Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: E36 325i Coupe
electric window problems

my driver's door window seems to have developed problem. To get the window to open or close, you have to push the button in short bursts. The window will then move an inch or so at a time.

I have checked the switch and that is fine.

Any other thoughts?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Classic case of comfort relay failing if you have one. If you don't then I hate to say this but it would be most likely the window motor is toast. what year E36 do you have? It makes a big difference as the 92-93 models are different than the 94 on models. Your symptoms mimic my motor failing on a 93 318 coupe I owned. It was way more expensive than the 94 on models because the controller is built into the 92-93's. If are lucky and it is not a 92-93 you most likely have a failing comfort relay which in US cars sits behind the instrument panel and is a blue relay...
Old 02-28-2010, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: E36 325i Coupe
thanks for the info,unfortunately its a 92 model and you have comfermed my worst fears.i have followed my manual and cant find the relay behind the instrument panel,i didnt know they was built in on the early models,i think you could be rightthanx