Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Unhappy 2000 Z3 2.8 Stalling issues

Alrighty beamer gurus heres the deal,

I have a 2000 z3 that had some misfire issues at low rpms, but never shot a code.

this went on for about, 2 weeks until one day it started showing the coolant light on start up; so like anyone would i immediately checked my coolant level only to find out that it was at perfect level, so i really showed no concern. that same day it started jerking and losing power on the freeway then suddenly i hit the gas pedal and it didnt accelerate, and seconds later stalled. it would start up right away and then stall again seconds later with no acceleration. I got it towed home thanks to the AAA gods, and the next morning went to start it up again and it ran perfectly, right up until it WARMED UP. so i let it cool back down to test the theory and sure enough it runs fine on cold start, and then stalls once warm.

im interested in some advice as to what i can start replacing to relieve this issue.

Facts:
144k on motor and tranny, 5 speed

check engine is now on

dont have a way to run the codes as i cant drive it to autozone

anyone help??
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
For starters, the motorcycle BMWs are Beamers, the cars are Bimmers. I don't know why.
I don't quite understand the misfire issues with no codes. All misfires set codes.
With the information you have provided, the only logical place to start is replacing the coolant temperature sensor on the block. That is what tells the computer to change the settings as the engine warms up.
We're not talking about the coolant temperature switch on the side of the radiator here. You need to replace the one on the block. I'm not positive, but I think yours is under the intake manifold in the back of the engine and is a bear to get to. You can probably find it by using the diagrams on RealOEM.com.
If you have the 4-cylinder, it's really easy to replace: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...nd_Testing.htm

Last edited by Blacklane; 03-18-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM

Hey thanks for the reply, I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a reader today, until then I'll start pulling plugs and work from the top, I'm have a little struggle finding a diagram from the 6 cyl coolant temp it's only showing the one in the tank
Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: BMW Z3, 328i, VW Jetta
Based solely on symptoms, The stalling and no power when accelerating sounds like it *could* be an intake cam sensor. First place to start is to get those codes read.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 AM

So I just replaced the coolant temp sensor and sure enough it does the same thing, I hear the cam position sensor can cause similar issues, however doesn't explain why the coolant light would pop on on start up, or run fine until warmed up. Is something in the intake coolant regulated? If so what would cause it to run fine until it hits the warm up temp?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 AM

Getting the codes read in my area is a bit tricky as they don't rent them out up here as we have a...... Emissions control problem with people who clear codes. I'm seeing about getting a buddy to bring one over. Based on that am I kind of sol until it gets read? Or could this be a sure fix somehow
Old 03-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Codes are P1250
P0101
P0306
P1250p

One of which being the fuel pressure regulator, which makes complete sense. How ever the p code Is for security system failure?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: BMW Z3, 328i, VW Jetta
P0101 - Could be caused by a Idle Air control valve and/or MAF sensor
P0306 - cylinder 6 misfire detected, check spark plug and coil.
P1250 - This one is vague it could be any number of things. Best to get read by a real code reader and not a generic.

I recommend tackling the 1st two options before moving on to 3.