Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-18-2006, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330 Convertible
Hardtop Installation Kit Instructions

Got the Hardtop, got the hardtop preparation kit, anybody know where I can find the directions for installing the kit? 2001 330i. Thanks, Joe
Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I had a little advice and pretty much had to figure it out after that - it is relatively simple. You need to put the top down not quite all the way so the cover is still open (prop it with a stick) slide out the 2 little plastic inserts where the hard top pins go and you will see 2 metal pieces with holes in them about 1.5 inches apart, this is where the mount pieces go. The mount pieces are marked R (drivers side) L passenger side and the wire contacts point up, the mount sits under the holes in the frame and the bolts go through - that is the easy part. The wires connect to a plug that is fairly far up and unreachable from the top compartment. Next you need to remove the back seat - the bottom piece just pops up and comes out, the backs you remove 2 bolts you will reveal after removing the bottom of the seat and the back will come out. Next you need to remove the interior side panels. There are 2 screws under the bottom of the arm rest on each side and then the bottom half of the panel including the arm rest pulls off - the rest are tension fasterners that will pop out. Once that is out, you can push the top piece of the trim panel up a bit and see where the wire plug goes on, there are already 2 plugs on the block and this will be the third one - one on each side. Now just put it all back together!

realoem.com has parts explosions that help if you are looking for the fasteners. Wish I took some pics when I did it!

Rob
Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 03 m3, waiting on m235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I had a little advice and pretty much had to figure it out after that - it is relatively simple. You need to put the top down not quite all the way so the cover is still open (prop it with a stick) slide out the 2 little plastic inserts where the hard top pins go and you will see 2 metal pieces with holes in them about 1.5 inches apart, this is where the mount pieces go. The mount pieces are marked R (drivers side) L passenger side and the wire contacts point up, the mount sits under the holes in the frame and the bolts go through - that is the easy part. The wires connect to a plug that is fairly far up and unreachable from the top compartment. Next you need to remove the back seat - the bottom piece just pops up and comes out, the backs you remove 2 bolts you will reveal after removing the bottom of the seat and the back will come out. Next you need to remove the interior side panels. There are 2 screws under the bottom of the arm rest on each side and then the bottom half of the panel including the arm rest pulls off - the rest are tension fasterners that will pop out. Once that is out, you can push the top piece of the trim panel up a bit and see where the wire plug goes on, there are already 2 plugs on the block and this will be the third one - one on each side. Now just put it all back together!

realoem.com has parts explosions that help if you are looking for the fasteners. Wish I took some pics when I did it!

Rob
Did you have to buy both the installation kit and the adapter before putting on the hardtop
Old 12-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002; titanium 325 Cic
i know nothing about the installation,but give me your input on my hardtop pics + question. i couldnt imagine not having it in the winter months, i love it!

~A

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251028

2002 convertible - 18 inch SSR GT3
Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 03 m3, waiting on m235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWayne View Post
i know nothing about the installation,but give me your input on my hardtop pics + question. i couldnt imagine not having it in the winter months, i love it!

~A

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251028

Not big on the 2-tone, I like the wheels, have you ever thought about replacing the front bumper with a m-tech or zhp bumper, biggest improvement you can make on an E46 besides wheels and interior trim IMHO.

Its your car, do whatever makes you happy with it, nothing else should matter.