Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-29-2002, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
wheel alignment better on BMW wheels?

BMW OE wheels have 5 tiny holes for alignment (next to the bolt holes). is the alignment better if done with the BMW wheels on my car? right now, i have my BMW wheels on my car, but i am thinking of changing to my snow tires on steel wheels. my alignment appointment is 2 weeks away. i am wondering if i should wait until i have my car aligned with the BMW wheels on car, then change to my snows on steel wheels. or maybe it doesn't matter.

someone told me the alignment is better (more accurate etc) using the 5 tiny holes on BMW OE wheels.
Ads by Google
Old 11-30-2002, 07:28 AM
Trained for red

Mein Auto: Electric red 2002 325xi
Re: wheel alignment better on BMW wheels?

Quote:
Originally posted by Magna
BMW OE wheels have 5 tiny holes for alignment (next to the bolt holes). is the alignment better if done with the BMW wheels on my car? right now, i have my BMW wheels on my car, but i am thinking of changing to my snow tires on steel wheels. my alignment appointment is 2 weeks away. i am wondering if i should wait until i have my car aligned with the BMW wheels on car, then change to my snows on steel wheels. or maybe it doesn't matter.

someone told me the alignment is better (more accurate etc) using the 5 tiny holes on BMW OE wheels.
My BMW dealer was unable to do an alignment on my car since I have aftermarket wheels; their equipment is incompatible with everything but BMW wheels. However, I found a very experienced (they do much of the high-end autos in my area)alignment shop that did a perfect job aligning my car and but for much less money. Ask around for recommendations in your area. I'm not an expert on BMW dealership aligning, but for me, an experienced professional alignment shop did just as good of a job.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
thanks jraymond for info!!
Old 11-30-2002, 01:00 PM
;p

Mein Auto: bike w/ ET mod
can anyone confirm that those tiny holes are for alignment? i have them on my aftermarket ssr's. i thought they were for cutting excess weight.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: '03 530i, '06 Z4 3.0si
Those holes are so close to the center of the wheel, that I would say a precision tool mounted to the rim of the wheel should be no less accurate, albeit more!. If they mount the machine and have a grain of dirt in one of the holes, it would set off the machine a full millimeter only 2 inches from the center of the wheel. On the other hand, that same grain of dirt on the rim would be 8-10 inches from the center which would be 80% or more accurate. If those are for the dealership to use for alignment, then it could make for a more accurate alignment of the car even if the rim is bent. They can align the hub and not know if the wheel is bent. Good for them, bad for you?