Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X5 3.0si
2007 X5 3.0 problem?

Hi all,

Do you have any problems with your 2007 X5 3.0? I heard a lot of problems with the 4.0i, how about 3.0?

Considering X5 3.0 but very concern about its reliability.

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: LEXUS
Im in the same boat as you. . .
Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: '07 X5 3.0
Mines fine so far but only 220 miles on it.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E70 3.0
There are known problems that I'm experiencing right now like DVD player problem and defective running boards. I've seen people posting negative things about the X5 but these did not stop me from getting one. It's all about what you want to drive every day. Little problems can be annoying but that's what the warranty is for and BMW has the best maintenance package ever.
2007 E70 3.0 Jet Black/Black Nevada Leather/Dark Bamboo Trim, Sport, Premium, Technology & Rear Climate Package, Rear Entertainment, Running Boards, 3rd row seat and Ipod Adapter. Mods: 5% Tint, Debadged, Smoked Tail Lights, Yakima Roof Rack System.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0si
Approaching 5000 miles. Back-up camera had problems but was replaced. Middle seat belt lost tension and will get replaced soon. Other than those two issues, no real reliability problems.
2007 X5 3.0si (3 week order to delivery) - Sapphire Black, Black Nevada, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Active Ventilated, Technology, HUD, Comfort Access, Running Boards, Zaino, 3M Crystalline 40% Front/70% Everything Else
Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 AM
BMW Addict

Mein Auto: 13 740i/12 328i
Blower motor replacement and MULF2 control module replacement for iPod issue. 800 miles and no other problems (fingers crossed). Both of these issues effect 4.8 as well, though.
2009 335i Jet Black/Oyster/Dark Burl (Sold)
2007 X5 Black Sapphire/Beige (Sold)
2007 335iC Alpine White/Red (ED 11/15/06) (Sold)
2004 545ia Jet Black/Black (Retired)
2001 525ia Jet Black/Sand (Retired)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: E70
Problem?

Since this Jan, drove over 12000 miles and only one problem. Backup camera! Replaced and works great so far. Best SAV!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: X5
2,000 miles on my 2007 4.8 and only problem has been the iPod adaptor, which is finally being addressed with a MULF replacement.

I disagree with King Alii. Just because BMW give you maintenance items for free for four years, does not make it the best. You pay up front for those items on BMW. I know that the cost of maintenance on an Acura added up to about $1,500 over four years. Additionally, BMW's warranty compares unfavorably to Lexus, Inifinit, Acura and even Cadillac notably in drive train protection, which BMW stops after 4 years, while most every other non-German manufacturer extends for 6+ years.

Additionally, I would say the sales and service experience is among the worst I have ever experienced in 20+ years of car ownership.

We bought our X5 for the sheer driving experience. Put simply, the car is a joy to drive. If any other attribute such as safety ratings, warranty coverage, service, value, build quality, etc is a more important factor for you, BMW probably isn't the manufacturer for you. Not that BMW is "bad" in these respects--other companies, notably the Japanese, just do it better for less.

Probably not a popular thing to say on a BMW board so let me again stress what a thrill it is to be behind the wheel of our X5.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat15 View Post
2,000 miles on my 2007 4.8 and only problem has been the iPod adaptor, which is finally being addressed with a MULF replacement.

I disagree with King Alii. Just because BMW give you maintenance items for free for four years, does not make it the best. You pay up front for those items on BMW. I know that the cost of maintenance on an Acura added up to about $1,500 over four years. Additionally, BMW's warranty compares unfavorably to Lexus, Inifinit, Acura and even Cadillac notably in drive train protection, which BMW stops after 4 years, while most every other non-German manufacturer extends for 6+ years.

Additionally, I would say the sales and service experience is among the worst I have ever experienced in 20+ years of car ownership.

We bought our X5 for the sheer driving experience. Put simply, the car is a joy to drive. If any other attribute such as safety ratings, warranty coverage, service, value, build quality, etc is a more important factor for you, BMW probably isn't the manufacturer for you. Not that BMW is "bad" in these respects--other companies, notably the Japanese, just do it better for less.

Probably not a popular thing to say on a BMW board so let me again stress what a thrill it is to be behind the wheel of our X5.
"I've seen people posting negative things about the X5 but these did not stop me from getting one. It's all about what you want to drive every day. Little problems can be annoying but that's what the warranty is for and BMW has the best maintenance package ever."

BMW is no Acura. Yes, Japanese cars are better in a lot of criteria, reliability, cost of ownership etc. But just like what I said, it's all about feeling good about what you drive. If I want practicallity, of course I will get an Acura/Toyota. But I want to drive a BMW, that's what counts. I still think nobody can match BMW's maintenance package. Yes, you can say that you pay for it upfront with a higher price tag on the car. The way I look at it, I'm willing to pay a higher price tag because I want to drive a BMW and I feel good about driving one. I lease the car for 3 years. Just put gas and purchase insurance. Turn the car in after 3 years and get a new BMW. I don't really need the warranty to go over 4 years. I don't know about your service experience. Being a BMW owner for the last few years, I've been very happy with the sales & service department. It all depends on where you live and your dealership. I've been going to the same dealer for sales and service and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
2007 E70 3.0 Jet Black/Black Nevada Leather/Dark Bamboo Trim, Sport, Premium, Technology & Rear Climate Package, Rear Entertainment, Running Boards, 3rd row seat and Ipod Adapter. Mods: 5% Tint, Debadged, Smoked Tail Lights, Yakima Roof Rack System.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_alii View Post
"I lease the car for 3 years. Just put gas and purchase insurance. Turn the car in after 3 years and get a new BMW. I don't really need the warranty to go over 4 years. I don't know about your service experience.
Thanks king_alii. In my case, I am expecting to keep it 4 years+ ... so reliability play a bigger factor in my purchase decision. I don't expect X5 will be as trouble free as a Lexus or an Infiniti, however, I just want to make sure that it will not be a money pit after 4 years.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 99 528i, 97 M3, 07 X5
3k Mi on our 3.0 X5 with no problems. Love it lots!
Phil 4:13

2000 Dodge 4X4 - Sanger Puller
97 M3
99 528i
2007 3.0 X5
Old 09-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5
IMO BMW's warranty is worthless. BMW is refusing to replace the MULF2 in my X5 3.0 for the iPod issue. It is very fun to drive but I feel ripped off by their refusal to fix a known issue
that is supposed to be covered under warranty. 300 miles driven thus far.

Have never had a service problem like this with BMW in the past. My current poor customer service experience will not be quickly forgotten and is enough to make me seriously consider buying japanese next time.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Looking for an E60 M5

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0, 2008 535i
Most items get fixed pretty quickly but I have a couple that have not been fixed and I get the impression they will not fix them.

1. I have a Nokia cell phone with Bluetooth. It does not work. I would think the largest cell phone company in the world would get priority. Well it would if it was German.

2. My steering wheel moves when I get out of the car. It does not return when I get back in. According to the service agent it is my fault for knocking the seat controls every time I get out of the car (I can get out really careful and it is still my fault).

Other than those two annoyances I love the car. I will probably swap my lease next year when the diesel comes over. It will cost less to run and go faster.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firepig View Post
IMO BMW's warranty is worthless. BMW is refusing to replace the MULF2 in my X5 3.0 for the iPod issue. It is very fun to drive but I feel ripped off by their refusal to fix a known issue
that is supposed to be covered under warranty. 300 miles driven thus far.

Have never had a service problem like this with BMW in the past. My current poor customer service experience will not be quickly forgotten and is enough to make me seriously consider buying japanese next time.
There's a SIB for the 6FL issue. How about going to another dealer or filing complaint with BMWNA.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Most items get fixed pretty quickly but I have a couple that have not been fixed and I get the impression they will not fix them.

1. I have a Nokia cell phone with Bluetooth. It does not work. I would think the largest cell phone company in the world would get priority. Well it would if it was German.
They cannot fix the BT issue if your phone is not on their compatible list. I have a $600 Treo and it does not pair well. My daughters cheap Motorola Razor pairs right away and call quality is great. The Razor is on their list, the Treo is not. They're using a cheap, low end BT kit on the X5 that can only pair well with specific units.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Looking for an E60 M5

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0, 2008 535i
My phone pairs instantly. Just will not communicate.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
My phone pairs instantly. Just will not communicate.
Same here. Pairing any BT phone is not a problem. Communicating with the car kit is the issue. My Treo pairs but will drop BT connection in the middle of the call. Just one sign of incompatibility.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW x5
I get "Malfunction on seat position detection" error message each time I start my 3.0si. I tried to calibrate it but not successfully.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_alii View Post
There's a SIB for the 6FL issue. How about going to another dealer or filing complaint with BMWNA.
Why should the customer have to "file a complaint" and play "dealer roulette" to get a problem resolved with a vehicle under warranty? A warranty built into the vehicle price that we paid for.

BMW exists for profit. The iPod is a $300 option. It costs more in parts and labor to do the right thing and back the warranty with a MULF2 replacement.

This is classic corporate culture at work in our society today. Wear the customer down with spin, bureaucracy, future promises and hope we go away or "live with it".

BMW's lack of consistency and refusal to acknowledge the 6FL issue with my x5 and others in this forum is inexcusable.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0si
mine clunks like an elf with a hammer lives under my x5. nice....
Old 09-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firepig View Post
Why should the customer have to "file a complaint" and play "dealer roulette" to get a problem resolved with a vehicle under warranty? A warranty built into the vehicle price that we paid for.

BMW exists for profit. The iPod is a $300 option. It costs more in parts and labor to do the right thing and back the warranty with a MULF2 replacement.

This is classic corporate culture at work in our society today. Wear the customer down with spin, bureaucracy, future promises and hope we go away or "live with it".

BMW's lack of consistency and refusal to acknowledge the 6FL issue with my x5 and others in this forum is inexcusable.
Welcome to the corporate world today where companies will do anything to cut corners and save a buck. We can all moan and complaint about how we should all be treated as a customer and things like these are inexcusable but at the end of the day, nobody will listen if we don't make a noise. I'm merely suggesting the fact that not all dealers are the same so taking an issue to another dealer may not mean the same negative results. Escalating an issue to BMWNA is another step to letting them know that somebody is unhappy. Other than that, the reasoning of "why should I have to do this" will get us nowhere. The choice is simple, deal and fight the issue or be unhappy and not buy a BMW next time. The grass is greener on the other side.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Approx 2,000 miles on my 2007 X5 3.0 and the transmission does not shift out of 1st gear. It takes a long time to shift and almost feels like the car is going to stall. Brought it in to get fixed and was told the cooling fan needed to be replaced. However, the car still does not shift and now they tell me the Driver needs to be replaced. Will take 1-2 weeks just to get the part from Germany. This will be the last BMW I ever get! Hopefully I will be able to get rid of it through the LEMON law.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
My 2007 X5 Problems

I just wanted to share with you some of my problems that I have been having. I am not disappointed with the car itself I am just disappointed with the car dealership not helping me. They do not return my calls and they just need to admit they do not know how to fix it! The sterring wheel does not stay where I set it to stay. I have to adjust it every time I get into it. The I-drive menu lets you set the lights to the very brightest for the i-drive screen but every time I shut the X5 off and get back in to start it it, it resets it self back to medium brightness. I ordered my X5 with the DVD player for my daughter and it plays only when it wants to. She cries most of the time because it will not work properly. It is very nice to have when it works because it keeps the kids quite. I got my X5 in July and it is now Dec. and my sterring wheel is starting to make noises when I turn it. The dealership told me that the engineers have been working on this software issue and the new software will be out this past Sept. well they have been avoiding me since Sept. obviously they do not know how to fix it. I have called the BMWUSA and they do not help me either. They said that they would contact the dealership but no one has helped yet. I have been very nice but now I have decided that has not gotten me any where. I plan to go in next week and show myself. I paid over $60,000 for my X5 and do not owe them anything! They have just forgotten about me! I expected more! The drive is very nice but the bells and whistles have not been very good! All the electronics have been the issue for me! My husband tells me that they do not make things like they use to and that is what I get for having all the fancy stuff! Good Luck!

wmelissa
Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0i
1 minor problem

I got my 2007 X5 in Sep and it has about 4100 miles on it now. Running smooth. No issues. Love the drive.

One minor problem came up at 600 miles. The TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) light turned on randomly...even when there was no problem in the tires. Had to take it to the dealer twice to get a part replaced. It was the antenna that sends the signal from the tires to idrive that was bad. After that, no issues at all.

Prior to me buying one, I had read about the problems....but that didn't stop me from getting one. Even if you do come across some problems....BMW has the best maintenance/warranty package of 'em all.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:29 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmelissa View Post
I just wanted to share with you some of my problems that I have been having. I am not disappointed with the car itself I am just disappointed with the car dealership not helping me. They do not return my calls and they just need to admit they do not know how to fix it! The sterring wheel does not stay where I set it to stay. I have to adjust it every time I get into it. The I-drive menu lets you set the lights to the very brightest for the i-drive screen but every time I shut the X5 off and get back in to start it it, it resets it self back to medium brightness. I ordered my X5 with the DVD player for my daughter and it plays only when it wants to. She cries most of the time because it will not work properly. It is very nice to have when it works because it keeps the kids quite. I got my X5 in July and it is now Dec. and my sterring wheel is starting to make noises when I turn it. The dealership told me that the engineers have been working on this software issue and the new software will be out this past Sept. well they have been avoiding me since Sept. obviously they do not know how to fix it. I have called the BMWUSA and they do not help me either. They said that they would contact the dealership but no one has helped yet. I have been very nice but now I have decided that has not gotten me any where. I plan to go in next week and show myself. I paid over $60,000 for my X5 and do not owe them anything! They have just forgotten about me! I expected more! The drive is very nice but the bells and whistles have not been very good! All the electronics have been the issue for me! My husband tells me that they do not make things like they use to and that is what I get for having all the fancy stuff! Good Luck!

wmelissa

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.