Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1600 2002tii 323/ E90 335
First E90 335 ED long version

The car
Simply put, it is amazing. Very, very fast. This the first car I have driven that could keep up with the motorcycles in the Alpine twisties. It pulls very hard from low revs. The powerband is so even that you almost don’t realize how quick you are accelerating. I suspect there is more to be had at the top end, and perhaps we will get some of that with the release of the si/zhp package or aftermarket flashes. On some of the switchbacks I would just leave it in second rather than downshifting into first –I wanted to keep the revs down during break-in, and was not comfortable powersliding our new car – regardless, it seemed to accelerate almost as fast from 2000 rpm as from 4000, and one could pay full attention to steering without taking a hand off to shift. As great as the engine power is, the cornering and braking are absolutely phenomenal. Not sure if there is anything significantly different in this regard from the 330, but I was most impressed. Aside from the exotics, the 335 rules the autobahn. It accelerates from the speed-limited zones (80/100/120 kph) up to high speeds (200+ kph) in a blink. There would often be a fast group that would get bunched up behind a slow driver or in a speed zone. When we would all hit the gas, nothing (I tested it against more than a dozen MBs, Audis, etc) kept pace with the 335. A Boxster S was not quite as fast. The E90 335 is supremely stable and composed at high speeds. The bumpy pavement warnings are irrelevant in dry weather. The tires seemed fine to me, I did not discover any limitations.
Montego Blue is a great color IMO. It is a medium dark BLUE, lighter and less purple than Interlagos, a bit darker than LeMans. Much more aggressive than mystic. No grey or green in it, just a hint of purple. A deep metallic. It matches the beige interior well, but I would recommend the black & alu combination if you can deal with summer sun where you live. The sports package seems mandatory to me if you are intending to drive the car hard. The seats are wonderful. The leatherette seems a bit rougher and less slippery and more breathable than previous versions. The wood trims are OK, but seem too glossy for my taste. Ventilation, stereo, ergonomics all seem just fine. Plenty of luxury for my tastes. I would probably prefer a lighter version, but the car did not seem heavy. Quiet, smooth, composed, fast in a non-intrusive way. I got the manual transmission, but if $ were not an issue I would probably go for the steptronic for the first time in my life. That is one slick, fast-shifting transmission. The demands of steering, power, and braking are a lot to keep on top of in this car. I would like a LSD and 19” style 230 wheels, but at this point I think they would be more for show than function. This car is beyond my limits on the street. It belongs in Bavaria; I cannot imagine driving it to its full potential in the USA. But the memories of the autobahn and the Timmelsjock will live with us every time we go for a drive or just gaze in awe at our 335.

Euro delivery
ED is just an incredibly wonderful experience. Bernhard and crew are fantastic. I look forward to seeing the new Welt, which unfortunately is not scheduled for completion now until August 2007. Munich is clean, safe, efficient, charming, fun, full of beauty and history. It is buzzing with the creative actions of the world’s new intelligentsia, much like San Francisco and Seattle in the heyday of silicon valley and the software explosion. If you can tolerate the 8 hour plane rides euro delivery is a no-brainer. You owe it to yourself to drive your BMW in the best driving environment in the world, and save some money in the process. Bringing my 12 year old son was fantastic. He could navigate and remember where we were going. He absolutely loved Bavaria and Munich, and wants to attend the Ludwig-Maximilians-University for a year or so. There is so much to see and do, and having the freedom of driving your own car is truly wonderful.
Some recommendations: take the S-bahn/U-bahn if you are remotely young at heart and adventuresome. Taxis are too easy and expensive. Hotels: the Adria has a good location, but there is a wide choice in Munich. The Neuschwanstein hotel is definitely the way to go if you must see mad Ludwig’s fantasy because you are so close and can hike around before (and after) the maddening hordes get there. A bit rustic but perfectly fine. Lots of places to stay in Garmisch, my favorite is the Forsthaus Graseck because you ride up in a cable car to it, and the hiking trails are fabulous. We did not have time to go east to Salzberg or Berchtesgaden, which I highly recommend. The Hotel Rosenbichl in the midst of the nature reserve is a great place to stay there. If you can go further east to Vienna, Serbia, & Croatia, that is really a good time. The Adriatic coast is spectacular. France and Italy and Spain are great… The options are only limited by your time and imagination.
The trip
Thursday AM: Deplane, get luggage, admire airport, change some $ -- get some small notes for train ticket. Buy S-bahn/U-bahn ticket (we used the partner option, decide if 3 day or other choices make sense) – select choice, then put 10 euro note or credit card in to pay. Walk across square (admire Audi TT sculpture), down to S-bahn station. Put train ticket into blue puncher for time mark. Check Push button in middle of train door to open it. Find a seat and relax. 45 minutes to the Marienplatz station – make sure you get up and are ready to disembark with luggage as you will have little time to get off. Push button in door to open. Go up to U-bahn level, follow signs to U-6 (Garching) line. Hop on and ride up to the Freimann stop. Follow directions from U-bahn booklet that ED sends you (from Freimann stop, walk out towards street down stairs, 50’ or so down path, take right to go to street, couple little blocks, then a left, a couple more blocks to the ED entry). Push button, talk to receptionist, begin to get excited. Wait for some nice person to come out and let you in. Check in at reception, go up and get a nice meal in the café (I recommend the veggie/bean/tuna wrap), wait for Bernhard or one of his colleagues to go over the details of driving in Austria etc. My son tips his glass over, it breaks; Bernhard happily explains that this means we will have good luck! And so we do.
Then the moment arrives and you walk down and thru the magic door into the delivery garage. Your car is there. In our case, an E90 335 ZSP Montego blue, beige w/poplar. It is beautiful. Stunning. Chat with Bernhard (a very smart, nice person), he tells us that we are the first E90 335 ED. We learn about the car, latest info about BMWs. [photos of Rick & Bernhard w/ car]. But the anticipation is overwhelming. Bernhard tells you how to get out to the right and between some buildings, then left to the gate; stop and talk to guard, get directions to Harms in Garching (we decided to get the paperwork done right away so we could drop the car off Sunday night), and off we go. Perfect weather, 70s and sunshine. Out to A9, up north to Garching exit . Left a few kilometers down, right onto Robert Bosch St., down to the end, up the ramp to the second floor, #13 is Harms. Buzz the Harms box, wait for Thomas. Go up, sign the papers. Head back out to the autobahn. Cruise thru Munich on the mittelring. Try and find good classical music station on radio (it would be useful if ED gave you a list of Munich stations). South down the autobahn towards Garmisch. West on some little roads over to Fussen. Car handles superbly, scenery is awesome; gentle cattle bells wafting across the meadows, golden late afternoon sun. Up to the Neuschwanstein; polezei admire car and let us thru – highly recommend the hotel (Hotel Schwanstein) that is just under the castle, because you can hike around the castle and the great trails early in the morning before crowds get there. It is about 70 euros, get there before 6:30 if you want dinner. We were late and made do with the fruit bowl and some chocolate.
Friday AM: Got up early and hiked. Wonderful. Then the hoards of tourists began to swarm in. We headed back for breakfast, picked up and checked out. Decided to drive to Italy. Put a few more break-in miles on cruising the alpinestrasse, then headed up the utzal valley towards the Timmelsjoch. Drive moderately, getting a feel for the car. Awesome scenery. The beemers and other bikes roll by. I pick it up a bit once we get into the serious twisties, and am astonished at the ability of the 335 to keep up with the bikes. This is the quickest car that I have ever driven. We reached the summit and the toll guy asked how the car was and gave us some cool Timmelsjoch stickers. I highly recommend this route to those that are not intimidated by 12’ wide road surface with sheer drop-offs with no guard rails. I wanted to see the glacier where Utzi the iceman (the 5,000 year-old frozen guy) was found. [photos]. Not sure if we did, but my son was really starting to enjoy Europe. A gaggle of Mini Coopers (the genuine old version) went by, then later a pack of Lotus Elise. I did not feel out of place. In fact several Lotus heads swiveled to check out the double piped rear of the 335. At the bottom of the Italian side we headed up to the grau pass. Then down to Bolzen, stopped for some gelato – fabulous. Vineyards, fruit trees, … I love the Italian side of the Alps. Regretted that we did not have time to head down to the lake district and some windsurfing. Also sorry we passed up paragliding. But we were here to experience the 335, so back on the autobahn and east to Innsbruck. Stopped at an Aldi and got some excellent bread, cheese, and yoghurt. Northwest to Garmisch. Found our hotel, super nice owner. Walked to look and find grub. Great dinner at Renzo’s – highly recommended, I got the risotto with chantarelles and Rick ate a whole pizza. Less than 20 euros, friendliest waiters on the planet. Walked backed and slept well.
Saturday: Great breakfast, caught the early train up to the Zugspitze. [photos]. Rick had fun with the Ravens at the top and listening to the folk music. Down the cable car to the alpensee, great Bavarian meal at the hotel restaurant. Nice hike around the lake, back down to Garmisch on the train. Picked up a few gifts, then off hiking to the Partnachlamm. Stopped for apple fizzes in a beer garten in the middle of an alpine meadow. Thru the gorge, stopped to watch kids play futbol in the Olympic stadium. Back to hotel, then off to Renzo’s for a second try. Rigatoni with a great sauce & chianti.
Slept in Sunday AM, great coffee. Back on the autobahn back to Munich – enjoyed demonstrating the potential of the bi-turbo to a MB 500. Tee-hee. Found a parking spot and walked to our hotel – the hotel Atria, great location, reasonable price. Spent the day walking around the most wonderful city in the world. Where else are the parking spots filled with Porsches, Smart cars, Fiat 600s, and even a BMW 507? Surfing in the Englischergarten. Street concertos in the Marienplatz. Brilliant creative people maximizing fun. Nice meal in a café at the back of an art museum. Then we clean out the car and drive it up to Harms in Garching. Say our goodbyes and take last photos, hike to the U-bahn stop. Hop the train down to the Odeonsplatz, walk back to hotel.
Monday AM: Wake up, get breakfast, wheel our bags to the S-bahn stop in Mariensplatz. Catch the train to the flughofen. Crowded airport, grabbed some boxes of chocolates and futbol jerseys for the folks back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deliver.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	86877   Click image for larger version

Name:	ludwig approves.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	86878   Click image for larger version

Name:	octopus seats[1].jpg
Views:	779
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	86879   Click image for larger version

Name:	where are those slow #B84A7.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	86880   Click image for larger version

Name:	do not miss a turn.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	86881  

Click image for larger version

Name:	It mutated overnight.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	86882   Click image for larger version

Name:	go hike[1].jpg
Views:	422
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	86883   Click image for larger version

Name:	goodbye.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	86884  
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2003 530i and 2000 328i
awesome, looks like the weather was great!
Ed
Old 09-30-2006, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
great

sounds like you had a blast. I know my ED was one of the best experiences in my life. There is no question I will do it again on my next car. BTW, admirable of you to take your son with you. What a great experience for the both of you.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:26 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
That's a sharp color.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E92 ED 10/30/06
Thanks for the write up. Especially about the S-bahn / U-bahn info.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:42 PM

Thanks guys, it was a perfect trip. 5 days of perfect weather, roads, food, & car. My son had a great time. We cannot recommend the experience more highly. Just awesome.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Congrats, beautiful car. Same color as I'm getting in a month!!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328/335 debate wages war
That's awesome!

I think it's great it was just father and son in Europe. What better way to spend quality time together than a ED. He'll treasure that for the rest of his life.

By the way, is your son brushing up on his german in the car?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Whoa this car is fun

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Fantastic! I'm picking up October 19. First shot I've seen of the sedan. Any recommendations on some good German roads? We're going to go from Munich to Prague and back toward Munich. Vienna worth it?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 911
congrats on the new car. that was great you were able to take your son on the trip, good memories for sure. I can't wait to pick up my car; my wife will be about 20 weeks pregnant during the trip, so we will see how that works out; planned the trip before we knew about the pregnancy! The blue is a great color!
2008 X5--TiAg
2008 M3 vert- sadly traded for 911; very much missed
2007 E90 335i ED on 11/30/06: TiAg/ZSP/black-ette aluminum trim/heated seats -- retired
2007 X3 --platinum bronze/xenons/18's/heated seats --retired
Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
This is the Cubs year)

Mein Auto: camel
This is what father son relationships should be. It is Ok to just have some father son time without the rest of the family. That I'm sure made him feel like the most important thing in the world.

btw i almost got a headache reading your post without the spacing and new paragraphs.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Cool trip, thanks for your report - I especially enjoyed your pictures!

And speaking of pictures, would you happen to have one in which the car's color comes through a little more? From your pics, it looks very similar to Avus blue, but from some of the other pics floating on the net, it could be closer to Estoril...

Now the wait begins, but you have the pictures and memories to keep your spirits up until re-delivery in the US...

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Bravo!
Perhaps one day I get to experience the same thing

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Sorry about the format; I cut and pasted from a Word doc and the paragraph indents did not carry through.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Great roads to drive in europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgage2u View Post
Fantastic! I'm picking up October 19. First shot I've seen of the sedan. Any recommendations on some good German roads? We're going to go from Munich to Prague and back toward Munich. Vienna worth it?
I would ask Bernhard for his recommendations on great roads. There are a ton of spectacular drives, hard to go wrong btw Prague & Munich, depends on how much time you have. I would suggest perusing the Germany tourism website
http://visit-germany.info/web/en_uk/...tm?tl=FSTRASSE
and the michelin map website.
http://www.viamichelin.com/
I would consider driving up to Regensberg and drinking some wine by the Danube, then over to Prague, then down to Salzberg or Berchtesgaden, and then for the real fun roads head into the Austrian alps. For break-in cruise to places like Regensberg, Augsberg, and Salzberg, or maybe as much of the Romantic or Alpine Roads as possible in a relaxed fashion for the first week, and then test out the serious alpine twisties -- timmelsjoch, grossglockner, zillertal, zillergrund, etc. Finish with some limited high speed action on the autobahn back to Munich (A9, A8, A99).

I think I tried to start a thread on great roads in europe -- I forget how far we got with it, but perhaps a poll is in order...
Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 11 E70 x35D
Great report! I think that driving on the autobahn and passing some of the natives must have been a great feeling! I hope to one day drive the autobahn. Thanks again for sharing
05 E83 X3 3.0*
02 E39 540i*
* Retired/Sold
Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 AM

I am hoping that my 335 is on the Liberty too; for some odd reason it is not showing up on the dealer's computer access.

Edit: drat, just found out that I'm on the Mignon. Long wait for that ship to get over here.

Last edited by stressdoc; 10-09-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Aren't you supposed to keeps speeds down until after break-in? How fast did you go?

I was in German in February and rented a Mercedes E200 Kompressor. It would "only" do 142 mph flat out (I had my GPS with me). What a great trip.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM

No GPS, so just the speedo readings. After a fairly gentle 500 kms break in, we worked the alpine twisties pretty hard, but no prolonged stress. Then at about 750 kms we repeatedly accelerated at almost 100% from about 80 kph up to 200+ kph, off and on with traffic flow south of Munich. There was nothing that could accelerate with the 335. I did not want to run it at high speeds for an extended period, nor max it out. Just a bit of ring settling.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:30 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Very nice. I like the color too.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Highlander
can you do ED w/ leases?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf5128 View Post
can you do ED w/ leases?
Yep. Search the forums. I'm sure blueguy can help too.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:54 PM

And the saga continues...

I have been watching the progress of our 335s from Munich - Bremerhaven - on board the Mignon - discharge at NY port with a great bunch of fellow E90posters (another awesome thing about being on E90post).
http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32600

And now it looks like she may be off the ship and on her way to her new home in MO! Those of you that may be hesitating about ED because you are concerned about the wait, fear not. It can happen as fast as a regular delivery, start to finish, depending of course on how long you stay in euro, driving in paradise.

Track By Auto
Cargo Status History
Cargo Id : WBA
Booking Number : DEEH Bill Number : DE5
Vessel: MIGNON Port of origin : BREMERHAVEN
Voyage : EA640-MIG Port of Destination : NEW YORK, NY
Priority : Customer Ref. Nbr:

Status Port Time(dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm)

DISCHARGED NEW YORK, NY 19/10/2006 13:00
LOADED ON VESSEL BREMERHAVEN 05/10/2006 13:15
RECEIVED AT TERMINAL BREMERHAVEN 03/10/2006 17:34
BOOKED BREMEN 29/09/2006 11:02
Old 10-21-2006, 05:02 PM
The best BMW ever!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
Thanks for sharing your trip doc...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM

5 years after...

Still having a great time with this car. Installed a Quaife LSD and M3 + BMW Performance suspension bits. Looking forward to F30 Msport release in fall 2012!