Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 08-11-2006, 07:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to msquaredserver Send a message via AIM to msquaredserver Send a message via MSN to msquaredserver Send a message via Yahoo to msquaredserver
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
debadged... wtf?

I was driving to work the other day, and I saw what appeared to be some 5-series. I didn't see any badge on the back, so the first thing that flashed through my mind was: "Some 530 driver, trying to look punk with a debadged 5." Upon closing in on the car, I caught the trademark ///M side vents.

Now, before I ask, let me say, I think debadging is stupid. If you have a good engine or model, show it off. If you have maybe a 2.5 or a lower end 3.0 (215hp or whatever) what are you thinking? That by magically taking off the badge your car will give off the illusion or not being a small engine?

Now it completely boggles me that someone would take one of the most beautiful and prestigious badges off of a car they pay so much for. If I had an ///M, I'd fly a 5ftx5ft flag over my car, proclaiming to the world the glory that lies under my hood. That was exxageratory I know, but really, who here would do this to an ///M?

"A cat shall lead the dumb, and the dumb shall rejoice, but of course, they shall misspell their banners" -Bucky Katt
click for pics of my car
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
I know several people who've de-badged their ///M cars.

You don't pay for the badge, you pay for what the badge means. A fugging beastly engine, a perfectly tunned suspension (for the most part), an engine sound inside the cabin that keeps the radio volume low and the RPM high, and sheer high performance driving joy.

Well, I'm sure there are people who do buy ///M cars for the badge, but they're known as poseurs.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 08-11-2006, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: LR3 HSE
I hear some people do it to M cars because they are trying to keep a low profile with it. I guess it might help with jealous people wanting to key it, or steal it. I have read on bimmerfest that it is popular in Europe to debadge.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzap
I hear some people do it to M cars because they are trying to keep a low profile with it. I guess it might help with jealous people wanting to key it, or steal it. I have read on bimmerfest that it is popular in Europe to debadge.
Yeah, I would probably debadge a M car if I owned one for the stealthy look. I buy cars for my driving enjoyment, not for the neighbors to figure out what I am spending on them

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to msquaredserver Send a message via AIM to msquaredserver Send a message via MSN to msquaredserver Send a message via Yahoo to msquaredserver
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Quote:
I hear some people do it to M cars because they are trying to keep a low profile with it.
This I can mildly understand. But the grill ///M kinda defeats the purpose of this.

Quote:
but they're known as poseurs
I didn't say buy a car for that, or advertise, but being a poser for wanting people to know that you own a car that is one of the most phenominal machines on the road? Plus, the guy still had the M badge on the grille, so anyone that's even mildly familiar with BMWs would know, M5.

"A cat shall lead the dumb, and the dumb shall rejoice, but of course, they shall misspell their banners" -Bucky Katt
click for pics of my car
Old 08-19-2006, 01:02 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
I think debadging is stupid.
Stupid is as stupid does, as in making such a statement here.

Quote:
I know, but really, who here would do this to an ///M?
Plenty of people who are not attention whores, or......who don't want chrome plastic clutter all over the back of their cars. Also, I think it is safe to say that M cars are recognizable, before you get close enough to see the badge. So, what do you really need the badge for anyway?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
I like debadged cars.

Photobucket
Old 08-19-2006, 03:10 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Debadging is O.K. - as long as it's done professionally..
I've already seen some "debadged" cars that still had the nice glue on or very noticeable scratches...

Holes aren't that cool either, IMO...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: TiAg 330i 2006/E90 via ed
m cars are stolen quite frequently beause of the high performance parts which are then swapped into tuners/ricers

Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Old 08-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2 cars and a truck
If you saw an m5 without the badge, the guy probably took it off and sold it on ebay to help pay for his car!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6 Sport
I don't think i'd debadge unless something happened to make me want to. I guess it's all subjective. Maybe someone feels the same way you do about the badges when they see your car with neon ( not necessarily me).

BTW that's awesome that you have a carputer. Hows it workin' for you ?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: '88 e30 325is
Debadging is pretty stupid if you're doing it for security. Anyone who can successfully steal an M5, will know exactly what it is froma glimpse from 500 feet away. Removing the badge does nothing to deter them.

I think it is mostly to keep it it low key. If you want to race someone, and they're not a BMW fanatic and don't see the M badge, they'll think you're a chump. Then you can promptly shove their ego down their throats.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
If I was to get an M car (maybe my next car who knows) I'm definitely debadging it the stealth look is very hot.

If anything id put a 525i badge on it and destroy unwary ricers
Old 08-30-2006, 07:34 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Many (dare I say most?) BMW is Europe are debadged. In fact it is an option code (it is here too if you ask).
Old 09-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
I don't have a M, but I do want to debadge my 530xi. I'd rather it being the licence place frame.. it bothers me a bit where it is.

I am hesitent though.. seems disrespectable to the car.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
I don't have a M, but I do want to debadge my 530xi. I'd rather it being the licence place frame.. it bothers me a bit where it is.

I am hesitent though.. seems disrespectable to the car.
Aot at all. Not avertising what the car is isn't disrespectable. Disrespectable would be advertising something that the car *isn't* ...

i.e. M badges on a 525/325...whatever.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0/987S/997
I think I saw the debadged car u are speaking about in Livingston today. I was following it into a parking lot and spoke with the owner a few seconds after parking.

W/ or W/o the badge it is a stunning car.

And it looked cool wothout the badge IMHO.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Under Construction

Mein Auto: 1994 325i saloon
I don't own a M but I do think about debadging quite frequently I think it might balance out the rear of the car .
Old 09-19-2006, 02:16 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
I don't care about badges that come "naturally" with the car (540i, M5 etc.), what drives me nuts is when I see a car that is "overbadged" with advertising from the dealership where it was bought. So the dealer already made a profit, and now he wants free advertising on top of that. License plate frames that show the dealers name are O.K. because you can get rid of them quite easily, but it gets nasty as soon as they start pasting their badges on your paint....
Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
I debadged my car today. I couldn't find any "Goo Gone" which I'd used before, but Autozone had "Oops" which worked perfectly.

Will be posting pics this weekend (nearly one month of ownership now)

Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by msquaredserver
I didn't see any badge on the back, so the first thing that flashed through my mind was: "Some 530 driver, trying to look punk with a debadged 5." Upon closing in on the car, I caught the trademark ///M side vents.
I'm a 530i owner and I debadged. From a previous post I said this:

99% of the people on the road don't know or don't care what model the car is. Those that do will easily tell by looking at the wheels, pipes etc. Many may look at the non badge and figure it's a 525. If I were really worried about impressing people about what model it is, I probably would not debadge.

Quote:
Now, before I ask, let me say, I think debadging is stupid. If you have a good engine or model, show it off. If you have maybe a 2.5 or a lower end 3.0 (215hp or whatever) what are you thinking? That by magically taking off the badge your car will give off the illusion or not being a small engine?
There you go, the difference between you and me. I'm not interested in showing off.

Quote:
Now it completely boggles me that someone would take one of the most beautiful and prestigious badges off of a car they pay so much for. If I had an ///M, I'd fly a 5ftx5ft flag over my car, proclaiming to the world the glory that lies under my hood. That was exxageratory I know, but really, who here would do this to an ///M?
I of course don't have an ///M, but if I did, I'd debadge for the same reasons I debadged the 530i:

From a previous thread:

"The main idea behind this was to get the car to look more like the many E60s that we saw in Europe. It seemed like 90% of the cars we saw there were debadged."

I liked the way the E60s looked in Europe- Debadged with reflectors.

Other reasons"

1) Cleaner look (just an opinion, probably a minority opinion)
2) Do not have to deal with wax build up around numbers and letters

So, in summation, I'm well over 50 years old, own a debadged 530i, and never have tried to look "punk."

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i, ZHP
D-Badged M5

The previous M5 incarnation had an M Badge delete option. A few people actually specified on their order to have that option.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: E91 328 Touring (SPP)
Quote:
If I had an ///M, I'd fly a 5ftx5ft flag over my car, proclaiming to the world the glory that lies under my hood. That was exxageratory I know, but really, who here would do this to an ///M?
Get....tohhhhhhhhh!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
i saw an E60 debadged... but in its place, the owner had a custom badge with what im assuming was his initials SMJ.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
fightin' round the world

Mein Auto: 91' 318i / 90' 325i
i dont think there is anything wrong with debadging, i wouldn't do it myself, but i find no reason to criticize somebody for their taste, as i quite frequently say, to each their own, by the way, sc 540i,i love your signature, i'd love to see that in person!