BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Chamois vs synthetic Chamois

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Imola Ed 
#1 ·
Never owned real Chamois, always made do with cotton towels, until recently when I bough (2) Synthetic Chamois's (One for the finish, the other for bumpers and rockers).

Now, the Syn. Chamois is really easy to care for, I also purchased some shampoo specifically for cleaning it, and about every 10-12 washes/drying cycles I clean them.

My question is, how easy/hard is real Chamois? Anyone ever use both? Which did you like better?

Incidently, 90% of my water comes off with a CWB, so the Chamois is just a touch up of sorts where the CWB can't get too.

#5 ·
I've used a few genuine chamois before, and have never had much luck with them. My #1 preference would be a P21S drying towell. My only complaint is that it seems to be shedding a bit after using maybe 8 times. It's still picking up water perfectly though.

#6 ·
i've used both, and prefer the synthetic by far. i'm not sure if it holds more water, but it is MUCH easier to wring out. my experience is that the real chamois tend to stick together when you wring them out. then it's a PITA to unravel them...kinda like saran wrap!!

#7 ·
I have never used a real Chamois.. Recently, I purchased the P21S drying towell which gets the stuff i miss with the California water blade and am very happy with it. I used to use this other synthetic towel called "the absorber" It was ok but the P21S drying towell does a better job.

#8 ·
have P21S synethic chamois and i don't think it's that effective. please note that i have never used real chamois so i don't know if the p21 is better or worse. the california water blade looks intriuging. i am thinking of getting that. anybody have experience with that product?

#9 ·
I have a real chamois and a water blade, I prefer the water blade.

The chamois isn't bad at all, however the idea of pulling a pile of skin over my car doesn't always sit well :)

I ditched it when I read that it is a known fact that real chamois will strip wax. The acids in it will strip the wax over time.

That being said, the california water blade works better, is quicker and easier to clean.

#10 · (Edited)
I bought the synthetic chamois & micro fiber drying towel from Griots.

Personally I like the towel better. Seems to absorb water better and I can just about do the whole car before I have to wring it out.

The chamios is nice, but has to be wrung out frequently, and seems to not pick up as much water as the towel

Here are links:
Chamois

Microfiber drying towel

#14 ·
Chipster said:

You're confident it won't scratch the paint? My only hesitation is that it will scratch the paint. :dunno:
The CWB is made of silicone, which isn't going to scratch your paint. But, if you don't do a thorough job of washing, and you leave dirt particles on your finish, then the CWB may drag those around and leave scratches. But, you're going to have the same problem drying with a chamois or synthetic chamois. The point is, make sure you car is clean before you dry it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.