Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old Today, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i Convertible
CEL and P1188

Hi All,

I'm new to working on obd2 cars but have been restoring muscle cars for 20 years. This is a long post but I want you to see what I have tested/replaced.

I have spent countless hours searching different forums and I have replaced all associated parts that were the culprit in the threads I have seen.

Problem child is a 1999 323i Auto Convertible 80k miles, no mods.

Car had sat basically unused for 3 years. Running really rough with no power and trans not shifting properly.

Car is now running and driving/shifting fine, with no problems and starts up instantly.

Replaced Maf with ebay Maf as original had missing wire/element.
Cleaned throttle body as was quite gummed up, replaced gasket/oring.
Cleaned ICV and replaced grommet.
Replaced CCV and hoses/grommet as a kit (ebay).
Replaced both o2 sensors (NTK) These are both the same sensors. From my research only the lead length differentiates the pre and post cat sensors. If this is wrong please correct me.
Replaced all vacuum hoses under the hood.
Replaced spark plugs.
Ran Fuel inj cleaner through gas tank.

For those that don't know this particular convertible only has 1 pre and 1 post o2 sensors, which obviously read as 1 bank. It is not on the manifolds but under the car in the exhaust pipe.

Had also replaced gas cap with ebay cap but this turned out to be the wrong cap even though listed correctly. Apparently there was a change at some point in the year and 2 different types of caps are used. This came up in a smoke test and original cap put back on and is sealing good.

I am running the Torque app and had all readiness monitors set except for the secondary air when I dropped the car off.

Took it to an indy mechanic at this point as the cel and code P1188 would not go away after clearing and then completing several drive cycles. He smoke tested the intake system. Found a small leak at CCV where the hose connects going to manifold. Sorted that and retested and found no more leaks.

The secondary air system was not functioning, of which I told him and he then tested and confirmed. Replaced the valve and also the switch.

Said it was good to go, charged more than I thought reasonable and 5 miles down the road the cel and code P1188 turned on.

From talking to him he is basically telling me it's my non oem maf and o2 sensors that are the problem. I asked him why he hadn't tested these instead of just turning off the CEL, and he just proceeded to talk in circles. I am less than impressed with him and hesitant to go back.

I swapped the front to rear sensors just to see if one was defective with no change.

Codes that he read.

08 AMS
E3 Mixture deviation Cyl 1-3
CA o2 Sensor at limit Cyl 1-3
19 o2 Heater Cyl 1-6
FE Fuel tank leak

Now I'm unsure how long those codes are stored in the DME and whether they were from the original problems?

The fuel tank leak should be fixed due to the smoke test.

I tested the Maf with a multimeter.
Idle .81v
1500rpm .117v
2400rpm .1.66v
2800rpm .177v

Maf flow rate
Idle 4.7g/s
1500rpm 8.4g/s
3000rpm 20g/s

Below report was when idling.

Mode $06 report generated by Torque for Android
================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Unit and scaling information are not supplied with the data from the ECU for this type of vehicle. Consulting the manufacturers service book for this information is recommended.

Test report:
------------------
TID:$03 CID:$05
- Low sensor Voltage for switch time calculation
Min: 0
Test result value: 65,535
PASS
----
TID:$05 CID:$01
- Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated)
PASS
----
TID:$05 CID:$02
PASS
----
TID:$05 CID:$05
PASS
----
TID:$05 CID:$06
PASS
----
TID:$03 CID:$05
- Low sensor Voltage for switch time calculation
PASS

Last edited by 64coupedeluxe; Today at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added more information.
Advertisement
Old Today, 06:08 AM

o2 sensors @ 60m/hr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	527377  
Old Today, 06:12 AM

Do the o2 sensors and the Maf look like they are working properly?

The Maf flow rate goes up as the revs are increased.

What other tests could I perform as I don't want to just replace parts that I already have.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all that and any help you may be able to give me.

Brendon.
Old Today, 06:15 AM

Forgot to add the Fuel trim, this was at idle in drive after the drive cycle I completed this morning.

Fuel trim Bank 1 Sensor 1 -7.08%
Fuel trim Bank 1 Sensor 1 Short Term .703%

Both of those were bouncing around up to around 9.5%

o2 Sensor B1 S1 .11v up to .95v
o2 Sensor B1 S2 .11v, .12v, .13v (at idle as well)

As soon as I started driving this morning code P1188 came up as a pending fault.

Thanks again.

Last edited by 64coupedeluxe; Today at 06:27 AM. Reason: added more information.