Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
how to hook up sub/amp correctly...

so yea, Im okay with mechanical stuff under the hood, but audio not so good at, so i need to know how to hook up a amp (run a single 12 in sub) ..what do I need? steps? Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2006, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325CI
You just need basic wiring skills. Search this forum and other car stereo forums and you will find the info you need.

You need to run a wire with a fuse of the proper diameter from the battery to the amp.

You need a ground wire from the amp to a good ground somewhere in the trunk.

If you have a stock system you need to tap into the speaker wires to run an audio signal to the amp, you might need a signal adaper/converter for that.

Then you need to run speaker wire from the amp to the subwoofer.

I didn't know much about installing stereo equiptment either untill I searched forums and did research. I also bought a few books on the subject.

You can get a lot of info here:

http://www.the12volt.com/index.asp

Last edited by jonbth; 09-11-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
I just finished installing my first amp and sub in my 530. I went with the 12" deck mounted sub from BSW. I love the sound and the install was pretty easy. There are pics on my site.

Quite simply you need the following

Power from the positive terminal to the Amp
Ground to a frame of the car to the amp
Splice into speaker wires. (check out my pics for this)
The splices go into a Line Output Convertor and are converted into RCA jacks which go into the AMP
Remote turn on from thin white wire on BMW amp to REM turn on of sub amp

Feel free to ask loads of questions!

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 PM

so, ok....what gauge wire should i run for a 300 watt system? 8?
also, do i need to buy anything specific to bmw in reguards to hooking up the amp to the speaker, or stock amp? Ive heard of pins...idk, i need a lil more info, Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Yes, 8 gauge should be just fine. To connect the aftermarket amp to the factory amp you will need a Line Output Converter. I used the Soundgate LOC4.2. This has 2 sets of 4 wires at one end and RCA jacks in the other. You will use one set of the four wires to splice into the speaker inputs. This is done with butt connecters. The other side of the LOC has RCA jacks and those simplely run to the input of your sub amp. From there just the speaker wire from the sub amp to the amp.

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 PM

thank you!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
http://www.scarlettnetworks.com/bmw/

Seams to be down.. what wires do i tap into for the LOC? Please be specific.

Thanks for all your help
Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Thanks for pointing that out...I missed that folder when I rebuilt my web server.

The pics are back up. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Chiaretto Red M5
LOC's are only necessary if your amplifier cannot handle the speaker voltage. The stock stereo isn't that powerful to begin with so any amp that can take speaker level inputs or can handle a 10V low level (ie. MTX's) will not need LOC's.

d-
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325 ci
Adding an aftermarket amp to a 325 ci

First of all, I cannot locate a factory amp at all in this 2001 325 ci convertible. Correct me if I am wrong, but i have looked all in the trunk area and at this point I am assuming there is not a factory amp in the car. It has the OEM business CD with 5 1/4" door and 4"rear side panel speakers. The 2nd question is, will there be a remote on/off out on the OEM deck that I can prompt the amp with ?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: '01 & '02 E39 530i Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasABaker View Post
LOC's are only necessary if your amplifier cannot handle the speaker voltage. The stock stereo isn't that powerful to begin with so any amp that can take speaker level inputs or can handle a 10V low level (ie. MTX's) will not need LOC's.

d-
The headunit sends differential balanced output to the factory amp. If you add or swap amps you will need an amp that accepts this type input. Only a few do. JL is an example, while Most Alpine and Cadence would not work unless the LOC is designed to manage these loads.
The remote wire is white and can be tapped to turn on another or additional amp.

Last edited by GSA1; 10-18-2010 at 05:17 AM.