Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to BimmerGuyFL
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
STAY AWAY from Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires.

Less then one month ago i got a set of 4 new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on my 2001 BMW 530i with 42,600 Miles. Ever since i have had problems with a shimmy and shaking and vibration coming in through out the steering wheel and car around 55 plus MPH. after having the wheels and tires road force balanced about 4 times from 2 different tire stores the problem never seemed to go away completely. After trial and error we have found out that the tires cause the shimmy when the car sat for a couple of hours without driving. When driving the car when the tires were cold it would take a good 10 to 20 minutes of driving to make the shimmy above 55 mph or so to go away. Michelin finally decided to buy back these tires and replacing them with Michelin Energy MXV4. Word to the wise do not consider getting the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on your 5 series. You don't want to go through what I did.
Ads by Google
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335ix, '13 S4
Just had the exact same tires put on my '06 330i to replace the hard as rock Bridgestone runflats.

Best tire swap I ever did. Handling is better (no shimmy whatsoever....at any speed). Tire noise is way down. The ride is eons better than the Bridgestones.

Don't know what caused the issues with your 5 series.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 530i, 350Z, 330i
Bridgestone RFTs

Graphicguy,
Curious why you replaced your Bridgestones on your 06 330i. What mileage did you get? My 06 330i has 18,400 and the fronts have feathered and are very noisey at 20-30 mph. I suspect front-end alignment (toe/castor) problem (ala Nissan 350zs). Local dealer says not covered under BMW or Bridgestone warranty. I am beginning to seek out a good non-RFT replacement tire.
Apanage
Old 08-08-2006, 06:09 AM

Apanage

As soon as I put about 500 hundred miles on the Bridgestones I noticed the tires started making a "helicopter" type sound. Dealership swapped the fronts to the rear. Same thing happened. On my last visit I also told the dealership that hitting any pockmark in the road caused a very sharp transmission into the cabin. The tires also felt "squirly" when I accelerated.

Finally, the BMW Service Manager asked me if I wanted to swap tires. I agreed. Originally, he was going to swap the Bridgestones for Continental run flats. They said since the runflats were what BMW stipulated to be used with the car, that they couldn't put any other tires on it except the Continentals to replace the Bridgestones. I had heard the Continentals were "OK". But, the sidewalls are so stiff on runflats, I didn't want anything to do with them.

I did a little research about other tires available and decided on the Michelin Exalto tires since they came with a 30-day money back guarantee if I didn't like them.

Went to a local tire store that carried them and got a quote for 4 of them. Dealership agreed to give me a $150/tire credit voucher use at the local tire store if the Bridgestones were returned to them. I had to kick in about another $50/tire to get the Michelins and for mounting & balancing them (about $200 total), but thought it was fair of the dealership and the tire store. Plus, the tire store is giving me free lifetime tire rotations.

Huge difference in noise level and ride quality. The Michelins are much quieter and ride much, much better. I didn't give up anything in the handling dept. If anything, the Michelins are a little more predictable, handling-wise. On top of all that, the Michelins come with a 45K treadwear warranty. The Bridgestone runflats have NO treadwear warranty.

Personally, I think BMW made a mistake by making the Bridgestone runflats as the OEM tire in these cars. I understand they did so to cut costs by not having to include a spare, but the runflats just don't seem to be well suited to these cars for whatever reason. I would imagine the wealth of other really good tires available to BMW that aren't runflats couldn't have cost BMW more than the Bridgestones.

I was a little worried about having a flat with no spare, but both the BMW dealership and the tire store said that as part of the car and tire warranty, they would flat bed the car during the warranty period if I ever had a flat (which I haven't had in about 20 years).

The local tire store also recommended the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S tires on my 330i. But, they didn't come with a treadwear warranty, either. So, I stuck with the Michelins.

Last edited by graphicguy; 08-08-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 AM

more about the Bridgestone run flats.....

Just as a quick note about those Bridgestone runflats....my local tire store had another vehicle in their shop with the Bridgestone runflats when I was getting my Michelins mounted.

While in the waiting room, I was talking to the guy who was having his replaced, too. He had a puncture and resultant flat. He didn't know he had a flat until his tire pressure monitor lit up and he heard a "whump" sound at the same time. By that time, his Bridgestone had totally disintegrated. I saw the tire. It was a real mess. It messed up his rim, too. Some of the tire actually had wrapped around his axle. He figured he went about 20 miles on the flat before he heard the huge "thump" sound and found his tire had totally disintegrated.

There are just way too many negatives to offset the positives with runflats. Some of them are a real safety issue, in my estimation.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
Less then one month ago i got a set of 4 new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on my 2001 BMW 530i with 42,600 Miles. Ever since i have had problems with a shimmy and shaking and vibration coming in through out the steering wheel and car around 55 plus MPH. after having the wheels and tires road force balanced about 4 times from 2 different tire stores the problem never seemed to go away completely. After trial and error we have found out that the tires cause the shimmy when the car sat for a couple of hours without driving. When driving the car when the tires were cold it would take a good 10 to 20 minutes of driving to make the shimmy above 55 mph or so to go away. Michelin finally decided to buy back these tires and replacing them with Michelin Energy MXV4. Word to the wise do not consider getting the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on your 5 series. You don't want to go through what I did.
I bought these tires from Tire Rack about a month ago and have put about 1000 miles on them. I am having the same shimmy issue on my 330XI. The dealer rebalanced them again today and it shimmys between 50 and 60MPH. Ugh!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci
I have Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on the front of car #2 ('94 Ford Probe GT) - when I change lanes at speed (65+), the amount of resulting tread squirm from the tires is appalling. They are definitely not anything like performance tires, and I wouldn't have them on anything wearing a BMW roundel....
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
A/S tires are a joke, they handle like garbage and spin easier than Puerto Rican racing slicks.

And Florida guy, who ever balanced your tires must be retarded, thats why you get a shimmy in the steering.

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM
dihedral

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I am (??) encouraged that Michelin provided you with some 'customer appreciation.' Some companies will completely ignore you. Now, maybe you really paid the price of tons of phone calls, letters, etc.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
I bought these tires from Tire Rack about a month ago and have put about 1000 miles on them. I am having the same shimmy issue on my 330XI. The dealer rebalanced them again today and it shimmys between 50 and 60MPH. Ugh!
UPDATE: The dealer did a road force balance on the tires. BMW likes the resulting number to be less than 23. All my tires came in at 3-14 for balance. Not sure what the scale for the number means. Anyhow, we drove it again and same issue. They now believe that the front thrust arm bushings have prematurely worn and will be replacing them this week under warranty. Overall, the tires feel great and I really like them. Just don't like the steering wheely shimmy at 50MPH.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
UPDATE: The dealer did a road force balance on the tires. BMW likes the resulting number to be less than 23. All my tires came in at 3-14 for balance. Not sure what the scale for the number means. Anyhow, we drove it again and same issue. They now believe that the front thrust arm bushings have prematurely worn and will be replacing them this week under warranty. Overall, the tires feel great and I really like them. Just don't like the steering wheely shimmy at 50MPH.
All fixed. They actually replaced the Control Arm Bushings. Tires are great.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330xi
Just purchased Eagle F1 A/S for 2005 330xi. Although I've only had them for about 200 miles, I've spent a good chunk of that time running between 60-80mph and haven't seen any shimmy or shake. They replace the factory Goodyear RS-A's, which I thought were decent althought they received terrible reviews on Tire Rack. My biggest complaint with the RS-A is they are noisy, especially on the highway. UNfortunately, the Eagle's seem louder (especially at 70 mph) and seem to ride a little harder. Cornering is improved, but for $200/tire I was hoping for a more dramatic improvement over stock tires.

The 330xi takes 205/50/17, I couldn't get the bridgestones in that size. Other recommendation?