Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 03 330ci
Question regarding pickup.

When you pickup your car at the ED center do you show your passport and drivers license or just your passport?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2002, 02:39 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
I usually show'em one or the other. Which ever one is "handy".

Why do you ask?? Do you NOT have a drivers License??

beewang
Old 11-21-2002, 02:58 PM

I do however my situation is a bit complicated. I placed 2 orders for 2 bmws and according to my sales guy you are only allowed to purchase 1 car/year/household. So for 1 order we used my homeaddress with my sisters name and the other order we used my business address. Today I recieved the ed package in the mail and it said to bring my passport and my drivers license. Problem is that my drivers license has my home address and not my business's address. So when both of us show up to pick up the car and if they want to the drivers license both of our addresses will be the same. If they ask for passport only then that will be fine as there will be no address on that. So I was just wondering what they really ask for so I know wether or not to go get the address changed to my business on my drivers license.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:44 PM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
So you're saying that you and your sister live at the same address and both of you are ordering ED? If that's the case, I don't think that is going to be any problem.

But if you're "borrowing" your sister's name for the order, then you know that she has to be physically present there to pick up the car.

It's my understanding that they only check to make sure that the name on the order matches the name on the driver license or passport and not the address.

When I was there, they asked for my passport only.

ian

Last edited by roots; 11-21-2002 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:54 PM

I bought her the car, so one is hers and one is mine. Yes we live at the same address. She will be there also to pick up the car.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:03 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally posted by newbiedoobiedoo
I do however my situation is a bit complicated. I placed 2 orders for 2 bmws and according to my sales guy you are only allowed to purchase 1 car/year/household. So for 1 order we used my homeaddress with my sisters name and the other order we used my business address. Today I recieved the ed package in the mail and it said to bring my passport and my drivers license. Problem is that my drivers license has my home address and not my business's address. So when both of us show up to pick up the car and if they want to the drivers license both of our addresses will be the same. If they ask for passport only then that will be fine as there will be no address on that. So I was just wondering what they really ask for so I know wether or not to go get the address changed to my business on my drivers license.
You are barking on something I have experince w/

Here's the deal:
1) ED is 1 per Family, per six months (not 1 per year)
2) If you don't live with your sister, then you are not consider to be in the same family **wink** wink**
3) The delivery staff in Freimann could give a $hit where your address is. They only care that they hand the keys to the person's name on the ED Purchase Order.

Here in Amerika we are allow to own more than one house, thus a person can have more than one address. Ask me how I know

Don't worry, just have fun taking delivery w/ your sis out in Vaterland.

beewang

2000 Ed 540ia Jet Blk
2000 ED 540ia Orient Blue
2001 ED 330cic Orient Blue
2002 M5 LeMans
2002 ED 330cic Steele Blue
2002 ED 330cic Titanium Sliver
2003 ED 330cic Steele Blue (arriving Cutters 12/6)
2003 ED 330cic Titanium Silver(Arriving Cutters 12/6)

Last edited by beewang; 11-21-2002 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:10 PM
Bo-ma-win!

BTW When are you going ?? and what are you picking up??

also, I sure hope you orederd at least 1 car w/ Nav in it!!

Prost!!

beewang

Last edited by beewang; 11-21-2002 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330 cic ED
beewang, be sure to post some pics of the steel blue CiC... I'm thinking about that color .....

what options did you order?
Old 11-21-2002, 04:22 PM

I'm actually going on a european tour which starts dec 28 and ends around jan 20th. The tour will be in munich on jan 11 and 12 and my pickup is on the 13th. So I will be leaving the tour early to pickup the cars on the 13th.

My sisters car she got
03 330i steel gray, pp, step, rear side airbags.

Myself I got
03 330ci orient blue, pp, sp, step, side bags, xenon, and dvd nav.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:37 PM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
Quote:
Originally posted by beewang

You are barking on something I have experince w/

Here's the deal:
1) ED is 1 per Family, per six months (not 1 per year)
2) If you don't live with your sister, then you are not consider to be in the same family **wink** wink**
3) The delivery staff in Freimann could give a $hit where your address is. They only care that they hand the keys to the person's name on the ED Purchase Order.

Here in Amerika we are allow to own more than one house, thus a person can have more than one address. Ask me how I know

Don't worry, just have fun taking delivery w/ your sis out in Vaterland.

beewang

2000 Ed 540ia Jet Blk
2000 ED 540ia Orient Blue
2001 ED 330cic Orient Blue
2002 M5 LeMans
2002 ED 330cic Steele Blue
2002 ED 330cic Titanium Sliver
2003 ED 330cic Steele Blue (arriving Cutters 12/6)
2003 ED 330cic Titanium Silver(Arriving Cutters 12/6)
Bee, do you already have 6 BMW's in your family?? Are yours on Global Leader due to dock at Port Hueneme on 12/6?

ian
Old 11-21-2002, 04:39 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally posted by jrubens
beewang, be sure to post some pics of the steel blue CiC... I'm thinking about that color .....

what options did you order?

This was the old one (2002) Picture and car curtesy of Jon Shafer.

After a couple cars, I realize there is just no way to short change on options.
Sports Pkg: A must for the sports car oriented BMWs
Premium Pkg : A must for a Luxury car such as BMW
Cold Weather Pkg: The ultimate in luxury car, a must for convertibles.
Park Distance: For a mere $300, its an investment if it saves you just ONCE.
Navigation: You don't know what you're missing until you've driviin' a car w/ Nav.
Bi-Xenon's : Same comment as Nav.

beewang
Old 11-22-2002, 08:25 AM

Acutally, Steel Blue with Black Interior and Blue Roof is exactly what I'm contemplating....

I'm planning on all options except, possibly, the cold weather package. I'm going to order heated seats, but am not sure that I need the headlight washers... definitely don't need a ski bag in New Orleans....

any thoughts?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:22 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Here's my opinion (and strictly my opinion)
The price difference of CWP vs. just heated seats is around $120. Frankly, it really isn't much, and:

1) You can always tell when someone is a "cheapskate" when you don't see that headlight washer by their xenons.

2) For resale value, I think if gives you an edge over the next guy (on private party sales) since the $120 in price difference gives me a slight edge, I am all for it.

that's just my opinion. YMMV

beewang

P.S. We have the grey interior.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
CWP

Quote:
Acutally, Steel Blue with Black Interior and Blue Roof is exactly what I'm contemplating....

I'm planning on all options except, possibly, the cold weather package. I'm going to order heated seats, but am not sure that I need the headlight washers... definitely don't need a ski bag in New Orleans....

any thoughts?
JReubens,
(It's your fellow Greenie again, chiming in)
I agree with beewang and recommend going with the whole CWP.
I personally like the headlamp washers with the Xenon lamps.
Also, the ski bag is kind of nice if you ever want to cary some long items in the car (I'm assuming a Cic doesn't have fold-down seats).

The heated seats are pretty sweet on a convertible. I drove my mom's Cic about 700 miles with the top down on blustery October day and the heated seats made a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	5067  
Old 11-24-2002, 09:58 AM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

oops

Sorry, didn't mean to mispell your name, Jrubens.

By the way, have you considered steel blue with natural brown interior? It's what I have on my 325 xit and it's a great combination.

I assume with a Cic you'd still have the black top. The benefit inside is that it breaks up the monotony of black, but you still get a black dash, have black carpet, etc.

(It's a no-cost special order to get Steel blue/ nat brown combo)

I can post some links if you want to see it.

-AC
Old 11-24-2002, 05:31 PM

I am a little worried about the amount of space the ski bag will take up in the trunk of a CiC.... does anyone have any information on that?

Uter: As for colors, I was actually thinking about black interior and blue top. I was worried about the combination, but the pics I've seen (mainly on the BMW website) seem to be alright. I really like the blue roof with the SB exterior... it's a nice combination.

I currently have a white exterior with a black interior and I really like the black leather, which seems to hold up a lot better than my father's grey or my step-dad's tan..... of course, NB may hold up better....

I don't have any strong feelings about the headlight washers. I've heard they are a pain sometimes, but given the amount of time I spend in the car, perhaps useful.

beewang: my apologies re your interior color id... it looked black to me, perhaps because the roof was closed in the pic.....

Uter: At this point I am certain of two things: (1) I have to start contacting dealers in January to make the deal and have time for a mid May pickup in Munich and (2) I doubt I'll be going with Peake, because of all the horror stories with them. Maybe Brian Harris or Garlyn Shelton in Texas, depending on the deal.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:32 PM

oh, uter, definitely heated seats... how else can I drive to LSU games with the top down in October?

Good one last night against Ole Miss, by the way.... won by one. If only the Saints could have done something good today. Oh well.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:48 PM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Quote:
oh, uter, definitely heated seats... how else can I drive to LSU games with the top down in October?

Good one last night against Ole Miss, by the way.... won by one...
Dude, gotta admit, I was pulling for Eli. I mean, that's a loyalty I can't cast aside.

(Meanwhile, my hapless 'Heels rattle around in the ACC basement).

As far as the ski sack taking up space, it doesn't take up any since it squishes up. It has handy hinged panel that release to give you acces when you want it. Otherwise, it's hidden behind the armrest's little leather flappy-thing. I've used it on my mom's Cic for things like big poster tubes, misc. Thule rack parts, and some shelving. Just makes things a little more versitile.

With regards to ED for a Cic. Is the $1000 to $1500 over ED invoice a "do-able" price for a car with high demand?
Old 11-24-2002, 06:32 PM

I understand about rooting for Eli, but the SEC West is on the line. Besides, he won last year.

Alright, I'm convinced. Guess I'll have to add the CWP.

Regarding price, Jon seemed to think so when I posted to him. I've also gotten some good feedback about Garlyn Shelton in Temple, Texas....

I'll let you know when I start trying to do the deal....

Does anyone know when the new pricing information will come out (the 1/2 year increases)?
Old 11-24-2002, 06:50 PM
Bo-ma-win!

I am not sure about "1/2 year" increase in prices. Of course price is always subject to change, but in the past 4 years, I am NOT aware of any mid-model- year price increase w/ BMWs. I seriously doubt there will be one, as the pricing for 2003 MY just went up for appx. $500~$600 over 2002 MY.

$1,500 over invoice is an EXCELLENT deal. It will be tough to get $1,000 over thou, I know I wouldn't do it if i were in BMW sales. Its just too much work for too lil' money (about $200 IN gross commision).

beewang
Old 11-24-2002, 07:56 PM

Well, they have to add in the price for bluetooth, which I'm definitely getting....

From what I understand, $1000 to $1500 is doable... I'll be sure to let you know, though, beewang. I'm not going to start the process until January, though.... trying to gather information at this stage
Old 11-25-2002, 09:59 AM
BMW

Mein Auto: 2004 330 CIC
I'll be ordering 2003 330CIC next month for anticipated mid to late May pickup. I have two offers in the 1300-1500 over ED invoice price. Just a matter how far I am willing to travel to pick up.

Plan on travel to Munich and southern points. To those who have done it. Is mid May still cool in the area of Germany. I can change to June if so.

Contemplating purchasing windscreen and alarm(CIC model) in Germany. Any experiences with these purchases, costs where to do .
Old 11-25-2002, 07:21 PM
Grabastic Slug

Send a message via AIM to kneebiters
Mein Auto: '12 335i, Luxury + KS
Jrubens and Loubct:

I am scheduled for May 14th pickup. Perhaps we'll be there together, and our babies will travel west on the same boat!

I was looking into the 330CiC, but went with the 530i (convertibles and the state of Massachusetts are not compatible). Given the change in model, your milage may vary; however, I was able to strike a deal $1,200 over invoice. I had to travel to Maryland to do it, but that was the deal.

Loubct - I am traveling from Munich to Switzerland, over the hills to Italy, cruising the Dolomites, then over the hills again to Austria. When you say "southern points", I'm not sure how souther you mean. If you plan to go over the alpine passes at that time of year, a) it will be cold, b) some may be closed due to ice and snow, and c) don't fantasize about cruising around the alps with your top down - you'll be kicking the seat warmers.

I should disclaim at this point that I haven't ever done this, so I am speaking only from research, not experience.

Check out:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...244020617.html

and

http://www.natives.co.uk/travel/selfdrive.htm
Old 11-26-2002, 12:35 AM
BMW

Mein Auto: 2004 330 CIC
Kneebiter: Thanks for the comments. I do not have a definite date at this time, which leads to the question. When did you place your order with the dealer? My conversation with the dealer states the he requires a date from me when I want to pick up the car. However he will not get an official production date from BMW until app. 3 months from pick up date. Does this mean I can't purchase airline tix until 3 months from pickup date. What is your situation.

I originally planned for early May pickup so that I would have car in US by July. I have been rethinking recently, and currently plan on mid to late May. (We still may be on the same ship).

Current plan is two nights in Munich, two in Berchtesgaden, travel on Alpine Route to Schwangau (Castle area) for two nights and noth to Rothenburg for a couple of nights. Return to Munich for dropoff.

I am purchasing 330 CIC for $1300 over ED invoice in New York state. I am pretty sure who you may be getting your car from in MD. Best of luck to you and hope to share experiences/thoughts leading up to travel day
Old 11-26-2002, 06:55 AM
Bo-ma-win!

I am not Kneebiter, but I can answer the question for you

Once you've decided on a date, you need to tell your dealer, he then calls the ED office who "penciles" you in the schedule. ED office will check the date w/ Munich delivery center's schedule to confirm. Once Munich replies " Yeah, we should be okay" to Ed office of BMW NA, Ed office will call your dealer and say "yeah, its a go!". This is about 99.99% certain that your date is confirmed. Oh!! You really ought to do this at least 3 months before the date you want to pick up.

A couple things about the airfare and model year:

1) Airfare is usually cheapest around 4~6 weeks before your depature date. Buying ticket 3 months out (or more) will ensure you looking foolish later, (ask how I know
) But do NOT wait until last minute (i.e. 3 weeks before) because you could be REALLY screwed on the airfare.
2) Mid May is the beginning of tourist season, be prepare to pay (alot) more then the current winter fare of $380 round trip tickets.
3) Beware that model change usually occur in July/August, thus by the time your car arrive stateside probably in June/July, new model year cars will be here just 2 months later.

hope this helps, and have fun in Vaterland

beewang