Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 10-09-2006, 05:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to s0caL.e39
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Question 528i moonroof ?'s

First off i'd like to say this DIY forum has helped me out tremendously and thanks to all.

The moonroof has been given me problems for awhile now. While open and when pressing the button all the way forward the moonroof begins to slide forward. However, just as it is about to fully close itself, it automatically opens back up about 3 inches. And in order to fully close it the button has to be pressed with a series of quick short presses which causes almost a grinding type of sound for split second after shut.

Also, I have never been able to get it to tilt either. When I attempt to you can hear what must be the motor to the roof starting and a horrible sound. It seems that the moonroof is stuck in the flat position and wont budge up. Any help would be appreciated and thanks again.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2006, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
Hi. I am having almost the exact same problem on my 01 525i. Have you heard from anyone with a solution, or have you otherwise resolved theproblem?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: '97 528i
Try this:

Reset sunroof or window by holding down the close switch button for approximately 15-30 seconds; otherwise, check for mechanical failure.

http://www.540i6.com/probsfixes.html

Also, you could try 'rebooting' the car by disconnecting the battery ground strap for 5 minutes. This will reset all your electronics including your radio presets and your ECM fuel management system. This just means your car's computer will relearn your driving habits all over again. No big deal. As always, don't create a spark next to the battery. I always disconnect the ground strap from the car body, not the battery.

You might have to maually close the sunroof first (if it's not closing) using the tool in the trunk lid's tool case - see your owner's manual. You can try it both ways if it doesn't work the first time.

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned grinding sounds. That's not good. Once you get it closed I wouldn't open it again until I was ready to have the mechanism replaced. Not an easy DIY.

Last edited by St8kout; 11-05-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura TL
If your sunroof wont tilt, sorry to say this but its dead. Do you hear ticking or a rapid set of clicks from the roof area?

Anyway... Look for my walkthrough on how to remove and replace the sunroof. I'll try to get it uploaded this weekend.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to s0caL.e39
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rd View Post
If your sunroof wont tilt, sorry to say this but its dead. Do you hear ticking or a rapid set of clicks from the roof area?

Anyway... Look for my walkthrough on how to remove and replace the sunroof. I'll try to get it uploaded this weekend.
I've tried the few remedies that have been posted in here and I'm sorry to say none have worked. The reseting of the window actually made it worse! I do hear a series of clicks and will appreciate it whenever you get that walkthrough uploaded! Thanks to all who've tried to help out!