Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 05-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Drove a new M5 two days ago

My cousin recently bought a new M5. I went down to pay him a visit in Palos Verdes and we went out for dinner. He gave me the keys and asked me for my opinon on it. I found that the car had lots of power but one could definitely feel the weight around town or inthe city. On the highway it is another story where it feels more comfortable and at home. I found that shifting was a tab slow as there seemed to be a lag in between shifts. I know that one can adjust the spoon how it shifts between 1 & 6 I had it on 5 and was unable to get it into 6 even with the Power button on and the DSC off 500 horses in that car are definitely nice. He gets about 12-13 MPG and he is not that heavy footed But I guess you pay for it some how as those 10 cylinders need more fuel The seats had a neet option that supports the driver and passenger when the car makes a sharp right or left turn as it automatically adjusts the seats to keep the passenger in place. As much as I liked it if I had to spend most of my time driving around town it would be a bit too big and heavy for me but if I spent some time on the highways then this would be quite the car to have. He is very happy with it so far and there have not been any major problems or issues so far with it other then the slow shifting
Ads by Google
Old 05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat
My cousin recently bought a new M5. I went down to pay him a visit in Palos Verdes and we went out for dinner. He gave me the keys and asked me for my opinon on it. I found that the car had lots of power but one could definitely feel the weight around town or inthe city. On the highway it is another story where it feels more comfortable and at home. I found that shifting was a tab slow as there seemed to be a lag in between shifts. I know that one can adjust the spoon how it shifts between 1 & 6 I had it on 5 and was unable to get it into 6 even with the Power button on and the DSC off 500 horses in that car are definitely nice. He gets about 12-13 MPG and he is not that heavy footed But I guess you pay for it some how as those 10 cylinders need more fuel The seats had a neet option that supports the driver and passenger when the car makes a sharp right or left turn as it automatically adjusts the seats to keep the passenger in place. As much as I liked it if I had to spend most of my time driving around town it would be a bit too big and heavy for me but if I spent some time on the highways then this would be quite the car to have. He is very happy with it so far and there have not been any major problems or issues so far with it other then the slow shifting
Your review of the M5 echos mine. I was very disappointed with the car overall. A lot of lag, so so shifting, no evidence of 500HP, and the interior does not look right. The inside of the car looks like different people designed certain parts without talking to one another. The console does not even mate up with the dash.

Save you money and get a 550.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
Your review of the M5 echos mine. I was very disappointed with the car overall. A lot of lag, so so shifting, no evidence of 500HP, and the interior does not look right. The inside of the car looks like different people designed certain parts without talking to one another. The console does not even mate up with the dash.

Unfortunately, this is a car that takes some time to really learn and appreciate. Once you do though, it's like no other sedan on the planet. The "lag" and "no evidence of 500 HP" just means you probably didn't have the right settings or rpm. This car has the most immediate throttle response of any car I've ever driven, and it pulls like nothing else from 100 mph on. I suspect you'd have a very different opinion if you took a ride with someone familiar with the car that was out of break-in.
V1 Hardwired
Blinder Xtreme M40
Michelin PS2's on 20 inch BBS RS-GT's
Blizzak LM 22's on OEM 19 inch wheels
Straight Pipes/No Resonator
Charcoal Filters Removed
H&R Springs and Spacers Installed
Dinan 3.91 Differential
BMC Air Filters
Old 05-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine
Unfortunately, this is a car that takes some time to really learn and appreciate. Once you do though, it's like no other sedan on the planet. The "lag" and "no evidence of 500 HP" just means you probably didn't have the right settings or rpm. This car has the most immediate throttle response of any car I've ever driven, and it pulls like nothing else from 100 mph on. I suspect you'd have a very different opinion if you took a ride with someone familiar with the car that was out of break-in.

don't own one (yet), but can tell you that the M5 is vastly superior, in just about every regard, to my recently-retired 545i.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 PM

By all means the car is quick but the shifting in my opinion still left a lot to be desired. I prefer the shifting on my 330ZHP which is a manual. I can shift a lot faster manually my-self.. The acceleration seemed faster in my Supercharged 330 but the throttle response seemed better on the M5. The V10 felt more potent all together while my 330 seemed stretched out compared to the M5. The M5 does weigh a lot though . We are going to race one of these days to see what happens. I am pretty sure my car is in the low 4's now to 60. I like his M5 but I just like cars personally that feel lighter and more athletic around town but I would pick this M5 over mine any day for a trip to Vegas or any long haul trip Around town though my 330 seems more agile and athletic..
Old 05-12-2006, 09:52 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
...and the interior does not look right. The inside of the car looks like different people designed certain parts without talking to one another. The console does not even mate up with the dash.

So you criticize the interior design of the M5 but recommend a 550? Makes no sense to me..

I don't understand that somebody who owns a 6-series dislikes the interior of a 5-series BMW. I recently test-drove a 650i while my car was in service and honestly, I wasn't impressed at all. First, the useless sunroof. Lots of glass but it can only be lifted up, not fully opened. Looks nice but useless. Second, the crappy cup-holders. You have to "install" them first before you can use them. Not comfortable at all. In addition, the 6-series has no rear sunshade. Really bad if you live in a hot area. My impression was: "The car looks nice from outside but the interior appears cheap. Too much plastic...".

Please let me know what "interior design" advantages a 6-series BMW has over a 5-series. I can't think of any...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
By all means the car is quick but the shifting in my opinion still left a lot to be desired. I prefer the shifting on my 330ZHP which is a manual. I can shift a lot faster manually my-self.. The acceleration seemed faster in my Supercharged 330 but the throttle response seemed better on the M5. The V10 felt more potent all together while my 330 seemed stretched out compared to the M5. The M5 does weigh a lot though . We are going to race one of these days to see what happens. I am pretty sure my car is in the low 4's now to 60. I like his M5 but I just like cars personally that feel lighter and more athletic around town but I would pick this M5 over mine any day for a trip to Vegas or any long haul trip Around town though my 330 seems more agile and athletic..
If you think you can shift faster than the SMG III, then you definitely haven't experienced S6 at full throttle. There is not a single person I know of who has, and thinks they can even approach the speed and intensity of the power transfer that occurs. You definitely weren't on the right settings.

As far as the acelleration goes, you definitely need to be in the right settings: DSC off, S6, EDC sport, M dynamic mode. If you don't have all four of these correctly set, you aren't seeing the best performance. You also need to be driving a car with more than 1200 miles on it. Unless your supercharged 330 is making close to 500 HP, the M5 will be quicker once you get rolling.

From a dig, the M5 isn't great - we don't get the European LC, and it's pretty difficult to launch the car with anything better than a 2.1 sec 60 foot time. As far as agility, your 330 definitely has the edge - at around 3,400 lbs, it is a beautifully handling car, and however good the M5 is, it's still a 4,000 lb plus car.
V1 Hardwired
Blinder Xtreme M40
Charcoal Filters Removed
Dinan 3.91 Differential
BMC Air Filters
Old 05-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: E 46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan
So you criticize the interior design of the M5 but recommend a 550? Makes no sense to me..

I don't understand that somebody who owns a 6-series dislikes the interior of a 5-series BMW. I recently test-drove a 650i while my car was in service and honestly, I wasn't impressed at all. First, the useless sunroof. Lots of glass but it can only be lifted up, not fully opened. Looks nice but useless. Second, the crappy cup-holders. You have to "install" them first before you can use them. Not comfortable at all. In addition, the 6-series has no rear sunshade. Really bad if you live in a hot area. My impression was: "The car looks nice from outside but the interior appears cheap. Too much plastic...".

Please let me know what "interior design" advantages a 6-series BMW has over a 5-series. I can't think of any...
I completely agree about the 6. See my post here after a recent test drive... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...00&postcount=4
Old 05-12-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine
If you think you can shift faster than the SMG III, then you definitely haven't experienced S6 at full throttle. There is not a single person I know of who has, and thinks they can even approach the speed and intensity of the power transfer that occurs. You definitely weren't on the right settings.

As far as the acelleration goes, you definitely need to be in the right settings: DSC off, S6, EDC sport, M dynamic mode. If you don't have all four of these correctly set, you aren't seeing the best performance. You also need to be driving a car with more than 1200 miles on it. Unless your supercharged 330 is making close to 500 HP, the M5 will be quicker once you get rolling.

From a dig, the M5 isn't great - we don't get the European LC, and it's pretty difficult to launch the car with anything better than a 2.1 sec 60 foot time. As far as agility, your 330 definitely has the edge - at around 3,400 lbs, it is a beautifully handling car, and however good the M5 is, it's still a 4,000 lb plus car.
I did not get to try the S6 but I did experience it in S5 with all the setting you had mentioned. There would have to be a big and major difference. My friend has a new M5 as well and he too says that he feels the shifting is a bit slow even in S6 I can't comment on it in S6 since I honestly have not driven it in S6. My Cousin's car has 1900 Miles on it. I will see him this weekend probably again. Will try it then and try to report on it after
Old 05-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Quote:

This past weekend a number of us from the local BMW club spent a day in Spartanburg and we all had the opportunity to drive the M5. Let me say first hand if the settings are properly done there isn't any lag, shifting is amazingly quick and the car, even with all that weight, will do incredible things around corners and in stopping. After we all had a number of drives in the car - and we were able to thrash them about, the instructors took us for a ride that really demonstrated the ability of these cars. Most of us were left speechless with wide grins on our faces. I'm confident you'd hear similar comments from the other 31 people who drove these amazing cars.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 PM

My cousin's car still won't go into S6. Anyone here know how to get it to go into S6? He also is having problems getting it into Reverse..
Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
He also is having problems getting it into Reverse..
Hmm, I had some difficulties as well - but the reason for that was that it took me a few days to figure out who to move the stick correctly (first, ALL to the left and then up).

The easiest way to get back in N is NOT to pull the stick back down and to the right. You simply pull it down with a slight touch and it jumps back to N by itself.

Short: If you have to do the shift by force, you're doing it wrong..
That's what I figured out so far...

Didn't try S6 so far...
Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:

Let's not get carried away with interior design of 6 series. Majority of the interior including the dash is pretty similar to the 5.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:59 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamann 6
Let's not get carried away with interior design of 6 series. Majority of the interior including the dash is pretty similar to the 5.
Bingo!

Just as a little reminder: I only wrote my little statement due to this post:

"Your review of the M5 echos mine. I was very disappointed with the car overall. A lot of lag, so so shifting, no evidence of 500HP, and the interior does not look right. The inside of the car looks like different people designed certain parts without talking to one another. The console does not even mate up with the dash.

"

So if they are pretty similar (I somewhat agree on that because the interior quality of the full-leather M5 is better than the one in a 550 or 650 since they aren't available in the U.S. in that style - only the M6), the statement above makes little or no sense..

I simply couldn't understand why the interior DESIGN of a 645/650 and a 550 should be better than the DESIGN of the M5??
Old 05-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Too slow to name
Quote:
My cousin's car still won't go into S6. Anyone here know how to get it to go into S6? He also is having problems getting it into Reverse..
If it's like an E46 M3, turn the DSC off. 6 then becomes an option.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
BMW 750iL

Mein Auto: 750il
Quote:

This coming from the guy that has the best of all worlds

Hmmm...what was it.....

2006 760Li
2006 M5
2006 X5 4.8is
Old 05-20-2006, 09:15 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by n pinson
This coming from the guy that has the best of all worlds

Hmmm...what was it.....

2006 760Li
2006 M5
2006 X5 4.8is
Old 08-30-2006, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
it pulls like nothing else from 100 mph on.

Many E60 M5 owners comment how great the car is over 100 mph. If I will be driving 90% of the time in the city where low end torque rules, would it ever make sense to trade in my E39 M5 for the newer model?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Many E60 M5 owners comment how great the car is over 100 mph. If I will be driving 90% of the time in the city where low end torque rules, would it ever make sense to trade in my E39 M5 for the newer model?

I actually do quite a bit of city driving, and with the window open, and a slight mod to the exhaust (resonator removed), it is a blast to run up and down through the gears. The engine and exhaust note over 5,000 rpm are just incredible - I never get tired of hearing them.

If you're driving a manual in the city, the SMG will be much easier - no sore left leg from clutching in traffic jams etc... You learn pretty quick how to operate the SMG and downshift quickly if you need the torque. It is more 'work' than say and E55, where you just push the pedal. But everyone agrees that the car is way more fun to drive. I would go for it, but remember it will take you 5,000 miles or so to really warm up to the car and the tranny.
V1 Hardwired
Blinder Xtreme M40
Charcoal Filters Removed
Dinan 3.91 Differential
BMC Air Filters
Old 09-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: M5, AMG. 997TT
I have only seen M5's with extended leather interior, so can't comment on the standard one. Ours is full leather black/aluminum and looks awesome. The layout is great too.

As for slow shifting... try diferent settings.