Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT
Depth of speakers (Touring)

Hi Everyone,

Time to redo the sound system in my 2000 Touring, and I am having trouble finding the depth dimensions of the speakers in the door and the ceiling. Any know this offhand? I have a history of buying speakers that are the right diameter but the wrong depth.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

How important is it to you to keep the oem head unit and audio modules? If *you must* keep them, then the only proper, currently easily available speaker solutions that are a direct swap to fit replacement is the specific package from BSW. These speakers are the correct size with mounting holes in the same place as the oem ones, the correct impedance as well. They also have the advantage of making the oem audio modules sound better as well. They're seemingly out of stock on their website, if you have DSP in your car then they're $445 and are listed on their website as available currently. If you can find a set of Boston Acoustics SC50's ( i think this is the model number) then they'll work well with the oem audio - they withdrew from the car audio market a number of years ago now so it's hard to find their products anymore. If you use other usual car audio speakers, they'll 'give you sound output' but they won't quite sound right.

If your are willing to forgo all the old oem audio modules and head unit, then you have plenty of choice. You can update the head unit to a modern unit with all modern features built in, and then choose any car audio speakers you'd like as well. I personally wouldn't bother changing the rear roof mounted drivers as they point the sound directly downwards to the load area floor.

To give you an idea of my Touring audio upgrades have a read here
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...mate-Audio-BMW (scroll about halfway down the page)

I understand if you can't stretch to a full audio upgrade like i've done there, but you can do parts of the install in steps over time to help with the costs. I can safely say that the audio performance increase over oem is phenomenal and the overall cost is very reasonable compared to what many owners typically think it'd cost to get that kind of musical audio performance

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Check Crutchfield. I think they had it at around 2 1/4" for the rear deck and 2.5" for the doors.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
I got the BSW system for my 2000 540iT and it sounded good but it was really over priced. I would not waste my money on it again. On my 2003 525iT I replaced front tweeter and mid-bass with Pioneer TSA1305C. Like the BSW system, I skipped upgrading the mid range in the front door. I installed the front factory mid-bass speakers to the rear overhead as they are slightly better quality. Then I installed a Kenwood KSW-SW10 powered subwoofer in the factory location to finish it off. It fits behind the factory cover and is easily removed for battery access. Even with the sub it is far less expensive than the BSW system and I think it sounds better.

Here are some pictures of the sub install:

Old 02-01-2015, 06:04 AM

Hi Dennis, I'm not going to be keeping the head unit. In fact, I'm probably replacing it with a single din medi only unit. I really like your setup, but I'm going for something that will be brutally cost effective and convenient. This is my wife's commuter car. She's no audiophile. But likes to listen to her jams and talk to family on the phone during her 40 minute commute. Right now the stereo is a hot mess. (No hands free cell phone, door speakers that start to pop and crackle after 10 minutes of use, and a sub that hasn't made a peep since we got the car a year ago. I'm starting with the door speakers and then the HU and then the sub.

Any advice in those three areas is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Hans747,

Understood! A simple yet effective way forward for you would be a single din unit with conveniences like bluetooth mobile phone hands free as you mention. Don't skimp on quality and get a reputable brand head unit - Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer etc who all offer some good single DIN units. Get some mid priced 2 way front component speakers at the same time as the head unit and you'll have that cost effective yet nicely featured setup. By running RCA's to the rear of the car, then when you come to the subwoofer, you could get a decent 5 channel amplifier. By choosing the front components well, they'll sound even better when powered by a better amplifier. The second pair of channels you can use to run the roof speakers even though they're badly placed. The subwoofer channel obviously to run the subwoofer. In my design, the subwoofer isn't 'covered' by anything so all the bass flows out. In the example above, I'd guess when the cubby cover is on, a lot of the bass will remain inside and you'll get the vibrations coming through, which might be fine for you but is very inefficent.

All of the items you need can be purchased at discounters as well so costs can be kept very reasonable.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM

I'm thinking about this HU. Affordable, with Siri compatibility and handsfree calling.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT31...DC-BT318U.html

Or this one, which has the adjustable diplay color.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMBT...MM-BT312U.html

The downside is that I have to buy a steering wheel control adapter kit. But they are only about $30 on Amazon.

Last edited by hans747; 02-01-2015 at 10:21 AM.