Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old Today, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 328is
SOLD E36, Here's the new i3

Hey Bimmerfest, just upgraded (or downgraded) from my 1996 328is to a 2014 i3 BEV, weird transition but I don't have a big commute and I have access to my girlfriends car for the occasional long trip though so im not worried much about only having an 80ish mile range.

Realistically I can travel about an 1 hour and make it back on on very low. Most of my driving is local to work (10 mins) and around town and shopping (10-35 mins). It has done fine the month I have had it, lowest I went was 9 miles, my co-worker hit 0 the other day in his but it has a reserve apparently.

Very fun car, obviously not as sporty as my lowered manual 328is but I knew that coming into it. But it is peppy, can pass people fine, maxed it out at 95MPH the other day.

One issue is the quietness, I have to beep in parking lots or blast music otherwise people tend to walk in front of you and step out in front of your car at the last second (which happens now and then). I almost tapped a garbage truck employee who walked right in front of me without looking, very close call. I can say the brakes do work well, haha.

One of the best things besides the torque and responsive steering is peoples reactions, yes it looks like a toaster, but everyone seems to ask about it, wanna get in it, and take pictures. I have been asked if this thing is currently being sold, prototype, concept car, did this just come out, etc.

Overall, its a nice car, great for the electric market and perfect for city driving due to the on and off braking (brake regeneration charging) (amazing turning radius too). I feel like the range extender is needed to have it as your sole car (2 gallon gas motorcycle engine generator built in +60 miles), I regret not waiting for one to come in. Traction control tends to get in the way whenever I accelerate through sharp turns or try and drive it like a BMW , so I actually have Traction Control off unless its raining. But for the average electric customer I feel like a i3 Rex (range extender) would be very nice (125-140 miles) and the Bev (Pure electric, 80 miles) is nice for someone in the city (or just secondary car). If you have a huge crazy commute this may not be for you, or if you want to drive 4 hours every weekend plan on having this as your around town grocery getter, it'll still save you allot of money. Plus, the lease specials are ridiculous right now.

Plan is to save up for a clean E30 and S52 swap or a babied low mileage E36 M3, both a hard find.

That's my take, feel free to throw your 2 cents in, or ask any questions. Cheers!

P.S. I know it looks like a toaster on wheels

Last edited by ericheath06; Today at 07:52 AM.
Advertisement
Old Today, 07:52 AM

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432909726083.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	511842   Click image for larger version

Name:	1432909519966.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	511843  
Old Today, 07:56 AM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Mein Auto: '09 128i | '97 M3
Hey, congrats. It sounds like it's the perfect car for your uses right now, so why not play around for a few years with it?

I test-drove one last week - local dealer was offering some no-pressure test drives just to see what it was about. It's like a giant golf cart, in a weird way. The regenerative braking is insane (I basically drove it only using the throttle pedal, touched the brake pedal maybe three times) and the torque available from a stop is pretty cool.

It wouldn't fit my needs very well, but I totally see the appeal. Have fun with it!

Now:
05 GMC Yukon Denali | 97 BMW M3

Then:
87 BMW 325e | 91 BMW 535i | 96 BMW 328i | 95 BMW 325i |95 Mazda Miata | 13 Ford Focus ST | 09 BMW 128i | 00 Pontiac Firebird
Old Today, 08:04 AM

Haha yes, the one pedal driving is strange but really helps battery, and from a stop its torque-y till 35/40ish. Works for me, and with almost no payment or maint for 2 years I can spend the next 6-12 months saving for what I really want. I am not bringing this to car shows haha

I missed my E36 as soon as I the guy started it while I walked away, but I miss my E30's too. Decisions.

Last edited by ericheath06; Today at 08:06 AM.
Old Today, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Dinan Badge 323is
Nice car!! My neighbor has one, I kind of like it. With the std 80mi range and its small interior volume, it wouldn't serve me needs. I have Prius and it makes more sense for me and wife for business commuting. How many passengers have you had in it? Wondering what the performance is like when fully loaded down?

Also, I take it you sold the 328is? How much did you get for that??
Old Today, 05:18 PM
Underachiever

Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
Sweet! Congrats! I actually live in a golf cart community (retired) and it would fit right in.
Old Today, 05:28 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
I'd never thought of it much before, but the front looks a lot like a Fiat.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old Today, 05:57 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
The styling clues for cars now days is governed by governmental regulations regarding pedestrian survivability in low speed impacts. Short version: front end styling of everything is getting to be all alike.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old Today, 06:55 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
the tq @ initial acceleration is "giggle like a school girl" fun, for sure. i get shuttled back to the office in a Honda fit electric model when i drop the bug mobile off for service.

having seen this vehicle up close, initial response was it looked like it had been assembled by spare parts at the hardware store. the dash/interior looked like it wsa covered with felty cardboard. the rear lights looked like an idea rejected from the cook top makers, adnd thought it made the Honda element look good.

that being said, i saw one of these and an i8 the other day. definitely distinct, both of them.

still, it is your car and you would still be welcome to join us in the i3 @ bfe should you decide to bring it. (hey, ed's bringing a fiat )

i hope it meets your needs and expectations. how do you find the interior ergonomics?? intuitive or quirky??

i expect a 6 month review......

df