Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 97' Bmw Z3 2.8l 5MT
endless problems. Radiator and Cam sensor 97' 2.8

Just finished fixing this car and more breaks. Im back with a leaking radiator, it appears to be leaking from the drivers side bottom. Also popped P0340 cam sensor code. Never had to throw so much money at a car before.

Where is the best place to get a radiator? Any aftermarket upgrades for this thing?
Cam sensor is pretty self explanatory. Has no power and surges after about 2500 RPMS. Easy install but throw away another $100
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM

just found this for $133 Part Number: 1190-05139714
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199.../radiator.html

Any experiences with these?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Go over to rockauto.com. go for the nissens radiator $144.79. While you're at it, replace the coolant reservoir. It's probably going to be the next to go due to age. Hella part #17111723520 $27.79

Which cam sensor flaked? intake or exhaust?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM

assuming its the intake sensor. bank a or single sensor P0340.

Just jacked the car up and it wouldnt leak. Took off cap and blew the water down, so its not being pressurized im not even 100% at this point it is for sure the radiator, i dont see any obvious cracks. Headed to get some more coolant and see if i can get it to leak again.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:29 AM

Also, im confused. I've heard the single vanos 2.8 only has one cam sensor?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbetty View Post
assuming its the intake sensor. bank a or single sensor P0340.

Just jacked the car up and it wouldnt leak. Took off cap and blew the water down, so its not being pressurized im not even 100% at this point it is for sure the radiator, i dont see any obvious cracks. Headed to get some more coolant and see if i can get it to leak again.
Well if it is the camshaft intake sensor, you will notice the car feel very sluggish.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Yeah, its definitely sluggish. it kind of picks up around 2500 rpms but still slow. Its easy to replace the intake sensor and im 80% sure thats what it is so im going to go ahead and do that. First need to track down this coolant leak before i worry about that...
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, its definitely sluggish. it kind of picks up around 2500 rpms but still slow. Its easy to replace the intake sensor and im 80% sure thats what it is so im going to go ahead and do that. First need to track down this coolant leak before i worry about that...
OK in that case it's def. the intake. Good luck tracking down the coolant leak.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:06 PM

Thanks for your replies, ill follow up with what i find.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
yeah, 97 was single vanos so only 1 cam sensor.

cooling systems are the weak link in the m50/52 line, so it may be a good idea to replace not only the reservoir with the radiator, but the hoses, stat, waterpump (plastic impellers are used on both oe and many aftermarket units).

unfortunately any vehicle that is neglected tends to break down, and with the chassis closing in upon the 2 decade mark, things like the plastic bits will become brittle.

you may also wish to upgrade to a mishimoto radiator, which is all aluminum and has a lifetime warranty. a little more pricey, though.

df
Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM

I managed to trace the leak to two different things. It appears to be leaking at the seam of the expansion tank and radiator, and found some damaged fins.

I took the radiator out of the car and managed to get the expansion tank off without breaking it to a unusable state. I was surprised to see the tank was fine and no cracks were started. I traced it to a small oring that lost its bouncy.

However, the radiator was damaged and had a couple small holes in it. I took it to a nearby radiator shop to see if he thought it was fixable. He seemed confident that he could, so i left it with him. I should have it back monday, will report back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rad leak.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	496086   Click image for larger version

Name:	rad leak 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	496087  
Old 03-11-2015, 01:42 PM

Okay, So i wrote my last message out of frustration and edited it. The radiator fix was pointless, it still leaks from the expansion chamber. This whole setup looks like a 1.9 Z3 to begin with. Someone has put the wrong rad in it before me. I just bought a new radiator, coolant tank, hose, and cap in hopes of remedying the cooling issue. I replaced the cam sensor today at the same time of testing the fixes. I cleared the codes and went for a quick drive to get the car to temperature. I came back, turned the car off and the P0340 code came back? What else would cause this to happen? I've read after market sensors can be the cause, but the way this thing is going, im sure i need to replace something else.

I've had the car for maybe a month now, I have spent $761 in parts, have driven the car maybe 200 miles. Smiles per mile are definitely not the figures i was anticipating

Last edited by fastbetty; 03-11-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 PM

How many miles are on this car? Cooling system is something that should def. be replaced at this stage in the game due to it's age.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:54 PM

154k It looks like the thermostat housing has recently been replaced, I should probably pull the water pump at this point and inspect it and see if its metal or plastic. I'm in no rush to replace every single component of the cooling system right now.. I'm about to rid my self of this car i think. It has not been a pleasant experience. I've owned 4 miatas and wanted to try something different. Probably will sell this and get back into a mazda.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
154k It looks like the thermostat housing has recently been replaced, I should probably pull the water pump at this point and inspect it and see if its metal or plastic. I'm in no rush to replace every single component of the cooling system right now.. I'm about to rid my self of this car i think. It has not been a pleasant experience. I've owned 4 miatas and wanted to try something different. Probably will sell this and get back into a mazda.
I just don't know what to tell you at this point. You bought an 18 year old car with 150,000 + miles on it. There were bound to be things that you have to replace. cooling system is a weak point if it's not maintainted properly. I've owned a 2000 Z3 2.3 since 2008. Bought it with 63,000 miles on it for 12,5 and it's been very well looked after and maintained. I've replaced the water pump, coolant reservoir and radiator at appox 80K miles as well as related rubber hoses. I've now 156,000 miles on it and it looks and drives as good as the day I bought it. There were little issues here and there along the way, but nothing that I would classify as major. ABS brake sensor on the master cylinder needed replacing as well as the intake camshaft sensor. In fact we've been so pleased with it we bought a second one in 2013 with 19,800 miles on it for 10,500. I guess you bought a neglected example. If you need more help, I'd look into contacting the Texas chapter of the ZSCCA as they are very willing and able to help people that are enthusiastic about their Z car., member or not. You can reach them via email here tx@zscca.org

Best of luck!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 PM

Just a quick update. I installed brand new radiator, expansion tank, and a couple hoses. No more leaks! Also I went hunting for the cam sensor issues. After checking the harness connector and seeing it was fine I decided I would try to get another cam sensor since it had a lifetime warranty. It turns out someone from Oriellys cant differentiate a 4cyl and 6 cyl part. They gave me a 4 cylinder cam sensor (it is a little shorter than the 6) It was pulling and advancing timing but still throwing CEL. would've never known if I didn't keep the receipt. So new cam sensor will be here Tuesday and I should be good to go. The car is running pretty decent finally and I think its pretty close to being sorted out. Now time to condition some weather seals, it doesn't rain much in Texas but getting wet when it does LOL Always double check your parts is the lesson learned.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
very glad to hear this!! perhaps there is still hope for multitudes of smiles per miles for you yet!!

df
Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM

No more CEL lights! Drove to Oriellys and took out the 4 cylinder cam sensor, put it in a box and swapped it for the right one finally! Drove it for a few miles and out went the light. First time since owning the car for two months that the dash wasn't lit up. It is an aftermarket sensor, import direct and no issues.