Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E46 325i Sedan (M56)
Mi Car Needs Help

Hello all,

So I have some issues with my car. (Yes I made a thread before, but nothing has been solved).

1) Rough start up- I believe that is due to the secondary air pump failing or being clogged or has a leak somewhere. Now my question is, should I replace it or get a new filter or should I just leave it alone?

2) Slightly rough idling- when driving like a normal person or after going racer mode, my car seems to have a slightly rough/vibrating idle. Windows shake sometimes, left headlight shakes like crazy, and feels like a misfire. Not sure if idle air control valve is clogged, if DISA is failing, if VANOS is failing, or if the leak detection pump is failing.

It has been atleast 3-4 months that I have noticed these problems, but it HAS NOT gotten worse. It has been pretty much the same. Some days its not bad and some days its bad (doesn't matter of the driving habits).

As always, any suggestions are always welcome and appreciated (except for get rid of the car and get a new one, I am a full time college student, full time job, and a full time business; so comments like that WILL be ignored). Thanks in advanced!!!
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Fault codes?

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Fault codes?
No SES at the moment, but it was the p1449. Appears then I reset and appears again after few months.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:35 AM
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER

Mein Auto: '01 750 | '91 850 | '00 5
Mi Car Needs Help

Need a lot more info for people to help here. SAP should not cause rough idle. It's purely for emissions and only runs for about 90 seconds even when it's working.

On your 1), what "filter" are you referring to?

Need info:

- how many miles on car?
- service history (e.g. When is the last time you replaced the spark plugs?)
- have you checked intake boots for air leaks?

Please take this as constructive criticism, but you seem to throw out terms like DISA, SAP, VANOS, etc without really knowing what they mean or what they do.

I would recommend you start by sharing specific codes, specific symptoms and specific service history over your ownership including the mileage on the car. That way the good people on this forum can try to help.

Here is a thread that specifically discusses the p1449 - http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ht-on-05-330ci

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert
'00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey
'01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line
'91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70
'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|Premium|CWP|GONE
'05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|NAV|LOGIC7|Sport|Premium|Comfort Seats|CWP|GONE
'07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|Premium|CWP|GONE
'05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|NAV|Sport|CWP |GONE
'97 528i Auto - GONE

Last edited by adwebinc; 08-26-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmania24 View Post
No SES at the moment, but it was the p1449. Appears then I reset and appears again after few months.

You do not need SES light to have codes stored.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
I went back through some of your older threads and lots of issues over past few months and no closure on any of them. I realize you're working your way through college, the car was free or close to it, and you have limited funds, but before we extend time and energy, let's try to close the loop on some history.

Do you still have that remapper hooked up?
Did you look into the vacuum leak?
You asked about gutting cat converters for emissions test? Status and why ask in first place?
You asked about CCV delete. Status?
Saw at least a half a dozen codes on previous threads. Did they get resolved? If yes how?
What are current codes?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
I went back through some of your older threads and lots of issues over past few months and no closure on any of them. I realize you're working your way through college, the car was free or close to it, and you have limited funds, but before we extend time and energy, let's try to close the loop on some history.

Do you still have that remapper hooked up?
Did you look into the vacuum leak?
You asked about gutting cat converters for emissions test? Status and why ask in first place?
You asked about CCV delete. Status?
Saw at least a half a dozen codes on previous threads. Did they get resolved? If yes how?
What are current codes?
1-Remapper not hooked up. Gives me EML
2- Can't find a leak in the engine, so it seems like a bad pump
3- did not gut them, deleted useless secondary cats still have primary
4- can not delete CCV, built into head
5- Codes cleared by replacing them (except the p1449 code)
6- current code p1449

Plugs just changed 2 weeks ago.
Just hit 160,000 miles

Last edited by Carmania24; 08-26-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwebinc View Post
Need a lot more info for people to help here. SAP should not cause rough idle. It's purely for emissions and only runs for about 90 seconds even when it's working.

On your 1), what "filter" are you referring to?

Need info:

- how many miles on car?
- service history (e.g. When is the last time you replaced the spark plugs?)
- have you checked intake boots for air leaks?

Please take this as constructive criticism, but you seem to throw out terms like DISA, SAP, VANOS, etc without really knowing what they mean or what they do.

I would recommend you start by sharing specific codes, specific symptoms and specific service history over your ownership including the mileage on the car. That way the good people on this forum can try to help.

Here is a thread that specifically discusses the p1449 - http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ht-on-05-330ci

I understand your point. Don't take this the wrong way, but please never tell me what I know and what I don't know. I know what I know and what I don't, I do not need to be told. I HATE when people do that to me.

Anyways, I have heard that any of these (besides SAP) can cause rough idling which is why I am asking if they can be causing it.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I understand your point. Don't take this the wrong way, but please never tell me what I know and what I don't know. I know what I know and what I don't, I do not need to be told. I HATE when people do that to me.

Anyways, I have heard that any of these (besides SAP) can cause rough idling which is why I am asking if they can be causing it.

Then use those terms intelligently instead of throwing them out with no apparent relevancy to your problems.

With your attitude and your multiple threads without any effort to follow through on the recommendations and help offered by members, it's no wonder your car runs like crap.

Good luck!

'05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|NAV|LOGIC7|Sport|Premium|Comfort Seats|CWP|GONE
'05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|NAV|Sport|CWP |GONE
'97 528i Auto - GONE
Old 08-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Then use those terms intelligently instead of throwing them out with no apparent relevancy to your problems.

With your attitude and your multiple threads without any effort to follow through on the recommendations and help offered by members, it's no wonder your car runs like crap.

Good luck!

My attitude? Hahaha
Also FYI yes I did follow other people's help and fixed most of the issues. Rough idling happens and sometimes it doesn't. If you don't have anything nice to say beat it. No use for your help. Oh and another thing car drives fine, idles rough (stated in the first post).
Old 08-26-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
My attitude? Hahaha

Also FYI yes I did follow other people's help and fixed most of the issues. Rough idling happens and sometimes it doesn't. If you don't have anything nice to say beat it. No use for your help. Oh and another thing car drives fine, idles rough (stated in the first post).

You're right... I should NOT tell you what you know and what you don't. You make it quite clear by yourself.

Role play...

You, "Mr. Mechanic, my car drives 'fine'."

Mechanic, "OK, so why are you here?"

You, "Well, it sometimes has a really rough ideal."

Mechanic, "Oh, I thought you said it runs fine?"

You, "Well, it runs fine except when it doesn't. I think it's the CCV, DISA, VANOS and the SAP"

Mechanic, "Ok."

You, "Oh, and can you also please change the SAP filter?"

Brilliant...

'97 528i Auto - GONE
Old 08-26-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You're right... I should NOT tell you what you know and what you don't. You make it quite clear by yourself.

Role play...

You, "Mr. Mechanic, my car drives 'fine'."

Mechanic, "OK, so why are you here?"

You, "Well, it sometimes has a really rough ideal."

Mechanic, "Oh, I thought you said it runs fine?"

You, "Well, it runs fine except when it doesn't. I think it's the CCV, DISA, VANOS and the SAP"

Mechanic, "Ok."

You, "Oh, and can you also please change the SAP filter?"

Brilliant...

I'll be the first to apologize. Just let me clear some things up here (NO RUDENESS INTENDED)

1- Please do not ever tell me what I know and do not know, yes sometimes I do get carried away
2- I heard (and saw on other forums) about the SAP filter
3- Reason I am asking if the DISA or VANOS can be causing this is because I have read on other forums that, yes indeed sometimes these CAN cause idling issues
4- CCV in M56 built into head, and I am very positive it is bad (which sucks if it bad)

I have taken it to multiple mechanics and they can not even diagnose the issue, which worries me a lot. I have also noticed a decrease in MPG and response (since I have the stupid M56, I can not change the fuel filter or pump).

Last edited by Carmania24; 08-26-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'll be the first to apologize. Just let me clear some things up here (NO RUDENESS INTENDED)

1- Please do not ever tell me what I know and do not know, yes sometimes I do get carried away
2- I heard (and saw on other forums) about the SAP filter
3- Reason I am asking if the DISA or VANOS can be causing this is because I have read on other forums that, yes indeed sometimes these CAN cause idling issues
4- CCV in M56 built into head, and I am very positive it is bad (which sucks if it bad)

I have taken it to multiple mechanics and they can not even diagnose the issue, which worries me a lot. I have also noticed a decrease in MPG and response (since I have the stupid M56, I can not change the fuel filter or pump).
Apology accepted and I apologize as well.

Now, back to your issues.

2) I have a couple of cars with SAPs on them and I haven't ever heard of a filter. My e38 had a bad SAP, but it didn't cause any idle issues. There is a check value that can sometimes go bad, but it's typically the main hose coming off the SAP to that valve that goes bad. You may check that if you haven't already.

3) Does your idle actually fluctuate (e.g. 600pm spikes to 1000 then back down) or is the tach steady and it's just rough and feels like it's missing? It is tougher to track down idle problems without specific codes. Have you tried cleaning the Idle Control Valve? That is a cheap one to try.

Just brain storming here... Is it possible that the engine mounts are bad? That can sometimes feel like a rough idle. You can test (easier to have a buddy with you) by putting the car in drive with the brake on and give it a little gas and see if the engine twists. Try it in reverse too. With the mileage, it is possible.

4) As far as the CCV... it sucks that you are over the 150,000 mile mark.

'97 528i Auto - GONE
Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:

2) I have a couple of cars with SAPs on them and I haven't ever heard of a filter. My e38 had a bad SAP, but it didn't cause any idle issues. There is a check value that can sometimes go bad, but it's typically the main hose coming off the SAP to that valve that goes bad. You may check that if you haven't already.

3) Does your idle actually fluctuate (e.g. 600pm spikes to 1000 then back down) or is the tach steady and it's just rough and feels like it's missing? It is tougher to track down idle problems without specific codes. Have you tried cleaning the Idle Control Valve? That is a cheap one to try.

Just brain storming here... Is it possible that the engine mounts are bad? That can sometimes feel like a rough idle. You can test (easier to have a buddy with you) by putting the car in drive with the brake on and give it a little gas and see if the engine twists. Try it in reverse too. With the mileage, it is possible.

Sorry, currently at work. I will reply with more detail when I get home.

Last edited by Carmania24; 08-26-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Only code I've gotten is the P1449, bad leak pump. Have not changed it, because I do not think it has anything to do with idle issues (unless it does? 0.o)

Just got home. So googling "e46 sap filter" came up with results. Now it may be possible that it is indeed built into the pump it-self.

3- Fluctuating does happen occasionally, making me thinking throttle body is dirty or iacv is dirty or maybe even both. I have not tired cleaning it, but whenever i get a break I will clean it out with carb cleaner.

As for mounts, they may be bad. Left headlight shakes like crazy and right side is normal. Like the left side of the car vibrates more than the right side when idle (again could be clogged idle air control valve)

4- Yes, it does and worse of all the car was bought used ages ago and I don't think the warranty carried over to begin with.

I am trying to make this car survive for a little bit longer, as I am trying to get a new car beginning to mid next year. Most likely a subaru wrx, cheap and pretty reliable.

Last edited by Carmania24; 08-26-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Oh and forgot to mention, my car's right control arm bushings and ball joints are done/shot. I have no money or time to fix it, I am just wondering how long can before it can screw up more?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search