Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 09-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Kady-Licious

Send a message via AIM to Ms_Kady
Mein Auto: a blue car
Suspension

What kind of suspension do you have on your car?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Coupe
Stock.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:49 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
TC Kline - LOVE it.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
M3 CSL suspension....love it. It took me over a year to get all the parts since CSL parts are basically impossible. I added the CSL struts, sways, and springs. The car dropped 3/4" in the rear and 1/2" in the front. The ride is slightly rougher but boy what a difference in handling. The turn-in is so much quicker and now it corners like it's on rails. I can't wait to take it to the track now to compare times.

Best of all....it's all OEM parts. Everything fit perfectly and there are no strange noises or rubbing. My dealer did the install (they were the biggest help in obtaining the parts) and they told me I'd still keep my warranty on the suspension since it's all OEM.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 AM
M Mad

I'll believe that they will warranty the suspension (as in the new car warranty, not the parts warranty) when it actually happens.

And how much did it cost you to put the paakge together and on the car.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
TC Kline
Old 09-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Kady-Licious

For those with TC Kline, did you get the full suspension kit and did you do the install yourself or take it to a shop?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:03 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
For those with TC Kline, did you get the full suspension kit and did you do the install yourself or take it to a shop?
Full kit (TCKR Smart Design D/A Coilover System) plus I also have MotorForce camber plates

Installed in my garage

Unless you plan to track your car there is no reason to upgrade to coilovers (unless you like to spend money on things you don't need). The stock suspension on these cars is very good.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Full kit (TCKR Smart Design D/A Coilover System) plus I also have MotorForce camber plates

Installed in my garage

Unless you plan to track your car there is no reason to upgrade to coilovers (unless you like to spend money on things you don't need). The stock suspension on these cars is very good.
Agreed, coilovers are completely unnecessary for street use, and more often than not they're used incorrectly. Not to mention they clank.

Any particular reason you went with the Vorshlag plates instead of TC's?
The only problem I've had with the TCKR plates is the bolt bracket -- the bolts are kinda short if you use the factory strut bar, and the spot welds that hold the bolts in place can break if overtorqued -- but I heard they redesigned them.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
The entire CSL suspension plus the installation came to just under $3K. Not cheap but I wanted to see if I could do it. I was worried at first that the suspension might easily bottom out but I took a 350 mile trip with 4 adults and luggage and there never was a problem. The car did ride considerably lower with 4 people but still well within the range of the suspension. I'm guessing 600 lbs in the car.

I do have the rear diffuser (actual OEM part) from the CSL, but that's about all the CSL parts I wanted (and liked). I wasn't trying to build a CSL, I just wanted a better OEM suspension for the street and track.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
Agreed, coilovers are completely unnecessary for street use, and more often than not they're used incorrectly. Not to mention they clank.

Any particular reason you went with the Vorshlag plates instead of TC's?
The only problem I've had with the TCKR plates is the bolt bracket -- the bolts are kinda short if you use the factory strut bar, and the spot welds that hold the bolts in place can break if overtorqued -- but I heard they redesigned them.
Price, reputation for durability and how I use my car is why I went with the MotorForce plates instead of the TCKline.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Kady-Licious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post

Installed in my garage

Ooh..you go girl!

So for regular street use, you guys recommend just springs?
Old 09-04-2006, 04:09 PM
M Mad

Full setup, Smart Design coil overs with TCK camber plates. With 400 pound springs the car rides better than stock and handles much better than stock. True Win-Win. We drove TCs personal car back to back with our car on the same roads for comparison.

While coil overs are a bit much for the street, the TCK setup with reasonable srping rate choice is actually a smoother ride than stock. But on the track they are AWESOME.

I installed it myself, but then again I am serious enough to have a garage with lift, welding equipment and shoping for a lathe and milling machine.

Big thing is if you do coil overs, you have to corner weigh the car and make sure you do not over lower the car. The BMW front suspension geometry can be lowered to the oint where the camber curve reverses, which is NASTY.

TC Kline gives great after sales support from parts to techincal information/help.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Mein Auto: Vorsteiner 335i
I have yet to hear any complaints from our customers on PSS9's, and they seem to sell very well
JL
Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Mein Auto: BMW Duh
I agree, I have PSS9s on my personal car and absolutely love them!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

We have 10 sets coming in on the 8th, but already presold 2 of them today. Order now

JL
Old 09-05-2006, 01:47 PM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Oregon View Post
The entire CSL suspension plus the installation came to just under $3K. Not cheap but I wanted to see if I could do it. I was worried at first that the suspension might easily bottom out but I took a 350 mile trip with 4 adults and luggage and there never was a problem. The car did ride considerably lower with 4 people but still well within the range of the suspension. I'm guessing 600 lbs in the car.

I do have the rear diffuser (actual OEM part) from the CSL, but that's about all the CSL parts I wanted (and liked). I wasn't trying to build a CSL, I just wanted a better OEM suspension for the street and track.
Hmmmm.......
Old 09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
M Mad

Everyone I know with PSS9s have had problems with the spring rates being too soft. Most have had to convert to H&R or Eibach springs to fix the problems. ALl say the shocks are very good.

Of course, you do lose the ability to seperately tune compression and rebound dampening.

And if you do the spring modification, you will have more in your setup than just buying a GC or TCK setup to start with.

Personally, I would stay away from PSS9s.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Mein Auto: BMW Duh
For a track only car I would completely agree with you. However the PSS9s are designed to be street and track ready which makes them a FANTASTIC solution for the daily driver and track junky. They are easy to adjust (hard to mess up balance of car) and provide a smoother ride over stock while vastly improving the handling characteristics.

With that said, if your car is strictly for the track, you may want to look into a more hardcore setup such as TC Kline, Ground Control and even H&R.

We do, in addition to the Bilsteins, carry the entire line of H&R and Eibach suspension components.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
M Mad

Sorry, but soft springs are soft springs, and the inability to tune compression and rebound separately is the inability to tune them separately.

And my TC Klines are a great street setup, riding better than stock. And if I want a more track oreinted setup, I just swap out the springs in a multitude of rates. With PSS9s yo uhave to make major changes to run other springs.

And the PSS9s are NOT track ready by a long shot due to the very soft pring rates.

Again, great shocks, wrong spring rates, leading to spending more money long term than doing it right.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Our street customers rave non-stop about them. I think we've sold 3 or 4 sets this month with nothing but rave reviews?
JL
Old 09-13-2006, 04:47 AM
M Mad

Compared to what? Stock?

I love people who drive one setup and rave that it is the best.

And street customers are typically the least critcal of real performance.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-13-2006, 01:24 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

I didn't say that they rave it's the best, I said that they are very happy with their purchase. Also, we find that street customers are about 70% of our clientele (and then we have about 20% who show, and 10% who use their cars solely for track)... so we cater to them mostly!
JL
Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Kady-Licious

How much of a drop do you guys have? I was thinking about a 1.5 in drop? Do any of you have problems with rubbing or scraping?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
How much of a drop do you guys have? I was thinking about a 1.5 in drop? Do any of you have problems with rubbing or scraping?
I don't know exactly how much my drop was...but I've had no problem with drop causing rubbing or scraping (and I have larger tires up front).

Car looks much better dropped