Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Pictures of Size 49D Battery Installation

For 'most' of our cars the factory battery is size 94. This is a very expensive battery, running from $120-$180 depending on where you get it.

But it has also been discussed that a size 49 battery will fit in most E46 cars (not convertables to my knowledge), and is half the price of the OEM size battery. I got to test this first hand today as my OEM battery failed after 6 years and 2 months (never did any maintenance on it).

Picked up an Autozone Duralast 49-DL for $60, with a 7 year warrenty. The size 49 is more powerful than the OEM 94, but is a different size. It is about 1" longer and 1/2" not as tall. In most cars the battery tray is already designed to accept the longer battery.

The First picture is the old OEM size 94 battery. You may notice the extra space to the right of the battery.

The Second picture is the battery tray (battery removed) and on the right side you can see a while plastic spacer/stop. Remove this and you now can use the full size of the battery tray.

The only other issue is the hold down which is a clamp on top of the battery. In the third picture you can see where I used a 3/4" piece of plywood attached to the underside of the clamp. 1/2" would work as well. There already were 3 holes in the clamp I used to iinstalled 3 small screws to keep the wood from slipping (probably not ciritical). Make sure they are shorter than the thickness of the wood. If you car holds the battery from the bottom flange, this step is likely not necessary.

In the final picture is the 49 battery installed ready to go. The OEM battery has the vent tube attached near the + terminal, on the Duralast it is in the center of the battery (top of picture just under clamp). Connects right up using the kit that's included.

Hope this has been helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM Size 94 Battery.JPG
Views:	11226
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	83977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remove this white filler for a size 49 battery.jpg
Views:	4572
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	83978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery hold down bracket with wood spacer.JPG
Views:	3231
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	83979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duralast 49DL Installed.jpg
Views:	5613
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	83980  
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2006, 05:00 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Thanks for the good explanation on switching to the new battery size. I take it the new battery is operating fine? (Well, I can't think of any reasons it wouldn't, but.... )

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Yes working perfectly (m)

Yes working perfectly. Of course it's only been installed for 10 hours. I also have the Duralast 49D battery in my 540iT and it's been fine for nearly a year now. Power demands on that car are much higher. You all should know in most instances the store is going to tell you the 49D is the wrong battery.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to ibaj
KeithS - Thank you for your post. You saved me about $300 as the dealership wanted $388. I will share your post with other BMW owners I know.

Thanks again,
Andy

Andyman
Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Asshole

Mein Auto: 325i Sedan
good info, thanks for the post

2002 Silver 325i Sedan- 18" Black/Polished lip M3 Replicas, Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors
2003 Sonic Blue Whipple Cobra- Obscene amount of mods 630RWHP 589RWTQ---SOLD
Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Great post! Very generous of you to post up something so useful for all of us!

I have never removed my battery, but can I just sit the battery on top of the plywood? I'm assuming this just takes up the slack between the top and the holding bracket. So this way the battery can just sit higher off the floor, and there is no need to drill the wood.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: E30 325i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
For 'most' of our cars the factory battery is size 94. This is a very expensive battery, running from $120-$180 depending on where you get it.

But it has also been discussed that a size 49 battery will fit in most E46 cars (not convertables to my knowledge), and is half the price of the OEM size battery. I got to test this first hand today as my OEM battery failed after 6 years and 2 months (never did any maintenance on it).

Picked up an Autozone Duralast 49-DL for $60, with a 7 year warrenty. The size 49 is more powerful than the OEM 94, but is a different size. It is about 1" longer and 1/2" not as tall. In most cars the battery tray is already designed to accept the longer battery.

The First picture is the old OEM size 94 battery. You may notice the extra space to the right of the battery.

The Second picture is the battery tray (battery removed) and on the right side you can see a while plastic spacer/stop. Remove this and you now can use the full size of the battery tray.

The only other issue is the hold down which is a clamp on top of the battery. In the third picture you can see where I used a 3/4" piece of plywood attached to the underside of the clamp. 1/2" would work as well. There already were 3 holes in the clamp I used to iinstalled 3 small screws to keep the wood from slipping (probably not ciritical). Make sure they are shorter than the thickness of the wood. If you car holds the battery from the bottom flange, this step is likely not necessary.

In the final picture is the 49 battery installed ready to go. The OEM battery has the vent tube attached near the + terminal, on the Duralast it is in the center of the battery (top of picture just under clamp). Connects right up using the kit that's included.

Hope this has been helpful.
You could have just got a longer screw/bolt for the center of the hold down instead of using wood.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Thanks for posting this

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 04-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Do not put wood under the battery

Do not put wood under the battery (only on top). You are raising it out of the battery tray that holds it in place.

A longer screw might work but it looked special in the way it was machined to sit into the plate that holds down the battery. Plus I had the wood, would have had to make a trip to the store for a metric screw.

PS. The Duralast Batteries in both BMW's are still doing just fine...
Old 04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Bring the 'fest to Dallas

Send a message via AIM to Buyse13
Mein Auto: 01 325i ZSP
I might have to do this for my car as well. seems worth it imo.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Good info. The Duralast 49DL seems to be a popular and cost effective choice for the E46 cars. I also understand that it's lighter than the OEM battery. This is the route I'll be taking when my stock battery finally kicks it (it's actually my second; the first was replaced under warranty four years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaj View Post
KeithS - Thank you for your post. You saved me about $300 as the dealership wanted $388. I will share your post with other BMW owners I know.

Thanks again,
Andy
$388!

Typical stealership. $1500 for brakes. $1200 for an OEM clutch. $150 for oil change. The list goes on...
Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325CI
The 49DL Works Like a Charm

I had unfortunately run into the dead battery issue and walked into autozone looking for a replacement. I originally came on here to find some alternative suggestions and found that the 49DL works. I was a bit skeptical b/c of the mentioned size difference, but the price difference (over the 94) caught my attention and I went with it.
I went home, took out the stock and replaced it with the 49DL. I made sure to play with the battery exhaust tube and attach that. The battery as a whole was a snug fit, but it was fine. Two months later, the car is running great, and the $60 was well worth it. I'm handy, but certainly no mechanic, and I feel it was an easy switch.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325 CI Cabrolet
I have been searching and may have missed my answer but I am having same problem. I need a battery. Mine is a 2001 325 ci but it's a convertible. Does autozone have a battery for the convertible . Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:36 PM

My understanding is that the convertable does not have the extra large battery tray and the 49D will not fit. You will need to match the size exactly (not sure if its a 94 or not)Either way autozone likely has a replacement, that will be less $$$ than the dealer but more than $60.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i
Thanks for the step by step instructions and pictures

I just installed mine by following the OP's instructions, it went smoothly. The 49DL looks pretty long on the store shelve, compared with what I see in my trunk. But actually the 49DL measures 13.5 inch long , while the OEM battery is 12.5 inch. OP's pictures confirms that my 2001 325i is identical to his and it should work fine. But I had to use 1/2 inch thick board since 3/4 inch seems to be too thick.

However, I just paid $89.99 + $12 for core, the total comes to $110.91 with tax in the San Francisco area.

So if you guys are still paying $60 for the same battery in your area, don't ever consider moving over here.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 AM

Yes, Just checked, price went up a little

Here in NJ, price is now $69.99 plus $12 for the core. You get the core $$ back so that should not count in the price of the battery. I always bring the old battery with me when I pick up the new one. It saves the extra trip plus I get the core $$ back on the spot.

Have no idea why lead and plastic should cost more in CA than NJ. Think the batteries are made in Mexico so they should be cheaper (less transportation costs)
Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Jaydeals,

No worries! I paid the same price as you and I live in Orange County, CA. The salesman told me they found a lot of BMW OEM Batteries being returned, so the raised the price. The killer part was they charged me CA Sales Tax on the core charge and I didn't get the tax back when I returned my old battery.

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA !!

Andyman
Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Glad to be here

Mein Auto: 2004 Jet Black 325i
I don't get it. We purchased a $30K automobile with sensitive computers and electronics and you guys take a chance with a non-OEM/non-matching battery from Autozone held down with a scrap piece of wood; to save $70.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
I don't get it. We purchased a $30K automobile with sensitive computers and electronics and you guys take a chance with a non-OEM/non-matching battery from Autozone held down with a scrap piece of wood; to save $70.
Alternative question - If a product works as good as OEM (as proven by 100s of people here and on e46fanatics), why would you spend more? To prove to yourself that you can afford it?

I didn't need the wood, by the way. My OEM clamp works just fine and holds it down tight.

Do you buy BMW branded car wash from the dealer?

Last edited by KrisL; 10-15-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
gashlycrumb

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Alternative question - If a product works as good as OEM (as proven by 100s of people here and on e46fanatics), why would you spend more? To prove to yourself that you can afford it?

I didn't need the wood, by the way. My OEM clamp works just fine and holds it down tight.

Do you buy BMW branded car wash from the dealer?
+1 49DL fit for me as-is, no retrofits needed.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Format c:\*.* /y

Mein Auto: '01 330i
Quote:
You do realize that that there's absolutely no reason to believe that the battery that shipped with a BMW is any better or even as good as ones you can find at an Autozone right? Duralast batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls, the same company that makes the batteries labeled as Optima, Die Hard, EverStart, and more. Your "OEM" battery could be made by Douglas or Varta. If I was to take a guess, I'd say that BMW chose the least expensive battery that met their criteria, not the absolute best at any price.

If there's any chance to be taken, it would be in buying a battery from a dealership that might have sat on the shelf for months before you bought it. Auto parts stores on the other hand tend to have a pretty high turnover and your odds of getting a fresh battery are much higher. Every auto parts store I've seen has their batteries on a rack that gets stocked from the back and pulled from the front so you never have one going flat at the back of the shelf. Every dealership I've been in the parts room of (2 Porsche dealerships, Lotus, Honda, Mercedes, etc...) just keeps them on regular shelves. This means that you might end up with a battery that's pretty crusty before you even install it.

Sounds to me like you can't lose with the 49DL. It's got higher CCA rating, it costs less money, and you've got better odds of getting a fresh battery, not to mention that most people have a dozen Autozones that are all closer than their nearest BMW dealership...
Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Talking

Quote:

You don't need to "get it!" Just spend your $$ on a NON-PERFORMANING part and I'll save my money. I'm the first one to spend top dollar on important parts that will affect safety or compromise performance. I spent over $1,300 on tires and $1,200 on new brakes, but I refuse to spend top dollar to have my BMW start.

By the way, I was able to use the battery without wood or anything else to make the cheaper battery work for me.

Andyman
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaj View Post
You don't need to "get it!" Just spend your $$ on a NON-PERFORMANING part and I'll save my money. I'm the first one to spend top dollar on important parts that will affect safety or compromise performance. I spent over $1,300 on tires and $1,200 on new brakes, but I refuse to spend top dollar to have my BMW start.

By the way, I was able to use the battery without wood or anything else to make the cheaper battery work for me.
+1. It makes sense to spend more money on a lot of things. Your battery is not one of them.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
It's a car, not a spacecraft.

I also suggest you take a look at some of these OEM parts with your own eyes. Quite a few of them are of mediocre quality at best.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Quote:
I personally prefer getting a larger, stronger battery than the oem battery so that is a good enough reason to go with the autozone battery over the oem battery by itself.

Im going to wait till mine dies or gets weak before changing it, though if an optima battery would fit Id change it now