Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-05-2016, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325i
Vert top peeling

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I recently decided to take a shot at fixing up my aging convertible top.
The part I'm trying to fix right now is the edges around the rear window. My question is what products can I use to make the edge stick down and look good again, without ruining the integrity of the fabric. Thank you ahead of time, for your suggestions.
_a2_
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2016, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Unfortunately, your window may be on its way out. I had the same problem and a few months later the stitching around the window broke entirely and I had to get a new top. Gluing it would probably increase the life but I'd start looking into a new top or a window if you feel like sewing it in.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: pending
If i'm not mistaken from the picture you have a zip in rear window that has already been replaced once. If so, you do not have to worry about the window flying out any time soon due to the zipper but water may be your biggest problem + it looks like crap.

I've used this http://www.lowes.com/pd_105458-68-00...ductId=3006177 with good results. You just want to be able to apply pressure to both sides after you glue. I'll leave it to you to figure out how to do that.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
That's an aftermarket replacement window from emiata. They supply a bottle of the DAP contact adhesive to glue that outer flap down with. Looks like whoever installed the window just didn't get enough of the cement on both surfaces when they glued it the first time. If you use a Q-tip you can apply the glue in a fairly controlled manner. Just make certain both the surfaces are fully wetted with the contact cement. You don't need to glob in on, but you do want both sides to be fully coated. Just follow the DAP instructions as to how long to let it dry before you press the flap down. As 66 6 indicated it does help to have someone inside the car to support the top while you're pressing down the flap.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search