Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old Today, 11:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 BMW 328i
m3 strut hats?

Hey guys I was reading this thread:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...or-your-E36-M3

Specifically this part:

"Option #2: BETTER
Swapped 96+ M3 upper strut mounts
- (free if you have a 96-99 M3, or about $75 used on bf.c)
- relatively easy to install
- gain about -2 deg. camber (about -2.75 deg total per side 95 M3s, 96+ M3s will gain more ~3.3 deg per side)
- camber not adjustable (what you get is what you get)"

Would this work for my 98 e36 bmw 328i? Or do I need m3 struts? Is there a place to order these or do I need to find used one? I'm not sure I fully understand what he is doing here.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin
Advertisement
Old Today, 12:08 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
It would work on your car. Why are you seeking to add negative camber?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old Today, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
It would work on your car. Why are you seeking to add negative camber?
For performance. I am trying to make a more track type setup on my car. Somewhere around 2.5-3 Neg Camber front, 2.5 Rear, 0toe front, and maybe 0.1 toe in rear or 0.05
Old Today, 12:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
If you need to replace the struts and were going to pull the strut assembly anyway, the M3 upper strut mount is a good way to get some additional negative camber. Instead of being in the center of the mount, the M3 bearing is offset toward the center of the car so it moves the top of the strut inboard which increases camber. For the amount of negative camber you're looking for, shimming the lower strut attachment point can achieve the same amount of camber change at much less cost and labor.
Both Turner Motorsports and Bimmerworld offer a shim kit. The Turner kit is a bit easier to install since they give you individual shim washers, but either can be installed in less than an hour.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-42...otorsport.aspx

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-fro...-kit-p610.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub_assembly_and_shims.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	478288  
Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
If you need to replace the struts and were going to pull the strut assembly anyway, the M3 upper strut mount is a good way to get some additional negative camber. Instead of being in the center of the mount, the M3 bearing is offset toward the center of the car so it moves the top of the strut inboard which increases camber. For the amount of negative camber you're looking for, shimming the lower strut attachment point can achieve the same amount of camber change at much less cost and labor.
Both Turner Motorsports and Bimmerworld offer a shim kit. The Turner kit is a bit easier to install since they give you individual shim washers, but either can be installed in less than an hour.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-42...otorsport.aspx

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-fro...-kit-p610.aspx
Thats good to know, i was planning on attempting to shim it. Not sure if ill run into tire clearance issues I have 17" 225 -45 tires. What size bolt is that? I can grind some nice flat washers Just need a longer bolt. I have it all apart right now changing control arms.

Thanks
kevin
Old Today, 01:15 PM

The bolts for the lower strut mounting are M12 x 20. You want to lengthen the bolt by about the same amount as the thickness of your shims. (Item 3 in this diagram). I had the same size tires on my E36 but I had ET20 Style 5 wheels so I had some built in clearance. Whether you'll have any issues will depend on what offset your wheels are. So long as you're got a bit of clearance between the shoulder of the tire and the lower spring mount you should be OK.
Old Today, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
The bolts for the lower strut mounting are M12 x 20. You want to lengthen the bolt by about the same amount as the thickness of your shims. (Item 3 in this diagram). I had the same size tires on my E36 but I had ET20 Style 5 wheels so I had some built in clearance. Whether you'll have any issues will depend on what offset your wheels are. So long as you're got a bit of clearance between the shoulder of the tire and the lower spring mount you should be OK.
Yeah sounds good I'll have to check it. Im not totally positive of the wheel offset as I bought the cars with the wheels on it. If i buy some bolts from a local hardware store do you think I would be okay? I may also add a locknut.
Old Today, 01:59 PM

Just ensure you buy same or better grade bolts. Lock nuts won't work for the two bolts in question, they go into blind holes in the hub casting. You do want to ensure you clean the threads in the hub and clean the bolt and use Red Loctite.