Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 2002 330xi
2002 330xi Flywheel

So I need a clutch job done. Now one local shop says you should always change your dual mass flywheel, when you do a clutch job. And the other says it doesn't need to be changed unless its blued from heat or scored badly. Now whats every ones opinion. Cause they quoted me 1,050 for just the flywheel. So I went looking online and then I found this on parts geek. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200.../flywheel.html are this bad or are their better ones I should go with, and or just bite the bullet and get the one the shops quoted cause there OEM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
The luk one is factory and $360 is normal. $1000 is a ripoff.

As for changing the flywheel. Yes its normal to change a dual mass flywheel but usually its every other clutch job. The scorching part means it got hot so yes thats bad for it but I would change it every other clutch job no matter what.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
2002 330xi Flywheel

The issue isn't just the friction surface. The dual mass units have springs inside them too and pieces that slide upon each other, kind of like tightening and loosening a bottle cap on every clutch release under load. If you only had like 50k miles you might get away with using it again, but its usually best to replace it. A worn one may vibrate and eat up the new clutch faster. There's a video somewhere of a guy testing the play in a used dm fw. There was enough it didn't look good to put back on the car. Can't remember mileage… a bit north of 100k miles i think.

Luk is the oem I'm pretty sure. Gripforce has reasonable kits and you can choose ltw fw or dual mass. At least for the 330. I'm planning to get their stage 2 soon.

1k for just a fw is insane.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 07-22-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Look on eBay for the seller named "Gripforce"....they offer some smoking` clutch and flywheel deals, around $500 for their Stage 1 or Stage II kits.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 AM

Wow thanks guys. Yeah even my wife thought 1k ways steep and she knows nothing of cars. I glad I asked I really appreciate it. So bob I looked up grip force and only the luk one is made for my model and year so I'd guess it must be oem.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM

The luk is dual mass like stock. Smoother but a tad more expensive than lw fw. Will avoid gear rattle too. I'm going to go with the luk dm. Even Porsches use dm flywheels.

I'm thinking stage 1 clutch plate may be Sachs which I think is the oe clutch too.

Lots to consider on a clutch job like replacing rear main oil seal; tm input, output, and shift rod seals; cold 5th gear flop fix.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:23 PM

As mentioned if your annoyed by little things, cant stand your car making strange noises at all and dont want any rattles when sitting still with the clutch pedal not pressed in then get the dual mass luk one.

If you dont mind stuff rattling a bit when sitting still then save yourself a bunch of money and get the solid flywheel.

I personally dont mind my firebird vibrating, my bmw should be silent and smooth at idle. Different cars entirely in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Ordered the luk 364. On its way 1450 for the shop and pressure plate also seals and what not. Here hoping all goes well. Thanks for the help again guys.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Umm that sure is high. I just switched mine from automatic to manual and thats more than I spent buying the transmission, flywheel, clutch, pedals, mounts, driveshaft, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, lines and everything.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:18 AM

Not if he's including labor.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 AM

Well the flywheel and clutch is $540 on amazon so $900 labor??????
Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 AM

Gripforce's kit for 330 w LUK DMF is $620 - I can't find the deal you may have found. Seals + labor, CSB, Giubo, Mounts.... And it's an XI so there's a little more labor coming and going.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then choose the combo under the clutch itself.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 AM

Nice. but amazon tells me it fits a 323 but not a 330?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Yah guys it's a xi I think it adds 2-3 more hoursof labor. So it would be less if it was a 330i and because it 2002 it's on some stupid s/n # brake with 5 five speed