Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to brandonpturner@ Send a message via MSN to brandonpturner@ Send a message via Yahoo to brandonpturner@ Send a message via Skype™ to brandonpturner@
Mein Auto: '97 318i
What the f__K?!

Now, I have replaced the fuel pump with a working pump. I read 12V DC at the pump connector with the key in the on position. Everything is plugged in, and all hoses are connected. The pump is STILL not turning on!! OMG I WANT TO ****ING DIE. It's been almost three weeks now, and I don't have any money to take this thing to be fixed. What the **** could posssibly be going wrong?!

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME. I AM SO DESPERATE.

Last edited by brandonpturner@; 12-18-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Can the fuel filter be clogged? Is there gas getting to the pump?? Inquiring minds want to know....
Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
I think the fusebox has a pump relay, but Im not sure at this moment.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to brandonpturner@ Send a message via MSN to brandonpturner@ Send a message via Yahoo to brandonpturner@ Send a message via Skype™ to brandonpturner@
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwcat View Post
Can the fuel filter be clogged? Is there gas getting to the pump?? Inquiring minds want to know....
Gas is getting to the pump just fine. The pump isn't even turning on. And yes, I replaced the fuel pump relay, and the fuse is fine as well.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
<<<Buddy

Mein Auto: 97' 328I
Run a power wire to the pump see if that helps, might be just the wiring gone bad!! Let us know if that works for you....PJ
Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBIMMER View Post
Run a power wire to the pump see if that helps, might be just the wiring gone bad!! Let us know if that works for you....PJ

What should be power source be?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
To help you some jumper the relay and see if you can hear the pump fun. That will tell you if the cause is elsewhere.
Pull the fuel pump relay and turn the relay over. See the numbers, 30, 85, 86, 87. Use a couple of lugs of adequate size with at least a 14 ga wire and jumper from 30 to 87. You are bypassing everything to do this so if the pump does not run then you know it is something else causing the problem.
The car was not bumped or anything was it?
There is a fuel cutoff switch in the truck area on sedans and coupes that must be rest if it was.
Hope this helps some...
Old 12-18-2006, 08:10 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
As a follow up the key does not even need to be in the car as you are going direct to the powewr source when jumpering the two lugs in the fuel box area of the fuel pump relay...
Old 12-18-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
To help you some jumper the relay and see if you can hear the pump fun. That will tell you if the cause is elsewhere.
Pull the fuel pump relay and turn the relay over. See the numbers, 30, 85, 86, 87. Use a couple of lugs of adequate size with at least a 14 ga wire and jumper from 30 to 87. You are bypassing everything to do this so if the pump does not run then you know it is something else causing the problem.
The car was not bumped or anything was it?
There is a fuel cutoff switch in the truck area on sedans and coupes that must be rest if it was.
Hope this helps some...
I'll try jumping it tomorrow. Thank you. No. No bumps. thank god. lol.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: X5, E36 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonpturner@ View Post
I'll try jumping it tomorrow. Thank you. No. No bumps. thank god. lol.
The fuel pump only runs when the motor is on, although I think there is a short period it spins up for when the ignition is first turned on to make sure there is fuel pressure.

I remember after I changed my pump I couldn't feel it running,but after gassing up the car and connecting everything, it started.

I think we did jump the relay from memory to test it.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Ok, so I jumped 87-30 in the Fuel Pump Relay slot. My fan came on. I turned the key, and instead of the engine turning and turning, it bacame more erratic.
Instead of rerererererrerere, it would be rere re re rerere re rere then stops.

??

I did use 22 gauge wire, though....