Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent P View Post
My X3 is dead silent. I wipe the door seals a couple of times a year with Meguires NXT Tech Protect on a rag and it instantly stops the squeeking and it generally won't start coming back for at least six months. It seems to have a cumulative effect as well, since each time I apply it it seems to take a month or two longer before the squeeking shows faint signs of coming back.
Thanks! I went to http://www.meguiars.com/ and ordered some this morning. I'll report back to the thread with my results.

Much appreciated.

James
Seattle, WA

Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i

That sig pic is WAY too big James. The forum has limits on the maximum size you are allowed to use, it's listed where you apply the pic.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
The things that happen in unmoderated forums....
Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
Hi Guys,
I know this is an old thread; simply it is related to a recurring problem of our X3īs specially the early 2004s and 2005s.
I purchased recently my X3 and realized in spite of all the other satisfying issues related to this vehicle, an unpleasant and unacceptable rattle and squeaking door noises. After reading all the posts and realizing that there is a SIB related to this issue, (replacement of window guide seals and application of teflon tape), and since my X3 isnīt under warranty anymore, I performed a temporary solution that worked wonderfully: applied baby powder ( johnson and johnsonīs) on the flocking material of the window guides, that is the felt guides on the top of the doors. Baby powder is known to be an excellent lubricant for this kind of felt material. WHAT a BLESSING!! squeaking gone!!. No joke, it worked for my problem!
Then again for those out there that are out of a warranty ( or not!), tested all sorts of solutions that didnīt work, and want to save some bucks, try this. It could solve the problem. Only keep in mind that it is a temporary solution, since you would need to reapply the powder once in a while, or when the " cocktail mixer" starts again.
Also remember to keep all the rubber seals well lubricated with silicone products.
Ciao!!!
Martin
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2004
The END of the story
Thanks to Martin 5333

Take your BMW like a baby and rub the felt on top of the door with Johnson & Johnson baby powder. Small box costs $1 at Walmart. It's been working for me. I guess the reason of the squeek is that the window ends up closing too hard on the door frame and as a result the door frame squeek when rubbing with the body of the car. When I opened or crank the window opened a little, the sqeek disapear. You have the fix and the reason. Yes $1 baby powder. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
Old 09-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: United States
New X3

Hey guys, my wife and I just picked up an 04 X3 and were were astonished by how squeaky the car was. After finding this thread, I am convinced I am experiencing the same issue with the weather stripping. If I push on the outside of the window with my hand, I can hear that noise. It looks like Mcguiar's doesnt make that NXT stuff anymore so I guess I am going to try the 3M tape.

I was wondering if anyone in here can post pics of how the 3M tape was applied so I know exactly how to do it on our car.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: X3 Msport, 95 M3 & E39
The 3M tape is the only way I have found a fix for the door seal noise. Did it to the wifes X3 last week & now it is silent over rough roads. Going to do same thing on my E39 as its really bad.