Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 745i
760 Purchase wanted 645....

I'm not buying one, but I went to the dealer to look at a 6 this past week. I was really loving the 6, but once I sit in it. I thought I was giving up way too much and not gaining anything. Well when I told this to the sales rep he immediately took me to the 760. His selling point was when I don't have to bring it in for service. I was like what do you mean? He said they come and pick it up for you and give you another 760 to drive while yours is in the shop. I could not believe my ears. I was floored. That would be a nice trade off for the other 40k that I'm going to pay for it. No thanks. I had no idea. Also had a fridge in the back of it also. That would be cool if I was shaq an wanted to reach to the back seat for my hennesy for my late nights. I'm single with no kids. What the hell am I going to do with a damn fridge in my rear arm rest. Dummy!!!
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
It actually makes perfect sense to me.

Single guy rolls up in a 745i. Says he wants to look at a 6 because he wants to be bigtime. Gets in the 6 and thinks that it's actually a step down. So salesguy thinks, well what if we just made your current car better? Voila, 760: familiar form factor, but with just a little bit more of everything to make it just that much more ridiculous and to make customer think he's really, really bigtime.

What don't you get? Did you expect him to refer you to a Bentley store
Old 10-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

First of all, how is driving a 6 make someone big time. It's. I'm a courteous guy and would be the same guy if I drove a toyota corolla. Just chose not to. I have driven a few cars, and not one of them made me Big Time!! I said it was a step down for me personally because this was a pretty basic six. No AC seats.. No Phone... No Spare.. No room in the back seats.... No auto close.....No parking distance control.... Several reasons went into me declining this particular car. If I drove a 3 series I would probably consider a 6 to be big time, but it would not make ME bigtime. C'mon guy. You were so eager to make a degrading comment that you made yourself sound stupid. The whole topic was basically that if you buy a 750.. they bring you one to drive as a loaner. If I had wrote out the whole conversation with the sales guy maybe that would have made it easier for you to understand. Basically I am totally happy with my car, but the six has been appealing. No Harm No Foul... Have a great weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
It actually makes perfect sense to me.

Single guy rolls up in a 745i. Says he wants to look at a 6 because he wants to be bigtime. Gets in the 6 and thinks that it's actually a step down. So salesguy thinks, well what if we just made your current car better? Voila, 760: familiar form factor, but with just a little bit more of everything to make it just that much more ridiculous and to make customer think he's really, really bigtime.

What don't you get? Did you expect him to refer you to a Bentley store
Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_ace View Post
this was a pretty basic six. No AC seats.. No Phone... No Spare.. No room in the back seats.... No auto close.....No parking distance control....
Hmmm...well you should know that you can't get vented seats, a phone, a spare, room in the back seats or auto close (if you mean soft-close doors) on any 6, at any price.

And PDC has been standard since '05.

But enjoy the 7.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
I'm single with no kids. What the hell am I going to do with a damn fridge in my rear arm rest. Dummy!!!
Well, I enjoy a cold Coke once in a while...
I'm single, too, and I'm NOT Shaq....

But I agree with you - if somebody is interested and looking at a 6-series, he's typically not shopping around for a 760Li - it's simply a different type of car (and I'm leaving the price-difference aside..).

But since you are currently driving a 745, you also have to understand the SA: There's not much more to offer than a 6-series or a 760 when you're looking for an upgrade...An M5? Maybe, but you wouldn't get as much space as you currently have...An M6? No, if you didn't like the "standard" 6-series...So what else could he have offered you?

Remember, this guy was doing his job - trying to sell a car and so he simply tried....
Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i
If I was single, and could afford it, I would love that V12 760! with 21" wheels!

And they pick it up at your house for service - while dropping off another 760? I didn't know that - very nice touch. I wonder if that service is specific to that particular dealership.

[His] 2006 750i Sport - Jet Black, 21" wheels, premium sound, luxury seating, convenience, comfort access, Sirius (Jet)
[Hers] 2008 650i - Metallic Black, Sports, Prem Sound, HUD, HD Radio, Cold Weather, Sirius (Shiloh)

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by credit777 View Post
If I was single, and could afford it, I would love that V12 760! with 21" wheels!

And they pick it up at your house for service - while dropping off another 760? I didn't know that - very nice touch. I wonder if that service is specific to that particular dealership.

Yeah - I guess it's getting harder to afford this car if you're NOT a single without kids...

BTW, I have never heard about this 760-service...although our V12 hasn't been in service yet....
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 128i convertible
i think you guys missed the whole point with was...they pick up your car for you and drop off another 760 for you to drive! i didn't know that. i don't know if that would have made me get a 760 (probably not) but that's pretty cool service.

i guess it's like the old joke studdering john played on tommy lasorda:

sj: so what do you think about all those damn canadians playing in MLB?
tl: what? i don't agree with the premise of your question!
sj: uh...s s s so what do you think about all those damn canadians playing in MLB?
tl: i don't believe you! who are you? i can't believe you're asking me a question like that. i don't agree with the premise of your question!
sj: s s s so what do you think about all those damn canadians playing in MLB?

heh...

RVD.

2012 750i AH - Imperial Blue, Oyster and Black Nappa, Driver Assist Package, Sirius. ED: 2/27/2012 Dropped Off: 3/1/2012 Ready for Pick Up: 4/13/2012, Actual Pick Up: 4/16/2012

2009 BMW 128i Convertible

RIP
2008 Chrysler Town & Country
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Old 10-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I am too young to drive a 760. Perhaps in another 20 years. For the money I would take the MB CLS.

In the mean time, I prefer a yourhful coupe to a big sedan. However, I think the 7 is a nice car, just not for me at this point in life.

Last edited by chuck92103; 10-20-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I am too young to drive a 760. Perhaps in another 20 years. For the money I would take the MB CLS.

In the mean time, I prefer a yourhful coupe to a big sedan. However, I think the 7 is a nice car, just not for me at this point in life.
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about - I'm 27 and when I'm driving the 760Li, I'm sure 90% of the people think "Ah, today he's allowed to drive daddy's car...". I simply love driving it once in a while but as a daily driver? As you said - not yet....It's hard to identify yourself with such a tank at that age...
Although I love my mother's car - I prefer driving my M5.

Driving the M5 is more appropriate for my age - hard to explain why, but you somehow feel it as soon as you are behind the steering-wheel...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 PM
BMW

Mein Auto: 06750iSL55AMG-05BentleyGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about - I'm 27 and when I'm driving the 760Li, I'm sure 90% of the people think "Ah, today he's allowed to drive daddy's car...". I simply love driving it once in a while but as a daily driver? As you said - not yet....It's hard to identify yourself with such a tank at that age...
It is interesting that one of your considerations in buying a new car is to care about what other people think. I honestly could care less about what people think. In all frankness, I just feel the bitter look of some older men when they see me rolling in a 7 series or the Bentley GT or the Mercedes SL 55 AMG. They just wouldn't stop staring!! In the O.C. and L.A., almost all young people who are either wealthy, famous or both drive cars that are considered ''appropriate'' for older people. Like one time I was at a gas station and it was really nice to see other guys my age rolling up in exotic cars. Let's see, I recall seeing guys in their early twenties each driving the following: Audi S8, Cayenne Turbo, Aston Martin Vanquish, and of course a Bentley. You see Bentleys here like you see moms with E- classes in the suburbs lol. BMW has recently began to join the exotic car club with cars like the 760, the M6 and probably the upcoming B7. To me any car over the $100k limit is exotic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	model emblem.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	88997   Click image for larger version

Name:	03_4.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	88998   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	88999  

Last edited by beimerdude; 10-20-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

Do I prefer a "big sedan" rather than a "youthful coupe"? Good gawd man, am I old!?

Wait a minute I said the 760i - I most definately did not say the 760iL!

[His] 2006 750i Sport - Jet Black, 21" wheels, premium sound, luxury seating, convenience, comfort access, Sirius (Jet)
[Hers] 2008 650i - Metallic Black, Sports, Prem Sound, HUD, HD Radio, Cold Weather, Sirius (Shiloh)

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
First of all, how is driving a 6 make someone big time. It's. I'm a courteous guy and would be the same guy if I drove a toyota corolla. Just chose not to. I have driven a few cars, and not one of them made me Big Time!! I said it was a step down for me personally because this was a pretty basic six. No AC seats.. No Phone... No Spare.. No room in the back seats.... No auto close.....No parking distance control.... Several reasons went into me declining this particular car. If I drove a 3 series I would probably consider a 6 to be big time, but it would not make ME bigtime. C'mon guy. You were so eager to make a degrading comment that you made yourself sound stupid. The whole topic was basically that if you buy a 750.. they bring you one to drive as a loaner. If I had wrote out the whole conversation with the sales guy maybe that would have made it easier for you to understand. Basically I am totally happy with my car, but the six has been appealing. No Harm No Foul... Have a great weekend.
Hey, you're the one who asked for opinions. Then you jump on the first guy to offer a theory as to why they dealt with you the way they did. Do you want opinions or not?
Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 AM

How was the whole topic "basically that if you buy a 760.. they bring you one to drive as a loaner?" You call the sales guy a dummy for showing you a 760i and you say how you didn't like the 6, but the whole topic was about the 760 loaner?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

good Lord. I was simply asking if anyone knew about the service if you buy a 760... I recant.... I'm sorry that I did not like the 6 compared to my 7. It's my choice.... I do have the right to my opinion.... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvtt View Post
How was the whole topic "basically that if you buy a 760.. they bring you one to drive as a loaner?" You call the sales guy a dummy for showing you a 760i and you say how you didn't like the 6, but the whole topic was about the 760 loaner?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 AM

Yes, it's your choice. But I don't see how you think your whole post was about the 760 lonaer program.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Banned

easy... I'm the who who posted it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvtt View Post
Yes, it's your choice. But I don't see how you think your whole post was about the 760 lonaer program.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Post I Bet You Will Think Next Time...

Quote:
good Lord. I was simply asking if anyone knew about the service if you buy a 760... I recant.... I'm sorry that I did not like the 6 compared to my 7. It's my choice.... I do have the right to my opinion.... right?
Instead of your story, which was all over the place, maybe you should have made the comment and posed the question about the 760i or 760Li and the service one could get by owning it.

Your first mistake was your comparison of the 760 to 645 (Entry 6 Series).

Honestly, I personally could care less about your comparison because you know nothing about a 6er (Based on your description) and little about the 760. Let's just say your post was hmmmm, USELESS!

The service you mentioned is dealer specific and is not a general BMW policy. The dealer does not
have to offer a BMW loaner but they do provide loaners to some not all customers...

Enjoy your Quarter-to-Eight...

Oh, one more thing... I own a 750Li and my dealer will pick up my car, wash it, and provide me a loaner (Sometimes a 750, sometimes something else Bimmer). Anyway this just proves that your post was hmmmm, USELESS!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li

Last edited by gbelton; 10-21-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Banned

Okay... I'm sorry, I recant.... Does this sound better? Hey does anyone know if it's BMW's Policy to pick up your car if it's a 760, and bring you another one to drive? Does that sound better.

Okay now what I really want to say to all your smart ass comments. Okay, anyone that has anything to say... You can kiss both sides of My A$$. Hey, aparantly I did not know a lot about a six. I have never sat in one, nor do I hang out at the dealer to learn every quirk about a car. I go find a car that I like, I buy it; if I don't like it I don't buy it.. That simple! Mr. I have a 750 and my dealer picks it up and washes it when want to... Congrats... I am honestly happy for you. Now take a close look.... Take a really close look. C'mon a little closer. Closer. I REALLY DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!!!! I thought this site was to help answer questions and get tips pointers or news... not to downgrade people to make yourself look good. You must have been the kid in college that did not get any girls or got his ass whipped all the time. Now you have a 750, and think you are the big man on campus. People like you are funny to me. I don't call a 80k coupe entry level at all. Useless post? Next time a post is useless. Don't make yourself a part of it with a JACKASS reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton View Post
Instead of your story, which was all over the place, maybe you should have made the comment and posed the question about the 760i or 760Li and the service one could get by owning it.

Your first mistake was your comparison of the 760 to 645 (Entry 6 Series).

Honestly, I personally could care less about your comparison because you know nothing about a 6er (Based on your description) and little about the 760. Let's just say your post was hmmmm, USELESS!

The service you mentioned is dealer specific and is not a general BMW policy. The dealer does not
have to offer a BMW loaner but they do provide loaners to some not all customers...

Enjoy your Quarter-to-Eight...

Oh, one more thing... I own a 750Li and my dealer will pick up my car, wash it, and provide me a loaner (Sometimes a 750, sometimes something else Bimmer). Anyway this just proves that your post was hmmmm, USELESS!