Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Exclamation Problems starting

I have searched the forums, but haven't found a good answer for this.

Here's my problem:

It started out once every week or so, but now it's dang near every day, sometimes a couple of times a day.

I unlock with the key remote, get in, and try to start the car. All lights come on, but no engaging of the starter. I turn off, and try again. Sometimes it fires right up, sometimes i remove the key and try again. Sometimes, i have to get out of the car, close the door, lock it, unlock it, then try again. Sometimes that doesn't work. Sometimes i roll down get out, lock with drivers door open, close it, then open the door causing the alarm to go off, shut it off, then get in and start it, or any combination of what's listed above. Any ideas? Could it be the battery is going dead in my key?? If so, if I change the battery, do i have to reset the key for the car?

Please help! this is driving me crazy!

PS: I've also had the issue where once the car is locked for a minute or two, the alarm goes off. I've tried pushing the lock button on the key 1 second after i lock it and that seems to work 99% of the time, but sometimes not. Maybe those times i don't actually hit it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I know you guys know the answer!
Ads by Google
Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
anybody??
Old 10-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 528i, 2000 528iT Sport
We have had the same problem with one of our valet keys. I think it is either a defective chip in the key or a problem with the chip being out of synch with the car's security system. You might want to re-synch the key and see if that helps. I don't know the procedure offhand.

If nothing else works I guess you can see your friendly BMW dealer.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Wrenchin'

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsavory View Post
We have had the same problem with one of our valet keys. I think it is either a defective chip in the key or a problem with the chip being out of synch with the car's security system. You might want to re-synch the key and see if that helps. I don't know the procedure offhand.

If nothing else works I guess you can see your friendly BMW dealer.
same problem here but not as severe. dealer will be able to help if you're able to repeat the problem with them there and given your case, it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem. nobody on this forum has been able to help out with this issue and searches haven't helped much either.