Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 12-02-2002, 01:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328 coupe, '95 Miata
How to remove & disable the brake pad sensor?

Hello,

Since I change my brake pads on a frequent basis, I'd rather just remove the brake pad sensor. Can I just cut the wire off? I just want to make sure that this won't cause the sensor to trip and enable the dashboard light.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2002, 07:06 AM
Speed Bump

Mein Auto: 75 Vega
I think removing the sensor will just trip the pad wear light. Since pad wear sensors tend to melt at the track, I just tie the sensor around the brake line to keep t out of the way.

Ed
Old 12-02-2002, 10:29 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Ditto what teamdfl said. Just wire tie the sensor out of the way off the brake pads.

Do check your pad wear on a monthly basis though, since there won't be a sensor there to tell you the pad's worn.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:00 AM
Speed Bump

Mein Auto: 75 Vega
Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK
Do check your pad wear on a monthly basis though, since there won't be a sensor there to tell you the pad's worn.
Actually, I find that the sparks shooting out from the backing plate when the bad material is totally gone is a good indicator. I can also tell within one braking zone on track when the backing plate hits the rotor. The steel backing plates does not seem to stop as well as pad.

Ed
Old 12-02-2002, 11:09 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally posted by teamdfl
Actually, I find that the sparks shooting out from the backing plate when the bad material is totally gone is a good indicator. I can also tell within one braking zone on track when the backing plate hits the rotor. The steel backing plates does not seem to stop as well as pad.

Ed

Yeah, and the steel grinding steel noise is slightly different than the MAC truck brake squeel you'd get from track or high perf pads.

I usually just throw away the pads when they're within 1/8th of an inch to the metal backing plate, or 1/4th of an inch if a track school is coming up.

Bit wasteful, but certainly I won't be repeating what happened to you or Sergio323Ci.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:22 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK

Yeah, and the steel grinding steel noise is slightly different than the MAC truck brake squeel you'd get from track or high perf pads.

With a helmet on, I don't know if I could tell the difference between my R4s and the grinding noise from worn pads! If the car doesn't stop, that would be a good indication for me!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Reaction

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
I think removing the sensor will just trip the pad wear light. Since pad wear sensors tend to melt at the track, I just tie the sensor around the brake line to keep t out of the way.

Ed
I tried this but this turn on the check brake pad light on in the dash board.