Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-30-2006, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 318is
Strange Alarm problem

Hi all, my first post here
I have a 1997 318is and have just started to have a problem with the alarm.
Last night I was woken up by a high pitched noise outside, which i eventually tracked down to the car(thought it was the house alarm first) I unlocked and relocked it using the key fob and all was quiet. Just to mention this is not the normal alarm siren, just a high pitched scream.
Since then 90% of the time when I unlock the car with the key fob, I get this high pitched noise for approx 30 secs...

So any ideas, thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Is that a BMW or after-market alarm? Can you do some sort of re-set to it?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 AM

It is the factory fitted model. As with these things, its all working perfectly again today, I am not sure if that is good or bad.
I wouldnt know how to reset or do anything to it, the manual doesnt help much
Old 07-31-2006, 10:41 AM
The Dakar Dream

Mein Auto: bmw compact 2000 e36
mine did the same and got worse over time until i had to disconect it...in the end after replacing the siren box, the led and a load of other parts i finally managed to get hold of a new wiring loom containing the white plug that connects to the siren beside the front left head light...after cutting the old connector off and replacing it it all now works perfect so the earth connecter must have been rotten\ rusted ect..sorry i know this is long winded but it took me months of research and a hell of alot of money for what was essentially a cheap and easy prob to solve!! but this is of course a last attempt at sorting it if it continues to get worse!!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Quick fix?

One quick fix might be to disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes. That re-set my alarm system that was acting squirrely.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Thanks both of you for your advice.
Been perfect again for another day now. But if it does get worse at least I have some clues