Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 10-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Montoya and NASCAR***SPOILER***

I'm starting this thread because it seems that even though many people here find NASCAR repugnant, there continues to be some interest in Juan Pablo's future in racing. Some, as I, think he has great potential and driving skills. Paired with the right car and team, I believe he can succeed in any series. Soooooooooooo, in order to keep the JPM news out of the F1 thread(s) [where it clearly doesn't belong any more], I'm starting a new one. Since it's marked as a spoiler, you're free to give results without being flamed.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:

Old 10-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Shouldn't the thread title be "Crash Montoya and NASCRAP ***spoilers don't matter***"

Sorry...couldn't resist
Old 10-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M Coupe + others
I hate NASCAR, but love Montoya and am interested in watching his NASCAR adventures...so I like the thread.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98 View Post
I hate NASCAR, but love Montoya and am interested in watching his NASCAR adventures...so I like the thread.
Thank you very much...matches my sentiments.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
I'm not a big fan of watching the roundy-round (although the actual driving is something entirely different), NASCAR on a road course is truly fantastic.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Jayhawk

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
I have started watching Nascar more of late because I love just about anything that involves four wheels and driving fast. It is my least favorite form of paved track racing but can be interesting.

JPM was my favorite F1 driver and I was dissapointed to see him leave the series. With that said, I will follow his career in Nascar closely.

His first ARCA race this past weekend was nothing short of outstanding! Speed News did a great indepth feature on him that included his discussions with his spotter and team manager. I was impressed at his attitude toward learning in the early stages of the race and then how he took control toward the end. His save when he was hit was unbelievable. There are not many drivers in any series that would have kept that car on the road in that situation.

I can't wait to see JPM at the Glen and Infineon!

Keep the thread alive!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I am now ready for the:

JV and CRASHCAR *** SPOILER ***

Lets have it Berford!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I am now ready for the:

JV and CRASHCAR *** SPOILER ***

Lets have it Berford!

Have you ever seen Jacques featured in my signature? That should be a clue regarding my interest in a thread of that nature. Perhaps I would show a passing interest if you started such a thread. Or maybe franka would like to do so.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Have you ever seen Jacques featured in my signature? That should be a clue regarding my interest in a thread of that nature. Perhaps I would show a passing interest if you started such a thread. Or maybe franka would like to do so.
I have had sigs turned OFF since 2001, so I really can't say!

Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I have had sigs turned OFF since 2001, so I really can't say!

I see. Well, if you would turn them back on temporarily, you'd see that Montoya is featured as one of my favorites--has been for years...and Jacques, um, ISN'T. Although I don't have anything against JV, he just doesn't do anything for me (although I enjoyed reading his parting shots at MS--sure, they amount to sour grapes, but they're mostly on point, IMHO.)

I truly believe that JPM is one of the very best at the game. Many people think he is overly brash, but I see him as cutting through the BS and getting to the point of the matter without worrying about being politically correct (as shown in the first posted on the F1 thread [post number 1001, courtesy of #98] showing his "discussion" about Spoonface's dangerous move against him.) And although there are those who believe all of his accidents are the result of his errant driving, I believe he has been the victim in at least half the incidents he's been involved in in F1. Of course he will never (or seldom) admit fault unreservedly, he HAS been at fault at times. I think it's just the nature of the beast not to admit fault in F1 (and other sports.) It may, indeed, be more prevalent in motor sports because of societal conditioning (if you can stomach that term--perhaps my coinage; perhaps not). That is, when most anyone is faced with reporting his or her version of an auto accident to the authorities, it's natural to look for blame in others, not yourself. To me, it doesn't look or sound stupid, it sounds human. Enough already.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:33 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Too bad he doesn't drive as well as he talks.

Same with JV.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: M Coupe + others
interesting article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...t&lid=tab5pos2
Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 AM
Awesome power!

Lest we lose sight of what's happening to JPM, here's a career update: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17706.html

Key here: "He's going to be good." YUP.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Jayhawk

JPM Website is back up

JPM's personal website is back up. Since he left Maclaren it has been down but his NASCAR info is now up. Some pages are still under construction.

http://www.jpmontoya.com/Templates/s...x?Page_ID=2669&
Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Thanks for the link KU Ned. I was browsing the website and read through his career stats.

It says he became CART champ in 1999, but finished 9th in the next season. Was he driving for the same team in 2000? If yes, why did he fail to repeat the previous year's success?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann View Post
It says he became CART champ in 1999, but finished 9th in the next season. Was he driving for the same team in 2000? If yes, why did he fail to repeat the previous year's success?
In 2000 Team Ganassi switched from Honda to (then unproven) Toyota. The gamble didn't pay off.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
In 2000 Team Ganassi switched from Honda to (then unproven) Toyota. The gamble didn't pay off.

Ah, that explains it then. Thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Jayhawk

Don't let it die

From Montoya's site:

Montoya Finishes 28th in Busch Series Race at Texas

FORT WORTH, Texas (November 4, 2006) - Juan Pablo Montoya finished 28th in his second NASCAR start in the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge at Texas Motor Speedway. The team made an unscheduled pit stop on lap 42 when the Dodge Charger made contact with the outside wall and were unable to make up the laps.

“The Texaco/Havoline Dodge was a little tight all day,” said Montoya. “I clipped the wall early in the race that put us a few laps down. It was definitely a top-10 car, but we are here to learn and get prepared for next season. We qualified well, the car ran well and I learned a lot and that’s why I’m here.”

Montoya qualified for the O’Reilly Challenge in the 10th position, but had to drop to the rear of the field for the green flag. The left-front valance was damaged after Montoya’s qualifying effort, and due to NASCAR’s impound policy the Texaco/Havoline crew could not fix the car until the race. Crew chief Brad Parrott didn’t want to take any chances at the start of the race, so he called Montoya down pit road during the warm-up laps to repair the valance. NASCAR rules state Montoya now had to drop back to the tail end of the longest line for the start.

Montoya told Parrott the car was initially loose shortly after NASCAR waved the green flag. When the caution flag fell on lap 4, Montoya drove the Texaco/Havoline Dodge down pit road for a wedge adjustment and fuel. Racing resumed on lap 8 with Montoya in the 34th position. By lap 20, Montoya had maneuvered the No. 42 Dodge around four cars to take over the 30th position.

The caution flag waved on lap 29, and Montoya relayed to the team the car was still very loose. He pitted on lap 31 and the Texaco/Havoline team made several changes. After making an air pressure adjustment in the right-rear tire, the crew changed all four Goodyear’s, took a spring rubber out of the right rear and made a chassis adjustment. The team’s quick stop moved Montoya up to 25th for the restart on lap 34.

Montoya soon found himself involved in three-wide racing. He was caught up in the outside groove when he made contact with the wall. The Texaco/Havoline Dodge was damaged on the right side, so Montoya came down pit road to have the fenders pulled out and right side tires put on the car. By lap 42, Montoya was now in the 41st position and two laps down to the leaders.

The caution finally waved on lap 64 with just 30 cars remaining on the lead lap. Montoya pitted on lap 71 to have a spring rubber removed from the left rear, the trackbar raised, four tires changed and fuel. The green flag waved on lap 73 with Montoya in 34th. Attrition would help the Texaco/Havoline team as Montoya took over the 33rd position when the No. 4 car pitted on lap 77, and moved up to the 32nd spot after a two-car incident on lap 78.

Although Montoya told Parrott the car was tight and he was laps down to the leader, his lap times were comparable to those running in the top 15. There were only 22 cars remaining on the lead lap when green-flag pit stops began on lap 135. Parrott called Montoya down pit road on lap 137 for a routine stop of four tires and fuel.

Montoya used the closing laps to work on his lap times while running with the top five cars despite being three laps down. He finished his second NASCAR Busch Series race in the 28th position. Montoya’s Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates teammate Reed Sorenson finished 36th.

Montoya and the Texaco/Havoline team will compete again next weekend in the NASCAR Busch Series race at Phoenix International Raceway. It will be Montoya’s third Busch Series competition of his career.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU Ned View Post
From Montoya's site:

Montoya Finishes 28th in Busch Series Race at Texas

FORT WORTH, Texas (November 4, 2006) - Juan Pablo Montoya finished 28th in his second NASCAR start in the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge at Texas Motor Speedway. The team made an unscheduled pit stop on lap 42 when the Dodge Charger made contact with the outside wall and were unable to make up the laps.

“The Texaco/Havoline Dodge was a little tight all day,” said Montoya. “I clipped the wall early in the race that put us a few laps down. It was definitely a top-10 car, but we are here to learn and get prepared for next season. We qualified well, the car ran well and I learned a lot and that’s why I’m here.”

Montoya qualified for the O’Reilly Challenge in the 10th position, but had to drop to the rear of the field for the green flag. The left-front valance was damaged after Montoya’s qualifying effort, and due to NASCAR’s impound policy the Texaco/Havoline crew could not fix the car until the race. Crew chief Brad Parrott didn’t want to take any chances at the start of the race, so he called Montoya down pit road during the warm-up laps to repair the valance. NASCAR rules state Montoya now had to drop back to the tail end of the longest line for the start.

Montoya told Parrott the car was initially loose shortly after NASCAR waved the green flag. When the caution flag fell on lap 4, Montoya drove the Texaco/Havoline Dodge down pit road for a wedge adjustment and fuel. Racing resumed on lap 8 with Montoya in the 34th position. By lap 20, Montoya had maneuvered the No. 42 Dodge around four cars to take over the 30th position.

The caution flag waved on lap 29, and Montoya relayed to the team the car was still very loose. He pitted on lap 31 and the Texaco/Havoline team made several changes. After making an air pressure adjustment in the right-rear tire, the crew changed all four Goodyear’s, took a spring rubber out of the right rear and made a chassis adjustment. The team’s quick stop moved Montoya up to 25th for the restart on lap 34.

Montoya soon found himself involved in three-wide racing. He was caught up in the outside groove when he made contact with the wall. The Texaco/Havoline Dodge was damaged on the right side, so Montoya came down pit road to have the fenders pulled out and right side tires put on the car. By lap 42, Montoya was now in the 41st position and two laps down to the leaders.

The caution finally waved on lap 64 with just 30 cars remaining on the lead lap. Montoya pitted on lap 71 to have a spring rubber removed from the left rear, the trackbar raised, four tires changed and fuel. The green flag waved on lap 73 with Montoya in 34th. Attrition would help the Texaco/Havoline team as Montoya took over the 33rd position when the No. 4 car pitted on lap 77, and moved up to the 32nd spot after a two-car incident on lap 78.

Although Montoya told Parrott the car was tight and he was laps down to the leader, his lap times were comparable to those running in the top 15. There were only 22 cars remaining on the lead lap when green-flag pit stops began on lap 135. Parrott called Montoya down pit road on lap 137 for a routine stop of four tires and fuel.

Montoya used the closing laps to work on his lap times while running with the top five cars despite being three laps down. He finished his second NASCAR Busch Series race in the 28th position. Montoya’s Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates teammate Reed Sorenson finished 36th.

Montoya and the Texaco/Havoline team will compete again next weekend in the NASCAR Busch Series race at Phoenix International Raceway. It will be Montoya’s third Busch Series competition of his career.
Never having been a NASCAR fan, I'm curious whether all runners get this much play-by-play coverage in the press.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:50 PM
It's complicated

Mein Auto: 95 Alpine M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Never having been a NASCAR fan, I'm curious whether all runners get this much play-by-play coverage in the press.

Guess so. I'm a long time NASCAR fan, and I've never heard of this guy.

Quote:
Willie Allen and FitzBradshaw Racing Partner For Phoenix
Rookie driver ready to take on the challenge of Phoenix International Raceway

Nashville, TN - Willie Allen will make his second NASCAR Busch Series start this Saturday at the Arizona Travel 200 at Phoenix International Raceway. Allen's first NASCAR Busch Series attempt came just two weeks ago with FitzBradshaw Racing at Memphis Motorsports Park. Qualifying an amazing 4th, Allen made a strong impression with the FitzBradshaw team and will once again pilot the #14 Family Dollar Dodge this weekend in Phoenix.

"We are looking forward to having Willie in the Family Dollar Dodge in Phoenix," said Team Owner Armando Fitz. "With his qualifying effort in Memphis and the manner in which he raced, he showed that he can compete successfully at the NASCAR Busch Series level."

Allen had the opportunity to become familiar with the Phoenix International Raceway in 2005 driving in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. "Driving in Phoenix is a blast," said Allen. "It is a challenging track and I'm looking forward to taking that challenge with the FitzBradshaw team. I'm very thankful to Armando and the entire crew for giving me another opportunity with them. I think we will have a great weekend."

This has been a very successful year for Allen in short track racing. He was crowned the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series Points Champion at the Music City Motorplex in Nashville and finished 8th nationally in the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series Division IV standings. Allen hopes to stay hot in Phoenix and add to his career total of 69 wins, 118 top 5's and 156 top 10's.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Awesome power!

I guess this qualifies as news...so far, anyway.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17770.html

Good luck to JPM.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
The news is all just as boring as the series. I'm no longer even curious...unsubscribing now.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette View Post
The news is all just as boring as the series. I'm no longer even curious...unsubscribing now.
Your point is made. I don't like NASCAR racing either. But I've always liked Montoya...and I wish him well. Nuf sed.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Too bad he doesn't drive as well as he talks. Same with JV.

That could probably be said about you too. Nothing personal you understand.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy