Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette View Post
I do not have interest in NASCAR per say. I find it very boring. This particular race was different and roused my curiosity. It was a road race outside the US with some heavy hitters from the road racing arena (Montoya, Pruett, Said). The only thing NASCAR about it was the big lumbering cars that could barely corner (compared to sports and open wheel cars), and the other drivers.

With that said, it will most likely be the first and last complete NASCAR race I watch. Previously, I tried watching NASCAR oval races twice (Busch series televised at my home track -- GIR -- and the recent Daytona 500). I found both to be very boring, and stopped watching within a half hour.

But I take your point and will leave the remaining discussion to the rest of you.
They are not as lumbering as one might think. A very good suspension, on slicks, with 7-800 hp and weighing a lot less than your daily driver.

But they can not be compared to open wheeled cars at 1/3 to 1/4 of the weight with independent suspensions and aero advantages.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
They are not as lumbering as one might think. A very good suspension, on slicks, with 7-800 hp and weighing a lot less than your daily driver.

But they can not be compared to open wheeled cars at 1/3 to 1/4 of the weight with independent suspensions and aero advantages.
I did say compared to sports/open-wheel cars. I made the comparison because they run on the same track, and they have a different line because they can't corner as well.

They weight less than my daily driver? No, not really. NASCAR mandates they weight 3400-3600 pounds with driver and safety equipment. My car is under 3500 lbs. with me in it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Does anyone know what happened to JPM such that he dropped out of contention early in the LV race? (Admittedly I'm not particularly familiar with NASCAR news sources.)

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Does anyone know what happened to JPM such that he dropped out of contention early in the LV race? (Admittedly I'm not particularly familiar with NASCAR news sources.)
Something about a little fender damage...maybe grill area? Once you mess up the aero on theese cars on the faster ovals, you are pretty much done with competing for the win. I think he got a lap down and it pretty much snowballed from there.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Awesome power!

My man looks like he fits right in: http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/photo..._pm&prov=getty

..as comfortable in Darlington as in Monaco.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 03-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Bo's ready for the Big 10

Mein Auto: A Murano and Civic Hybrid
Quote:
My man looks like he fits right in: http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/photo..._pm&prov=getty

..as comfortable in Darlington as in Monaco.
His wife says she likes living in the big RV's instead of going hotel to hotel. I'm waiting for JPM to start talking like Ward Burton or Elliott Sadler.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsa View Post
His wife says she likes living in the big RV's instead of going hotel to hotel. I'm waiting for JPM to start talking like Ward Burton or Elliott Sadler.
Those big RVs often cost more than a typical southern CA house and are decked out better than any hotel room outside Dubai.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Awesome power!

Can you believe it...5th place in Atlanta. Looks like the man is acclimated.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Decent finish again today: 8th place, and currently 13th in the points. Rookie of the Year definitely, and probably make the Chase.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 04-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Decent finish again today: 8th place, and currently 13th in the points. Rookie of the Year definitely, and probably make the Chase.
Yup, movin' up.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 AM

My man Montoya

Stewart hits back at Montoya

By Diego Mejia Monday, April 16th 2007, 11:13 GMT

Tony Stewart has hit back at Juan Pablo Montoya after their incident during Sunday's Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.

Montoya blamed Stewart for their collision on lap 240 while they were battling for eighth place, saying the two-time Cup champion raced him aggressively and did not give him enough room.

However, Stewart believes the same of Montoya and blamed the Colombian for the incident.

"If you do stuff like that and try to race people before you get to the start/finish line - then when I raced him, I raced him. And he took us out. That's just what happened," Stewart said.

"I'm going to race people how they race me. You earn respect by doing things that are smart out there, and trying to pull out of line with 110 laps to go coming to the green flag doesn't make much sense. If you race people with respect you get respect."

Stewart also claimed that Montoya did not show any patience while racing him, stating that he must learn more about how to race in NASCAR. He also warned the former Formula One driver about not getting any help from him in the future.

"Maybe Ganassi doesn't pay him to run in the back, but you might want to be just a little bit more patient just long enough to learn everything and how everything's done over here," Stewart added.

"He didn't make friends with me today so he won't get any help from me in the future."

Stewart's race went from bad to worse after the incident with Montoya, having a flat tyre after contact with Joe Nemechek and a later spin on turn 4 while trying to get back on the lead lap.

"We fought a no-handling car all day and fought it good enough to keep it in the top-10. But the deal with Montoya, the flat tyre and... it all just added up to a bad day," Stewart said.

Despite his 25th place finish on Sunday, Tony Stewart is currently ninth in the Nextel Cup standings, 322 points behind leader Jeff Gordon.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Jayhawk

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
JPM did nothing that Steward does not do in nearly every race. JPM was clearly faster at the time and they battled for 3 or 4 laps before they touched. If Stewart lived by the advice he gives in the interview he would have let JPM by, make some adjustments to the car on the next pit stop and race JPM or whomever at the end of the race.

I watch inside Nextel Cup Monday and everyone on the show was impressed by how well JPM has done so far this season and that they do not want to see how much he improves when they return to the tracks that have mulitple races. Then there are the road races.....
Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=2&id=2848638

Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Big deal

Old 04-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Big deal
+1
Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:
+1
+1 more

Perhaps we need to fine Patrick for the same thing...Nah.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Hated by hater haters

Patrick is hereby assessed a drive through penalty.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 04-25-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Why didn't this surprise me at all?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
+1 more

Perhaps we need to fine Patrick for the same thing...Nah.
Sorry, boys. Go in a circle cars + Montoya just makes me LMAO.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Patrick's drive-through penalty is hereby rescinded.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:

...and fining any NASCAR driver for obscene jestures makes me LMAO. I had no idea it was such a cultured "sport."

By the way, was Alonso fined for giving someone the finger in Bahrain? Just curious.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
...and fining any NASCAR driver for obscene jestures makes me LMAO.
Hell, I thought NASCAR in and of itself was an obscene gesture.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Kimi also flipped someone off (during qualifying) in the last race - and it was caught on TV.

No fine as far as I have heard.

Oops. Sorry, rong thread fer talkin' bout them thar For-mule 1 racin', y'all.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Hell, I thought NASCAR in and of itself was an obscene gesture.
I wonder what the Chinese will think when they get to host a race within the next five years.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
I wonder what the Chinese will think when they get to host a race within the next five years.

They'll be disappointed it's not something worth pirating in any way.