Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto:
Anyone using LED D2S hid bulbs??

I'm very interested in the LED D2S replacements that are available, does anyone have any experience with them?? I see I can get them off eBay and Amazon from $90-$150.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2015, 05:13 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Garbage. If you want the best D2S hid bulbs get Osram CBI
Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
On the recommendation of a friend who uses them, I purchased these a few weeks ago...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Say what you want, but at $40 shipped for the pair, they are working out quite well for me. They're much brighter than the factory D2S I pulled (granted they were almost 10 years old) especially in the high beam mode. I drive on dark secondary roads among tall trees every night and these have increased my visibility and safety by leaps and bounds. The naysayers on Amazon bought the stupid version of the bulbs. Anything above 5000k and maybe 6000k will not illuminate the road well. Those buyers are uninformed and went for the bling.

I chose the 5000k color temp which is slightly whiter than the 4300k of the factory supplied Philips bulbs.

I did a lot of research ahead of time as I read "cheap bulbs burn up igniters" and a bunch of other BS, but not a single documented case surfaced in my research, so I discounted it as hearsay.

I ordered D2S but received D2C, which is just a universal mount that fits multiple applications. One of the first reviews you'll read from an Audi owner states he had to modify something. I can't see how that was even possible after installing them. Took me all of 10 minutes per side to do, mostly because I don't have little boy hands.

BTW, in my experience, LED is far superior to HID. A friend installed a system in his motorcycle and it saved our lives one night in Death Valley. I so wish I had a headlight assembly that would accommodate a system like that on my bike - outstanding!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

Last edited by jvr826; 01-22-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto:
New Brights LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 6400LM Cree LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - D2/D4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOR4CI8..._8UrWub0X1Q63F
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOR4CI8..._8UrWub0X1Q63F

Here's what I was looking at for LED headlights
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Your car presently has halogen headlight assemblies? If so, you need H7 for low beam bulbs and you must triple check that these LEDs will fit in there. They are much deeper at the connector side than standard H7 bulbs.

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...n.aspx#fldYear to find the bulb you need.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto:
It's got aftermarket depo projectors with halogens for the high beams and HID for lows. I will have to do some measuring, to see if the LEDs will fit, cause they are rather large as the specs state. Sounds like they are super bright too
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

I do not think you can just throw an LED bulb in an HID housing and call it done. You're going to have to see if the LCM (light control module) will work as it is, or if you have to swap it for a halogen version, or recode HID to Halogen. I'm not sure about that part, but I do know from past reading, some extra steps are required.

Furthermore, the lens on an HID is different than a lens on a halogen. You may not get the result you want from that either.

If it were me, I'd spend $40 on the HID bulbs I bought and give them a try. Granted, I cannot speak for longevity, but for the price it was worth the gamble for me and I do like them.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You HAVE to use the bulb the reflector or projector is made for.

Halogen, xenon (HID), and LED bulbs all have different focal points and beam patterns. If you put a different bulb type in a reflector or projector that it was not meant for, you will have sub par output.

You will lose light output and most likely create hot spots that will blind other drivers.

+1 for Osram CBIs

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |