Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Question Need help with manual door locks

Due to the recent failure of my GM5 module, I now have another problem that has made its self known. I received this car used with ~195k miles for my 16th birthday. Shortly after this the GM5 module bit the dust so it became necessary to use the manual door lock. This is when the problem started. I could not unlock the door even when using the manual lock. It just rotates about 90 and stops while feeling spongy the whole way. I have not been able to test the manual locking ability due to the fact that the GM5 module still works for locking and I haven't unplugged my battery to see if it works. Back when the GM5 module worked the "key in the door" method worked fine for locking and unlocking the car. I was wondering what this could be. I am getting the GM5 module fixed and I am wanting to get this fixed as well (preferably DIY) but I just don't really know what is wrong.
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
The lock cylinder probably needs to be repaired. You can buy a new lock cylinder from the stealer for $110 or so or repair yours for about $20 with parts from Ebay. The seller is in Turkey so it takes 2 or 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. A number of other Festers and I have gone through the same thing and had a nice thread regarding the matter about a year ago. Do a search for "Lock cylinder".
Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the information. I have been reading some DIYs on the subject and one of the things that I haven't really been able to understand is if it is necessary to take the door panel off to get the lock cylinder out. Some DIYs make it sound like there is a screw on the side of the door that allows you to remove the lock cylinder?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerwhiz1 View Post
Thanks for the information. I have been reading some DIYs on the subject and one of the things that I haven't really been able to understand is if it is necessary to take the door panel off to get the lock cylinder out. Some DIYs make it sound like there is a screw on the side of the door that allows you to remove the lock cylinder?
You don't need to remove the door panel. There is a black plastic/rubber plug on the side of the door that you pry off to get access to the cylinder setscrew. It's the same height from the ground as the lock cylinder. Use a 5mm. allen (hex) wrench to remove this setscrew. You won't be able to see it, but if you angle the wrench about 45 degrees toward the lock you should be able to find it by feel. Remove the setscrew and put your key into the lock cylinder to help you wiggle it straight out. My setscrew wouldn't fall out after loosening it, but others said theirs dropped into the bottom of the door. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM

So i'm guessing if the set screw does fall into the bottom of the door you are going to have to take the door panel off to get it out?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 PM
catso

Quote:
So i'm guessing if the set screw does fall into the bottom of the door you are going to have to take the door panel off to get it out?
Or buy another setscrew.....
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM

I looked on ebay and I found a door lock cylinder repair kit for about $20 that ships from germany. Should I take out the lock cylinder before buying this to make sure that is what is wrong, or is that pretty much a guarantee as to what is wrong?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM
catso

Quote:
I looked on ebay and I found a door lock cylinder repair kit for about $20 that ships from germany. Should I take out the lock cylinder before buying this to make sure that is what is wrong, or is that pretty much a guarantee as to what is wrong?
The pieces that usually break are inside the cylinder assembly. It's pretty easy to take the cylinder out to confirm thats what's wrong. With the cylinder out, you should be able to lock and unlock the door with a screwdriver. Sometimes you'll also be able to see the broken lock pieces in the assembly. You may want to carefully note the position of the pieces before you actually disassemble the lock cylinder.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
My cylinder is broken to. It looks easy enough to repair but every video I seen on how to remove it is from a 4 door BMW. I have the 2 door coupe and it doesn't have the 2 removable rubber plugs. there is a small plug with a screw under it. Is that it?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 PM
catso

If the plug lines up with the cylinder position on the doorframe, that's it. Pry it out and use a 5mm Allen wrench at about a 45 degree angle to probe for the setscrew. It's difficult to find the first time.