Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: '96 E39 523i
Question e39 Drivers Side Door

Hey everyone,

I'm having some issues and I think I may have tracked down the issue but I was wondering if I could get some pointers on how to verify/fix. First let me say the car is a 1996 e39 523i.

Yesterday morning all was well, drove to work, rolled down my window, etc. I arrived at work, rolled my window back up, got out and used the remote to lock the car up. I went back out to my car around 2 in the afternoon and hit the button to unlock the doors and all the doors unlocked except the drivers side.

So I climbed over from the passenger side and tried to open it from the inside (thinking maybe the actuator died), the lock would raise, then drop as soon as I released the handle. I tried holding the lock up while trying to open from the outside (reaching in through the back window) and I couldn't get it open. After way too much searching I was worried I was going to have to tear up the interior to get the door open when I saw someone mention trying the key (manually) but turning it almost 90 degrees. I tried it and thought my key was going to break but it worked (I guess no one has done that in the past 18 years and it was just stuck).

After I got home I checked all the fuses (under the hood, in the glovebox, and in the trunk) all of them were good. I was about to try to take the switch out (sadly most of my tools are in America and I'm in the UK) and I noticed that the buttons on the switch light up when the lights are on just like they are supposed to.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the switch so I can verify it is getting power (to make sure a wire isn't broken)? I really appreciate anyone that was able to stick with me through this long post and any assistance it extremely appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: '96 E39 523i
I have found and I seem to have resolved my initial issue.

After reading what wilsonmc00 did in his post (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=675478) I checked out the cable he had issues with. It wasnt broken but I noticed some parts of the harness that seemed loose, after reseating the plugs into the harness I did the same for the actual switch and everything is working now!

Unfortunately I may have stretched the cable going to the interior door handle as now it isn't as firm as it was (the handle doesn't go completely back into it's resting position). Does anyone know how I can tighten that cable? For now I have to roll down my window and open it from the outside, but it's better than not being able to roll down the window/adjust the mirrors/or remotely lock/unlock the door!