Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 z3 3.0
Questioning the Removal of Factory Stickers

Hello All,
I have been trying ti find opinions on this, but have failed to see any discussions anywhere. [Maybe its not worth talking about?] In the last 20 days I have bought my first 2 bmw's [1998 z3, 2001 z3]. they both have the stickers on the visors, in the door jambs, even the clear one on the windshield about mods. My question is this.....did you leave all your in place, or did you take them all off? I can't decide.......after all, I plan on keeping the car, so I dont need to look at baby warnings and stuff. So should I take it off, or preserve them??? What did YOU do??
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
I took them off of my visors, windshield and instrument cluster. Don't think I have one on the door jambs.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5D; 2016 428i
I prefer keeping the factory stickers.

We purchased 2 BMWs last year and both times, prior to signing, I asked them to remove ALL stickers/license tags bearing the dealer's name/logo. They complied both times.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom in fla View Post
... the stickers on the visors, in the door jambs, even the clear one on the windshield about mods. My question is this.....did you leave all your in place, or did you take them all off?...
I leave all factory stickers and emblems in place, where ever.

My 10/96 Z3 has a clear sticker on the windshield, a long paragraph warning about installation of non-BMW accessories. I doubt if it's replaceable.

My 1969 BMW R69US had a fender sticker about compliance with DOT. That sticker was NLA and priceless evidence of originality.

As these cars age, factory stickers may be an enhancement.

If you must, successful removal may depend on the surface. A few years ago I removed an airbag sticker from the visor of my wife's Buick. It left such a mess that I ordered a new sticker to replace it.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
I don't worry about the ones that don't show such as under the hood or in the door jam. I did remove the airbag warnings from the visors using CRC Chemtool plus a coat of vinyl paint. I just thought those looked dumb with the top down.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:49 AM
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
I leave everything as original as possible including the stickers. I believe it might help in resale value if I ever plan on selling the car.

Side note: I did replace the radio head unit, but kept the original business radio for future restorations back to originality.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Unless you have a pristine show car and are selling it to someone else who plans to show it, I really doubt that there will be any difference in price because of the stickers. Besides I'm never selling mine.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
I have a 2001 and I left all the stickers that were on it when I bought it 2 years ago alone. I don't want to clean up the mess the old adhesive would leave.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 750Li
The only stickers I removed where the airbag warning on the sun visors.

I put some denatured alcohol on them and pealed slowly. Repeated the process on small areas. Took about an hour per side

Jeff
Old 10-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
Unless you have a pristine show car and are selling it to someone else who plans to show it, I really doubt that there will be any difference in price because of the stickers. Besides I'm never selling mine.
Roger that!

I pulled the stickers off as soon as I got the cars home from the dealer ('99 CPO w/5400 miles and '01 PCD w/6.0 miles) and stuck them on the back cover of the owners manuals.

So if someone asks "do you still have the stickers?" I will honestly answer in the affirmative. However, #1, I do not ever expect to hear that question, and #2, I'm keeping the cars until I die__or longer, once I figure out how to do it__so it matters not to me!

I am in agreement with the comments that they will never be a factor on price, though it may help close the deal with that Type AAA+ persona buyer. Furthermore, I also agree that if you were looking for an investment "still in the wrapper" car__mileage so low to be considered next to never driven at all__then yes, all stickers, manuals, and documentation should still be in place.

A car that was desirable new will always have the potential for being collectible later, and as such, the Z3/M qualifies (the 01/02 S-54 M Coupe being at the top of that particular food chain, though we can all disagree on what comes next ).

BTW, for those of you that did or will struggle to remove the labels from the visors, when the car was only weeks old, they could be peeled off with no solvent or effort whatsoever

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search