Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
pilotman pilotman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,382
Mein Auto: e46, X3
2008 X3

Ok, the current generation X3 (e83) was introduced in 2003.

I was under the impression it will be redone in 2008, not sure where I got this idea. I seem to recall that the 2007 was simply a stopgap measure before releasing a new model.

But BMW has been sticking to a pretty consistent 6-7 year model cycle....so, according to this there probably won't be an all new X3 until 2009 or 2010
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
kjboyd's Avatar
kjboyd kjboyd is online now
Drink the koolaid or else
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,121
Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
it was a 2004 actually. so expect a new model sometime, as you said, in 2009 or 10
__________________
Kevin


-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
lilskel's Avatar
lilskel lilskel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,184
Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Definately wont be a new X3 out next year with this one receiving the new engine and update and the X5 coming out...earliest we would see a new X3 would be spring 2008 as a 2009 model..that would be great considering I will have my 2006 X3 until Summer 2008
__________________
BMWCCA Since 2007
ED 28.10.2010 335d
ED 09.07.2008 X3 PCD: 04.09.2008
ED 24.05.2006 X3
ED 27.07.2005 X3
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2006, 01:59 AM
Brent P Brent P is offline
California boy in Canada
Location: Yeeee haaaaw
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 638
Mein Auto: 2006 530i 6-speed/Sport
The new model is scheduled for 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2006, 08:25 AM
pilotman pilotman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,382
Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent P View Post
The new model is scheduled for 2011.

Where did you get this information?

The X3 first came out in very late 2003 as a 2004 model....

are you assuming a standard 7 year cycle run or do you have concrete information?

The e83 will be very long in the tooth by then.

Even the budget 2007 Honda CRV is quickly catching up in features. Have you seen that thing? ABS with EBD, illuminated steering wheel audio controls, speed sensitive radio volume, same airbags as BMW, standard MP3 input (which my 2006 doesn't have), tire pressure monitor, roll over sensor, the list goes on...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2006, 10:14 AM
dcashion dcashion is offline
Registered User
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: X3 3.0 Diesel Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Where did you get this information?

The X3 first came out in very late 2003 as a 2004 model....

are you assuming a standard 7 year cycle run or do you have concrete information?

The e83 will be very long in the tooth by then.

Even the budget 2007 Honda CRV is quickly catching up in features. Have you seen that thing? ABS with EBD, illuminated steering wheel audio controls, speed sensitive radio volume, same airbags as BMW, standard MP3 input (which my 2006 doesn't have), tire pressure monitor, roll over sensor, the list goes on...
Yeah...............and its still a Honda. I cant see the comparison? Its OK for them to say they have all these wonderful features....I can assure you they dont work as well!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,302
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
BM have 7 year model cycle.... so 2010 or 2011 at least unless the current model is a real F**K up then they bring out new one to replace it
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2006, 08:34 PM
spindoc1 spindoc1 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2014 X5
I would never buy/lease a piece of junk like the X3 again. If the X3 defined BMW standards they would have never made it as a car company. I just had my 4 month old X3towed 160 miles because the battery just died out of the blue. And by the posts on this forum this is not unheard of in this car. I would advise caution in anyone planning on purchasing this car.
__________________
2006 X3: Silver Gray, gray leather with sycamore dark trim, performance tires with 18" wheels, steptronic, premium, sports, cold weather packages, NAV, Servotronic, Xenon, PDC, DSP, rear window privacy glass, rear airbags, auxillary input.
2011 535 GT: Imperial Blue, Sport, Premium
2014 X5 x35i: Mineral White, Mocha Nappa leather, xLine, 20" wheels, LED Lighting, DAP Plus, Premium, 4-zone climate, 3rd row seat, Harman Kardon surround, Rear seat entertainment
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2006, 09:10 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,302
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Look like they may have new X3 and new 1 series planned sooner as they both suffer from quality issues
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Brent P Brent P is offline
California boy in Canada
Location: Yeeee haaaaw
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 638
Mein Auto: 2006 530i 6-speed/Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Where did you get this information?

The X3 first came out in very late 2003 as a 2004 model....

are you assuming a standard 7 year cycle run or do you have concrete information?

The e83 will be very long in the tooth by then.

Even the budget 2007 Honda CRV is quickly catching up in features. Have you seen that thing? ABS with EBD, illuminated steering wheel audio controls, speed sensitive radio volume, same airbags as BMW, standard MP3 input (which my 2006 doesn't have), tire pressure monitor, roll over sensor, the list goes on...
I saw it on a handout at the dealer that showed the time scale of currently and past models. The scale for the current X3 went out to 2011, following BMW's standard seven year cycle. No doubt there will be constant improvements and minor facelifts along the way, but don't count on a redesigned X3, like the '07 X5, until the 2011 model year.

As far as quality issues mentioned above, I disagree. Every vehicle from any manufacturer has bugs and certain indiosyncrasies, and the X3 is no worse than anything else. Ours has functioned brilliantly without a single problem for 14 months. The fact the Magna Steyr plant in Austria, where it is assembled, has the highest quality rating of any manufacturing plant in Europe says a lot.

Last edited by Brent P; 10-23-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 AM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,650
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Where did you get this information?

The X3 first came out in very late 2003 as a 2004 model....

are you assuming a standard 7 year cycle run or do you have concrete information?

The e83 will be very long in the tooth by then.

Even the budget 2007 Honda CRV is quickly catching up in features. Have you seen that thing? ABS with EBD, illuminated steering wheel audio controls, speed sensitive radio volume, same airbags as BMW, standard MP3 input (which my 2006 doesn't have), tire pressure monitor, roll over sensor, the list goes on...
Do you really need a sensor that tells you your car is upside down?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-23-2006, 10:27 AM
TexRob TexRob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Clayton, NC
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc1 View Post
I would never buy/lease a piece of junk like the X3 again. If the X3 defined BMW standards they would have never made it as a car company. I just had my 4 month old X3towed 160 miles because the battery just died out of the blue. And by the posts on this forum this is not unheard of in this car. I would advise caution in anyone planning on purchasing this car.
Man, must you post on every thread complaining about it? It sucks man, but you are talking about a battery (not made by BMW), they go bad early sometimes. Is BMW not replacing it? Sorry to be rude, but it just seems like you almost didn't want this car. You seem to have gone into it expecting bad things almost.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,650
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nance View Post
Man, must you post on every thread complaining about it? It sucks man, but you are talking about a battery (not made by BMW), they go bad early sometimes. Is BMW not replacing it? Sorry to be rude, but it just seems like you almost didn't want this car. You seem to have gone into it expecting bad things almost.

BMW owners are a fickled bunch, even more so on this board. Although there are complaints from time to time, I find value in every model. We demand so much from BMW yet we rarely stop to ponder what we are asking for. i.e. The challenges of building numerous variations of a car to satisify customers all over the world. If you want reliable transportation look to the Japanese where the model choice and option packages is quite limited for this very reason.

I however, will gladly take a dead battery.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-23-2006, 11:58 AM
pilotman pilotman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,382
Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Do you really need a sensor that tells you your car is upside down?
I don't, but I am sure many SUV drivers would like the yaw control sensor to warn them of an impending rollover so they can take corrective action.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 PM
pilotman pilotman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,382
Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashion View Post
Yeah...............and its still a Honda. I cant see the comparison? Its OK for them to say they have all these wonderful features....I can assure you they dont work as well!
I can assure you they work *better* than the BMW features.

Honda is much more reliable than BMW, please don't start this debate again. This is not my opinion, it is fact based upon 10 plus years of empirical repair data.

That has been BMW's problem, leading edge in features but they rarely work right. (i.e. panorama roof that leaks, window regulators that fail once a year, batteries that die within a year, etc. etc.)...and please don't make lame excuses like BMW doesn't make the batteries. Honda batteries don't die like that, nor do most car batteries and manufacturers shouldn't be making excuses. For example, lets hope your battery in your X3 isn't dead when you have to take a family member to the emergency room for a life threatening injury. Not acceptable for a tiny, overpriced $40k cute ute to not start after a year or two.

Honda (and other manufacturers are catching up *feature* wise, I didn't say handling wise. That is a different story.)

You have to understand that when you can buy a 2007 CRV that has most of the so called luxury features an X3 has for $15k less, you have to ask yourself if the improved handling and electrical gremlins are worth an extra $15k.

I am presently cross shoppping these two vehicles, of course, I am not a brand whore. Functionally, they are nearly identical, except the Honda is roomier, cheaper and more reliable.

Last edited by pilotman; 10-23-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-23-2006, 07:02 PM
spindoc1 spindoc1 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2014 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nance View Post
Man, must you post on every thread complaining about it? It sucks man, but you are talking about a battery (not made by BMW), they go bad early sometimes. Is BMW not replacing it? Sorry to be rude, but it just seems like you almost didn't want this car. You seem to have gone into it expecting bad things almost.
No I wasn't expecting that 4 months after I purchase a NEW car the battery will go dead. I don't give a f..k if the battery was made by BMW or not, it's what came with the car, kind of like the engine, seats, steering wheel, tires.etc..etc..etc..do you get the general idea.

And yes I will complain about it because for you to try to justify that this is normal on a NEW car is as idiotic as the tires blowing out on the Ford explorers a few years ago - those were recalled as should these batteries if this is a common problem with this car or BMWs in general. Maybe if they advertise their cars as the "Ultimate driving machine" it would be nice that the car would start when you would want to drive it. A faulty battery or electronics is the basics for a car and not an option these days. I bought the car expecting quality and reliability - so far BMW as provided little of the former and none of the latter. So you may want to overlook any and every flaw in the BMW so that you can boost how good it is but the bottom line is that the X3 is a lemon. Take it for what it is and thats what you seem to be suggesting anyhow.
__________________
2006 X3: Silver Gray, gray leather with sycamore dark trim, performance tires with 18" wheels, steptronic, premium, sports, cold weather packages, NAV, Servotronic, Xenon, PDC, DSP, rear window privacy glass, rear airbags, auxillary input.
2011 535 GT: Imperial Blue, Sport, Premium
2014 X5 x35i: Mineral White, Mocha Nappa leather, xLine, 20" wheels, LED Lighting, DAP Plus, Premium, 4-zone climate, 3rd row seat, Harman Kardon surround, Rear seat entertainment
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
JG's Avatar
JG JG is offline
TTSam
Location: GTA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Your X3 may be a lemon (too bad)............mine and 99% of the rest have had no problems at all.

Most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

No problems on the X3 compared to 'some' minor problems on some of my previous BMWs.

Therefor your brilliant conclusion that because - my X3 is a lemon = all X3's are lemons - is a crock of you know what.

Deal with the lemon issues with BMW and spare the rest of us.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc1 View Post
No I wasn't expecting that 4 months after I purchase a NEW car the battery will go dead. I don't give a f..k if the battery was made by BMW or not, it's what came with the car, kind of like the engine, seats, steering wheel, tires.etc..etc..etc..do you get the general idea.

And yes I will complain about it because for you to try to justify that this is normal on a NEW car is as idiotic as the tires blowing out on the Ford explorers a few years ago - those were recalled as should these batteries if this is a common problem with this car or BMWs in general. Maybe if they advertise their cars as the "Ultimate driving machine" it would be nice that the car would start when you would want to drive it. A faulty battery or electronics is the basics for a car and not an option these days. I bought the car expecting quality and reliability - so far BMW as provided little of the former and none of the latter. So you may want to overlook any and every flaw in the BMW so that you can boost how good it is but the bottom line is that the X3 is a lemon. Take it for what it is and thats what you seem to be suggesting anyhow.
__________________
When in doubt - pass out!
E92 M3 AW
535i xDrive M Sports Carbon Black
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 PM
TexRob TexRob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Clayton, NC
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc1 View Post
No I wasn't expecting that 4 months after I purchase a NEW car the battery will go dead. I don't give a f..k if the battery was made by BMW or not, it's what came with the car, kind of like the engine, seats, steering wheel, tires.etc..etc..etc..do you get the general idea.

And yes I will complain about it because for you to try to justify that this is normal on a NEW car is as idiotic as the tires blowing out on the Ford explorers a few years ago - those were recalled as should these batteries if this is a common problem with this car or BMWs in general. Maybe if they advertise their cars as the "Ultimate driving machine" it would be nice that the car would start when you would want to drive it. A faulty battery or electronics is the basics for a car and not an option these days. I bought the car expecting quality and reliability - so far BMW as provided little of the former and none of the latter. So you may want to overlook any and every flaw in the BMW so that you can boost how good it is but the bottom line is that the X3 is a lemon. Take it for what it is and thats what you seem to be suggesting anyhow.
Nobody expects anything to happen, and I never said it was normal for a battery to die after 4 months. What I did say is that it CAN happen. Comparing a battery dying to tires blowing out? Do I even need to say anything? What other problems have you had that weren't a result of your battery failing? You never did answer if BMW was trying to right this. I honestly want to know, because I agree it's BS if they aren't and I reccomend reporting it to BMWNA.

JG said the rest best, that an isolated incident does not make the X3 a lemon.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 PM
spindoc1 spindoc1 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2014 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nance View Post
Nobody expects anything to happen, and I never said it was normal for a battery to die after 4 months. What I did say is that it CAN happen. Comparing a battery dying to tires blowing out? Do I even need to say anything? What other problems have you had that weren't a result of your battery failing? You never did answer if BMW was trying to right this. I honestly want to know, because I agree it's BS if they aren't and I reccomend reporting it to BMWNA.

JG said the rest best, that an isolated incident does not make the X3 a lemon.
If you do a search here and various other forums and like you, yourself stated, this is not an isolated incident. There are numerous posts reporting this problem. In fact the BMW dealership - which was very nice and understanding stated that this was a common problem with the X3's and the 3-series. First they did not get any error codes when they ran the diagnostics and told me the battery was fine and that it would not be covered under warranty and that I can purchase a new battery if I liked. However, I did tell them that i'll take the car back as is, since they found it to be fine, but reminded them that I had the car towed 160 miles to get to the closest delearship. I think they figured it wouldn't be cost effective to tow back again and still not know what the problem is so at least if this happens again we know its likely not the battery.

And JG your conslusion is a crock of your own flawed reasoning - just because yours is 99% without problems means so are the rest!!! Whatever. Take a look through the posts here and maybe you'll actualy learn something about this awesome car.
__________________
2006 X3: Silver Gray, gray leather with sycamore dark trim, performance tires with 18" wheels, steptronic, premium, sports, cold weather packages, NAV, Servotronic, Xenon, PDC, DSP, rear window privacy glass, rear airbags, auxillary input.
2011 535 GT: Imperial Blue, Sport, Premium
2014 X5 x35i: Mineral White, Mocha Nappa leather, xLine, 20" wheels, LED Lighting, DAP Plus, Premium, 4-zone climate, 3rd row seat, Harman Kardon surround, Rear seat entertainment
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM
peoe2's Avatar
peoe2 peoe2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: X3
spindoc1 - Sorry to hear about the problems you're having as described by most of your posts. I hope you get them fixed quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc1 View Post
And JG your conslusion is a crock of your own flawed reasoning - just because yours is 99% without problems means so are the rest!!! Whatever. Take a look through the posts here and maybe you'll actualy learn something about this awesome car.
This has nothing to do with the '2008 X3' subject of this thread. As for discussing issues, being constructive would help, destructive comments won't get anybody anywhere. I think it's about time to move on.
__________________


Last edited by peoe2; 10-23-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-24-2006, 12:23 PM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,739
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nance View Post
Man, must you post on every thread complaining about it? It sucks man, but you are talking about a battery (not made by BMW), they go bad early sometimes. Is BMW not replacing it? Sorry to be rude, but it just seems like you almost didn't want this car. You seem to have gone into it expecting bad things almost.
Your not being RUDE your just telling it like it is. Good for you.
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
JG's Avatar
JG JG is offline
TTSam
Location: GTA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
I indicated that 99% of the vehicles are fine.

You state "the bottom line is that the X3 is a lemon"?

Because you and a small percentage of others have a battery problem; does not make the entire car is a lemon?

Not even close.

The car rates higher than average on J.D. Powers. The Magna Steyr, Graz, Austria, plant that assembles the X3 under contract for BMW, received the Gold Plant Quality Award for Europe.

Does that mean there might not be a few problems vehicles (no). But it does mean that the vehicle and plant are a far cry from being compared to a Ford Explorer. The highest ranked vehicles in the world all have some problems in specific vehicles. That doesn't paint all the vehicles with the same brush.

Regarding your witty comment about me doing a search so I can actualy learn something about the vehicle - pretty much says all it needs to about your maturity level, and willingness to discuss an issue without resorting to simplistic behaviour.

Deal with your battery issue, instead of tryingto label an entire vehicle a lemon, because of one small part that very few people have encountered a problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc1 View Post
If you do a search here and various other forums and like you, yourself stated, this is not an isolated incident. There are numerous posts reporting this problem. In fact the BMW dealership - which was very nice and understanding stated that this was a common problem with the X3's and the 3-series. First they did not get any error codes when they ran the diagnostics and told me the battery was fine and that it would not be covered under warranty and that I can purchase a new battery if I liked. However, I did tell them that i'll take the car back as is, since they found it to be fine, but reminded them that I had the car towed 160 miles to get to the closest delearship. I think they figured it wouldn't be cost effective to tow back again and still not know what the problem is so at least if this happens again we know its likely not the battery.

And JG your conslusion is a crock of your own flawed reasoning - just because yours is 99% without problems means so are the rest!!! Whatever. Take a look through the posts here and maybe you'll actualy learn something about this awesome car.
__________________
When in doubt - pass out!
E92 M3 AW
535i xDrive M Sports Carbon Black
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-24-2006, 04:01 PM
05Boxster's Avatar
05Boxster 05Boxster is offline
Ultimate Driving Machines
Location: Home of the World Champion Boston Red Sox
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 249
Mein Auto: 05 Boxster, 06 X3 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
I can assure you they work *better* than the BMW features.

Honda is much more reliable than BMW, please don't start this debate again. This is not my opinion, it is fact based upon 10 plus years of empirical repair data.

That has been BMW's problem, leading edge in features but they rarely work right. (i.e. panorama roof that leaks, window regulators that fail once a year, batteries that die within a year, etc. etc.)...and please don't make lame excuses like BMW doesn't make the batteries. Honda batteries don't die like that, nor do most car batteries and manufacturers shouldn't be making excuses. For example, lets hope your battery in your X3 isn't dead when you have to take a family member to the emergency room for a life threatening injury. Not acceptable for a tiny, overpriced $40k cute ute to not start after a year or two.

Honda (and other manufacturers are catching up *feature* wise, I didn't say handling wise. That is a different story.)

You have to understand that when you can buy a 2007 CRV that has most of the so called luxury features an X3 has for $15k less, you have to ask yourself if the improved handling and electrical gremlins are worth an extra $15k.

I am presently cross shoppping these two vehicles, of course, I am not a brand whore. Functionally, they are nearly identical, except the Honda is roomier, cheaper and more reliable.
Wow, you should apply to work at Consumer Reports, don a white lab coat, and tell us how bad German automobiles are because they're too "loud" or the suspension is too "firm" and that the vanilla Japanese cars are the be all end all of every car because they have a full red circle under "harshness" or some such bull$hit.

Look, comparing a Honda to a BMW is just no comparison. Totally different classes of cars. Of course the Honda is $15K less....its a Honda! Any *true* car enthusiast would be bored of the CR-V after an hour behind the wheel.....
__________________
2006 X3 Sport
2005 Porsche Boxster
2005 Acura MDX (Wifey Mobile)

The Boxster is a high-energy shot of adrenaline that never fails to satisfy.....if you can't enjoy this car, the problem is you, not it" -Tom Jensen, SPEEDtv.net
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 AM
pilotman pilotman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,382
Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Boxster View Post
Wow, you should apply to work at Consumer Reports, don a white lab coat, and tell us how bad German automobiles are because they're too "loud" or the suspension is too "firm" and that the vanilla Japanese cars are the be all end all of every car because they have a full red circle under "harshness" or some such bull$hit.

Look, comparing a Honda to a BMW is just no comparison. Totally different classes of cars. Of course the Honda is $15K less....its a Honda! Any *true* car enthusiast would be bored of the CR-V after an hour behind the wheel.....
That's not true, you can compare the new RAV4 or CRV to the X3 Cute Ute.

First, you guys say the BMW is a sport/luxury vehicle that has many features Honda/Toyota don't.

That's just wrong, in fact, the CRV/RAv4 have virtually every feature that the X3 has, including ambient dimming interior lighting, lighted steering wheel controls, MP3 input, TPMS, ABS, same or better airbags, heated seats etc. etc.

In fact, the V6 RAV4 has more horsepower than the even the 2007 X3 and gets better gas mileage.....

Functionally the V6 RAV4 and CRV can be compared to the X3, except they are cheaper and more reliable. All 3 vehicles are 4WD "cute utes", they all have similar cargo/passenger space (although the CRV and RAV4 clearly excel in this category)....

So when you buy a BMW for $15k more than one of the jap competitors, you are essentially paying a premium for better handling, along with lower reliability, higher repair costs, less gas mileage...because you CAN get virtually every feature in the jap competitors that you can get in the X3.

I guess I am not a *true* car enthusiast, even though I have a Honda, BMW and Porsche in my garage....

Last edited by pilotman; 10-25-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
spindoc1 spindoc1 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2014 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
That's not true, you can compare the new RAV4 or CRV to the X3 Cute Ute.

First, you guys say the BMW is a sport/luxury vehicle that has many features Honda/Toyota don't.

That's just wrong, in fact, the CRV/RAv4 have virtually every feature that the X3 has, including ambient dimming interior lighting, lighted steering wheel controls, MP3 input, TPMS, ABS, same or better airbags, heated seats etc. etc.

In fact, the V6 RAV4 has more horsepower than the even the 2007 X3 and gets better gas mileage.....

Functionally the V6 RAV4 and CRV can be compared to the X3, except they are cheaper and more reliable. All 3 vehicles are 4WD "cute utes", they all have similar cargo/passenger space (although the CRV and RAV4 clearly excel in this category)....

So when you buy a BMW for $15k more than one of the jap competitors, you are essentially paying a premium for better handling, along with lower reliability, higher repair costs, less gas mileage...because you CAN get virtually every feature in the jap competitors that you can get in the X3.

I guess I am not a *true* car enthusiast, even though I have a Honda, BMW and Porsche in my garage....
Thank you for saying it like it is. It needed to be heard. Around here criticism of the X3 does not seem to be well tolerated.
__________________
2006 X3: Silver Gray, gray leather with sycamore dark trim, performance tires with 18" wheels, steptronic, premium, sports, cold weather packages, NAV, Servotronic, Xenon, PDC, DSP, rear window privacy glass, rear airbags, auxillary input.
2011 535 GT: Imperial Blue, Sport, Premium
2014 X5 x35i: Mineral White, Mocha Nappa leather, xLine, 20" wheels, LED Lighting, DAP Plus, Premium, 4-zone climate, 3rd row seat, Harman Kardon surround, Rear seat entertainment
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new X3 Experience. bredi X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) 7 11-06-2006 05:47 PM
Sold the Passat, bought an X3 PhilH General BMW 6 10-02-2006 01:38 PM
2008 X3 JoeIrish X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) 2 08-28-2006 12:04 PM
Announcing the 2007 BMW X3 3.0si Sports Activity Vehicle tim330i BMW News Articles and Announcements 0 06-28-2006 10:59 AM
X3 Review in the German/Austrian Alps tonymey X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) 15 05-09-2005 10:57 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms