Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
That could probably be said about you too. Nothing personal you understand.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
You guys are something.

There was not much interest in JPM when I posted about him in the old 2006 F1 thread and his stock car exploits. I was told that I was contaminating the pure blood F1 only thread with that dirty hick stock car stuff and that looser JPM so this thread was started.

I never botherd to look at it since the interest in JPM seemed to be little if any at all. But now I see all the closet JPM fans have come out here.

We'll good for ya'll for having the courage to come out and admit you like JPM.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Bo's ready for the Big 10

Mein Auto: A Murano and Civic Hybrid
Quote:
You guys are something.

There was not much interest in JPM when I posted about him in the old 2006 F1 thread and his stock car exploits. I was told that I was contaminating the pure blood F1 only thread with that dirty hick stock car stuff and that looser JPM so this thread was started.

I never botherd to look at it since the interest in JPM seemed to be little if any at all. But now I see all the closet JPM fans have come out here.

We'll good for ya'll for having the courage to come out and admit you like JPM.

The F1 guys are just scared. The thought of tuning into watch JPM race and then realizing that they like the racing that they see is too much.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:10 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Good article on JPM's race end:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...v=ap&type=lgns

Anyway, I actually watched a few laps during time outs in the Bears-Jets game.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Jayhawk

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
NOT NASCAR Related! - Daytona 24 Spoiler

Great Race this weekend! I could not believe that after 22 hours, three cars were withing 2 seconds of each other. Good to see JPM make history. Only he and Mario Andretti have won the Indy 500, an F1 race and the 24 Hours of Daytona.

From the JPM website.
Juan Pablo Montoya wins the 24 hours @ Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (January 28, 2007)–Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates drivers Scott Pruett, Juan Pablo Montoya and Salvador Duran led 468 of 668 laps at Daytona International Speedway in the No.01 TELMEX/Target Riley to win CGRFS’ second straight Rolex 24 At Daytona. Pruett was behind the wheel when the car rolled off the grid in 12th, and sealed the flawless drive as he crossed the checkered 1:15.842 seconds over his nearest competition.

The team’s sister car (No.02 Target/TELMEX Riley) with defending racewinners Scott Dixon, Dan Wheldon and rookie Memo Rojas started eighth overall and finished 21st in the Daytona Prototype class, leading seven laps and running in the top-five for the majority of the race before a Lap 538 on-track incident relegated them to the garage for the remainder of the event.

The win was a record-breaking event on a number of levels for Chip Ganassi Racing Teams, who posted their 77th win as an organization. Pruett’s second career overall Rolex 24 win (1994 & 2007) tied him for first on the Rolex Series win list with 13 victories (James Weaver), and marked the 2004 Rolex Driver Champion’s seventh 24-hour class win (2007, 2002, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1988, 1987)–another all-time record.

The CGRFS Grand American program also extended its record tallies with 14 wins and 25 podiums, while delivering Lexus its second straight Daytona 24 hour win after scoring its first manufacturer’s title in 2006.

CGRFS’ No.42 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series pilot Montoya made it two-in-a-row for Texaco/Havoline drivers in the Rolex 24 after Casey Mears took them to Victory Lane last season with Target IndyCar drivers Dixon and Wheldon. With the win, Montoya joined fellow Texaco/Havoline racing great Mario Andretti as the only other driver to win the Daytona endurance race, the Indianapolis 500 (2000), a Champ Car title (1999) and a Formula One race.

Also noteworthy is the fact that Montoya won both the Indianapolis 500 and the Rolex 24 at Daytona in his first attempts. Both were with Chip Ganassi Racing, making him the first and only driver to do so with the same team owner. Next up for Montoya will be another first attempt; the Daytona 500 in February in a CGRFS car.

For Duran, the 21-year-old Mexico City native came to CGRFS and left Daytona with a perfect record in his first appearance in the Rolex 24. Never putting a wheel wrong in his driving shifts with Pruett and Montoya, the two-time A1 GP racewinner impressed as the No.01 car took the checkered flag with little to no exterior damage.

Up next for Pruett and Rojas and the No.01 TELMEX team is the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez circuit in Mexico City, March 3rd LIVE on SPEED Channel (Check your local listings).

JUAN PABLO MONTOYA (No.01 TELMEX/Target) “I thought it was pretty tough overall. Max Angelelli and Darren Manning (No.10 car) gave me a run for my money through my last stint, doing everything they could to make my life miserable. I starting thinking about all the things that could go wrong after leading 18-20 hours, and then not winning the race. I wanted to go as fast as I could and pass people, but I also didn’t want to be remembered for taking someone out of the race in its final stages. This is a great win for the team and I look forward to running for Chip and Felix in the upcoming NASCAR season.”

http://www.jpmontoya.com/Home_English/Latest_News/
Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Awesome power!

Good news. Thanks, Ned.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 01-29-2007, 06:45 PM
It's complicated

Mein Auto: 95 Alpine M3
[QUOTE=KU Ned;2145500]
Quote:
Also noteworthy is the fact that Montoya won both the Indianapolis 500 and the Rolex 24 at Daytona in his first attempts. Both were with Chip Ganassi Racing, making him the first and only driver to do so with the same team owner. Next up for Montoya will be another first attempt; the Daytona 500 in February in a CGRFS car.

I'm a huge JPM fan, but I'd bet my house he won't add Daytona to his 'Won it on my first attempt' list.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Bo's ready for the Big 10

Mein Auto: A Murano and Civic Hybrid
[QUOTE=Scott_H;2147002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU Ned View Post

I'm a huge JPM fan, but I'd bet my house he won't add Daytona to his 'Won it on my first attempt' list.
Yep, I don't think anyone is going to follow him on the last lap. If he can latch on to a fast car and stay he might be able to get a second.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Awesome power!

[quote=Scott_H;2147002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU Ned View Post

Wouldn't it be great, though? Think anyone would "help" him out of the race?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
I couldnt care less about NASCRAP or JPMs participation in it.

But thats just me....

Photobucket
Old 01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip View Post

But thats just me....
Fine...and no one is asking you to like or care about either. There does seem to be a fair amount of interest here in JPM, at least. Personally, if I ever watch more than a few minutes of any NASCAR race it will be because JPM is in it.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip View Post

But thats just me....
Dear Limited......Then why are you bothering to read and post to this thread?

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
Talking

Quote:
Dear Limited......Then why are you bothering to read and post to this thread?
+1
Old 02-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
+1
+2
Check this out, JPM was screaming around the track:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/photo...3&prov=reuters

Didn't know those cars could do 1,185 mph. teehee

Old 02-14-2007, 05:33 AM

So what is the latest news on our man?

Old 02-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
So what is the latest news on our man?
Near ascanfigure(I don't understand NASCAR qualifying, and am not about to try), he's starting at P4 (I don't even know if that's how they designate your position.) If that's right, it's pretty good for a rookie.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Near ascanfigure(I don't understand NASCAR qualifying, and am not about to try), he's starting at P4 (I don't even know if that's how they designate your position.) If that's right, it's pretty good for a rookie.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Qualifying only locked in the front row (for the race) and the starting order for the Duels. So it is pretty good, but he's got to get through the Duels tomorrow.

At least that's the way I understand it.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
spoiler:

Montoya led 18 laps until a hub/bearing failure put him out.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 AM
LOOCH CREW

Send a message via AIM to Alvizzo913 Send a message via MSN to Alvizzo913
Mein Auto: Sector 9
Was hoping to see him do a little better yesterday. He's what's making me more interested in NASCAR.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Montoya was not himself. None of the crashes were his.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
His cars haven't been very good. Someone said, in five years Ganassi hasn't won a race in NASCAR, what makes you think that Montoya can fix that? I think he's run pretty well when he's had the opportunity. Sounds like they had handling problems yesterday and he was just happy to finish.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 AM

The last 90 laps were very interesting. I missed the rest of it.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 AM

The last 90 laps were very interesting. I missed the rest of it.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
I think he won't do very well on the super speedways where aero and drafting partners play such a huge roll. I do think the smaller tracks and road coarses will be where he shines this year.

The "Car of Tommorrow" will definatley help him and his team. The cars should be very equal and very limited in the ways the teams currently shape and mold speed out the current NASCAR's.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Juan wins his first race. Big surprise, its a road course, in Mexico of all places, and he knocks his teammate out to do it.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................