Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: z-3
BMW-Z3 EEP-1 Code

I keep getting a EEP-1 code on my milage display.
What is it and how do I fix it?
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 523I Toruring, E36 Ca
Hi

I have the same Error. How did you fix it.

Mjuhl2003
Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z-3
Eep-1

[QUOTE=mjuhl2003;2599776]Hi

I have the same Error. How did you fix it.

60manoa
Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 1.9w/DAsupercharger
Gauges don't work "EEP-1" error displayed where odometer is...

I am getting the same error "EEP-1" as well. It seems like when my car is out of the shade on a hot day this happens. Sometimes after I drive it for awhile and then turn off and on my car the error goes away and I regain use of my gauges. I saw a "PDF" that is available on the internet that appears that this could of occured from a possible diagnostics tool, used by the engineer where I take my car, frying the instrument cluster.

http://www.distools.com/PDF_manuals/...nual%208.0.pdf

I had a downing atlanta supercharger installed in my Z3, which is advertised in Bimmer magazine. This lead me to have my EMU customized, which is standard procedure for performace tuners. Dinan, a more popular name with BMW performance, also has an EMU upgrade avaialble. I first thought that it had something to do with me getting these modifications but now I think I may need to replace the instrument cluster.

I see everyone asking about how to fix this issue but I haven't seen an answer. I now know I'm not the only one out there with this issue and I have suffered through it for two seasons and want it fixed. My mechanic apparently has no clue and I could realy use some feed back from someone.

Thank You,

Eric Nelson

Last edited by digit_ill; 06-15-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335xi
Question me too!

I am having the same problem on my 2000 z3. If it sits in the shade I get the EEp 01 error code and my gauges do not work. If it is in the sun for a while everything works. Has anyone had this repaired or diagnosed?

I appreciate the help.

-Matt
Old 04-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by digit_ill View Post
I am getting the same error "EEP-1" as well. It seems like when my car is out of the shade on a hot day this happens. Sometimes after I drive it for awhile and then turn off and on my car the error goes away and I regain use of my gauges. I saw a "PDF" that is available on the internet that appears that this could of occured from a possible diagnostics tool, used by the engineer where I take my car, frying the instrument cluster.

http://www.distools.com/PDF_manuals/...nual%208.0.pdf

I had a downing atlanta supercharger installed in my Z3, which is advertised in Bimmer magazine. This lead me to have my EMU customized, which is standard procedure for performace tuners. Dinan, a more popular name with BMW performance, also has an EMU upgrade avaialble. I first thought that it had something to do with me getting these modifications but now I think I may need to replace the instrument cluster.

I see everyone asking about how to fix this issue but I haven't seen an answer. I now know I'm not the only one out there with this issue and I have suffered through it for two seasons and want it fixed. My mechanic apparently has no clue and I could realy use some feed back from someone.

Thank You,

Eric Nelson
Did you finally get a fix for your EEP error code on your Z3?. Mine has the same problem...

Thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
I'll take a stab at this just for information's sake and to see if anyone can add to or clarify:

EEP-1 seems to indicate that position one of the EEPROM is ready to be read/written to for a mileage change/update. One tach update manual indicates to access two pins internal to the cluster to initiate this condition ("EEP-1"). Because it seems that it appears for you and others when a severe heat cycle occurs, I would guess that you have some bad solder joints, etc. that are expanding and contracting with the temperature.

If, this is the problem, it would be very hard to diagnose. Typically, in electronics work, a heat gun and/or cold air can be concentrated on suspected joints to see if the problem occurs. Seems you would need someone fairly well versed in the above topics to find the faults.

If it's just a one time thing, I would not pursue a fix. If it's actually stuck in that mode, the dealer should be able to help with the true meaning of the "EEP-1".

Some info links:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&highlight=eep
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...lin-62674.html
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/z3/7272700-1.html

As some of the above links indicate replacement of the cluster to fix the problem, I would, at a minimum, remove the cluster and clean all of the contacts and then insert, remove, insert to improve the contact. This would help if it was a bad external connection but not if it's a bad internal connection.

Mention of a BMW Service Bulletin here:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/z3/610365-1.html

BMW tech here mentions it's an internal fault code:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...ode-eep-2-2001

Last edited by Monolith; 04-06-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes Benz E320 CDI
Solution for eep-1

Hello Community

I am not a BMW Fan, I am driving a Mercedes Benz E 320 CDI, my English is not so well and I live in Germany.

The problem that you have is a critical error in the Database of the Brain of Speedometer.

Solution:

1. Go to the next Company or Call a professional Person for manipulating of speedometers.

2. The Company/Man have to connect his Mileage correction Item with the Mainboard of the Speedometer via solder or clip.

3. Now he must set the clip on the EEPROM Chip who locted on the Mainboard.
On the Chip you can see the label "93CS56".

4. Now he must read the EEPROM and he HAVE TO take a backup of the EEPROM Data.

5. Next Step is RESETING all the EEPROM Data. (0000 0000 0000 0000 0000...)

6. Now he have to send the reseted EEPROM on the Chip via Clip. (93CS56)

7. When he finished this, he have to put together the Speedometer.

8. The last step is to programming the Mileage over the Item with a Cable.

9. Blue Connector of Cable in the Blue port in the back of the Cluster.

10. And holding the 3-PIN Connector in the 4-Hole port at the back of the Cluster
on the left side.

11. Software Connecting with the Speedometer - Changing Mileage.

12. FINISH

I hope everyone are happy now

PS: The same technique you can do on a BMW E36 Year: 1992 - 1994, but read EEPROM without Clip, but spring the encoder on the left side of Cluster. Put the Encoder in a adapter that is connected with the Mileage/Eeprom Item:

Backup - Reset EEPROM - Write Reseted EEPROM on the Encoder - Remove Adapter - Put the Encoder back in the Cluster - Cable of Mileage Item have to connected with cluster - BLUE Connector in Blue Port - 3-PIN Connector in 4-Hole Port - Software Connection with Speedometer - Changing Mileage = FINISH!

Best wishes from Germany and the Benz driver