Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-19-2002, 10:19 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quick review on Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads

Most of the same content is posted in the DIY forum, so if you're interested in more you can read it there too.

First of all, compared to OEM and Pagid pads these are DRAMATIC improvement, despite the fact the rear rotors aren't even biting due to a slightly lipped rotor. Fronts are fine but that's producing some brake DIVE. I will probably wait a few months before I take it on a track to really give it a work out.

Big plus for the cold stopping power. For most track or high perf pads, they're scary when cold. The Panther Plus has good initial bite when cold, almost as good as OEM pads if not better. Bigger plus for the cost...For higher performance TRACK pads these cost ~$230 including shipping. Bav Auto, TMS, and BMP D all charge about $300 a set for their high perf pads. About the same retail price as Performance Friction pads which Raffi really likes.

Minus for build quality. No place to put the brake wear sensor. Dusting is moderate, slightly worse than OEM from one day's use...I'm sure these will dust like a b***h on the track. The Carbotech guys were pretty honest in telling me that the big drawback with these high carbon content compound is the dusting. It is also noisier than stock and even the Pagids, which were pretty noisy to start with. I get a subtle FedEx truck like squeal when coming to a soft stop, it goes away after a hard brake application. Nothing like Raffi's PF's though, his car sounds like a train trying to stop and you can hear him coming a few blocks away. Stuka and I are now referring to Raffi's car as the FedEx truck now.

The Coefficient of Friction numbers are pretty impressive. It's .54-.58 within the operating temperature range. The Panther XP is .56-.60. My initial few stops confirm these figures. These pads are incredibly grabby. It almost feels like I've got a big brake kit on, it can easily brake the limit of adhesion on the S-03s which is kinda scary considering how incredibly sticky the S-03s are. Like I stated in the other thread, the Pagids require a significant pedal input to activate the ABS brakes, while these require moderate input.

Another big plus is how LINEAR the pad feels. The amount of braking is almost perfectly in proportion with pedal pressure once the pad is warmed up. I can easily control where the threshold is before it activates the ABS brakes which is very re-assuring. An odd behavior, which I have not experienced with OEM or the Pagid, is how it transitions from cold to hot. Coming off the freeway (after cruising for about 10 minutes without touching the brake at 80-85mph), on a long braking application it will go from cold to hot VERY QUICK and from moderately grabby and transisition to very grabby without moving the pedal. It was a very subtle effect but odd none the less. On the track it'll obviously be in operating temperature range all the time...I wonder if other people running performance pads have experienced this on the street.

On a very short term review, I give the pads a 9 out of 10. I will report back on a long term review after a few sessions on the track and also the wear of the pad and how dusty/noisy it is.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2002, 12:09 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Re: Quick review on Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads

Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK

I'm sure these will dust like a b***h on the track.
What makes you say that?
Old 11-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Re: Re: Quick review on Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads

Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci

What makes you say that?
Because the guy who sold me said that EVERYONE complained about the dust on these pads, even long time BMW owners. He was being a little sheepish when he said "if you don't mind the brake dust, you will LOVE these pads."
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:29 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Re: Re: Re: Quick review on Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads

Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK

Because the guy who sold me said that EVERYONE complained about the dust on these pads, even long time BMW owners. He was being a little sheepish when he said "if you don't mind the brake dust, you will LOVE these pads."
But, why do you think that if they dust a lot on the street, that will transfer to the track?

My OEMs never dusted much at the track, neither do the current MMs. Go look at most cars on track, including club racers. Their wheels have MUCH less dust than the average BMW you see on the street.

With 3/4ths pad off in 16 sessions: (yes, those are tire shards)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dust.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	4933  
Old 11-19-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Looks like they are similar to my Porterfield R4. High noise (though less than mine), high dust, great grabbing power. Mine also have the tendency to grab more instantly after the pads get a little hot, such as when getting off the freeway. The Porterfields also exceed the level of adhesion of my Kumho R-compounds!!! I will definitely need to check out your car on Friday.