burn 8GB of MP3s on double layer DVDs and use the dash DVD drive. With 3 DVDs, I've got 24GB of music easily accessible.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
How many speakers does your ipod drive? I plugged-in a cheap-o mp3 player that I received with my Bose headphones and it only drives two rear speakers. So am I correct to assume that even the best ipods, when connected through the aux input will only play through 2 speakers?? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSP.420.550i View Post
How many speakers does your ipod drive? I plugged-in a cheap-o mp3 player that I received with my Bose headphones and it only drives two rear speakers. So am I correct to assume that even the best ipods, when connected through the aux input will only play through 2 speakers?? Thanks in advance.
It drives all 13 speakers in my car. Sounds like your MP3 player is a cheap-o!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a cheap POS MP3 player. But just to be clear, you're simply plugging your MP3 with a single cord into your AUX jack (mine is on the back of the center console). If you're getting sound out of all 13 speakers, may I ask what MP3 player you are using? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xit
Make sure that you're using a stereo mini cable (vs. a mono one). you can tell them apart by the two [usually black] insulation bands on the mini plug as opposed to one insulation ring on the mono cable. the quality of the input player should have no bearing on how may speakers are utilized during playback.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Riisor,

I went to the Apple Ipod store and saw the Belkin Retractable Mini Stereo Cable. For someone who just wants to plug into the Aux in the rear port, is this the best cable I can get for sound quality?

I am really on the fence about having BMW just do the instal or just do the cable and port myself. If the sound is the same, I would rather just use the cable myself and not have to pay the extra money for a leased car.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 AM

Kindzcar,
The Belkin should be fine. I bought a male-to-male connector at Ratshack for $3, and it works just fine.
Also, I'm with you about spending the bucks for a 2yr lease, 3yr is borderline for me. However, if you can view the iPod info on the dash screen, that is a big plus for the M.O.S.T. system.

Stream, et. al.
Re: iPod driving speakers......it doesn't!
It only drives the power amplifier section of the stereo. (It may also go thru the pre-amp, not sure)! However, I have noticed that when using the AUX connector in my 3er, the connector itself can effect sound if the cable/plug is under tension causing it to lose contact internal to the connector (cheepie connector), and it will sound awful. Just make sure the plug is making good contact with the connector.

NOW EVERYONE
What is the concensus re: the best format for setting up the iPod playlists/folders for use with the MOST system?

Thanks,
SM
Old 01-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Stream, et. al.
Re: iPod driving speakers......it doesn't!
It only drives the power amplifier section of the stereo. (It may also go thru the pre-amp, not sure)!
Yes--I realize that the car's sound system is what drives the speakers--I was just answering his question in the same form as asked!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSP.420.550i View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a cheap POS MP3 player. But just to be clear, you're simply plugging your MP3 with a single cord into your AUX jack (mine is on the back of the center console). If you're getting sound out of all 13 speakers, may I ask what MP3 player you are using? Thanks!
Yes--see the first post of this thread for my install. I have a Monster mini stereo cable connecting the iPod to the aux input.

Regarding what type of cable, be sure to get a shielded cable, to avoid any interference from the car's electrical system.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback! It is most appreciated! I'm 3 months in on a 3 year lease and while I love the car, I'm not all that interested in investing any further into the stereo system... glad to hear the aux jack works well--sounds like I need a better cord or possible a better MP3 player.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 911 PDK/Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindzcar View Post

Thank you for any input.
There is some difference, most noticeable to me when listening to classical music while the iPod was on the charger as some engine whine would get through (I had a cheap charger and later got a Monster - nicer setup, but still a noise problem). Unplugging the charger would correct the problem. This was with it in the cigarette lighter plug - not sure if other locations (glove box adapter, rear of console, etc) perform better.

So getting the power to the player from the glove box adapter is cleaner - and the iPod will sound as good as the CD player it replaces if it is loaded with comparable quality audio files.

If you don't listen to classical piano music with huge dynamic range or similarly demanding recordings, it might not be so noticeable. That or don't charge the iPod while listening to music like that.

The interface through iDrive could be better though. As mentioned above, finding your favorite track or artist way on down the alphabet can be a chore - I usually just go with Random All and don't worry about it.

It would be nicer if the selection menu worked more like the BlueTooth phonebook with alphabetical selection. Maybe one day it gets better, but I still think it is pretty decent and after spending loads on the car (and $350 on an iPod!), that little bit extra didn't seem like a bid deal.

2009 911 PDK / Sport Chrono
Black / Sand

Nav/XM/Bose/Vent Seats/...
Purchased: May 30, 2009

2007 550i Sport SMG
Jet Black / Black Nasca Leather / Anthracite Maple Trim / Anthracite Head Liner

All Options
Ordered: April 10 2006
Leased: June 10 2006
Returned: May 30, 2009
Old 01-04-2007, 07:02 AM

Playlist set-up for the M.O.S.T. Adapter?

Maybe this got lost in my last post, but I was interested in knowing what those of you, who use the iPod adapter, have found to be the best way to set up your iPod Playlists to overcome (or manage) the 255 barrier.

Also, if you use smartlists with more than 255 songs, what occurs when it tries to go past 255, or is it that you just can't see past 255?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 AM

Flashlight socket adapter?

I can't seem to find the adapter that plugs into the flashlight socket in the glove box.

I have used my flashight once in 3 years, so I can do whithout it just fine!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 911 PDK/Sport
Quote:
I can't seem to find the adapter that plugs into the flashlight socket in the glove box.

Well you have to buy it - Auxiliary Power Adapter, part no: 82 11 0 004 073

Unless you mean you already did and then lost it

2009 911 PDK / Sport Chrono
Black / Sand

Nav/XM/Bose/Vent Seats/...
Purchased: May 30, 2009

2007 550i Sport SMG
Jet Black / Black Nasca Leather / Anthracite Maple Trim / Anthracite Head Liner

All Options
Ordered: April 10 2006
Leased: June 10 2006
Returned: May 30, 2009
Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xit
Quote:
have found to be the best way to set up your iPod Playlists to overcome (or manage) the 255 barrier.

Since I dont yet have the iPod idrive interface but am about to have the work done in the next week or so can you please clarify the 255 barrier. Are you implying that the interface will only support 255 songs or is it 255 playlists or any combination.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Registered lunatic.

Mein Auto: M-Sport twins.
Quote:

If you're referring to my write-up, I didn't takeover the flashlight plug in the glovebox, i just used the adapter for the glovebox light to hardwire in another 12V cig outlet for the center armrest. That way, coupled with Stream's write-up on the iCharger, I can plug in the iPod and iCharger and go, or take the iCharger out to another car since it isn't hardwired to the car.

Prior to slicing up the adapter I wanted to make sure it would actually work so I plugged it into the flashlight socket and connected the iCharger. The iCharger turned on and started charging my iPod --- while the car was off. It seems to be that the flashlight socket is an 'always on' 12V plug, so I wouldn't recommend using that spot to charge anything long term besides that flashlight - you might come back to a dead battery.

I actually still have the little flashlight in the glovebox. Mine never gets used either because I'd much rather shine my surefire (U2) around when I need to actually see something in the dark.