Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 AM

Mein Auto: 330 cic
Stuck between 2 Colors Choices - Silver vs Stratus

I know i cant go wrong either way - but trying to decide between Silver Grey and Stratus Grey - leaning to light interior and wood. cant find pix - if anyof you have, and want to share them as well as an opinion or two (or three) i would appreciate it.
Ads by Google
Old 09-14-2006, 05:42 AM
weRe not in kansas anymoR

Mein Auto: 6er
search is your friend

heres a few of stratus: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161274
Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Cic
Mine has the dark interior with dark wood. I like the look, personally.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asg001 View Post
I know i cant go wrong either way - but trying to decide between Silver Grey and Stratus Grey - leaning to light interior and wood. cant find pix - if anyof you have, and want to share them as well as an opinion or two (or three) i would appreciate it.
Check it out...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=Houston
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by asg001 View Post
I am not a fan of silver and beige. So I would opt for any other color with beige leather. I have silver gray with black leather for the ease of maintenance/cleaning.

I think silver is best suited for black or red leather.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '07 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I am not a fan of silver and beige. So I would opt for any other color with beige leather. I have silver gray with black leather for the ease of maintenance/cleaning.

I think silver is best suited for black or red leather.
Concur. Cream beige interior doesn't work with these colors. YET ANOTHER reason to scratch one's head wondering why the hell BMW didn't make a light or ash gray interior for this car. Great with the gray's, awesome with the Monaco too.

Edit: Shouldn't say it doesn't work as the pics below show. Quite nice. Just not as nice as black looks but that "shrinks" the look of volume and gets hots. Beige clashes and I agree it's the hardest to keep clean.

Last edited by BigHat; 09-14-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Anything is possible!

Mein Auto: 07 550i, 08 M5
This is my Silver Gray with Cream Beige interior and Dark Birch wood.
The light interior is hard to take care of, but it makes the interior look roomier, especialy if you have a coupe.

Last edited by IFly650i; 09-14-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
The stratus gray is an amazing color. But if I had to do it over again I'd get white this time. (The Monaco blue is too close to blue-black.) Also, the creme beige seats are a lot lighter than they look on the website, and even on 645Cis. So, I'd go with white and the red intereior. The next best color, in my mind, is the black. but it is a bear to keep clean.

My first BMW was white. (35 years ago.) For some reason, and I forgot this when I ordered, BMWs look really good in white. Always have.

And, based on what BMW is offering, the only interior wood to get is Ruthenium. (Supposedly its wood veneer painted in a soft silver color.)

I am torn between replacing my 650i with an M6 or getting rid of my Merc and getting a new S63 or S65. If I were to get the M6 I'd want the Interlagos blue and try to figure out a way to get a light brown or tan leather interior (but not anywhere near as light as the creme beige), since it's not offered in that combination in the U.S. I'd also want a lighter wood color, but not as light as the light colored wood now offered on the 650i. There are some wood colors currently offered for the 7 series that are between brown and red, and not too dark.

As you can see from this response, and every other, color is a very personal thing.

Are you getting coupe or convertible? If you get the rag top, and you go with either of the grays, you should definitely get the gray top rather than the black top.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
You always get both cars.

I disagree about the convertible top thing. Make the top contrast the color of your car body.

If it matches too closely the color of the car body, it will look like someone forgot to put a roof on. Instead, they put a cloth with the same color in the hopes no one will notice. Pick a color that will make the roof contrast the car body. That way, it looks intentional, and not an accident.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Come Back Soon

Mein Auto: 645Ci or Carveboard
IMO The cream interior with the mineral silver and grey top on the vert is also a great combination. Like Mal, I am seriously leaning toward an M6 for my next car. I think I can keep my 645Ci it for another year, but will be chnaging before mine hits the four year mark. At two and one-half years old, I am still under 21k miles. Hopefully, that will help when I sell. But when the time comes, I am sure I will take forever to pick a color. One thing I am sure of though, it will be another vert. Since I won't be goning to the track, the slight speed differnce will mean nothering to me.
2008 550i - Carbon Black - Black Nasca Leather - Ventilated Seats - Dark Poplar Trim - Anthracite - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Logic7 - Sirius - Navigation - iPod - Comfort Access - Steptronic - HUD - M5 Wheels - Arrived July 17, 2007

Previously 77' 320i; 81' 318i; 85' 535i; 95' 525i; and 04' 645CiC
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
IMO The cream interior with the mineral silver and grey top on the vert is also a great combination. Like Mal, I am seriously leaning toward an M6 for my next car. I think I can keep my 645Ci it for another year, but will be chnaging before mine hits the four year mark. At two and one-half years old, I am still under 21k miles. Hopefully, that will help when I sell. But when the time comes, I am sure I will take forever to pick a color. One thing I am sure of though, it will be another vert. Since I won't be goning to the track, the slight speed differnce will mean nothering to me.
You should take it the track. It will give you a whole new perspective on your car.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
At two and one-half years old, I am still under 21k miles. Hopefully, that will help when I sell.
Take a good look a bluebook numbers. Mileage does not mean much in resale. Whether you car has 10k or 40k, Only a few thousand bucks difference.

The real problem is you need to DRIVE your car. 21k miles and about $20k in depreciation over the last two years. Dude, you are paying over $1 per mile just to drive the car.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Take a good look a bluebook numbers. Mileage does not mean much in resale. Whether you car has 10k or 40k, Only a few thousand bucks difference.

The real problem is you need to DRIVE your car. 21k miles and about $20k in depreciation over the last two years. Dude, you are paying over $1 per mile just to drive the car.
I haven't looked at the blue book value, but are you serious? Mileage doesn't matter? If not, what does? Just the years?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise View Post
I haven't looked at the blue book value, but are you serious? Mileage doesn't matter? If not, what does? Just the years?
Not from what I have seen. Go check bluebook an on 04 645 with 1,000 miles and one with 40,000. The difference is about $6k. $64k and $70k roughly.

However one person enjoyed their car and the other did not over the two year period. When you buy expensive cars you do not do yourself any favors keeping them garaged and rarely driven. They still drop like rocks.

Last edited by chuck92103; 09-14-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto:
Between the two (Silver Grey versus Stratus Grey), I would pick Stratus. It's an amazing colour that even has golden brown hue under direct sunlight! Good luck.

I have Mineral Silver and Platinum leather, which is a very light coloured leather. Any regrets? No. See here:-

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140684
Old 09-14-2006, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i coupe
I love the stratus and sometimes regret not selecting it. I would match it with a black leather and ruthenium interior. The dark and light birch trims look cheap.

AMV8, Jet black: April 2007 delivery.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Here are a few Silver G & Chateau - in the 04/05 MY the trim is Basalt Gray while in 06/07 MY the interior trim is black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	645_Int_Frt6.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	85668   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	85674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0314.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	85675   Click image for larger version

Name:	645_Drvwy8.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	85676   Click image for larger version

Name:	645_Int_Rear2.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	85677  

Last edited by cobradav; 09-14-2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Put the right damn pics in
Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 PM

Given the dimensions of the 6, corpulent from some angles, I prefer it in dark colors, with black being the most dramatic. But black is a PITA to keep cool and clean, as I found out with my '91 NSX. (The early NSXs all had black roofs, so to avoid the instantly dated jet-fighter look, I ordered mine in monochrome black).

The silvers are also nice, but I've had two silver BMWs and was ready for a change. I was impressed by the chamelion-like appearance of the stratus cars under varying lighting conditions. The car can appear grey, brown, blue, or even green. Never a dull moment. Plus, as I proved on my trip through Europe, stratus masks dirt buidup quite well.

I ordered the black/dark birch interior b/c the cream beige leather is too light IMO, and the light birch contrasts too sharply with an otherwise black interior. My loaner in Europe had a ruthenium/dark birch interior. I think that this car deserves wood trim.

Having said all that, I'm with Mal: the interior color choices need to be expanded for the 650. I'd have liked to order a light grey leather, with medium brown wood trim.

Last edited by Spyder; 09-14-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Given the dimensions of the 6, corpulent from some angles, I prefer it in dark colors, with black being the most dramatic. But black is a PITA to keep cool and clean, as I found out with my '91 NSX. (The early NSXs all had black roofs, so to avoid the instantly dated jet-fighter look, I ordered mine in monochrome black).

The silvers are also nice, but I've had two silver BMWs and was ready for a change. I was impressed by the chamelion-like appearance of the stratus cars under varying lighting conditions. The car can appear grey, brown, blue, or even green. Never a dull moment. Plus, as I proved on my trip through Europe, stratus masks dirt buidup quite well.

I ordered the black/dark birch interior b/c the cream beige leather is too light IMO, and the light birch contrasts too sharply with an otherwise black interior. My loaner in Europe had a ruthenium/dark birch interior. I think that this car deserves wood trim.

Having said all that, I'm with Mal: the interior color choices need to be expanded for the 650. I'd have liked to order a light grey leather, with medium brown wood trim.
Lord Wyldfyre - Weren't you offered the new light grey leather interior with the brown wood? Oh, I forgot. It's only for the stick shift in MY 2007. Too bad.

So where is the 675i now in the process? I want to know! Mine was done a year ago yesterday. If you got the "first one" yours should be waiting transport. Tell us! Hell, give me the VIN so I can track it for you. And, while I'm at it, I'll spoof your e-mail address and ask BMW NA how my stick shift car is coming.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Do Ya Searchin'

Stratus Grey is the best. I have Silver Grey and I like this color a lot too.

I would say if you have a chance to see these two colors next to one another, you will know then which one is the right one for you.

I have to say that the two-tone (Grey body, Black soft-top) look with the 6er is way off base interms of harmony but everyone's taste is their own.

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post

So where is the 675i now in the process? I want to know! Mine was done a year ago yesterday. If you got the "first one" yours should be waiting transport. Tell us! Hell, give me the VIN so I can track it for you. And, while I'm at it, I'll spoof your e-mail address and ask BMW NA how my stick shift car is coming.
The hybrid seems to be stuck on "awaiting transport" according to the Owner's Circle on bmw.com. This could be due to the fact that it's an ED car, ie, it's actually on a vessel, but the system isn't tracking it cuz it thinks that it's being picked up at the factory. I was warned by BMWNA that this may happen, so I've asked them if they have any further word on the status of my stratus

BTW, I left a message with your contractor about the garage remodel and other more substantial work, He never got back to me. Could mentioning your name have been the kiss of death?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
The hybrid seems to be stuck on "awaiting transport" according to the Owner's Circle on bmw.com. This could be due to the fact that it's an ED car, ie, it's actually on a vessel, but the system isn't tracking it cuz it thinks that it's being picked up at the factory. I was warned by BMWNA that this may happen, so I've asked them if they have any further word on the status of my stratus

BTW, I left a message with your contractor about the garage remodel and other more substantial work, He never got back to me. Could mentioning your name have been the kiss of death?
When I was expecting there was a number you could call at BMW NA to find out exactly where it was. Until it was driven on the ship they had the most accurate info. Please find out for me. You should stop joking about the "hybrid." BMW is apparently selling one next year in the 7er in lieu of the V-12 (I sh!t you not). It will burn petrol and, when you are feeling really rich and superior, hydrogen. When it burns H2 water vapour is the only compound expelled from the exhaust.

As for your garage, glad you've decided on the $2 million job. I'll e-mail my contractor tonight. (I'll also see him Saturday morning, on horseback.)
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Banned

I heard they were only leasing the Hydrogen 7 series to select people.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Come Back Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise View Post
You should take it the track. It will give you a whole new perspective on your car.
I don't think they will let me near the track in a convertible.
2008 550i - Carbon Black - Black Nasca Leather - Ventilated Seats - Dark Poplar Trim - Anthracite - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Logic7 - Sirius - Navigation - iPod - Comfort Access - Steptronic - HUD - M5 Wheels - Arrived July 17, 2007

Old 09-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Come Back Soon

The real problem is you need to DRIVE your car. 21k miles and about $20k in depreciation over the last two years. Dude, you are paying over $1 per mile just to drive the car. [/QUOTE]

I bought mine 18 months old with 12,000 miles on it. I have since added about 1,000 miles per month, and my daily commute is 5 miles (round-trip). Since I paid $61k, I think the my cost is a lot less than $1 per mile. In fact, if I sold it today, it might be free. Well, that is before registration, insurance and gas, so not free but not that bad either!