Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Another satified and hooked ED customer (Really long)

Well, this is the second ED I've performed in the last 19 months and with God's blessing I certainly hope it will not be my last.

Roots has already done an excellent job in giving everyone the grand tour of the ED center so I'll just cut to the chase.

Here's the object of my trip. It's an Orient blue with Natural brown 325iT. It has SP, PP, Heated bun warmers, bi-Xenon's, HK, Full-size spare and slush box.

Since I pretty much dislike utilizing the Autobahn, I usually opt for taking secondary roads. Being half German and having lived there for 4 years I find that the true essence of the Germany that is my second home can be found taking in the breathtaking countryside.

On the Autobahn everything happens so fast at triple digit speeds that you have to concentrate so hard on driving, and the beautiful sights just go by too quickly (as well as the exits you're supposed to take ).

I also like the secondary roads because they optimize breaking in the vehicle correctly. You constantly have to go up and down the power and rev bands. One second your stomping down a country road at 80mph, and the next you have to bring it down to 20mph in order to not run over a farmer on a tractor pulling a honey wagon. The one thing that you do have to guard against is invoking kick-down. When you've got to get by somebody in lickity-split, it's very easy to exceed the 4500rpm limit. Just plan ahead, and leave yourself an acceptable margin to pass safely and you'll be OK.

Here I stopped at a guest house off of the B13 between Ingolstadt and Ansbach to have my first real Wienerschnitzel since March of '01. Unfortunately, only mineral water and no beer for me at this stop .

Last edited by IndyMike; 11-14-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2002, 06:00 PM
Elected by grace

A couple of hours later I was forced to make a pit stop in which I took in the flora and the fauna, while returning a portion of the mineral water to the Land of the Father. No pictures of that momentous event, but here are a couple of more of the Speedwagon at the unoccupied soccer field that I parked near.

After arriving at my aunt & uncle's flat in Bad Neuenahr (near Bonn and Cologne) we took in dinner at a nearby restaurant and enjoyed the house special; lamb cutlets with gravy, potato balls (dumplings) and a wonderful white wine with a peach color to it.

For the record, my aunt is 80 and my uncle is 82 years old. I only hope that if/when my wife and I ever make it to that age we are half as well pickled, er preserved as they are.
. They walked my arsch off the following day, and hardly showed any wear or effects of the event. The fact that Germans are in far better condition than their American counterparts can be attributed to their regimen of regular walks and excercise. Their longevity does not come by accident.

One of the unique features of this particular restaurant was this Schaferkarre (Shepherds cart). It is occassionally used for dining, but unfortunately I didn't rate the honor. Coincidentally, the family that has owned this house/restaurant throughout several generations is also named Schafer. Notice the green Kachelofen (tiled oven) on the right. This is not only a pretty decorative item, but it's also used for heating the room as well as any food or beverages within the confines of the oven. I just love these, particularly when keeping my gluhwein warm!

Last edited by IndyMike; 11-14-2002 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Elected by grace

After spending a couple of days in Bad Neuenahr I went to visit my cousin in Bielefeld, which is up north in NordRhein Westfallen.

They fetted me with my favorite German meal, Sauerbraten and gravy with rotkraut (red cabbage) and but of course, potato balls.
Notice I did partake of one of the local beers, Herforder Pils, at this festive event.

Coincidentally, my cousin also owns a Touring. His is a 2000 318 variant.

Two side by side comparisons:

A pic of the Speedwagon in front of the house:

A pic of the Speedwagon showing the entire house:

And a rear portion pic of the Speedwagon:

Sadly, the time all but ran out and I had to return to Munich to drop it off at Harms. I lucked out and found a fabulous hotel (Mozart Stubens) in Denkendorf, just 50 miles north of Munich on the A9 between Nurnberg and Munich. It only cost 47 Euro's (as you can probably tell since I sponge so well, I'm a bit frugal) and took only 1 hour to get to Harms from.

Here are the departure pics from Harms.

Notice how dirty these first two pictures are. I'm ashamed to show these, because the German in me compels me to be meticulous in these matter. But it rained just about the entire 400 mile trip south, and even though I washed it at my cousins house the day before you would never be able to tell it by these pics. Oh well, it was the same deal with the cab last year so why should it be any different this time around?

1086 miles at drop-off. Last time it was incremented by 7 miles when I picked up at my local dealers. I'll report back in 4 - 6 weeks.

Last edited by IndyMike; 11-14-2002 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Elected by grace

Parting comments:

(1) Why aren't there more Tourings here in the States? This car is so unbelievably practical, and it is kick-ass to drive. Without a doubt, on this trip through Germany I saw more 3er Tourings than any other BMW model or variant. Most are debadged so you can't tell, but I assume the majority are 320 or under derivitives since the 325 and 330 are pretty pricey. It's just a shame if BMW AG decides to rob NA of having access to these wagons. Just glad I got mine if they do.

(2) The legendary BMW steering is definitely back. Flick the wrist and the steering snaps.

(3) OB is flat-out gorgeous. And even several hours after washing, dust that always seems to be attracted to freshly washed finishes is not even visible to the naked eye on this color.

(4) NB is dynamite. IMHO it doesn't have the 'WOW' factor of Tanin, but it is a classy, well refined color. Plus it retains dirt extremely well, a real plus for me since I hate maintaining the interior of my vehicles.

(5) For 97.977% of the time the 2.5 liter engine is adequate for most driving conditions. What it lacks is the low end grunt that the 3.0 gives, especially when you have to invoke kickdown to overtake other vehicles. It'll be fine since this will be the frau's ride. But I can't help but wish it had the 3.0 engine. If that were the case I would have to convince her to take the cab instead of the Touring.

(6) I really dislike the snowplow front fascia. Sometime next spring I'll swap it with the M Sportpaket II front spoiler.

(7) OK, I'm learning to accept the '02 headlight treatment, but I still prefer the prior '02 look. Just think they look gnarlier. Only my opinion, so please lets not get into that which is better arguement. Neither one reeks, and it's all subjective in the end, anyway

(8) The Type 96 wheels are super! I love how easy they are to keep clean, and I even think I now like them more than the Type 44's, although not as much as the Type 68's.

(9) I don't like the goofy looking phone antenna on the top rear. Kind of looks out of place, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

(10) The HK Stereo is just as good in the Touring as it is in the cab. I was worried that the spacious nature of the interior would somehow interfere with the accoustics, but my fears were unfounded. For the money, I think HK rocks! Keep all the settings at normal levels and you'll be rewarded with a sound that will put a small on your face.

(11) It may be just an optical delusion, but the bi-Xenons seem to turn white much quicker than the Xenon's on the '01 cab. I don't have any empirical evidence to sustain this opinion, so I'll have to wait until I get more time to play with it after the second delivery at my local dealer.

(12) Great gas mileage! In the 1086 miles I racked up, under just about every scenario from stop and go stau (traffic jams), to 2 hour extended runs at near triple digit speeds I averaged 26.7 MPG's during the trip. Considering that one of the major reasons I'm giving up on my Escape is because of terrible gas frugality, this car is truly a revelation.

(13) Everybody, and I mean everybody, should at least do ED once. You're ripping yourself off if you never opt to do it. You get the generous ED savings, plus you will accumulate experiences that I promise you will never forget. To drive these finely crafted machines on the roads that they were engineered for is truly the ultimate driving experience. For me it's a no-brainer since for the price of a plane ticket (essentially compensated for by the BMWCCA Reward Savings Program) is all that it takes, plus the obligatory $200 in beads and trinkets that I unload upon the relatives and $100 in gas during the trip.

But in the end it's really not all about the savings but about the car, and secondarily the experiences you'll be racking up in it. If you're not doing ED at least once in your lifetime, then you really haven't lived, IMHO.

Finally, I'd like to thank my wagon brothers out there for inspiring me to take the dive. I know I'll probably miss somebody so I'll apologize in advance, but kudo's go out to Phil-adelphia, Clyde with the OB AWD ride, Nick-araugua, Kaz-ablanca. Jeff, Uter, and Cowboy.

Also, thanks to the OB guys that grooved me on to that color; Alee, Clyde (yet again), geomax, Technic, and Plaz.

It's definitely just as sweet the 4th time around as it is the 1st time!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Congrats and great writeup!
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 11-15-2002, 12:51 AM
Patented Worldwide

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
IndyMike, Excellent posts

This was a great read! I especially liked the compare shots between the two wagons.

Country roads sound like the way to go during the break-in period...(almost) no tempation to exceed the speed break-in limits like there is on the A-bahn.

So, do you prefer living in the U.S. over Deutschland? I'm currently living in Munich (love it here), but am slated to return to the U.S. in the spring...but not without my 330i baby, which I am taking through ED in January....such a long wait

Until then, it's U-bahn for me

There are soooo many more tourings over here than in the States. My friend has a 330 turbo diesel and it MOVES, yet gets superb gas mileage.

2004 330d (in Deutschland)
metalic silver/black leather
damn near fully loaded
Old 11-15-2002, 02:48 AM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Great write up Mike Definately a no brainer for ED with the family set up

Love the color combo and am pleased that you too are happy with everything except the .5 litre deficit that when are long for
Old 11-15-2002, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Great write up Mike,

Enjoy the car, really looks beautiful. You are probably used to the color and black combo interior from your tanin. Grey and sand match carpets and doors, etc. where nat/tanin don't. Funny you mention the HK stereo, it should be better in the wagon, you and I lose good subwoofers in the cab. My wife's 540iAT HK is fabulous. ED looks like great fun. 4-6 weeks to get over here? I assume the german license plate is a temp. Do they change the plate holder here when you get the car or do you have to buy one?

Again, enjoy. Beautiful.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:20 AM
Tree Stalker

Mein Auto: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
IndyMike - hey, thanks for sharing. Your Aunt and Uncle certainly ARE youthful looking for being in their 80s.

Last edited by postoak; 11-15-2002 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:22 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Thanks for sharing your ED experience, it sure looked like a great time. I agree fully with you that anyone considering a BMW really ought to try the Euro Delivery. Seeing your pictures and Roots made me sorry I didn't take more pictures of the events.
Congrats on the car and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:34 AM

Mike, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought many Germans were overweight and that their diet was very high in fats and calories. W/respect to your comment about living longer than Americans, you think it boils down to the exercise alone? Seems the diet would almost cancel out the exercise. Maybe the wines and beers help too. Maybe I'm just playing into a stereotype.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:07 AM
Elected by grace

Re: IndyMike, Excellent posts

Quote:
Originally posted by riffic
So, do you prefer living in the U.S. over Deutschland? I'm currently living in Munich (love it here), but am slated to return to the U.S. in the spring...but not without my 330i baby, which I am taking through ED in January....such a long wait
riffic, in a perfect world I would be happy to spend 6 months of the year in Germany and an equal amount in the U.S.

But since life is never that easy for most of us I'm content to live in the U.S. and take the odd vacation to rekindle my fondness for the Fatherland.

Good luck on your ED in January. It must seem a bit anti-climactic since you are already there in Munich. Half the thrill (and sometimes hassle) for us here is the journey to get to the center.
Even now I can still remember the excitement of the plane finally breaking through the clouds after the 8 hour journey, and landing at Munich International Airport. Then dragging my luggage down to the S-Bahn and buying a ticket for 8 Euro's to get me to Marienplatz center, where I got off and took the U-bahn to the Freimann center. Then finding the foot path that eventually leads to the ED center.

Since you are currently living in Germany are you purchasing the vehicle through the Canadian Post Exchange system, or through a normal BMW handler in Munich?

Just curious to how ED works for a U.S. spec car for someone already in country.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:32 AM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally posted by johnlew
Great write up Mike,

Enjoy the car, really looks beautiful. You are probably used to the color and black combo interior from your tanin. Grey and sand match carpets and doors, etc. where nat/tanin don't. Funny you mention the HK stereo, it should be better in the wagon, you and I lose good subwoofers in the cab. My wife's 540iAT HK is fabulous. ED looks like great fun. 4-6 weeks to get over here? I assume the german license plate is a temp. Do they change the plate holder here when you get the car or do you have to buy one?

Again, enjoy. Beautiful.
John, ja, I kind of prefer how the black trim breaks up the leather appointments when presented in Tanin and Natural. I like solids to be broken up and contrasted. For some reason it's just more pleasing to my eyes. It's not better or worse, but just me.

Hey, and thanks for the reminder about the sub-woofers. I'd forgotten about that missing link in the cab.

Since Indiana does not require a front license plate I'll have to remove the current holder and purchase the bracket that fills the gap when the car arrives at the dealer.

I doubt if the car will arrive in 4 weeks, and am planning on 5 since that's how long it took the cab to get here. But to be honest, I don't even know what Wallenius's schedule is like . It's not that I'm not interested, but trying to track it and plan when it might be here is sort of fruitless in my opinion. Simply put, It'll be here when it's here. My worrying about it is not going to help or speed it up any. It's not in my control, so I'll trust those in whose care it is given to use proper diligence in moving it to it's ultimate destination.

And who knows, maybe one day if/when my family grows I'll be able to move up to a 5er Touring like you have. At least I'm confident that variant will be around for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally posted by johnlew
Mike, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought many Germans were overweight and that their diet was very high in fats and calories. W/respect to your comment about living longer than Americans, you think it boils down to the exercise alone? Seems the diet would almost cancel out the exercise. Maybe the wines and beers help too. Maybe I'm just playing into a stereotype.
John, it is extremely unusual to see a German that is overweight. They seem to have mastered the basics of moderation in diet, combined with light exercise at regular schedules and intervals.

Plus, as you alluded to, you will almost always find some type of alcoholic beverage served before, during (usually wine) and/or after the meal (usually a cognac). It enhances the meal, plus as studies continually show it helps to break down any concentrates of cholesterol that might be part of the meal.

And whenever they go for a long walk it's ALWAYS broken up by a guest house somehow along the way. The one beautiful constant about Germany is that all roads lead to a guest house somewhere.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:20 AM
-------------------------

Mein Auto: 2002 325ci
Awesome write up!!! It really makes me wish I would have gone for the ED on my car. However, I do plan on ED for my next ride (hopefully). Congrats on the new ride and enjoy it. (I know you you will)

p.s.
It also nice to hear someone not totally bashing the 2.5 engine for a change too....
Old 11-15-2002, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyMike

John, it is extremely unusual to see a German that is overweight. They seem to have mastered the basics of moderation in diet, combined with light exercise at regular schedules and intervals.

Well, there goes *that* stereotype! Thanks.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Excellent write up Mike!! Glad I am not the only one hooked on Euro Deliveries. Yes!! Love those potatoe dumplings and the pig knuckles.

Nuthing like authentic Bavaria food

We love the beer!! the car is nice too!!

beewang

Last edited by beewang; 11-15-2002 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by IndyMike

John, ja, I kind of prefer how the black trim breaks up the leather appointments when presented in Tanin and Natural. I like solids to be broken up and contrasted. For some reason it's just more pleasing to my eyes. It's not better or worse, but just me.

Hey, and thanks for the reminder about the sub-woofers. I'd forgotten about that missing link in the cab.

Since Indiana does not require a front license plate I'll have to remove the current holder and purchase the bracket that fills the gap when the car arrives at the dealer.

I doubt if the car will arrive in 4 weeks, and am planning on 5 since that's how long it took the cab to get here. But to be honest, I don't even know what Wallenius's schedule is like . It's not that I'm not interested, but trying to track it and plan when it might be here is sort of fruitless in my opinion. Simply put, It'll be here when it's here. My worrying about it is not going to help or speed it up any. It's not in my control, so I'll trust those in whose care it is given to use proper diligence in moving it to it's ultimate destination.

And who knows, maybe one day if/when my family grows I'll be able to move up to a 5er Touring like you have. At least I'm confident that variant will be around for the foreseeable future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	european delivery 13 smaller.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	4838  
Old 11-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
Um, here's the text

What I meant to post with that pic of my own 3 wagon at ED was that the US style front plate holder has its bottom portion screwed right into the front bumper. So, IndyMike, be prepared for a moment of disappointment when you remove the front plate holder because there greeting you will be two holes in the front plastic bumper below the black trim.

But hey, GREAT post. Thanks for all the details. The O'blue and Nat Brown looks great.

-Steel blue/natural brown 325xit
Old 11-15-2002, 02:44 PM
2001 M3:Stick, what else?

Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
Great writeup and gorgeous car.

The 3er wagons were new for Canada in 2002. I've seen 1 or 2 iT's tops in the last year driving around. They are a rare novelty and their popularity on bimmerfest is certainly not reflected in the general populace.

I'm considering replacing my 3 with the S4 wagon, but the thoughts of taking another Saab-like thrashing on the resale leads me to question the wisdom of wagon acquisition.

Enjoy yours!
Old 11-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Elected by grace

Re: Um, here's the text

Quote:
Originally posted by uter
What I meant to post with that pic of my own 3 wagon at ED was that the US style front plate holder has its bottom portion screwed right into the front bumper. So, IndyMike, be prepared for a moment of disappointment when you remove the front plate holder because there greeting you will be two holes in the front plastic bumper below the black trim.

But hey, GREAT post. Thanks for all the details. The O'blue and Nat Brown looks great.

-Steel blue/natural brown 325xit
Thanks for the warning, uter. I kind of suspected that, but was hoping maybe the screws didn't actually penetrate the bumper.

I guess I now have my excuse for getting the M Sportpaket II front spoiler.

Once the frau sees the damage I'm in like Flynn!
Old 11-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
Great writeup and gorgeous car.

I'm considering replacing my 3 with the S4 wagon, but the thoughts of taking another Saab-like thrashing on the resale leads me to question the wisdom of wagon acquisition.

Enjoy yours!
Thanks, JPinTO. I considered the Audi, too, but in the end it boiled down to replacing one gas hop with essentially another gas hog. Since my wife's biggest gripe was continually having to topoff her Escape, and only getting about 18mpg she'd have throttled me if I were to put her into the same box again.

Besides, Audi currently does not have an ED program and that is the primary motivation/excuse I use to continually get new Bimmers.

Yeah, I'm slowly going to the poor-house, but man, what a heck of a ride it is getting there.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:15 AM
Patented Worldwide

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Mike,

Even though I'm living in Germany, I'm still doing standard ED through a dealership in the DC Metro area. I don't think it's technically allowed with my living situation, but because I have a residence in the U.S. where I'm registering the car, everything works out just fine. Many of the dealers I talked to said it would not be a problem.

Yes, it's a bit anti-climatic compared to everything making a special trans-Atlantic flight, but just seeing hundreds of bimmers all over the place daily makes with wait seemingly impossible!!

I thought about getting it earlier and keeping it up to 6 months in Europe, but the insurance/road tax runs like 400-500 dollars/month after the first month,

so I said no-way to that.

2004 330d (in Deutschland)
metalic silver/black leather
damn near fully loaded
Old 11-16-2002, 04:06 AM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally posted by riffic
Mike,

Even though I'm living in Germany, I'm still doing standard ED through a dealership in the DC Metro area. I don't think it's technically allowed with my living situation, but because I have a residence in the U.S. where I'm registering the car, everything works out just fine. Many of the dealers I talked to said it would not be a problem.

Yes, it's a bit anti-climatic compared to everything making a special trans-Atlantic flight, but just seeing hundreds of bimmers all over the place daily makes with wait seemingly impossible!!

I thought about getting it earlier and keeping it up to 6 months in Europe, but the insurance/road tax runs like 400-500 dollars/month after the first month,

so I said no-way to that.
Ah, I see now. Thanks for the clarification. The ED savings alone make it an extremely worthwhile endeavor, particularly since you will not incur any travel expenses to pick it up.

Good luck, and let us know when the momentous day finally arrives!
Old 11-16-2002, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Mike,

GREAT write-up, GREAT pics, GREAT wagon. CONGRATS!!!