Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: ls
ipod dice

thinking about getting an ipod and the intergration kit. i've got an 06 x3 no nav no sat prep. i'm starting from scratch no ipod or anything. plan on loading some cds on the ipod and downloading music in the future. probably get a nano that will hold 1000 songs. with the ice link will i need to purchase any extra cables or accesories? any advice from those who have set this up will be appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 09-05-2006, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: audi
If you are only getting a nano, you are much better of just burning mp3 cds. Your standard cd player does play mp3s. Two CDs will hold as much as the nano, and your total cost will be about $1...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:03 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by robey1 View Post
thinking about getting an ipod and the intergration kit. i've got an 06 x3 no nav no sat prep. i'm starting from scratch no ipod or anything. plan on loading some cds on the ipod and downloading music in the future. probably get a nano that will hold 1000 songs. with the ice link will i need to purchase any extra cables or accesories? any advice from those who have set this up will be appreciated.
Nothing additional will be needed, this is the kit you need:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=268

I would recommend getting the largest iPod you can afford - the storage space will be worth it. The 30G Video (7500 songs) is only $50 more than a 4Gb nano.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
The dice kit should not require any extra cables. You can find it online at several places including Europeanautosource dotcom
I have a nano and love it. Mp3 cd's are not nearly the same thing. You can have podcasts, audiobooks, photos, and you can rearrange your music with the click of a mouse. Mp3 cd's indeed! BTW I use the aux input and it works well, but the dice gives much better intergration with your factory radio. I can't see getting the dice now, as I have already forked over the cash for the aux in, and have a year left on my lease.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: ls
thanks for the helpful advice. got the dice and ipod on the way. i've done a good deal of searching the forums for install help. i understand where the cables are but i'm unclear on how to remove the center console. i know you take the ashtray out of the back and remove 2 nuts and 2 screws. is that all that is holding it. if someone has already posted the diy info and i've missed it please inform me.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey1 View Post
thanks for the helpful advice. got the dice and ipod on the way. i've done a good deal of searching the forums for install help. i understand where the cables are but i'm unclear on how to remove the center console. i know you take the ashtray out of the back and remove 2 nuts and 2 screws. is that all that is holding it. if someone has already posted the diy info and i've missed it please inform me.
On the X3, you just pull on the center console bucket to gain access to the connectors.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
are there any places that install the DICE ipod in the east coast?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
On the X3, you just pull on the center console bucket to gain access to the connectors.
You know Tom, I've gone through a great deal of difficulty removing the center console to install XM Direct. I can not see how to, as you say, "pull up" the center bucket. I have seen others give this same advice, but for the life of me it's just not happening in my '04 X3 build date 8/04. If anyone can shed any light on this topic, please do. I mean with a year left on my lease, I'm debating getting the dice. But having to remove the center console before the lease end makes me want to anything but. I suppose I can take the dice with me to my next X3, but who knows.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by angina View Post
are there any places that install the DICE ipod in the east coast?

Any experienced installer should be able to perform the install in less than 30 minutes on the X3 - it is very simple.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
You know Tom, I've gone through a great deal of difficulty removing the center console to install XM Direct. I can not see how to, as you say, "pull up" the center bucket. I have seen others give this same advice, but for the life of me it's just not happening in my '04 X3 build date 8/04. If anyone can shed any light on this topic, please do. I mean with a year left on my lease, I'm debating getting the dice. But having to remove the center console before the lease end makes me want to anything but. I suppose I can take the dice with me to my next X3, but who knows.
It couldn't be simpler in the X3:

Once the bucket is removed, your wiring will be located underneath the e-brake bracket.

Let me know if you should need additional assistance.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It couldn't be simpler in the X3:

Once the bucket is removed, your wiring will be located underneath the e-brake bracket.

Let me know if you should need additional assistance.
All I can say is DUH! and thanks! I guess the pics did it for me. I must say that I have tried pulling up on that sucker many times, but for some reason I had no success. Thanks again for the pics and the quick reply Tom.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Hello,

Just wondering how well teh dice kit works with Nav. Does the tracks and songs show up in the Nav Screen? I couldn't find any screen shots of it on www.europeanautosource.com

Thanks
Nav
Xenon
Servo
Folded Mirrors
Privacy Glass
Heated Seats
Old 09-14-2006, 02:25 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill007 View Post
Hello,

Just wondering how well teh dice kit works with Nav. Does the tracks and songs show up in the Nav Screen? I couldn't find any screen shots of it on www.europeanautosource.com

Thanks
Here's a couple of shots of the DICE ipod kit in action on a 5-series w/ NAV, X3 would be similiar:

[/QUOTE]

Old 09-14-2006, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Robey - here's some more photos that may help:

http://rodneygrill.com/bmw/dice/index.html

You really shouldn't need to remove any more of the center console than the "bucket". The Velcro wiring bundle is under the CD changer bracket, but if you (gently) use tweezers and fingers, you should be able to fish it out.

- RODNEY